PDA

View Full Version : Student Leadership

kjolana1124
03-24-2010, 12:34 AM
So I was thinking. There's so many team's out there, and no two run the same. Because of this, I have a few questions for you all:

What's the student management structure of your team? How is it set up? How is it decided what students have these roles? Do you even call it a management team?

What sort of jobs do these people have? Do they each run a subteam? Do they handle all aspects of team running?

How much of a role do mentors play in assisting this management team? How many of the management decisions go through mentors first?

1124, for the past three or four years now, has had a five person management team. This team consists of a president, VP, community liaison, secretary, and treasurer. All of these are student-elected positions. Students who wish to run for any of these rolls must be nominated, prepare a speech, then have debates as well as a Q & A session. The new management team members are then announced at the team's end of year dinner. This year, our management team consists of four seniors and one junior (myself).

Each role, obviously, has a very different job description. For sake of ease:

Secretary: Keeps attendance, records of all forms, and updates the website with information and notes for future events
Treasurer: Parts list, taxes, handles the cash box. I must admit I don't know a terrible amount about this role
Community Liaison (Me!): Basically in charge of EVERYTHING on the team that deals with no one on the team. Any and all grants, fundraisers, demos, spirit, and other events have to run through them first. They're normally the second to speak at events, next to the president.
Vice President: In the event that the president gets hit by a rock, they're in charge. In most cases, it's up to the VP to keep order and help pass messages to the rest of the team.
President: Everything and anything. They have to plan meetings, talk to the school, make sure everything is on top of everything; no one detail passes by him. He's normally the first to talk for the team at public events.

Mentor role varies a lot. The management team, in many cases, will try and have periodic conference calls to plan for upcoming events. There's also a management team email group for transferring information and/or documents of interest. In both cases, our coach is attached and/or he's still on the phone.

This is just my two sense, I can't wait to here other people's opinions :)

Hawiian Cadder
03-24-2010, 01:28 AM
our team works something like this

Captain: usually someone not intimately involved in any 1 area, yet works on everything.

CAD/DESIGN: decide how to build the robot, once the team decides on a strategy, we design the robot, and are responsible for ordering parts, and overseeing the construction, we do some work, mainly with the CnC mill.

Shop: People who build parts, the head shop man is in charge of making difficult to machine parts, as well as overseeing the assembly of the robot.

Electronics/Programing: The electronics people and the programmers work hard to get the prototype running, as well as to make sure all of the electronics work before the actual robot is built.

Chairman's: there are 2-4 top chairman's people who all work nearly exclusivity on chairman's.

Other people: the other people on the team do whatever is needed, wherever it is needed.

our team does not really require much leadership, as there are only about 15 people who are extremely devout to the club, the captain is responsible for making sure people are on task and working, as well as organizing events. the Design people, are basically in charge of making the robot run, they oversee the shop people and work with them.

usually some of the senior team members are a part of more than one thing, in our team, there are 5 people who work on a lot of different stuff to organize the construction of the robot.

Tanner
03-24-2010, 06:14 AM
My team's seems generally pretty simple compared to things I've read about on FIRSTwiki.

As far as executives go we have:

President - Leads the team, gives official word on major things if needed, overall spokesperson
Vice-President - Available in case President dies, and aids President in maintaining tasks
Secretary - Handles communication of meetings to members and records any meeting notes if any
Treasurer - Handles any money (supposively) and is in charge of the BOM when it comes to it
Historian - Handles history of the club via camera, still cameras, or newspaper articles

Overall, we're not like a up-tight kind of club. Voting requires a resume sent in via email and we'll surprise them on voting day with a speech.

As far as like groups go, it varies depending on what we're doing. Here's a few I can remember without going and looking at our group selection list:

Electrical - Wires the robot and make sure no magic smoke appears
Mechanical - Wheels, motors, 'n things
Programming - Handles the 0's and 1's, works with Electrical and Mechanical to make sure the robot does the right thing
Awards - Looks over any sub-groups to make sure we're working on awards

*can't think of any more*

As I said, we're really relaxed and when we're working its not like "hey - I need a mechanical person over here", but the groups just aid us in the beginning when finding where to put the freshman when they want to start.

Oh yeah, usually each group is "managed" by the most experienced person, if there needs to be a leader.

-Tanner

Kims Robot
03-24-2010, 08:26 AM
1511's leadership structure and process is documented here:
http://penfieldrobotics.com/team/Leadership.php

Specific Details on Student Leadership Team Roles are here:
http://penfieldrobotics.com/forum/index.php?topic=2759.0

Most decisions are made between the students and mentors. There are some things like finance that have final approval through the mentors, but for the most part the students and mentors work together to come up with ideas, solutions, structures, plans, etc.

