PDA

View Full Version : Constraints Lost when saving.

Kev101
04-12-2011, 06:38 PM
In Inventor How do you save an Assembly with .sat part files download from
3dcontentcentral.com without loosing its constraints?

After saving, contraints are lost and parts are able to be moved away from their place with a simple click and drag.
( The assembly saved still has its original form but loss of constraints.)

kinghashbrown
04-12-2011, 08:45 PM
when you import the file into inventor it creates a copy using Inventor file types (.iam, .ipt). then when you save it will save these files to a location you chose.

thats how it has always worked for me

I believe constraints can never be saved in a .sat file just geometry. Because it is used to go between different software packages like Inventor and Solidworks.

Try searching you computer for files with the same name as the .sat file. And make sure that it is saving to .iam file type

EDIT: on my computer it saves imported files to C:\Users\(username here)\Documents\Inventor

running windows 7 and inventor 2011

mplanchard
05-18-2011, 07:51 AM
If you are using SolidWorks, open the part with FeatureWorks checked in Tools, Add Ins. That way you can select the geometry to be converted to become parametric. I usually select hole that are used for mounting or the overall extruded profile. You dont want to convert the entire model for they get too big.

You can also use Convert Entities to extract geometry into a sketch. Once SolidWorks sees it, the sketch will be able to be constained.

Marie