PDA

View Full Version : Idea for a Drive Team Award?

legogeek24
03-31-2011, 05:31 PM
Here's a thought: what if there was a regional award for the best drive team/robot combination? It could include mention of exceptional driver skills, effective utilization of in-match strategy, skillful control over the robot, excellent teamwork between the drive team, etc. It seems to me that many teams nowadays put driver practice as a low priority, and many robots are very under-performing because of lack of driver skill. A Drive Team award could increase motivation for these aspects, as well as reward those teams who find an excellent combination of man and machine during the match.

...I have been a driver since I was a freshman, soooo I may be a little biased, but what do you think?

EricLeifermann
03-31-2011, 05:56 PM
There use to be an incredible play award that they gave out. It was kind of what you are talking about. I don't know why they got rid of it, but I also don't see the need for it to return, enough awards are given out that another one doesn't need to be added to the line up.

penguinfrk
03-31-2011, 06:07 PM
It seems to me that many teams nowadays put driver practice as a low priority, and many robots are very under-performing because of lack of driver skill.

I think any team that puts driving practice as a low priority is underestimating the importance of driver skill in a match and asking for losses...

More accurately, I'd say many teams would like to get more driver practice, but don't get a chance to.

rsisk
03-31-2011, 06:33 PM
That certainly would be a tough award to judge. The Match Observers are only out for part of the day, so they would miss a lot of play. Also awards have to be complete by around 2-3PM to be ready for the award ceremony, so once again, great plays could be missed.

A peer selected award might work, but even then a lot of plays would be missed. Maybe the FTA or Refs could select candidates, or even the winner.

I dunno. I agree with a previous poster, the amount of awards seem about right.

Ninja_Bait
04-14-2011, 07:14 PM
Besides, it seems to me like the best drive team will be one that ends up in eliminations and probably finals anyway, and that's award enough in my opinion.

AlexD744
04-15-2011, 11:25 PM
How bout we make it simple: Most Attractive Drive Team Award. :cool:

Molten
04-16-2011, 12:22 AM
enough awards are given out that another one doesn't need to be added to the line up.

As most people that have sat through an award ceremony might agree, it is quite long. That said, if this award was to start...it should be voted upon by the other drive teams. After all, some teams look great on the field but may not give the most enjoyable experience to play with. Also, there are some drive teams that are not the most amazing team but they still make the experience great. That should be considered. All that said, the ceremony is still really long so I would be opposed to an addition of any awards unless it was an exceptional case.

Jason

SammyKay
04-18-2011, 10:41 PM
How bout we make it simple: Most Attractive Drive Team Award. :cool:

I know Team 217 gives out Cutest Drive Team awards. or, they did in 2008. cuz at Championships they gave it to us. :) I and the other girl who was on drive team were very excited to see that in our pit. they also put a rear view mirror that had something painted on it. I forget what it said tho.