We feel that student leadership is as if not more important to grow than engineering prowess. We try to encourage every student to lead an event, fundraiser, subteam, activity or step up as a student leader. By the time they graduate 1511, nearly every student has lead something.

Best story is that I had one of our graduates tell me he had his first real job interview (for an internship) yesterday, and he was so relieved that he had gone through our leadership application process because he felt completely prepared!

MarkoRamius1086
03-24-2010, 09:17 AM
our team works something like this

Captain: usually someone not intimately involved in any 1 area, yet works on everything.

CAD/DESIGN: decide how to build the robot, once the team decides on a strategy, we design the robot, and are responsible for ordering parts, and overseeing the construction, we do some work, mainly with the CnC mill.

Shop: People who build parts, the head shop man is in charge of making difficult to machine parts, as well as overseeing the assembly of the robot.

Electronics/Programing: The electronics people and the programmers work hard to get the prototype running, as well as to make sure all of the electronics work before the actual robot is built.

Chairman's: there are 2-4 top chairman's people who all work nearly exclusivity on chairman's.

Other people: the other people on the team do whatever is needed, wherever it is needed.

our team does not really require much leadership, as there are only about 15 people who are extremely devout to the club, the captain is responsible for making sure people are on task and working, as well as organizing events. the Design people, are basically in charge of making the robot run, they oversee the shop people and work with them.

usually some of the senior team members are a part of more than one thing, in our team, there are 5 people who work on a lot of different stuff to organize the construction of the robot.

Wow. That sounds exactly like our team! We have two captains this year... but the number of captains changes about every year.

big1boom
03-24-2010, 10:04 AM
2022 is an entirely student lead team.

We have an 8 member student board
2 Mechanical Leads (Drivebase/CAD and Manipulator)
3 Control System Leads (Electronics and Programming)
1 Treasurer
1 Communications Director (Awards, Team e-mails, contact with other teams)
1 Extra person who is able to help out with most things

This student board makes all the decisions for the team. The only exceptions are strategy and design because we involve the entire team in those decisions. Normally at board meetings we will have one or two mentors there, but it is not necessary. The mentors are allowed to present ideas, but they do not get a vote in the decision.

blackbrigadeer
03-24-2010, 01:12 PM
Our team has three student leaders: the Business Lead, who oversees our Business Division, our Build Lead, who oversees the Build Division, and the Team Captain, who does administrative work and behind the scenes support.

Within both divisions, students are able to become Task Leads, making them the head of their own project (for example: drive train, bumpers, scouting, etc) and giving them valuable leadership experience as they move up through the team. All members are strongly encouraged to become Task Leads, though many of our members work on tasks under the Task Leads.

Elections decide our Build Lead, Business Lead, and Team Captain, but our Task Leads are whoever steps up to the challenge. We have weekly Task Lead meetings (Task Leads + 3 leaders) and weekly team leader meetings (3 leaders + mentors + anyone else interested). Notes are posted online for the team to see.

We've found that this system works pretty well for us [:

Josh Fox
03-24-2010, 03:31 PM
For the full breakdown of Team RUSH's team organization you download our Toolkit for Success, which documents everything our team does here (http://teamrush27.net/whoweare/printeddocumentation.html).

So here's the summarized version:

2 Students are Team Co-Captains
1 Student Captain for each sub-team
Chassis Sub-Team Captain
Mechanism Sub-Team Captain
CIG (Community Impact Group) Sub-Team Captain
Controls (Includes wiring and sensors) Sub-Team Captain
Programming Sub-Team Captain
Above Chassis (Handles mechanisms not covered elsewhere) Sub-Team Captain

Then there's usually 1 full-time adult leader devoted to each sub-team as well.

Jon Jack
03-24-2010, 04:28 PM
We've set up our student leadership as such:

Direction of Engineering - They're responsible for anything related to engineering.
Manager of Mechanical Design - They're responsible for any mechanical sub-systems of our robot. They're also responsible for organizing our spare parts and tools.
Manager of Software & Electrical - They're responsible for all the electronics and software on our robot.
Manager of Strategy & Scouting - They're responsible for organizing and training our scouts and working with the drive coach on developing match strategies.

Direction of Public Relations - They're responsible for the non-engineering side of our team.
Manager of Outreach - They're responsible for working with our community partners and sponsors.
Manager of Finance - They're responsible for handling grants and maintaining our business plan.
Mentoring Coordinator - They work with the FLL and FTC teams we mentor to make sure that each team has mentors at each one of their meetings.

