PDA

View Full Version : Can't communicate with cRIO

duffany1
01-13-2011, 09:53 PM
So I just installed all the necessary updates (finally...) and we re-imaged the cRIO with the proper 2011 image.

Now we are having difficulty connecting our driver station to the cRIO. Here's the error: when we choose the option "Reboot Robot...," we get "cRIO isn't responding, physical reboot required." In diagnostics, the 'Enet link' circle is green, but the 'Robot' circle is red.

Overall we just can't establish communication. Any ideas?

Thanks in advance.

kinganu123
01-13-2011, 11:31 PM
we had a similar problem as well, but couldn't upload files into the cRIO. Did you change your classmate's ip to 10.0.0.5 or 10.0.0.6?

Alan Anderson
01-14-2011, 12:24 AM
So I just installed all the necessary updates (finally...) and we re-imaged the cRIO with the proper 2011 image.

Now we are having difficulty connecting our driver station to the cRIO.

Is it just the Driver Station having problems communicating with the cRIO? What computer did you use to load the cRIO image? What program have you loaded into the cRIO?

Greg McKaskle
01-14-2011, 02:14 AM
What lights are lit on the Diagnostics tab? The first indicates that a valid cable connects the DS to something. I believe the second is for the .4 router if in use, the third is for the bridge on the robot, fourth is for cRIO.

These are the result of pings to the devices.

If the first light is on and no others, it typically means an IP address issue. When you formatted the cRIO, you should have entered your team#. Enter the same into the Setup tab of the DS laptop and the DS will set the NICs IPs appropriately. If that doesn't work, please try to determine the IP addresses of the laptop NIC you are using, the cRIO, the dlink and all other devices between the DS and cRIO. If the issue isn't apparent, post that list here for more assistance.

Greg McKaskle

Pat_Cunningham
01-14-2011, 05:42 PM
Hello,
I am from FRC Team 178 and I am having the same issue. I've checked my IP Address's and they all check out ok. The robot doesn't communicate properly after an OTA Server Update has been put on by NetBeans (6.7.1 with 2011 FRC plugins). Any help with this issue would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Pat Cunningham

tutkows1
01-14-2011, 06:29 PM
In netbeans you have to go to options and set your select your team number for the FRC plug in. Otherwise netbeans will try to contact 10.00.00.2 not your proper IP address no matter what your computer is set at.

Pat_Cunningham
01-14-2011, 06:41 PM
Hello,
I have that all setup and the only thing it does it connect to the robot, 'load the image', and says 'waiting for robot to reboot' and never comes back. When I manually reboot the robot, it says that no code got loaded.

Thanks,
Pat Cunningham

duffany1
01-14-2011, 06:48 PM
Well the thing is, I am in WindRiver and I go to FIRST > Deploy and I am able to deploy the proper code to the robot (I was using a simple program I had written to flip a switch and enable the compressor).

I am not using the classmate but I have tried the classmate and our team laptop; I have tried 10.1.95.6 and 10.1.95.5. Neither worked.

EDIT:

I solved the problem! Thanks for all the suggestions you guys offered.

bodoggy
01-23-2011, 02:51 PM
How do you load an image to the cRios if you cannot establish communictaion with your driver station? I missed that part.

donny2011
01-23-2011, 05:04 PM
Hello, I am from team 3373 and my issue is that I can connect to the cRIO, but the connection keeps flickering on and off consistently. Is there anything that could be interfering with the communication between the cRIO and the router?

bodoggy
01-23-2011, 05:34 PM
how did you setup the ip on the crio?

plnyyanks
01-23-2011, 05:41 PM
how did you setup the ip on the crio?
you set your team number when you image the cRIO. it will then set the IP to 10.xx.yy.02 (for example, for team 1124: 10.11.24.02)

wazcodez
01-23-2011, 07:08 PM
Did you follow the instruction ?

make sure cirio is not in safe mode !!!!

and ur ip configuration regarding classmate or laptop is correct !

bodoggy
01-23-2011, 08:09 PM
I had done all that but the D-Link bridge/hub was not assigning the cRio 10.16.35.2 (1635 is our team). So I was able to use the Linksys we had to manually reserve that address for it. Now I see green for robot in the Driver station and am able to ping it successfully but cannot reboot it from the software button and the FRC imaging tool keeps wanting to rescan because it cannot find it, either. Now what? This is real frustrating-working on it for two whole days!

bodoggy
01-23-2011, 08:15 PM
Update: Now I rebooted the cRio by powering down and back up and I cannot ping it again. Robot is red in DS. All this on the D-Link!

