PDA

View Full Version : Waterford District Event

maverickfan138
03-12-2011, 09:55 PM
Just posting here to recognize those who were part of this event. I would especially like to recognize 2612 for being such gracious hosts. They were on top of everything and looked like they have been running events for years. They were even finalists in their own event. Awesome job to everybody who organized the competition.

Also, kudos to all the rookies that competed. You guys did a fantastic job during competition. I rarely saw teams miss matches and the robots were very well built. Big props to 3539 for being an alliance captain and winning the event. 573 is going to remember a lot of rookies from Waterford. We have a ton of respect for you guys.

Congrats to 548 as well. We enjoyed being next to you guys in the pits and being able to talk to you guys often. It was incredible how you managed to weed out all the bugs before elimination matches and then go on to win. You guys definitely deserved it.

Lastly, thank you to 3098 and 3770 for being awesome elimination partners. Our semifinals matches were two intense matches, but luck wasn't on our side. It was a pleasure to work with you guys though.

573 had a blast at this event. We enjoyed being able to work with so many teams, especially the rookies. We were pleasantly surprised at how well our robot performed and our successes brought our team closer together. We can't wait for Ann Arbor and (hopefully) the Michigan State Championship.

Joe J.
03-12-2011, 11:07 PM
Waterford was a great event.

Thanks to our alliance partners 3234 and 3638 it was great playing with you guys.

Congratulations to team 548!

Basel A
03-13-2011, 12:02 AM
Waterford was a fantastic event!

I was only around on Saturday, but energy was high and the stands filled throughout! Besides that, the level of competition was as expected for a Michigan event, and seeing logos every which way was certainly a bonus.

3539, 548, and 3620, very well played in the eliminations, and a blue banner to ice the cake. Congratulations!

548, where did you come from?? It seemed like everything was going wrong, but suddenly it was all right, and your minibot went speeding up the pole in just a second! Fantastic performance, and the Chairman's Award to top it off! 3539, very nice pick!

573, top seed and Industrial Design Award Winners, you played excellent! It all seemed to come crashing down in the eliminations, but you Mech Warriors will rumble on to fight another day, and I wish you the best of luck at Ann Arbor!

The finalists played great as well. 2834 was one team that made impressive improvements over a lackluster Kettering performance. I hope to see you Defending State Champs in Ypsilanti again this year!

3098 was another impressive team. other teams seemed to be all the rage, before a Saturday where you stamped your dominance. By selection time, it was clear you were the top choice. I hate to say it, but between you and 548, there were at least two minibots at Waterford faster than ours!

There were a few more very good teams, but for the sake of readability, I must move on...

The volunteer crew = AWESOME. I heard you were actually ahead at the end of Friday, before Red 3 hung you out to dry? Great improvement over a Kettering with several hours of delay! Oh yeah, and you didn't kick me out when I kept getting in your way... Heheh

Speaking of which, I had a lot of fun photographing the competition! All my photos are currently being uploaded, and will be available here (https://picasaweb.google.com/114167074401588878147/2011Waterford?feat=directlink). Note that I am no Dan Ernst, and in comparison to his my pictures are lackluster at best! :p

Personally, I'll be glad if you use them, but please give credit where it is due. Note that the uploaded pictures are only about 2 MP, due to space constraints. If you'd like one or a few specific photographs in their original 8 MP, shoot me an email, I'd be happy to send them over.

David Dawson
03-13-2011, 01:23 AM
The yooper troopers had a blast!! With the help of team virus and 68, we have the second seed a run for their money.

Richard Wallace
03-13-2011, 01:44 PM
Thanks to the hardworking, gracious volunteers at Waterford for a great event.

Thanks also to our alliance captain 3539, and congratulations on the Rookie All-Star award. And to the RoboStangs 548: great alliance partners, examples of GP, an extremely well built robot, and a quick minibot, too. Well deserved District Chairman's Award -- two years running now. It was an honor compete as part of your alliance.

I am very proud of my new rookie team 3620 the (above) Average Joes. :D

Looking forward to Niles, eleven days from now...

Karibou
03-13-2011, 07:07 PM
Congratulations, 3539, 548 and 3620! A very well-deserved win. Both rookie teams were excellent, and acted very much like veterans throughout the event. 548, you have had quality robots for the past several years, but bad luck. It was great to see you finally take home the gold, with Chariman's to boot!

All I have to say to the rookies is WOW. There were so many of you, and had I not known that most of the bots on the field were made by rookie teams, I'd swear that the competition was full of vets. There were also a lot of neat stories to go with the teams, from what I could tell from the award scripts. I would have hated to have to judge the Rookie All-Star award. Choosing one team must have been difficult.

