PDA

View Full Version : 2012 Game Piece breakthrough hint!

Taylor
11-04-2011, 06:58 AM
According to the website (http://www.andymark.com/category-s/234.htm), Logomotion tubes are on closeout at AndyMark.

This must mean that the 2012 game is using ... something else!

In years past, that have meant one game piece was eliminated from consideration, but because of the way Logomotion was, that's four game pieces (red triangles, white circles, yellow circles, blue squares) we won't be using! By continuing this simple process of elimination, we're sure to figure out the 2012 game pieces, and the game can't be far behind!

If we all work together, I'm confident we can solve this by February.

(by the way, we could be using white/blue/yellow triangles, red/blue circles, or red/yellow/white squares, so don't discount those.)

arizonafoxx
11-04-2011, 07:15 AM
I too am confident that we can figure this out by February. I am so confident we can figure this out I predict we figure it out in January. Perhaps even the first Saturday after New years. But maybe I shouldn't narrow it down to a specific day.

Sorry had to do it.

MagiChau
11-04-2011, 07:31 AM
At WMRI (West Michigan Robotics Invitational) teams could take home some tubes if they would like to. One possibility down and infinity left to eliminate.

Anupam Goli
11-04-2011, 07:37 AM
At WMRI (West Michigan Robotics Invitational) teams could take home some tubes if they would like to. One possibility down and infinity left to eliminate.

Same thing happened at GRITS.... I have an Ubertube and Blue Square hanging on my bedroom wall :D

I think it's safe to eliminate all tubes as game elements.... otherwhise you have a repeate of this years' game in a different way.... unless they pull FIRST Frenzy out and rehash it.... That would be quite a strategic game, actually.

rsisk
11-04-2011, 09:08 AM
I'm going out on a limb here, but I predict they will not be using any Yugos in next year's game...

http://www.totalcarmania.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/06/Yugo-2.jpg

GaryVoshol
11-04-2011, 11:10 AM
I'm going out on a limb here, but I predict they will not be using any Yugos in next year's game...
Well I don't know. That would be a typical hard-to-obtain piece. "Whaddaya mean, the manufacturer isn't making them any more?"

kstl99
11-04-2011, 11:31 AM
I think the Yugos broke more often than the tubes.

Josh Drake
11-04-2011, 11:39 AM
Taylor,
Thank you! I needed a laugh after dealing with the school district. :ahh:

Robert Cawthon
11-04-2011, 12:37 PM
Well I don't know. That would be a typical hard-to-obtain piece. "Whaddaya mean, the manufacturer isn't making them any more?"

Seems to me that I recall that cry for 'Orbit Balls' a few years ago. That shouldn't be the reason for discounting the Yugo.

EricH
11-04-2011, 02:12 PM
Seems to me that I recall that cry for 'Orbit Balls' a few years ago. That shouldn't be the reason for discounting the Yugo.
No, that wasn't the cry for the Orbit Balls. The cry for those was "Whaddaya mean the distributor isn't carrying them anymore? Whaddaya mean their factory is shut down until Chinese New Year?" They were still being made, just not in time to get them over here until near the end of build season--and some large distributor had decided to stop carrying them.

kramarczyk
11-04-2011, 02:16 PM
Taylor,

Since the AM page link is "http://www.andymark.com/category-s/234.htm" I don't think we should rule out the usage of old Cyber Blue robots as game pieces. How many of those old machines do they have anyway? Yes, you can include practice robots in the count for the weekends with a lot of events. Yes, you may also reserve Chris Fultz for Einstein.

MK

Ninja_Bait
11-04-2011, 03:45 PM
I believe it would be safe to add Planets, LHC's, and Unicorns to the list. Also, oil... because it's a water game... and oil and water don't mix...

Tetraman
11-04-2011, 04:05 PM
I believe it would be safe to add Planets, LHC's, and Unicorns to the list. Also, oil... because it's a water game... and oil and water don't mix...

Except that's the point. You need to scoop out the Oil and dump it into the Alliance Drums and cap it with the Lid. Don't forget you can lift the alliance Drum out of the Water Arena and hang it on the Rack at the end of the game to score a x2 bonus.

Kpchem
11-04-2011, 04:08 PM
Except that's the point. You need to scoop out the Oil and dump it into the Alliance Drums and cap it with the Lid. Don't forget you can lift the alliance Drum out of the Water Arena and hang it on the Rack at the end of the game to score a x2 bonus.