Greg McKaskle
01-23-2011, 08:21 PM
In most configurations, all of the IP addresses are manually assigned. You could configure a router to assign some programming laptops to be on the same subnet, but starting above the manual ones, but my impression is that most teams statically assign all IPs.

If you can ping the cRIO, but it doesn't respond to the protocols, check the version of the SW on it. It should be v25.

Greg McKaskle

bodoggy
01-23-2011, 09:39 PM
Greg, I can't get any other read on the cRio-FRC cRio Imaging can't find the device. How do I check fo rthe software version?

bodoggy
01-23-2011, 10:27 PM
A related issue may be the status light. It is continuously flashes two times and repeats. The instructions in the cRios Operating instructions says on page 15:
2 The chassis has detected an error in its software. This usually occurs
when an attempt to upgrade the software is interrupted. Reinstall
software on the chassis. Refer to the Measurement & Automation
Explorer Help for information about installing software on the chassis.

Has anyone done this that can shed some light on the procedure? Sounds like a major pain.

Greg McKaskle
01-24-2011, 07:55 AM
Not major. Using a programming computer, open up the cRIO imaging tool. It should locate the cRIO and list it in the window. update the checkbox about which language and be sure to say that you really want it to be formatted.

Due to the complexity of the imaging steps, the tool sometimes works better on a simple network. If it fails and gives you error messages, simplify the network, read threads about formatting the cRIO, and give it another try.

I suspect that once the controller is updated, you are on your way.

Greg McKaskle

bodoggy
01-24-2011, 10:18 AM
That's the whole problem, the imaging tool cannot find the cRio. The only other options are to rescan or exit.

Robototes2412
01-24-2011, 11:52 AM
i really don't trust the d-link now, i'll stick to the gaming adapters for the time being

Alan Anderson
01-24-2011, 01:21 PM
i really don't trust the d-link now, i'll stick to the gaming adapters for the time being

Sorry, but that's not a valid option. If you intend to compete at an FRC event, a D-Link DAP-1522 (either the one provided in the 2011 Kit of Parts or an exact replacement) is the only permitted wireless connection to the robot.

Robototes2412
01-24-2011, 01:23 PM
Sorry, but that's not a valid option. If you intend to compete at an FRC event, a D-Link DAP-1522 (either the one provided in the 2011 Kit of Parts or an exact replacement) is the only permitted wireless connection to the robot.

I meant for testing

Greg McKaskle
01-24-2011, 08:39 PM
When you are ready to update the cRIO, plug the laptop and the cRIO into the dlink. Turn off the wifi of the laptop, turn off the firewall, then launch the formatter and see how that works.

Greg McKaskle

bodoggy
01-25-2011, 08:44 AM
I understand that I need to use the imaging tool. But at the start of the imaging tool it scans for the cRio and it comes up with the message, "No ConpactRio devices were found. Verify the network connections" Rescan? Exit? are the only choices.
I can ping the cRio with 10.16.35.2 and my laptop is setup to 10.16.35.6. So the network connections check out. Also, the Robot light is green in the DS diagnostics screen. the cRio is flashing it's Status light sequence 2 indicating corrupt software.
So what would my next step be to setting it up properly? This cRio was used in last year's competition.

Chris Nellis
01-25-2011, 09:08 AM
I had a similar problem with our cRio from last year. I could ping it and the cRio would flash when it was on. However, the connection was spotty. We found that the cRio had a bad power connection to the power distribution board. Once we fixed that, it worked fine. Just double check the wiring.

Alan Anderson
01-25-2011, 09:42 AM
I understand that I need to use the imaging tool. But at the start of the imaging tool it scans for the cRio and it comes up with the message, "No ConpactRio devices were found. Verify the network connections" Rescan? Exit? are the only choices.
I can ping the cRio with 10.16.35.2 and my laptop is setup to 10.16.35.6. So the network connections check out. Also, the Robot light is green in the DS diagnostics screen. the cRio is flashing it's Status light sequence 2 indicating corrupt software.
So what would my next step be to setting it up properly? This cRio was used in last year's competition.

