PDA

View Full Version : Graphic Cards.......

Clark Gilbert
10-28-2001, 04:42 PM
Ok......I bought XP on Saturday......as usually there are certain drivers which didnt work...........I have a 3dfx Voodoo3 3500 16 mb graphics card.....and i tried to change the setttings and it uninstalled all of the program stuff for it, and since i got it w/ my computer i dont have a disk w/ the files on it........

My question is........

What is the next best kind or equal to graphics card?

:)

Ken Leung
10-28-2001, 05:12 PM
If you are asking about what's the next best kind of video card, I will have to say Nvidia's Geforce series.

Geforce 1 is probably not too much of a jump of performance from Voodoo 3, but Geforce 2 MX or Geforce 2 is much better than voodoo3. ATI's radeon 7500 or so is also really good video card too.

But if you are interested in cards all the way on the top in terms of performance, Geforce 3 and ATI's radeon 8500 are extremely expensive, and not too much software are capable to take full advantage of them just yet. And of course, there are custom made cards where you can tell the companies whatever you want on them...

Of course, there's always voodoo5... 5>3... Bigger number should always means better, right... ? ;)

If you care enough to buy a Geforce 2, I would gladly send you a PM about a great place with cheap price!

Clark Gilbert
10-28-2001, 06:25 PM
Thanks for the advice Ken.....

Right now i'm working out a "deal" with David Kelly and if that doesn't fix my problems I plan on buying a PNY Verto™ GeForce2-MX200 32MB AGP Video Card. This seems like a nice card at a reasonable price.

:( Too bad 3dfx isnt in business anymore:(

gniticxe
10-28-2001, 09:29 PM
I'm not exactly sure of their complete product line, but ASUS (known mainly for their mobos) puts together a great chipset on the geforce line. I'm running the asus geforce 3 :D and OCing is simple with the built in OC prog, and no extra passive air cooling is needed; the utility monitors and adjusts the fan's rpms according to temp :cool: . If you're looking more for a good balance between price and power, though, what you're looking at is good, but give ASUS a look, too.

btw, OC = overclock, mobo = motherboard
but you knew that

Joe Ross
10-28-2001, 10:21 PM
you might try checking out this message board for XP voodoo3 drivers: http://pub43.ezboard.com/fx3dfxfrm1

There seem to be several people releasing drivers. They are unofficial, but it can't hurt to try them before you spend money on a new card.

wes16zeus
10-28-2001, 11:20 PM
If you all have any questions about which is the best and why about thing for your computer, i worked at best buy and circuit city so i get up to the date detailed info about each thing so i can tell you why they would be better than another if you would like to ask. Just ask! See yall later!

Clark Gilbert
10-29-2001, 07:59 PM
Thanks everyone for the help.......but a GIANT THANKS GOES OUT TO KEN L.

Thanks to Ken i am no longer in the need of a graphics card or any help......

:D

David Kelly
10-29-2001, 08:01 PM
thats cool!!! sorry i couldn't find that software for you. oh well, you got a better video card for cheap

Carolyn Duncan
10-29-2001, 11:15 PM
Originally posted by Clark Gilbert
Thanks everyone for the help.......but a GIANT THANKS GOES OUT TO KEN L.
Thanks to Ken i am no longer in the need of a graphics card or any help......
:D
pssssst.. Hey Clark. You missed something. Ken gets mad props. So I'll say it for you this time. Mad props to Ken!