PDA

View Full Version : Dropping the balls

LondonBoy29
01-09-2012, 01:17 AM
Based on the fact that the end of the hoops are around 14 and a half inches away from the end of the fender, it would be possible to make a system that drops balls in the bottom and middle hoops. Do people think that a system like this would be efficient/ actually possible?

Tom I
01-09-2012, 01:21 AM
Do people think that a system like this would be efficient/ actually possible?

Actually possible? Definitely. I have learned never to discredit an idea, as every idea my team throws out will be tried by another team!

Efficient? Personally I don't think so. The whole "rolling" idea instantly scares me, as that implies a passive ball handling. If you have a ramp or chute let's say that the ball rolls down, you lose active control over the ball. My idea of a better "dropping" method would have a roller push the balls out with very little speed, so you'd accomplish the same thing, but maintain positive control over the balls and have a much faster delivery system. Let us know how it turns out for you guys!

GaryVoshol
01-09-2012, 07:57 PM
... around 14 and a half inches away from the end of the fender, ...

Don't forget your bumpers when you're doing your calculations.

donnie99
01-09-2012, 08:24 PM

This is something that we decided would play a major role in how we scored. The bumper adds 2 1/2" to the robot, and increase the distance from the baskets.

DonRotolo
01-09-2012, 08:44 PM
Consider whether there is anything preventing a defender from pushing your robot as that ball gently rolls off towards the hoop...

MrForbes
01-09-2012, 09:23 PM
We're looking into more of a slam-dunk idea, but still haven't found the geometry to make it work.

Duke461
01-09-2012, 09:27 PM

Unless you made a gap in your robot, allowing yourself to "wedge" into the corner of the fender and be able to make it to the rim soundly. However, I'm guessing a Team Update will say you cannot touch the rim.

pfreivald
01-09-2012, 09:31 PM
...and keep in mind that one-point scores might actually hurt you... If your opponent can consistently take and score a 2- or 3-point shot from a returned ball, you'd be better off holding onto the ball than scoring a one-point shot (except perhaps at the very end... but at that point you should be balancing!)

Duke461
01-09-2012, 09:39 PM
...and keep in mind that one-point scores might actually hurt you... If your opponent can consistently take and score a 2- or 3-point shot from a returned ball, you'd be better off holding onto the ball than scoring a one-point shot (except perhaps at the very end... but at that point you should be balancing!)

Don't ignore the possibility of dumping into the middle goals.....

RedLeader342
01-09-2012, 10:14 PM
there is the fact that the 2nd basket is 1 inch higher than you can make your robot extend to. just sayin

John
01-09-2012, 10:18 PM
there is the fact that the 2nd basket is 1 inch higher than you can make your robot extend to. just sayin

You can be 84 inches in the offensive side of the field.

pfreivald
01-09-2012, 10:20 PM
Don't ignore the possibility of dumping into the middle goals.....

Oh, I haven't. I presume many teams that are not shooting will be doing exactly this -- and getting pushed around a bit in the process!