PDA

View Full Version : Team Homes for Home Schoolers

wilhitern1
09-30-2011, 11:13 AM
Well, getting this information in my area has been problematic. Strangely, we Home Schoolers are not as well loved as we would like. So anyway, I'm starting this thread as a clearing house for the information.

Here are some teams that I can so far verify: (please send replys with any official corrections)

FRC 3737 - Roto Raptors - Goldsboro, NC - verified via team coordinator
FRC 122 - NASA Knights - Hampton, VA - verified by parent only
http://www.team122.org/
FRC 619 - Cavalier Robotics - Charlottesville, VA - verified via team coordinator
http://www.carobotics.org/

PS: My private email is wilhiten@aol.com if you'd rather not post yourself. I will get official verification

wilhitern1
09-30-2011, 12:00 PM
FRC 176 - Aces High - Windsor Locks, CT - verified via team advisor
http://aceshigh176.org/

Jimmy Nichols
09-30-2011, 12:09 PM
Team 1038 has always and will always welcome anyone to our team who does not have a team, whether they are home schooled or attend public/private school.

Mr. Mike
09-30-2011, 12:22 PM
Team 3138 is a nonprofit open to anyone. We currently have students from 4 different high schools and home school.

Innovators Robotics Inc.
3569 Ginghamsburg-Frederick Road
Tipp City, Ohio 45371
Innovators@woh.rr.com
http://innovatorsrobotics.com

BrendanB
09-30-2011, 12:43 PM
I am a former homeschooler and 1519 Mechanical MAYHEM (Milford Area Youth Homeschoolers Enriching Minds) alumni. The team was and is mostly homeschooled students with a portion from private and public schools who don't have FRC programs.

http://mechanicalmayhem.org/

There will always be those who don't like homeschooling or don't receive it well but the same can be said about public school as well. I can't ever remember a time when our team was criticized or not "well-loved".

Are you a rookie team or second year team?

JamesCH95
09-30-2011, 01:05 PM
Team 95 has had numerous home-schooled students, at least one every year I've been involved with the team. We would be more than happy to have home-schoolers join up.

Upper Valley, VT/NH

wilhitern1
09-30-2011, 01:09 PM
Are you a rookie team or second year team?

3737, the Roto Raptors had their rookie year last year, but we could easily qualify as a rookie team again this year... We've already got 20 active students (and still recruiting) with only 3 (or so) returning.

BrendanB
09-30-2011, 01:13 PM
3737, the Roto Raptors had their rookie year last year, but we could easily qualify as a rookie team again this year... We've already got 20 active students (and still recruiting) with only 3 (or so) returning.

Not a problem. We (3467 rookie last year) have about 10 students returning and another 15 new students.

Phyrxes
09-30-2011, 05:00 PM
Don't forget public school based teams that work in their building may have to deal with the school division when it comes to insurance. That said there are a bunch of teams in the greater Richmond area, do you have a more specific area around Richmond you are looking at?

ratdude747
09-30-2011, 05:28 PM
I know that 2783 EOT was actually started as an FLL team for homeschool children. It later evolved into an FRC team with a nearly even mix of home school and non home school (public/private).

I know from the other team I have expereince on, 1747 HBR, that insurance with the school is the worst hurdle... 1747 lost shop access for a while due to the city school kicking out the county schools' students due to insurance... with the dangers of machine tools, welding, and the robot itself, the liability is quite high.

RoboMom
09-30-2011, 06:05 PM
Well, getting this information in my area has been problematic. Strangely, we Home Schoolers are not as well loved as we would like. So anyway, I'm starting this thread as a clearing house for the information.

So the contacts given in your thread here were not helpful? It's been less than 24 hours. http://www.chiefdelphi.com/forums/showthread.php?threadid=97595

Depending on what geographic area you are collecting information for - there is a home schooled rookie team in Maryland. Techbrick.

