PDA

View Full Version : Question about alternate NI cRIO

DavisC
10-21-2011, 02:24 PM
Well, I am with FIRST Team 539 and we were going through our backroom and decided we needed to get rid of some never used boxes. I opened the boxes and WHAT A SUPRISE I found 2 NI controllers with many accompanying modules. (believed to have gotten from the engineering husband of an old teacher)

(2x) cRIO-9002 (with chassis and modules below)
4x 779003-01
4x 779005-01
1x 779006-01
1x 779010-01
4x 779011-01
1x 779012-01
1x 779013-01
1x 779334-01

I am curious to see what I can do with these.
Also, is it possible to use this for our FRC robot?

Any details available would be greatly appreciated
Thanks,
Davis

ebarker
10-21-2011, 02:36 PM
even if you cannot use them on a robot they would be great resource for building table top data acquisition systems and labview training.

great resource indeed.

Jimmy Nichols
10-21-2011, 02:42 PM
I don't think you could use those on your robot for next year. But you could do what we did and we bought and extra one and retrofitted one of our old IFI controlled bots for fall training. Involved all disciplines for the upgrade and was an excellent project.

DavisC
10-21-2011, 03:27 PM
Cool.

Yea I kinda knew i couldn't use them for the competitions but if i outfitted them with the typical modules of the FRC cRIO, would they be usable as extra robot cRIOs?

And for more about doing other things with them, does someone happen to know a great resource for projects to do?

Thanks,
Davis

jhersh
10-22-2011, 02:27 AM
Cool.

Yea I kinda knew i couldn't use them for the competitions but if i outfitted them with the typical modules of the FRC cRIO, would they be usable as extra robot cRIOs?

And for more about doing other things with them, does someone happen to know a great resource for projects to do?

Thanks,
Davis

Only trouble is that the FPGA on that controller is different than the cRIO FRC.

Greg McKaskle
10-22-2011, 05:15 AM
If you have the FPGA tools, they'd make pretty interesting offseason demos, and I think they'd make a pretty awesome offseason field controller.

Greg McKaskle

DavisC
10-25-2011, 03:20 PM
Alright,

So now I am having difficulties setting up the cRIO for use for the first time (I have never sucessfully done this before).

I am stuck on trying to get the cRIO imaging tool to detect the cRIO.
I connected it to my computer (crossover and non), disabled other network adapters, configured ip adress of both correctly (I managed to locate the cRIO under MAX and set the IP adress), tried safe mode, checked on many many threads on this forums, and I attempted to follow 1 MAX manual wich mentioned updating BIOS and ect.

Thanks,
Davis

Thad House
10-25-2011, 03:26 PM
They are not FRC C-RIO's, so the FRC tool will not be able to find it, and you will not be able to image it with the FRC image. You can make your own image with MAX, but that will be very difficult.

jhersh
10-25-2011, 03:55 PM
The imaging tool filters out controllers that are not compatible. If it showed it, the image wouldn't work anyway. Sorry.

DonRotolo
10-25-2011, 04:38 PM
So that means it CAN control a robot, but you need to do all the software stuff the "other" (=non-FRC) way, like a zillion other cRio users in industry.

Not impossible, not all that difficult even, but different for sure.

None of the FRC tools or software will be drop-in compatible, But don't let that discourage you one iota, because you have a super resource there for testing and demonstrations and, best of all, learning...

DavisC
10-26-2011, 02:48 PM
Ok, well this seems quite over my head (I am good with comuters and due to my schools overhaul, networks too but not no engineer...).

But hey, high school is for learnin, so how might I go about attempting this?

Thanks y'all