PDA

View Full Version : Jaguars and rc?

the man
01-11-2012, 08:18 PM
Ok, so we tried to run a victor of an rc receiver but this one required a signal mixer we didnt have. So we are wondering if a jaguars can be run off an rc signal. If so do you think the one we tried to use with the victors that failed will work for the jaguars?

NOV8R
01-11-2012, 10:53 PM
We use rc systems to test our drive trains with Jaguars all the time. No special cables needed.

the man
01-12-2012, 06:16 AM
Does that one work with the victors? Apparently some rc are different.

BAM
01-12-2012, 06:48 AM
Victors should work with a standard RC equipment. Its all running of of PWM signals. What color (if any) does the LED on the Victor show?

RufflesRidge
01-12-2012, 07:46 AM
Victors should work with a standard RC equipment. Its all running of of PWM signals. What color (if any) does the LED on the Victor show?

Some RC equipment does not drive the PWM signal strong enough for the electronics in the Victor. IFI sells a signal booster powered off the PWM 5V line for use with this type of equipment.

Jaguars do not have this issue as far as I know. That means it is certainly possible to have an RC receiver that works with a Jag, but not a Victor

the man
01-12-2012, 01:48 PM
Ok thanks. I'll try it tonight and see. Fingers crossed.

s1900ahon
01-12-2012, 05:51 PM
Both Jaguar and Victor have similar front ends on the PWM interface; they both use opto-isolators. The difference is likely in the resistor value used and resulting current drawn from the PWM signal source.

If you use a Jaguar for this application, you'll need to recalibrate it since the range of the PWM signal is wider on the Jaguar than a normal RC PWM signal, and if left uncalibrated you will not get full output at the full RC PWM range (1.0 .. 2.0 ms). The Jaguar range is optimized to work with the cRIO.

And if you move it from your project back to a cRIO run robot, don't forget to re-re-calibrate it ;)

s1900ahon
01-12-2012, 06:22 PM
Someone with better insight than I w.r.t. the Victor's front end pointed out that the opto-isolators used on the Jag and Victor are not the same and this is the main difference.

I still stand by the advice on re- and re-re- calibrating. ;)