Unless, of course, the entire green alliance is hanging on the rack first. Then they get the bonus instead.

Tetraman
11-04-2011, 06:32 PM
Unless, of course, the entire green alliance is hanging on the rack first. Then they get the bonus instead.

ah yes. good call.

Hopefully the g-forces involved won't make it difficult for the rookie teams, but I expect that thanks to the added Turbo Encabulator to the kit of parts will help maintain a well-rounded field of Super Alliances.

Tom Ore
11-04-2011, 09:20 PM
I googled 2012 for major anniversaries. Turns out it's the Titanic's 100 year anniversary - game piece is a ship or an iceberg maybe?

ebmonon36
11-04-2011, 11:08 PM
I googled 2012 for major anniversaries. Turns out it's the Titanic's 100 year anniversary - game piece is a ship or an iceberg maybe?

Water game!

Seth Mallory
11-04-2011, 11:10 PM
If we all work together, I'm confident we can solve this by February.

The real question is with all the rule changes each year can First figure the game out by February?:rolleyes:

MagiChau
11-04-2011, 11:13 PM
2012 has been designated Alan Turing year for the 100th year after his birth by the Turing Centenary Advisory Committee. I wonder if the GDC had his extraordinary achievements in mind for the 2012 game.

Andrew Schreiber
11-04-2011, 11:25 PM

http://www.totalcarmania.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/06/Yugo-2.jpg

Speaking of old broken things... I submit that we will not be using fax machines. Still can't figure that thing out...

Ankit S.
11-05-2011, 12:48 AM
Looking at the other items on sale, I see some tread... maybe its the return of the regolith!?!?! :ahh: :ahh:

EricH
11-05-2011, 01:13 AM
Looking at the other items on sale, I see some tread... maybe its the return of the regolith!?!?! :ahh: :ahh:
They do that, they better get rid of the "no metal on carpet" rule--metal is one of the best things to use on real regolith when you're trying to drive around on it.

If we use a telegraph or anything related to it, I will be greatly surprised.

JaneYoung
11-05-2011, 09:59 AM
I wonder if the GDC had his extraordinary achievements in mind for the 2012 game.

Yes, it would be an awesome opportunity.

I think the GDC has always had extraordinary achievements in mind for all of the participants and their supporters. Committed problem solvers can create extraordinary achievements. The game is the door that opens to the world of possibility; it's up to the participants and their supporters to understand that and step through the door.

Jane

SenorZ
11-05-2011, 10:45 AM
They are clearing space for the nanotubes we'll be using next year. FRC robots are too big. We need to get these kids working on the cutting edge!

nany2201
11-05-2011, 09:45 PM
I too am confident that we can figure this out by February.

nuggetsyl
11-05-2011, 10:56 PM
The game piece is not my dog. Another one off the list.

galewind
11-06-2011, 06:11 AM
but it could be your backpack. we cannot eliminate that.

nuggetsyl
11-06-2011, 07:38 AM
but it could be your backpack. we cannot eliminate that.

Great a game in which 3000 robots are trying to find me and place an egg in the backpack.

IndySam
11-06-2011, 07:59 AM
The game piece is not my dog. Another one off the list.

Have you talked to your dog to be sure?

nuggetsyl
11-06-2011, 11:37 AM
Have you talked to your dog to be sure?

I tried a few times but his voice was a bit ruff.

DonRotolo
11-06-2011, 11:58 AM
Great a game in which 3000 robots are trying to find me and place an egg in the backpack.
As one of those few Humans who managed that feat (I have the shirt to prove it), I think that would be a grand idea.

As for your dog: Don't be so quick to eliminate him as a game piece. My recommendation is to start cloning immediately...

team 3311
11-07-2011, 02:01 AM
I have got it
Step 1 reach 88 mph
Step 2 let the flux capasiter do its work
Step 3 let the sparks fly

Ninja_Bait
11-07-2011, 05:42 AM
I have got it
Step 1 reach 88 mph
Step 2 let the flux capasiter do its work
Step 3 let the sparks fly

In addition, the KOP chassis will be stainless steel, the bumpers will be spring-loaded, and we will use a Mr. Fusion instead of a motorcycle battery.

