PDA

View Full Version : FIRST RAP???

JohnFogarty
04-16-2010, 09:55 PM
http://usfirst.org/uploadedFiles/Dream%20It.%20Design%20It.%20Build%20It.mp3

we laughed our butts off when we heard this at the championship today XD

Tetraman
04-16-2010, 09:57 PM
Not as good at the two other songs that were made for FIRST.

Greg Marra
04-16-2010, 09:58 PM

Those make great ringtones at The Championship!

Tanner
04-16-2010, 10:12 PM
I thought the song was ok. Not the best song, but something I certainly would listen to. Little bit too much synth/modulation, but still good in my opinion.

-Tanner

bobwrit
04-16-2010, 10:29 PM

Other two? What other 2 songs?

ttldomination
04-16-2010, 10:30 PM
The "...What The?" was my response. It seems like an extremely strained song. Things just don't seem to flow, and it makes me wonder who did the editing.

But I did listen to it, and my favorite verse was along the lines of:
Dean Kamen,
He's the man.
If he can't do it,
maybe you can.

Tanner
04-16-2010, 10:37 PM
The "...What The?" was my response. It seems like an extremely strained song. Things just don't seem to flow, and it makes me wonder who did the editing.

Yeah it did seem strained in some places. Like when the guy singing is trying to rhyme/rap "Science and Technology"

-Tanner

Travis Hoffman
04-16-2010, 11:14 PM
Other two? What other 2 songs?

Art's going to reach his bandwidth limit if we keep this up:

http://www.chiefdelphi.com/forums/showpost.php?p=506701&postcount=141

CraigHickman
04-16-2010, 11:18 PM
Autotune needs to die. Several years ago, preferably.

santosh
04-17-2010, 12:06 AM

As someone heavily involved in the mainstream hiphop/urban music industry... If autotune was dead several years ago, then most of the stuff put out by many artists would not be as high quality.
"Autotune" is used to help tube voices to a certain extent by many artists in pop and rap. Altering certain settings within it allow for the "T-pain" voice.

And yeah, no offense FIRST, but that song was absolutely horrible. I nearly had a hernia form upon listening to it the first time.

CraigHickman
04-17-2010, 12:14 AM
As someone heavily involved in the mainstream hiphop/urban music industry... If autotune was dead several years ago, then most of the stuff put out by many artists would not be as high quality.
"Autotune" is used to help tube voices to a certain extent by many artists in pop and rap. Altering certain settings within it allow for the "T-pain" voice.

And yeah, no offense FIRST, but that song was absolutely horrible. I nearly had a hernia form upon listening to it the first time.

As someone who is a music tech major, and derives a significant portion of my income through audio engineering and production, auto tune is a replacement for talent. If they can't sing, they shouldn't make music. Tech should not replace good music making skills, and the ability to sing.

Also, by "altering settings" I believe you're referring to the digital artifacts left over by modulating the pitch too far, in addition to limiting/filtering certain frequencies. The "T-Pain" effect is several filters and plugins in addition to just Auto Tune.

Mr. Lim
04-17-2010, 12:20 AM
Call me crazy, but I just listened to it for the very first time, and think it's actually pretty darn good... :o

I've even gone so far as to add it to my MP3 player.

Kind of weird that if a song isn't about blatantly self-destructive behaviour, it's automatically a "bad" song.

In fact, change to premise of this song to any two of: money, drugs, women or cars, and then replace every third word with a questionable/made-up/swear word or grunt - well then you pretty much have every T-Pain song ever made.

CraigHickman
04-17-2010, 12:46 AM
Call me crazy, but I just listened to it for the very first time, and think it's actually pretty darn good... :o

I've even gone so far as to add it to my MP3 player.

Kind of weird that if a song isn't about blatantly self-destructive behaviour, it's automatically a "bad" song.

In fact, change to premise of this song to any two of: money, drugs, women or cars, and then replace every third word with a questionable/made-up/swear word or grunt - well then you pretty much have every T-Pain song ever made.

The lyrics and content of the song are good, uplifting concepts. It's the execution that I am not a fan of.

JackG
04-17-2010, 01:04 AM
The lyrics and content of the song are good, uplifting concepts.

I think that's part of what makes it so funny. The only place that stuff like "Let's work together, we all want to shine," is found is typically in theme songs for children's shows. Putting it in a rap, a genre typically known for drawing upon such topics as drugs, lust, street culture, etc makes for a humorous combination. People have tried to use rap for other sort of stuff before, and the result has often been unintentional humor (http://knowyourmeme.com/memes/average-homeboy). This is a another good example of that.

I'm too young and (relatively) new to FIRST to remember the other musical compositions written about FIRST. Can anybody tell me how this compares?