I would also like to thank the volunteers, even though I was one of them this time. Everyone put in so much work to keep everything running. I didn't hear of any major complaints, which means we did the job right, right? Grant and Jim - You two were fabulous MCs, as always. I look up to both of you, and was honored to be flag girl. Field reset - It was great to work with you all! You did a great job of staying on top of everything and working together, and I think that we all had more fun than we expected.

The volunteer crew = AWESOME. I heard you were actually ahead at the end of Friday, before Red 3 hung you out to dry? Great improvement over a Kettering with several hours of delay! Oh yeah, and you didn't kick me out when I kept getting in your way... Heheh
I wouldn't be surprised. I do remember looking at my watch thinking "wow, we're behind by 20 minutes" at some point, but that may have been after the first field delay. That was the smoothest event I've ever been to. A big thank you needs to go out to the teams as well, for working to get their bots on and off the field so quickly.

Thank you 2612 and Waterford Mott HS for a great event! The venue was fantastic, as well as the other support from the school. It was so cool to see classes in the stands on Friday, actively paying attention!

Masked
03-13-2011, 08:38 PM
Waterford was great!

Thank you to our awesome alliance partners, 3539 and 3620! In particular, our matches against the first seeded alliance, 573, 3770, and 3098, strategy was crucial. The Byting Bulldogs did a great job of working with us to rack up points while Average Joes took care of defense for this match. A very strong alliance with a large range of skills.

I can't really make any promises that you'll find any of your team, but my/my brother's/my mom's (I couldn't take pictures while I was coaching and celebrating) pictures from Waterford have been uploaded to the Robostangs flickr account, Robostangs548.

Robostangs Waterford District Pictures: http://www.flickr.com/photos/58771893@N02/sets/72157626259906698/

TehDragster548
03-13-2011, 10:15 PM
Let me start off by thanking 3539 and 3620, our alliance partners. It was an honor to work with these two teams. Both teams, you would have never known, working with them, that they were rookie teams; both teams acted so professional and with such enthusiasm. I look forward to seeing both teams in the future!

Thanks to 573 for being so amazing next to us in the pit. You guys were great to have next to us throughout the competition and just to talk to in general. I really look forward to working with you guys at Ann Arbor and beyond!

Finally, thanks to 2612 for hosting such an amazing event! A lot of times at competitions, everything is hard to get to or find, the pits are set up out of order, and the volunteers aren't very helpful. NOT THE CASE HERE! Everything was close-by, the pits were laid out in order and in a simple way, and the volunteers were amazing. Keep up the good work in the future!

548swimmer
03-13-2011, 10:33 PM
548, where did you come from?? It seemed like everything was going wrong, but suddenly it was all right, and your minibot went speeding up the pole in just a second! Fantastic performance, and the Chairman's Award to top it off! 3539, very nice pick!

We kept having issues with our autonomous, which caused the fp motor that drives our arm to smoke. Who woulda thunk that slamming an arm on the ground from ten feet would be bad for the drive motor?

After we finally disabled autonomous (which was difficult at best) we stopped smoking the motor, and got back in the game. Our pit crew (which I was a part of, along with way too many programmers :P) worked every second from the time the robot got off the field to the time the volunteers told us only drive team could go on the field to fix the deployment. Once we got that down, well, you know the story.

Also, our driver kept complaining about the right side lacking power, and we were unable to diagnose that untill just before our first match on Saturday. It turns out we had a blown jag. Once we got that replaced (after the second Saturday match) our drivers were once again driving the robot they had practiced tirelessly on for the past few weeks, and got way better.

I guess our story is an excellent lesson for scouts about watching teams both days. We won every single Saturday match, and yet no scouts came to the pits to ask of we had fixed all the bugs.

Jack Jones
03-13-2011, 11:12 PM
2612 wants to thank all the teams and volunteers who helped make the inaugural Waterford District event a success. One team even wanted to clean the carpet after their match, but Rob, the FTA, wouldn't let them.

See here on You Tube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wMAlKrLyXYE)

Basel A
03-13-2011, 11:16 PM
I guess our story is an excellent lesson for scouts about watching teams both days. We won every single Saturday match, and yet no scouts came to the pits to ask of we had fixed all the bugs.

Doesn't look like there'll be the problem of you going unnoticed at Ann Arbor.. It'll be an excellent challenge to compete with and against you!

MyTagforHalo2
03-15-2011, 06:46 AM
I would like to thank team 3098 for co-hosting the eventt with us.

Bjenks548
03-15-2011, 11:58 AM
Anyone know who the man with the video camera that was on the field durring the elims and awards was? this guy (http://www.flickr.com/photos/danielernst/5526525161/in/set-72157626138552781/)