PDA

View Full Version : the hardest part of logo motion

Tbayhi
03-18-2011, 01:23 PM
Has anyone come up with an effective method for remembering what order the logos go in?

BrendanB
03-18-2011, 01:24 PM
If I see a logo then we are in big trouble!

Joe G.
03-18-2011, 01:24 PM
Has anyone come up with an effective method for remembering what order the logos go in?

Doing FIRST for 10 years and counting :)

thefro526
03-18-2011, 01:29 PM
Assuming you're in the driver's station, scoring logos in front of yourself the From Right to left: Triangle, Circle, Square, Triangle, Circle, Square.

And if you can't remember that, think of it like this: The Circle always goes on the highest peg of the row, then to it's left is a square and to the circles right is a triangle. (Again, if you're in the driver's station scoring on yourself.)

If you're really in a pinch, look at your opponents peg board, and do the opposite.

pandamonium
03-18-2011, 01:33 PM
if this is an issue I recommend just taping some symbols to the driver console in the correct order as a reminder.

Colin P
03-18-2011, 01:45 PM
We messed up once in two competitions. It isn't that hard to remember, but it happens.
Backwards logos are more fun anyways =P

Mr. Lim
03-18-2011, 01:48 PM

Yes. Memorize it.

Clinton Bolinger
03-18-2011, 01:59 PM
From the drive team's point of view:

Red = Right

-Clinton-

milton1205
03-18-2011, 02:01 PM
Here is a fairly complicated way to remember:

Think of Pi.

Reviewing the objects number of exposed points on the game pieces - Triangle (3), Circle (1), Square (4)

thefro526
03-18-2011, 02:05 PM
if this is an issue I recommend just taping some symbols to the driver console in the correct order as a reminder.

Now that I've thought about it more, if my drivers need a reminder on what order to score tubes in, I'd probably start looking for new drivers...

BrendanB
03-18-2011, 02:28 PM
Now that I've thought about it more, if my drivers need a reminder on what order to score tubes in, I'd probably start looking for new drivers...

Yeah that is what helped me pick our final drivers, one alway forgot the logo. I haven't ever had to tell our driver where to place a tube.

Don't know the logo, go scout and learn it for off-season! ;)

pfreivald
03-18-2011, 02:41 PM
Here is a fairly complicated way to remember:

Think of Pi.

Reviewing the objects number of exposed points on the game pieces - Triangle (3), Circle (1), Square (4)

...because "Red, White and Blue" is too hard for us Americans to figure out? :D

George1902
03-18-2011, 04:06 PM

.sdrawkcab knihT

BigJ
03-18-2011, 04:10 PM
I think of it like 3-2-1.

Tri-an-gle Cir-cle Square.

Thundrio
03-18-2011, 06:52 PM
If you are like me and play Castlevania: Symphony of the Night like a pro, here is an easy way to remember the logo. since to shield dash on playstation you need to hit triangle to dash and then circle to cancel that dash, and sometimes you need square to attack.
:]

hg273
03-18-2011, 08:05 PM
We number the pegs, and then memorize it from there. 1 and 4 are squares, 2 and 5 are circles and 3 and 6 are the triangles.

DDSLoan96
03-18-2011, 09:53 PM
just look around the venue and put the tubes in reverse...There is bound to be a logo somewhere or you can just put a picture on the classmate

216Robochick288
03-18-2011, 09:57 PM
I love how nobody had thought of reversing the Logo and setting it as a laptop background :3

Or use this wonderful rhyme.
"Blue, white, red. Blue, white, red. I'll say it til its stuck in your head!"

MattC9
03-19-2011, 01:04 AM
Cell phone, or iPod background. You look at it every day and after seeing it a few times you should be able to memorize it.

OmerSD
03-19-2011, 08:36 AM
As a driver, I see the logo as the French flag (blue-white-red). And besides, once you memorize the red is on the right of you (or the blue on the left for the matter), you can't really go wrong with the others.

GaryVoshol
03-19-2011, 12:08 PM
From the drive team's point of view:

Red = Right

-Clinton-

Hmm, need boaters for drive team.

BJC
03-19-2011, 10:34 PM
I've got kind of a fun idea. Take a red and blue sharpie and put red and blue lines right on the outside of your safety glasses in your peripheral vision. Then you ALWAYS know which goes where. No rhyme required.

sdcantrell56
03-19-2011, 10:40 PM
Is this even a serious question? If the driver can't remember the logo that seems like a perfect time to find a new more competent one.

Vikesrock
03-19-2011, 10:51 PM
I've got kind of a fun idea. Take a red and blue sharpie and put red and blue lines right on the outside of your safety glasses in your peripheral vision. Then you ALWAYS know which goes where. No rhyme required.

I saw a driver or two with the correct order written on their arm in Sharpie this weekend :rolleyes:

As a coach this weekend, I don't see an issue here at all. Just memorize it, triangles on your right, squares on your left (on each individual rack).

216Robochick288
03-19-2011, 10:56 PM
Is this even a serious question? If the driver can't remember the logo that seems like a perfect time to find a new more competent one.

Oh I'm sure. Have you ever been down on field with the thought that you are driving the robot to show the hard work that your team[s] have put into the bot, then get VERY nervous? They sit in the stands cheering then you realize your view is getting limited, you are watching the other 5 robots as to not hit them in addition, you are attempting to score... not at easy as many drivers make it look!

Navid Shafa
03-19-2011, 11:37 PM
Have the drive team score a logo once for practice? It's not really hard to remember. We've never had a problem, nor did any of the other people driving our robot.

We did a lot of practicing, but this never had to be anything we've focused on...

Zach O
03-20-2011, 12:06 AM
I try to look at the giant FIRST banner, generally hanging up at every competition. Extremely helpful.

Maybe put a FIRST logo on your Dashboard would help? Then you could always see it.

Jimmy the Kidd
03-20-2011, 01:46 PM
If you are like me and play Castlevania: Symphony of the Night like a pro, here is an easy way to remember the logo. since to shield dash on playstation you need to hit triangle to dash and then circle to cancel that dash, and sometimes you need square to attack.
:]

Oh wooooooooooow.

sdcantrell56
03-20-2011, 02:46 PM
Oh I'm sure. Have you ever been down on field with the thought that you are driving the robot to show the hard work that your team[s] have put into the bot, then get VERY nervous? They sit in the stands cheering then you realize your view is getting limited, you are watching the other 5 robots as to not hit them in addition, you are attempting to score... not at easy as many drivers make it look!

I was the driver for 2 years in highschool and the coach for 5 years for very competitive robots in elimination settings, as well as a 4 year varsity football starter so yes I do know exactly about performing in high stress situations. I stick by my previous statement, if someone can't handle the pressure it's time to find someone who can.