Brandon Zalinsky
11-10-2011, 09:25 AM
I think all we'll need is magnets.. MAGLEV GAME.

rzoeller
11-13-2011, 03:08 PM
The game pieces this year are neutrinos. Good luck.

CarlosGJ
11-13-2011, 05:56 PM
ah yes. good call.

Hopefully the g-forces involved won't make it difficult for the rookie teams, but I expect that thanks to the added Turbo Encabulator to the kit of parts will help maintain a well-rounded field of Super Alliances.

Since FRC seems to be moving to more compact components (i.e., new 4-port cRIO), I believe the Mini Encabulator (http://www.chiefdelphi.com/media/papers/2584) is more likely to be added to the KOP than the bulkier Turbo Encabulator.

PAR_WIG1350
11-13-2011, 06:25 PM

pros: we are always in the presence of neutrinos, thus, there will be no shortage.

cons: neutrinos cannot be seen or otherwise detected and they do not interact with matter, they just kind of keep on going as if the matter wasn't even there.

+1,-2 probably not. How would you determine the score if you can't detect whether or not the scoring object had been scored?

Tetraman
11-13-2011, 08:19 PM
How would you determine the score if you can't detect whether or not the scoring object had been scored?

Technically speaking, neutrinos have been field elements every year of FIRST, starting with the initial game.

Andrew Lawrence
11-13-2011, 08:27 PM
Technically speaking, neutrinos have been field elements every year of FIRST, starting with the initial game.

Heck, they've even been elements before FIRST was created! You know they were there when the first computer was made.

ENIAC
11-17-2011, 01:07 AM
2012 has been designated Alan Turing year for the 100th year after his birth by the Turing Centenary Advisory Committee. I wonder if the GDC had his extraordinary achievements in mind for the 2012 game.

Your Team's robot IS the THEORETICAL UNIVERSAL TURING MACHINE. The game pieces include an infinitely long paper tape.

Taylor
11-17-2011, 07:08 AM
The game pieces include an infinitely long paper tape.

Close - the playing field is a mobius strip.

Kimmeh
11-17-2011, 11:34 AM
How would you determine the score if you can't detect whether or not the scoring object had been scored?

Simple. The game is a mock up of America's Who's Line is it Anyways?, where the points don't matter! A winner is randomly picked based off numerous factors that include the temperature outside, the number of people inside at that exact moment, and what coaches on the opposing team had for lunch. :ahh:

Close - the playing field is a mobius strip.

And the field is in fact a mobius strip.

Patrickwhite
11-17-2011, 08:17 PM
But then you get coaches vetting their diet to try and tip the scales in their teams' favour. Clearly, the deciding factor is going to be the number of red cars in the parking lot.

Aren_Hill
11-17-2011, 11:17 PM

Team Neutrino says okay, we're ready, but you won't notice us

Taylor
11-18-2011, 07:06 AM
Team Neutrino says okay, we're ready, but you won't notice us

Did you guys hear something? I swear somebody said something.

I just got cold chills.

Aren_Hill
11-18-2011, 08:28 AM
vrooooooooooom

nssheepster
11-18-2011, 08:34 AM
No, no, you've got it all wrong! We're going back to Lunacy, but stepping it up...
We'll be on the moon, communicating via sattelite with our 'bots to chuck moon rocks at our competitors! Plus, moon rocks are free on the moon! Easy-peasy!:D

Kimmeh
11-18-2011, 09:06 AM
No, no, you've got it all wrong! We're going back to Lunacy, but stepping it up...
We'll be on the moon, communicating via sattelite with our 'bots to chuck moon rocks at our competitors! Plus, moon rocks are free on the moon! Easy-peasy!:D

Either we're really going to have to bust our butts fundraising, or NASA has really stepped it up with their sponsorship. ...Or they're more desperate for astronauts than they've let on...

And that game piece is too easy to acquire...

Tomatosoup
11-22-2011, 02:12 PM

Too bad NASA doesn't let the general public own moon samples. Looks like we're going to have to work with some shady people if we want to practice this year.

EricH
11-22-2011, 02:45 PM
Too bad NASA doesn't let the general public own moon samples. Looks like we're going to have to work with some shady people if we want to practice this year.
BP-1. It's not lunar material, but it's close enough for on-earth testing.