Jacob Paikoff
10-01-2011, 09:22 AM
Team 2059 in Apex,NC is happy to welcome anyone who is interested in FRC. Right now we have 17 students from 6 high schools and home school.

Siri
10-01-2011, 05:07 PM
What geographic are are you collecting for?

Team 1640 (Downingtown/Exton, PA) is always open to home schoolers. In fact, our captain this year is home schooled. We're not district-affiliated, so anyone who's ok with the drive is welcome. Many of our students commute 30min+, some ~1 hour. (Mentors are even crazier, anywhere from 45min-2.5 hours.)

FRC 1640 - Team Sab-BOT-age - Downingtown/Exton, PA - verified by team mentor

Our FLL club is also community-based, making it open to home schoolers as well. Also, I'd check with MOE Robotics (Delaware...basically all of it), as I'm virtually positive they're open to home school students, too.

For yourselves, I count 8 teams (http://www.usfirst.org/whatsgoingon) in the Richmond area. I know some teams must have school-driven policies behind membership, but I'd think someone could at least point you in the right direction.

Mr. Mike
10-01-2011, 07:21 PM
Team 3138 is a nonprofit club that is open to anyone. We have student from 4 different high schools and home school.

Innovators Robotics Inc.
Tipp City, Ohio 45371
Innovators@woh.rr.com
http://innovatorsrobotics.com

Cuog
10-01-2011, 07:39 PM
I'd imagine a good many teams out there haven't really thought of this issue, but would be more than willing to see what they could do to get a home school member onto their team. For example I don't know of 422 having ever had a home school member, but if contacted about the opportunity we would do everything we could to make it happen.

So basically, it never hurts to ask.

plnyyanks
10-01-2011, 08:16 PM
Even though we operate out of our high school, Team 1124 (Hartford, CT area) has no residency/schooling/other requirements as far as membership goes. If you're in the area, show up one day (http://uberbots.org/o/Calendar) - we'll be glad to have you.

wendymom
10-01-2011, 11:48 PM
Exploding Bacon FRC/FTC 1902 has at least 5 Home school families on our team. Our Lego Teams have homeschoolers as well.

Mr. Mike
10-02-2011, 01:32 PM
Team 3138 is a nonprofit club that is open to anyone. We have students from 4 high schools and home school.

Innovators Robotics Inc.
Tipp City, Ohio 45371
Innovators@woh.rr.com

buildmaster5000
10-02-2011, 01:44 PM
I know 2421 (Northern Virginia) is mostly made up of home school students.

teachsail
10-02-2011, 08:17 PM
Team 2584, Reseda Regents Robotics, has always had at least one member who is not attending Reseda HS including home schooled kids. We have even made a presentation to the San Fernando Valley Home School Parent group. The idea of competitive robotics was completely foreign to everyone there, and I think some thought I was trying to sell them something, but they were all very nice. So we will go back again this fall and try again. Most of the parents said that the kids were all booked up with other activities and that as a group they tend to move slowly, plan a lot, before they do something new.

wilhitern1
10-03-2011, 04:58 AM
So the contacts given in your thread here were not helpful? It's been less than 24 hours. http://www.chiefdelphi.com/forums/showthread.php?threadid=97595

The references have indeed been helpful in a sense. And thank you so much for those! For the most part, but not sure yet, they don't feel that there is much hope unless we move to FTC. On the other hand, others have said that the laws in VA are not being handled appropriately and could be made to serve better. These of course are not lawyers...

There's still a long way to go on my personal front.

for this thread, I'm just trying to get more home schoolers involved in FRC nation wide! And information access is where you start.

Siri
10-03-2011, 06:15 AM
On the VEX side, this year's World Championship Excellence Award winner, the VEXMEN (also from Downingtown/Exton, PA), also acceptsfrom home schooled and out-of-district students. -- confirmed to me by team coordinator

Carol
10-03-2011, 08:10 AM
What geographic are are you collecting for?