Once a week we have a managers meeting where the student leadership and our lead mentors sit down and discuss the direction of the team. Managers report on the progress of the projects their group is responsible for.

baruffir
03-27-2010, 12:02 AM
The Enforcer's bylaws can be found here:
http://www.chiefdelphi.com/media/papers/2356

They provide details about the structure of the entire team. Here's a brief overview.

Officers
Captain: Oversee the entire team, coordinate team meetings, oversee other officers
Secretary: Keep team records, email out updates on what got done during a meeting, and an agenda for the next meeting
Treasurer: $$$ Team budget, talk with sponsors, Fundraising
Engineering Representative: "Project Manager" for the robot, coordinate with engineering mentors, oversee engineering committees (see below)
Director of Community Outreach: In charge of all outreach efforts, oversee non-engineering committees (see below)

Engineering Committees
Systems: integration of robot parts, CAD, rules
Programming: code, control board
Electrical: wiring
Mechanical: base, drive train, manipulator
Robot Support: crate, transporter (robot cart), practice field

Non-engineering Committees
Dream FIRST: leads our team's science literacy initiative, coordinates the planning and execution of all events (see http://www.dreamfirst.org for more information on this program)
Animation: develops and submits the animation
Fundraising: leads team fundraising efforts
Archiving: Chairman's Award, Woodie Flowers Award, document team history and accomplishments
Team Member Support: food, buttons, t-shirt design, promote team spirit
Technology and Media: videos, pictures, website

Katie_UPS
03-27-2010, 06:38 PM
This year, we're a team of about 10-15 students (depending on what you would call a member). Our structure is

Leaders: Any student that takes guidance is a leader. There was no assigned "leader" this year (you don't need a title to be a leader)(my favorite quote).
Builders: Anyone that walks in the shop and ends up making something.
Programmers: the most defined group, they program.
Chairmans: Anyone (commonly 1 full time and 1 part time person) who is willing to work on Chairmans/Woodie Flowers/all submissions
Animation: More defined like programming, they animate.
Media: Got a camera? Are you taking pictures? You're media (but a specific two-three make a banquet video each year)

We decide strategy and basic robot design (function) as a team. We then have at least one kid working on CAD with mentors (we're rookie dominated this year, but we're training them to be FIRST buffs).

Mentors and Parents (this year) handle most of the funds and stuff. Outreach is student led but not a specific group. Because we're so small, there's a lot of overlap, and not too much distinction. :)

dancingfool
04-09-2010, 10:01 PM
The Fighting Pi has a different kind of structure. We come from a rural area and have what I would consider an average sized team having 25 students this year. I'll describe it briefly, but please refer to the picture I’ve attached, it outlines the division nicely. We are divided as follows:

Our Head Mentor is our school liaison/coach.

The head mentor nominates student for the book keeper position. This person keeps track of all team funds, as well as community service and outreach hours as well as refunds. Although this is a head mentor nomination, it is a student elected position. We also have:

1 Mechanical Division Captain +Lead mentor
1 Controls Division Captain +Lead mentor
1 Business Division Captain +Lead mentor

It is the team captain’s job to preside over others in their department, hand out jobs, keeping people busy, etc. They are also responsible for communicating with mentors, maintaining good morale, and reporting habitual poor performance.

Each captain is assisted by a "lead mentor". This mentor is in place to make sure tasks are being delegated out, and completed in a timely and efficient manner. This position is decided upon amongst the mentors as they see fit prior to October 1st (The Start of our season).

From here it is fairly simple, the mechanical and controls division will decide on their organization based on the year’s game, what it requires etc...
However, the business division is much more strict because it does not vary much year to year. So, the business division is divided into sub-committees such as: swag, newsletter, spirit, awards, scouting etc...

These subgroups vary from 3-5 students, and every team member is required to participate in at least two of them. This helps to ensure that the workload is spread across the team and that we are constantly training our successors.

Also, our mentors and students are on equal ground, this allows for students to be able to voice their opinions freely and for a more relaxed environment. we like to use the argument that no idea is stupid, because even if you think it is, it may be the best idea, or lead to another idea that turns out to be the best option.

Lastly, I've attached our by-laws and management sections if you'd like to do a little bit off reading. The go into complete detail and aren't too long.

Barngirl425
04-09-2010, 10:05 PM
my team is tiny, 10 people max and this year we were pretty much all freshmen. This year we only had

1 student leader who actually lead everything meetings and delegating ect
1 programming leader

Faculty advisors and mentors are on equal grounds with the student leaders. it makes for a real cooperative relationship and we do only have 2 mentors (1 programming and 1 environmental engineer) If you have any questions please let me know

kjolana1124
04-09-2010, 10:09 PM
However, the business division is much more strict because it does not vary much year to year. So, the business division is divided into sub-committees such as: swag, newsletter, spirit, awards, scouting etc...

