PDA

View Full Version : Team media pass at Nationals?

Bethie42
03-29-2010, 09:07 PM
Hi,
I heard a rumor that this year the policy for team media passes at Championships has changed, that you had to sign up in advance, as opposed to previous years when (I have heard) each team automatically gets a pass with their sign-in packet.

I will be recording our team's matches with a large video camera on loan from our local community-access TV station, and really really hope I can be down on the floor with the camera and tripod and all...

Also, to clarify, if you have a media pass you are allowed on the floor during matches, so long as you aren't interfering with the referees and such?

Thank you!

IndySam
03-29-2010, 09:18 PM
Haven't heard a thing about that rumor. In the past anyone on the team could use the pass.

There is a media area setup for this purpose on the floor. I don't know about positioning a large camera because the area is limited. You may have negotiate with other teams.

Zholl
03-30-2010, 08:15 AM
Also, to clarify, if you have a media pass you are allowed on the floor during matches, so long as you aren't interfering with the referees and such?

I believe you can only be on the field during your own team's matches as well, at least that's how it's been in my experience. Otherwise, as long as you're out of everyone's way, you should be fine, though I would have to agree with Sam about positioning your camera and tripod. Depending on the situation, it can get a little awkward with just a handheld SLR

thefro526
03-30-2010, 09:23 AM
Hi,
I heard a rumor that this year the policy for team media passes at Championships has changed, that you had to sign up in advance, as opposed to previous years when (I have heard) each team automatically gets a pass with their sign-in packet.

I will be recording our team's matches with a large video camera on loan from our local community-access TV station, and really really hope I can be down on the floor with the camera and tripod and all...

Thank you!

As far as I know and have heard, each team will have access to one media pass, and then outside media outlets can apply for a media pass of their own.

The person wearing the media pass is granted field access and I've seen camera people stand in the driver's station before to get shots... I wouldn't recommend getting that close though. A good rule of thumb though, is to ask how close you can get during a match before you get too close.

Bethie42
03-30-2010, 09:44 AM
Alright, thank you everyone! Looks like it was just one of those rumors that float around every robotics lab ;)

Thanks for the tips too...I'm planning on staying with our robot and drive team most of the time except when we're on the field, and occasionally might film from the stands, but I'm guessing it is going to be pretty hard to get from the pit to the stands, what with the long walk and toting the tripod...

Oh yes: I assume it would be possible for me to stay with the drive team as they are going out on the field? Having only experienced the Autodesk Oregon regional for the past few years, I'd think it would be possible...unless at Championships the hallways are even more packed (which I'm prepared for).

thefro526
03-30-2010, 09:47 AM
Oh yes: I assume it would be possible for me to stay with the drive team as they are going out on the field? Having only experienced the Autodesk Oregon regional for the past few years, I'd think it would be possible...unless at Championships the hallways are even more packed (which I'm prepared for).

There is more than enough room for you to walk from the pits with your team but, depending on the size and weight of your equipment you may want to figure out a way to do this as few times as possible because the walk can be a bit long...

JudyVandy
03-30-2010, 10:36 AM
I believe team photographers are only allowed on the side of the field away from the scoring table during their team's matches. In years past, each team was given one pass and could request and sign for a second one.

XaulZan11
03-30-2010, 02:35 PM
I believe team photographers are only allowed on the side of the field away from the scoring table during their team's matches. .

Correct. Check out page 6: http://www.usfirst.org/uploadedFiles/Community/FRC/Events/2010/2010_FRC_CMP_Essential%20_Information.pdf

Zholl
04-01-2010, 05:32 PM
There is more than enough room for you to walk from the pits with your team but, depending on the size and weight of your equipment you may want to figure out a way to do this as few times as possible because the walk can be a bit long...

I agree. Could you maybe give us a bit more info on what you're packing? Someone might have some suggestions for carrying your gear around, but it'd certainly be easier if we had a better idea of how big your gear is

Bethie42
04-01-2010, 09:55 PM
Well! I just talked to the TV station manager who is supplying the camera, and it turns out it will Not be the Sony Handycam [the pro edition...10 lbs. or so] but instead a much smaller HD camera, which is the size of a regular camcorder. The tripod also is only about two feet long when folded up.

This is a huge relief for me, I was thinking I would have to do some endurance training for the famous Long Walk from pits to field, hehe.

Thank you all!

Zholl
04-02-2010, 11:34 PM
good to hear! you aught to be set, though if there isn't a bag for that tripod, you might want to rig up some kind of strap for it, but that should be as easy as rigging a couple of nylon webbing straps to a leg

ExTexan
04-04-2010, 10:48 PM
I can't speak for this year but last year media passes were generally allowed to travel the tunnels with their team but are separated from them as they get close to being on deck or the match before. At that time you need to move to the edge of the stadium, nearest the seating, for their match and film from there. It's really not a bad filming area.

Zholl
04-05-2010, 05:06 PM
I can't speak for this year but last year media passes were generally allowed to travel the tunnels with their team but are separated from them as they get close to being on deck or the match before. At that time you need to move to the edge of the stadium, nearest the seating, for their match and film from there. It's really not a bad filming area.

that sounds about right, though I don't remember having to step away from the drive team until they actually went to place the robot on the field. I'm not sure if I'm just misunderstanding you or if it was maybe enforced a little differently between the fields

ExTexan
04-05-2010, 05:18 PM
though I don't remember having to step away from the drive team until they actually went to place the robot on the field.

I'm sure it is enforced differently from time to time and place to place. The intent of that rule is to discourage teams from giving media passes to "coaches/mentors" who stay with the team until the last minute, participate in the strategy sessions with the alliances, and generally turn their 4 person drive team into a 5 person drive team which is unfair to those that don't.

I have asked many people with media passes where their cameras are. I do understand the desire and usually "no harm done" by the extra student hanging around but I try to enforce it fairly for all.

Zholl
04-05-2010, 08:45 PM
I'm sure it is enforced differently from time to time and place to place. The intent of that rule is to discourage teams from giving media passes to "coaches/mentors" who stay with the team until the last minute, participate in the strategy sessions with the alliances, and generally turn their 4 person drive team into a 5 person drive team which is unfair to those that don't.

I have asked many people with media passes where their cameras are. I do understand the desire and usually "no harm done" by the extra student hanging around but I try to enforce it fairly for all.

makes sense. I don't personally remember having issues with it, but then again what am I there for except to catch anything the drivers do that's interesting? and I will admit I'm guilty of trying to listen in on the strategy meetings :D