Team 1640 (Downingtown/Exton, PA) is always open to home schoolers. In fact, our captain this year is home schooled. We're not district-affiliated, so anyone who's ok with the drive is welcome. Many of our students commute 30min+, some ~1 hour. (Mentors are even crazier, anywhere from 45min-2.5 hours.)

FRC 1640 - Team Sab-BOT-age - Downingtown/Exton, PA - verified by team mentor

Our FLL club is also community-based, making it open to home schoolers as well. Also, I'd check with MOE Robotics (Delaware...basically all of it), as I'm virtually positive they're open to home school students, too.

For yourselves, I count 8 teams (http://www.usfirst.org/whatsgoingon) in the Richmond area. I know some teams must have school-driven policies behind membership, but I'd think someone could at least point you in the right direction.

Yes, MOE 365, since it is not affiliated with a school, has always been open to anyone from anywhere, and has had several home-schooled students in the past. (Don't think we have one this year but I'm not sure).

GarrettF2395
10-03-2011, 03:02 PM
Team 2395, the Ninja Munkees out of Oklahoma city is primarily a homeschooled team, but will except anyone from a private or public school as well.

vhcook
10-03-2011, 06:33 PM
Team 1825 is the metro homeschool team for the greater Kansas City area.

pwnageNick
10-03-2011, 10:08 PM
Team 2949 PWNAGE (Batavia, IL) is open to any student. We take students from any high school as well as home-schooled students. We are also open to mentors from anywhere.

We currently have 2 home-schooled students as well as students from 7 different high schools. Also mentors from at least 5 different companies.

Anyone interested is welcome to join!!! (as long as you can make it here to meetings :p )

-Nick

SteveGPage
10-05-2011, 03:54 PM
Team 836, The RoboBees, of Leonardtown, MD, have several homeschooled students on the team. We also actively support FTC 2843, Under The Sun, a homeschooled team that won the 2010 FTC World Championship.

pianogrrl71
10-06-2011, 08:07 AM
Team 3504, The Girls of Steel, comes from 20 different schools, including two cyber schools and homeschool as well. :D We also support a rookie FLL team, which is 50/50 homeschool to public school.

SharonO
03-11-2013, 10:21 AM
Our team is creating a database of homeschool-friendly teams and would like to update this thread. If your team is primarily homeschooled students or accepts homeschooled students and haven't already posted in here, please do so.

Thank you!
Sharon Ousley
Team 3528 Up Next
www.teamupnext.com

Kyle A
03-11-2013, 10:47 AM
CRT 306 has always accepted home schooled students, we have a few this year.

DeAnnaC
03-11-2013, 11:55 AM
FRC Team 1094 is open to anyone in our regional area. We have a mix of homeschooled, public and privately schooled students. We currently have students from 5 different counties on FRC1094.

River City Robots sponsors many FLL and Jr FLL teams, they are also a mix of homeschooled, public and privately schooled students.

I am a mentor and board member of River City Robots.

n1ckd2012
03-11-2013, 12:03 PM
2587 DiscoBots (discobots.org) includes many homeschoolers and students from other schools besides those from Lamar High School.

Our 2587z VEX team is composed mainly of homeschoolers.

I was homeschooled and my brother started as our driver last year as an 8th grader.

NXTGeek
03-11-2013, 12:32 PM
Code Orange 3476 from Dana Point, California was started as a community team by a homeschooling family. Now in our 3rd year we have 22 students from 11 different schools, and 6 homeschooled. As a homeschooler, it is very important to me and my team to have the message and opportunity of FIRST availiable to everyone.
teamcodeorange.com

Chris is me
03-11-2013, 12:35 PM
FRC Team 1714, More Robotics (http://www.morerobotics.org/), accepted me on the team while I was home schooled my senior year. As far as I know they continue to accept students from nearby schools as well as homeschooled students who otherwise would not have access to a robotics team.

martin417
03-11-2013, 12:52 PM
I know that any team with which I am associated will accept any student from any school or home school. I believe that it is against the purpose of FIRST to exclude anybody. We currently have several students from another county school, as well as a student team member that lives in a different county, but his former team moved to another school and the principal will not allow students from other schools to participate.The whole idea of FIRST is to inspire more kids to enter the field of STEM, not just kids at one particular school.

