View Single Post
  #34   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 08-16-2012, 07:50 AM
AKA: Andrew Remmers
no team
Team Role: College Student

Rookie Year: 2007
Andrew Remmers has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Remmers has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Remmers has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Remmers has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Remmers has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Remmers has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Remmers has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Remmers has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Remmers has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Remmers has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Remmers has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Andrew Remmers Send a message via Skype™ to Andrew Remmers
Re: [FTC]: Unlimited raw materials. Welding. Wow!

Quote:
Originally Posted by chi-town-biker View Post
No one has mentioned this but FTC lacks an equivalent to FRCís R18 which states ďRobot elements designed or created before the Kickoff presentation, including software, are not permitted.Ē The implication is that FTC teams can reuse any parts they build for multiple years. It hasnít been an issue until now because what you could build was so limited.

I donít think the missing rule is necessarily bad. I wouldnít suggest it for this seasonís game but I could see a team building mecanum wheels from raw materials next summer and reusing them for several seasons. That would be an excellent way to teach everything from drive system theory to machining skills.
I think they should allow teams to purchase parts from a third party company, now that the materials are unlimited. Someone could design and sell things like mechanum wheels and such to teams for teams who don't necissarily have those machining capablities, kinda like Andymark, and West Coast Products for FRC. That would be interesting.

Built and Dangerous (B.A.D) 2011-2012

Community Mentor of Knowledge / School Break 2012-2014

North American Robotics: The MooseEagles Founding Member 2012-Present (VEX U)
2012-2013 (Sack Attack) College Excellence Award
2012-2013 (Sack Attack) College Finalist Award