EricH
04-17-2010, 01:08 AM
I'm too young and (relatively) new to FIRST to remember the other musical compositions written about FIRST. Can anybody tell me how this compares?
Travis posted the link to a post that links to both of them already. Right above the autotune debate.

vic burg
04-17-2010, 03:53 PM
haha. I actually thought it was pretty funny. The original song is pretty cool, the second is the best, in my opinion.

galewind
04-17-2010, 04:14 PM
They need to hire MC Frontalot to a FIRST Rap. That'd be hilarious.

steelerborn
04-17-2010, 05:33 PM
I was laughing, it has a beat that gets stuck in your head.
Maybe that was the purpose of it, so you wont forget FIRST.

Very creative indeed.

Chris is me
04-18-2010, 09:57 AM
Am I the only person who thought the song was an embarassing attempt to "connect with youth" or something gone horribly, horribly wrong? I personally hope I never hear it again.

Blackphantom91
04-18-2010, 10:40 AM
The First Rap was a good thought, Its a good first shot! (let the bashing of me begin!)::safety::

yoshibrock
04-18-2010, 11:26 AM
All I know is that I've been saying "It's a win-win situation" for two days now in random conversation :cool:

Katie_UPS
04-18-2010, 12:51 PM
Am I the only person who thought the song was an embarassing attempt to "connect with youth" or something gone horribly, horribly wrong? I personally hope I never hear it again.

Its the "connect with youth" part the definitely made it.. so.... meh.

Sovietmagician
04-18-2010, 03:50 PM

I could not agree more. I admire the attempt of trying to make science and technology more "hip" and "cool". I think attempts to "connect with youth" through music is a very risky move, because there is a very large chance that instead of making yourself look cool, you make yourself look foolish and not serious. In my opinion this song made an otherwise serious and amazing organization appear very foolish. The song its self is catchy but I really would be happy if I never heard it again.

John G
04-18-2010, 03:58 PM
I noticed at the Championship they spelled hydraulics -"Hydrolics". lol

vic burg
04-18-2010, 04:08 PM
I normally don't like rap. I just found it amusing.

Tetraman
04-18-2010, 04:12 PM

Nope. I had the same impression.

angelawence11
04-18-2010, 05:49 PM
WOWWWW! coming from someone who despises rap, i gotta say that i actually enjoyed this. It made me laugh because it didnt flow. I mean, first you combine rap and robots (which probably shouldnt go together to begin with) and then you do some interesting editing that just makes it sound very choppy. Made me 1) want to cry in disgust 2) laugh 3) download the song (hey it had some nice lyrics!)

umangv620
04-18-2010, 06:19 PM
Can someone make this into an iPhone ringtone or something? haha I really like it!

CalTran
04-18-2010, 07:30 PM
Anywhere to download these? Besides Quicktime Pro.

KathieK
04-18-2010, 07:44 PM
Apparently we are good at creating engineers, but not so great at proofreading. There was also a typo in the animation award slide in the finals. Typos are one of my pet peeves and I find them everywhere - including on an otherwise great looking, professionally-done pit display that I saw this week in Atlanta.

Chris is me
04-18-2010, 07:45 PM
Anywhere to download these? Besides Quicktime Pro.

Right click the link, "save target as"

CalTran
04-18-2010, 09:02 PM
Thank you

Captain Slacker
04-18-2010, 09:42 PM
I actually think it's pretty cool :) there is a group of students on Team Paragon who gets together on any given night in order to make up songs like this. I'll start recording them and posting them. We tend to do re-makes of existing songs, but we can get pretty creative! There's nothing better than a good song about first :] I like!

gorrilla
04-18-2010, 10:01 PM
Can someone take the aduio+lyrics and put it on youtube? If they allow it..
I cant download it from the FIRST website...

tylerwpatterson
04-18-2010, 10:38 PM
Its ridiculous! I feel bad for them, because they are trying hard.

But since the 1990's rap music has slowly, but steadily, lost popularity. And in the past half of a decade its dropped significantly in sales and airplay with the rise of electropop.

I know they are trying to appeal to our generation, but next time can they find a producer who doesnt sound like Timbaland, Kanye, and Lil' Wayne got together to make a joke?

bhaiu116
04-19-2010, 12:57 AM
This rap was not my favorite, but it was oddly catchy.

It made me think back to my favorite piece of FIRST music, does anyone else remember Dr. Joe Johnson's song from 2005?

Triple Play, the game is Triple Play
Tetra tic-tac-toe, lets see how this match goes...

ManicMechanic
04-19-2010, 01:41 AM
The robotics song in post # 23 here (http://www.vexforum.com/showthread.php?t=9536&page=3) has never been recorded, and it's not FIRST, but if you're a Weird Al fan, it might have some appeal.