AlexC
03-11-2013, 12:53 PM
Team 2252 the Mavericks welcomes all high school students that are willing to come and learn. Myself included there are currently five homeschooled students on the team.

ChuckDickerson
03-11-2013, 12:56 PM
FRC Team 456, Siege Robotics, in Vicksburg, Mississippi is a fully community based team comprised of students from public, private, and home schools. We maintain strong relationships with the local Vicksburg/Warren County Public School District, local private school administations, and local home school orgnaizations. We are held up as a model of how to work together as a community and are proud of the diversity of students on our team. We welcome any and all with open arms.

Eagleeyedan
03-11-2013, 03:39 PM
Team 2062, C.O.R.E. (The Community of Robotic Engineers) is very welcoming to home-schoolers. I was the first on our team and we now have three currently home-schooled and many formerly home-schooled students on the team. :)

EricH
03-11-2013, 07:02 PM
330, the BeachBots, in Hermosa Beach, CA, is entirely homeschooled students from one homeschool group.

Mr V
03-11-2013, 07:16 PM
Bear Metal FRC 2046 has had home schooled students in past seasons, but none this year.

A home schooled student from the 2011 season and his family started a team for home schooled students that includes students from around the greater Seattle ares.

They are Higher Voltage FRC 3968 http://www.northwestrobotics.com/

David Brinza
03-11-2013, 07:22 PM
FRC Team 980 ThunderBots is a 501(c)(3) non-profit organization, building our robot in Glendale, CA. We accept students from any school that does not have an FRC team as well as home-schooled students.

Send me a PM for more information.

steinra
03-11-2013, 07:44 PM
Team 4106 in the Treasure Valley / Southwestern Idaho will welcome anyone who does not have a home team. We are an Explorer Post focused on STEM. We currently have a couple of homeschool families as well as drawn from charter schools and districts which do not have robotics programs.

As a side note, though FIRST does not prohibit anyone from joining as a home schooling family we have lived in areas which did not allow homeschool familes to use any public school facilites. This included sports, band, drama, etc. So a school based team may have to exclude based on state / school district rules.

jar24
03-11-2013, 08:16 PM
Team 468, in Flint,MI takes students from anywhere, the team was formed by the boy-scout explorer post that we are in the summer months, (troop 1888)

mathking
03-11-2013, 08:52 PM
Team 1317 (http://www.dfweb.org/) in Columbus, OH has many home schooled members.

Mr. 1033
03-12-2013, 12:37 AM
Team Clutch 1033 has 5 home schooled students on our team this year.

We welcome all ready to work and learn.

We are in Richmond, Va.

wasayanwer97
03-12-2013, 12:46 AM
Team 668 has always been open to anyone without a team.

Currently have one homeschooler, and about 5 other members from another high school.

San Jose, California

http://theapesofwrath.org/

StevenB
03-12-2013, 01:46 AM
Is the point of this (revived) thread to compile a list of homeschool or partially-homeschool teams, or to make a list of all teams which would take a homeschooler? I would hope that the majority of US teams are in the latter category, since many (although by no means all) state laws require public schools to accept homeschooled students for extracurricular activities.

Calvin Hartley
03-12-2013, 07:23 AM
2771, Code Red Robotics has several homeschoolers (including myself:cool:) and will accept students from any school.

SharonO
03-12-2013, 07:53 AM
Is the point of this (revived) thread to compile a list of homeschool or partially-homeschool teams, or to make a list of all teams which would take a homeschooler? I would hope that the majority of US teams are in the latter category, since many (although by no means all) state laws require public schools to accept homeschooled students for extracurricular activities.