Remove all other network connections on your laptop. That includes any FireWire or VPNs that might be active. If you have more than one network interface enabled, the cRIO scanning process might be looking in the wrong place.

bodoggy
01-25-2011, 10:15 AM
Remove all other network connections on your laptop. That includes any FireWire or VPNs that might be active. If you have more than one network interface enabled, the cRIO scanning process might be looking in the wrong place.

Alan, that sounds like a good thing to try. I'll post tonight when I get to the school and see what happens. I am also working on connecting to the serial port. Have you had experience with that?

rsisk
01-25-2011, 10:29 AM
When you are ready to update the cRIO, plug the laptop and the cRIO into the dlink. Turn off the wifi of the laptop, turn off the firewall, then launch the formatter and see how that works.

Greg McKaskle

Isn't it better to connect the Classmate directly to port 1 of the cRIO using the crossover cable provided in the KOP?

Using the D-LINK is certainly an option if the crossover cable is not available.

Alan Anderson
01-25-2011, 10:55 AM
Isn't it better to connect the Classmate directly to port 1 of the cRIO using the crossover cable provided in the KOP?

When reimaging a cRIO, a direct connection between cRIO and Classmate is something to be avoided. The process involves disabling and reenabling the cRIO's Ethernet port, and the Classmate takes a long time to recover from what it sees as a physical disconnection. The imaging program doesn't want to wait that long, and times out with an error before everything is done. Some other computers also exhibit this problem; others work okay.

With a switch or hub or router in the middle, the Classmate never sees its Ethernet "signal" go away and things work better.

cilginbilgin
01-26-2011, 02:37 AM
Greetings from Team 2905,
This year we use another laptop instead of classmate. We've download all the updates(Labview Update-Utilities-DS) and image the c-RIO but we cant communicate with the c-RIO.

What may be the problem?

Thanks in advance...

Nlucier
01-30-2011, 07:55 PM
I am new at the entire robotics program and have been learning programming and am having a similar problem to this. When I try to run a program through the cRIO on a laptop donated to our team and all of the necessary updates that I personally installed, I recieve no communication with the cRIO.

On the FRC driver station in the diognostics tab, I recieve a light signaling that I have connection with either the bridge or ethernet, whichever I am connecting with, and a light signaling a connection with the cRIO, but I am not recieving a response from the cRIO. On the contrary, my co-programmer's personal laptop and a desktop that we have had donated both recieve communication with the cRIO.:ahh:

Alan Anderson
01-30-2011, 10:07 PM
On the FRC driver station in the diognostics tab, I recieve a light signaling that I have connection with either the bridge or ethernet, whichever I am connecting with, and a light signaling a connection with the cRIO, but I am not recieving a response from the cRIO.

I'm having a problem understanding "receive...a light signaling a connection with the cRIO" and "not receiving a response from the cRIO" at the same time. What exactly do you expect as a response that you are not getting?

Nlucier
01-30-2011, 10:30 PM
The response that I am expecting to get is the communication with the cRIO, which I am not receiving, even though I have connection with the cRIO and the method of connection, whether it be the bridge or the Ethernet link.

Does that help your confusion?

bodoggy
02-02-2011, 02:06 PM
Sorry for not posting my last results with cRio. I found that my laptop had Symantec Anti-virus that was blocking any communication with 10.16.35.2, which was the IP address of the cRios, which was pingable. I completely unistalled Anti-virus and was able to proceed with cRios imaging, after I located the cRios image file and conifgured the cRios imaging tool to find it and format the cRios using it. It was all downhill after that!

Thanks for all your help, fellow forummers, and I hope that helps those of you that are experiencing similar symptoms.

Rangel(kf7fdb)
02-02-2011, 07:43 PM
Hello, I have been trying to configure my team's crio but am unable to connect it. My Computer is as follows:

Ip Address - 10.8.42.6
Subnet - 255.0.0.0
Firewall and Antivirus is turned off.
Ethernet is plugged into computer to port 1 on the crio.
Wireless is turned off.
Labview and Driver Station is updated.

When trying to use the crio imaging tool, it tells me that it can not find the crio and asks me to retry or exit. I have tried reimaging with safe mode on and safe mode off. Also I am using my own laptop and not the classmate. Is there anything I am doing wrong or am not doing that does not let me connect to the crio.

Thanks

Rangel(kf7fdb)
02-02-2011, 08:40 PM
Never mind about my problem. I just found that it was the Ethernet port on my computer that was bad. Working fine on another computer.