I can't help but wonder...swag?

dancingfool
04-09-2010, 10:13 PM
SWAG is by far the awesome-est acronym ever it means

S : stuff
W: we
A: all
G: get

meaning buttons, lanyards, pens, you name it... :D

Karibou
04-09-2010, 10:17 PM
I can't help but wonder...swag?

Pins, buttons, keychains, lanyards...it's just another piece of terminology for "give-aways"

It's nice to see that we're not the only team who uses the word "swag" ;)

dancingfool
04-09-2010, 10:20 PM
Pins, buttons, keychains, lanyards...it's just another piece of terminology for "give-aways"

It's nice to see that we're not the only team who uses the word "swag" ;)

hehe yeah...we picked it up from somewhere...lol ;)

kjolana1124
04-09-2010, 10:22 PM
Ohhh it all makes sense! That Ke$ha song...okay I get it. I was wondering why the dudes were lining up. Clearly they all wanted her buttons and bracelets. I knew it couldn't have been her personality :rolleyes:

aboppana
04-15-2010, 10:08 PM
This is the structure of Team 1923:

Team Captains- We have three this year and they are basically in charge of maintaining the team and making sure that everything that needs to get done gets done

Then we have various subgroups with a captain in each one:

Build-obviously the people who build the robot

Programming- they work with the build team to make sure that we can control our robot and that it isn't a doorstop

Entrepreneurship- they organize fundraisers and try to have sponsors support our team and are in charge of the entrepreneuralship plan

Animation- they make the animation

CAD-they CAD the bot

Spirit-they are in charge of bumpers and make up new cheers for competition

For drivers, we have driver tryouts to get the best drivers to control our robot, and everyone scouts at competitions

smurfgirl
04-15-2010, 11:58 PM
Usually I love the discussions in these threads... but considering your team is my team, I can't really add much here. :)

TPNigl
04-21-2010, 05:32 PM
We don't really have leadership per se. Usually anyone who is looking for help usually knows which student to go to. We do have teams in a way.

Mechanical - People who do motors, building, etc.

Electrical (Programming is often included under this) - People who wire and program the robot. Often enough, there are so few programmers, that we help wire as well.

Chairman's - Assorted group of people who usually do Chairman's, Woodie Flower's, and the other awards, as well as animation.

Anything else is usually handled by many different people as a whole.

kirtar
04-22-2010, 07:52 AM
I hope I can accurately describe this...

First we have a student elected President, Vice President, and Treasurer which at this point is more to satisfy Student Council requirements than anything else (they only recently forced us to have these specific positions, so they have not been fully developed). There is also a college mentor who is the team Director. In addition, the team is split into subteams for technical, animation, outreach and initiatives, and website. A mentor is designated the technical coordinator and is the head mentor for that subteam. Apart from this there aren't declared positions for mentors as far as I know.

In addition, within each subteam has a "lead student" which tends to be a more senior member of the team who knows a bit more about how that subteam's project works than anyone else. For the animation subteam this is the only leadership present within its group. The website subteam was more fortunate to have one/two mentor(s) (one had to leave before build season) in addition to a lead student.

Also, last, and probably most important are the coach and assistant coach. The assistant coach, Carl Agnew, is a former member of the team who has been involved with the team for all but two years of its existence. The coach is a founding mentor of the team and a teacher at our school, Steve Florence. These two put in countless hours (especially Flo) to make sure we can do what we do (e.g. be there so we can actually use the machine shop).

angelawence11
04-22-2010, 08:03 AM
Wow, ours seems kind of different from everybody elses.
We don't have "capatains" we have subteam leads.
Theres the head of electrical, machining, design, programming, 3ds, and fundraising. Other than that, we don't have as much leadership such as president or treasurer. Our system seems to work pretty well though! :)

Ben Martin
04-22-2010, 11:35 AM
On 1747, we have student leads for CAD/manufacturing, electrical, programming, public relations, and everything IT (animation and website). We also have a president, who basically fills the role of a team captain, and a vice president.

For college leadership, we have a director who fills the role of student-mentor-parent liaison and team facilitator and a technical coordinator who fills the role of chief engineer.

kirtar
04-22-2010, 02:27 PM
Wow, ours seems kind of different from everybody elses.
We don't have "capatains" we have subteam leads.
I don't think we would have "captains" (aka Pres, VP, Treas) if we were not required to by the Student Council (there's a policy that all school clubs must have these positions at least).