Fireworks 234
04-19-2010, 07:56 AM
I noticed at the Championship they spelled hydraulics -"Hydrolics". lol

I saw that too! I found it kind of funny when I saw it on screen :)

vic burg
04-19-2010, 01:28 PM
Apparently we are good at creating engineers, but not so great at proofreading. There was also a typo in the animation award slide in the finals. Typos are one of my pet peeves and I find them everywhere - including on an otherwise great looking, professionally-done pit display that I saw this week in Atlanta.

OMG are you serious?! Oh man, now I REALLY wish I could have gone to Atlanta this year....
That is a HUGE pet peeve of mine, too! I bet if we printed out the lyrics for the rap it would be full of grammatical and spelling errors.

ohhiitskelly1o3
04-19-2010, 06:34 PM
bahahahhahaha since when did rappers like jay-z, kanye and the ying yang twins decide to record for FIRST?! awesome song!

Koko Ed
04-19-2010, 06:48 PM

I can't recall it from the fist time they played it but if it's worse than those two abominations then I have no intention on listening to it ever again,

Chris is me
04-19-2010, 07:32 PM
I'm kind of confused as to why this song was commissioned. A large part of the appeal of rap is the subject matter discussed in most other rap songs in addition to the style of music. Simply substituting that for FIRST themes isn't suddenly going to make anyone like FIRST. It reminds me of all of those stupid anti-bullying or anti-drug "songs" that my school always tried to push on me; no matter how much I agreed with the message, these things never helped.

pfreivald
04-19-2010, 07:42 PM

You are not. I not only want to never hear it again, I desperately want that two minutes of my life back.

Simply substituting that for FIRST themes isn't suddenly going to make anyone like FIRST. It reminds me of all of those stupid anti-bullying or anti-drug "songs" that my school always tried to push on me; no matter how much I agreed with the message, these things never helped.

Truth. This is the wrong way to try to make supernerd-dom cool. All this does is take otherwise cool supernerds and make them look... exactly how we do not want nerds to look.

This was health-class-self-esteem-video parody made reality.

Truly awful.

Lydia_1739
04-19-2010, 11:33 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8mNubUTxWHw

umangv620
04-20-2010, 12:02 AM
You are not. I not only want to never hear it again, I desperately want that two minutes of my life back.

Truth. This is the wrong way to try to make supernerd-dom cool. All this does is take otherwise cool supernerds and make them look... exactly how we do not want nerds to look.

This was health-class-self-esteem-video parody made reality.

Truly awful.

It sounded much much better at Atlanta.

Conor Ryan
04-20-2010, 12:09 AM
Like the first two songs that FIRST released back at the Boston Regional sometime back, this won't be winning a Grammy. I think that if they ever want to have a song that will be great they are going to have to hire a producer because it kind of sounds like someone made these in Garage Band (no offence).

Ideally, they are going to need to have some kid in a program graduate and go on to create a top selling record and make it big in the music industry and then come on back give FIRST an awesome song.

However, I think there might be an interim option, make it a president's circle type challenge and ask all teams that are interested to write, record and produce a song about FIRST.

Interestingly, it seems that the idea behind this similar to what they do in elementary schools in some Asian countries particularly South Korea. In South Korea internet addiction is a rising problem and to combat it the government has ramped up efforts in classrooms with education starting at the early elementary level. One of the ways they like to teach is actually through song. Anyway it is interesting to make that connection to these songs that First is trying to test on the community.
Source: http://www.onthemedia.org/transcripts/2010/01/29/07

GlowingSteam
04-20-2010, 12:48 AM

Autotune did die, sometime in the 70's...
Unfortunately, they found a cure to the disease that caused the death.

R30
04-20-2010, 02:10 AM
In the end, its really not that bad.

First off, try listening to it on studio monitors or a full PA or studio headphones. it sounds better.
Second, the main rap lines and how they echo out are well mixed, very similar to BEP, which many people enjoy.
Third, the choruses are pretty bad, but catchy.

The whole song is rounded around current "pop" music, which most of you guys dispise. However, I must say its well mastered and edited. Its overall a well made song, but whether you like it or not is up to you.

pfreivald
04-20-2010, 08:31 AM
It sounded much much better at Atlanta.

I was *in* Atlanta...

Nawaid Ladak
04-23-2010, 01:52 AM
so, we now have a music video to go along with it

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u7vBaJtBOwI&playnext_from=TL&videos=w4fOdrv7L9E&feature=sub

Looking forward to seeing it at #1 on TRL sometime next week... wonder if Carson Daily still hosts that show on MTV.....

i think i saw three 1717 clips in the video, did any other team/person get more?