PDA

View Full Version : [FTC]: Robot size question

h3x
12-13-2011, 08:15 PM
We are wondering if we can have zip ties sticking off of our robot that makes it a little bit more than 18". In the rulebook, it says that the robot must fit in an 18"x18"x18" box and not exert a force on the sides of the box. But does that mean a significant force, or any force at all (like the zip ties)?

Thanks!

normalmutant
12-13-2011, 09:45 PM
I'm fairly certain it means zip ties too. Is this for a sweeper? In our first year, in order to fit, we made our sweeper have zip ties extend in only two directions from the axle, so that if the axle was turned so the the zip ties were vertical, it would fit.

PAR_WIG1350
12-13-2011, 09:49 PM
I'm fairly certain it means zip ties too. Is this for a sweeper? In our first year, in order to fit, we made our sweeper have zip ties extend in only two directions from the axle, so that if the axle was turned so the the zip ties were vertical, it would fit.

Agreed. Plus, since zip ties can exert a force strong enough to move balls, the force can't really be called insignificant.

Michael Coleman
12-13-2011, 10:13 PM
This question is addressed in the FTC Q&A forum. See post #7 in this thread:

ftcforum.usfirst.org/showthread.php?362-Robot-Inspection-Answers (http://ftcforum.usfirst.org/showthread.php?362-Robot-Inspection-Answers)

h3x
12-13-2011, 11:25 PM
Great, thanks.

We have a conveyor belt with zip ties, and I guess we could take off some of them but we don't want balls slipping, because sometimes they sneak through a few zip ties.

Al Skierkiewicz
12-14-2011, 06:22 AM
If you position the belt so that the ties are within the starting size then you are OK. You must insure that you are positioned that way at the start of each match. Your LRI and Head Ref communicate throughout the event.