My point for reviving this thread was to create a source for homeschooled students/families to find a team in their area. We are creating a database of community or homeschooled only teams vs public/private school teams that accept outside students. In the state of Missouri, I don't know what the rules are for participating in an extracurricular activity such as robotics, but I know for athletics and music competitions, the student has to take a certain number of classes at the school in order to be eligible.

But to answer your question, yes, primarily I am looking for the first category of teams and then if none exist in a particular area, where would a homeschooled student look for a team?

Thank you for the responses.
Sharon

Carol
03-12-2013, 08:08 AM
Most teams not affiliated with a school will accept home schooled students - any student for that matter. There are many of them.

MOE 365 has had home schooled students almost every year, from multiple states, and I think three students currently.

ColleenShaver
03-12-2013, 09:51 AM
FRC190 accepts any student from any school on our team. We currently have 2 other schools (besides Mass Academy) represented as well as home-school students from two states.

AdamHeard
03-12-2013, 10:35 AM
We take all students.

mocibot
03-13-2013, 10:53 AM
Team 1829 in Accomack County VA is a coalition team with students form at least two schools, and I myself am homeschooled (that's how I'm posting right now) along with a few others.

runneals
03-13-2013, 08:30 PM

I suggest looking towards youth groups. We generally don't discriminate based on rival schools :)

All the 76 4-H teams can be found here (https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0Aq_AT5Qb0jdTdEdCQzB1Y2ttOUJJa3ZKUmdFeC1je kE&usp=sharing). To be a member all you have to do is join 4-H! :)

I also suggest searching here (https://my.usfirst.org/frc/scoring/index.lasso?page=teamlist) for Boys & Girls Clubs, Boy Scouts, and Girl Scouts teams.

coalhot
03-13-2013, 09:34 PM
I probably should write a long rambling post about being in Philadelphia, homeschooled, and doing FIRST. :D

I should say first, that the Philadelphia School District requires schools to allow homeschooled students to participate in extracurricular activities at schools. That being said, being on good terms with the team/teachers is a plus. As a homeschooled kid, I tended to spend massive amounts of time at the library, and the teacher of Science in the Summer, a summer science program sponsored by (at the time) GlaxoSmithKline. The teacher (yay Ms Liberman!) happened to be the lead teacher of the robotics team at GWHS (304), and invited my brother and I to the team. After a bout with the School District lawyers, we both joined the team, and it went from there.

I'm not sure how friendly the current school district of Philadelphia teams are to homeschoolers, but (and I'm sure this applies to a lot of schools, teams, and districts) if you get to know the team and the mentors, you have a team to join. It's not hard: come to an event and talk to teams.

/end of rant. Just my $0.02

kevin.li.rit
03-14-2013, 03:13 PM
1405 Finney Falcons has homeschoolers on their team.

eddie12390
03-17-2013, 12:15 PM
3260 accepts students from any school (including home school) as we are hosted by an afterschool program and are in no way affiliated with one specific school.

Zach S.
03-18-2013, 06:15 PM
Team 3307 is open to anyone who wishes to join. Contact me to acquire a spot on the team!

Mr.Frishman
04-02-2013, 08:30 PM
Team 3999(Shadetree Mechanics) in Killeen,TX is an open team that will accept team members from any district or home school. We formed this team for exactly that reason. If anyone in the Central Texas area is looking for a team to join please let me know.
-Leigh Frishman
Shadetree Mechanics

Kageshini
04-03-2013, 07:48 AM
Team 3997's always looking for more students its already almost half and half public schoolers to home schoolers.
Screaming Chickens from San Antonio Texas (you just have to register as a "explorer scout" no we don't go on Boy Scout trips strictly robotics.)

VioletElizabeth
04-03-2013, 11:40 AM
Team 1868, The Space Cookies will take any student, with the one condition being that they must be a girl, as we are a Girl Scout troop. You don't have to be a Girl Scout to join. We have members as far away as Santa Rosa, and we meet in Mountain View at NASA Ames.