Go to Post CD would not be what it is without Brandon - Richard Wallace [more]
Home
Go Back   Chief Delphi > FIRST > General Forum
CD-Events   CD-Media   CD-Spy   FRC-Spy  
portal register members calendar search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ rules

#1   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-04-2012, 06:44 PM
(Insert witty comment here)
FRC #0057 (The Leopards)
Team Role: Mentor

Rookie Year: 1998
Kevin Sevcik has a reputation beyond reputeKevin Sevcik has a reputation beyond reputeKevin Sevcik has a reputation beyond reputeKevin Sevcik has a reputation beyond reputeKevin Sevcik has a reputation beyond reputeKevin Sevcik has a reputation beyond reputeKevin Sevcik has a reputation beyond reputeKevin Sevcik has a reputation beyond reputeKevin Sevcik has a reputation beyond reputeKevin Sevcik has a reputation beyond reputeKevin Sevcik has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Kevin Sevcik Send a message via Yahoo to Kevin Sevcik
Video of first ever triple balance

Just in case anyone might be interested. Sadly, my camera's battery died, so I don't have any footage of the epic 148 v 118 show down in the semis, but this match still seems noteworthy.

http://youtu.be/509eQSLcm90

Lone Star Regional Troubleshooter
  #2   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-04-2012, 07:07 PM
AKA: Om Mahida
no team
Team Role: Alumni

Rookie Year: 2010
om23 is a jewel in the roughom23 is a jewel in the roughom23 is a jewel in the rough
Re: Video of first ever triple balance

so what is team 148 using? I know its their "secret weapon" but from the video I see the arm part moving up but the red alliance robo blocks the view for a second. Is the "arm" pushing off the playing field or something?
  #3   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-04-2012, 07:17 PM
FRC #0057 (The Leopards)

Kevin Sevcik has a reputation beyond reputeKevin Sevcik has a reputation beyond reputeKevin Sevcik has a reputation beyond reputeKevin Sevcik has a reputation beyond reputeKevin Sevcik has a reputation beyond reputeKevin Sevcik has a reputation beyond reputeKevin Sevcik has a reputation beyond reputeKevin Sevcik has a reputation beyond reputeKevin Sevcik has a reputation beyond reputeKevin Sevcik has a reputation beyond reputeKevin Sevcik has a reputation beyond repute

I never got a close up look at it. All I saw of it was a black rod extending down and pushing up that side of the bridge. I believe there was a caster on the bottom, and it looked smooth but fast, so I'd guess it was a pneumatic cylinder with some needle valves to control the speed.

#4   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-04-2012, 08:32 PM
Engineering Coach
AKA: Allen "JAG" Gregory
FRC #3847 (Spectrum)
Team Role: Coach

Rookie Year: 2003
AllenGregoryIV has a reputation beyond reputeAllenGregoryIV has a reputation beyond reputeAllenGregoryIV has a reputation beyond reputeAllenGregoryIV has a reputation beyond reputeAllenGregoryIV has a reputation beyond reputeAllenGregoryIV has a reputation beyond reputeAllenGregoryIV has a reputation beyond reputeAllenGregoryIV has a reputation beyond reputeAllenGregoryIV has a reputation beyond reputeAllenGregoryIV has a reputation beyond reputeAllenGregoryIV has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to AllenGregoryIV

Yes it is a pneumatic cylinder with a telescoping square tube and castor that allows their back wheels to hang off the edge of the bridge and to prevent it from tipping back their direction. (As far as I know they didn't use it in this match). Also of note, 922 is mecanum in the long direction, so 148 is pushing them up the bridge sideways.

That match was amazing, I was at the scoring table and was just in shock, you can see me walk away from the table (I was only an inspector) and throw my hat after they get balanced. I haven't seen that many camera phones come out that quickly before in a long time.

Team 647 | Cyber Wolf Corps | Alumni | 2003-2006 | Shoemaker HS
Team 2587 | DiscoBots | Mentor | 2008-2011 | Rice University / Houston Food Bank
Team 3847 | Spectrum | Coach | 2012-20... | St Agnes Academy
LRI | Alamo Regional | 2014-20...
"Competition has been shown to be useful up to a certain point and no further, but cooperation, which is the thing we must strive for today, begins where competition leaves off." - Franklin D. Roosevelt
  #5   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-04-2012, 09:43 PM
I probably text you
AKA: @FRCZach
no team
Team Role: College Student

Rookie Year: 2009
Zach O has a reputation beyond reputeZach O has a reputation beyond reputeZach O has a reputation beyond reputeZach O has a reputation beyond reputeZach O has a reputation beyond reputeZach O has a reputation beyond reputeZach O has a reputation beyond reputeZach O has a reputation beyond reputeZach O has a reputation beyond reputeZach O has a reputation beyond reputeZach O has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Zach O

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllenGregoryIV View Post
(As far as I know they didn't use it in this match).
You can watch it retract at the end. 245 is in the way for the deployment.

If you look VERY close you can watch it work. The bridge lifts, THEN the robots push forward a little, and then it retracts back up. Suggesting they used their deployment device to level themselves with the bridge, bumped the robots forward just far enough, and then retracted their cylinder.

Last edited by Zach O : 03-04-2012 at 09:46 PM.
  #6   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-04-2012, 10:04 PM
FRC #0057 (The Leopards)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zach O View Post
You can watch it retract at the end. 245 is in the way for the deployment.

If you look VERY close you can watch it work. The bridge lifts, THEN the robots push forward a little, and then it retracts back up. Suggesting they used their deployment device to level themselves with the bridge, bumped the robots forward just far enough, and then retracted their cylinder.
Smart money would be on them having a sensor on the end to tell how well balanced the bridge is.

#7   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-04-2012, 10:22 PM
I probably text you
AKA: @FRCZach
no team
Team Role: College Student

Rookie Year: 2009
Zach O has a reputation beyond reputeZach O has a reputation beyond reputeZach O has a reputation beyond reputeZach O has a reputation beyond reputeZach O has a reputation beyond reputeZach O has a reputation beyond reputeZach O has a reputation beyond reputeZach O has a reputation beyond reputeZach O has a reputation beyond reputeZach O has a reputation beyond reputeZach O has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Zach O

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Sevcik View Post
Smart money would be on them having a sensor on the end to tell how well balanced the bridge is.
Using sensors, my guess is it's hard to tell "how well" the bridge is balanced. Unless you can figure out the force being exerted on the cylinder, I suppose. A gyro would return you that you're level the moment you went up, regardless if the bridge would balanced if they brought the cylinder up. However, if you can judge the moment when the bridge truly levels out and the cylinder does less work than before, you could automatically decide when to bring up the cylinder.
  #8   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-04-2012, 10:26 PM
FRC #0057 (The Leopards)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zach O View Post
Using sensors, my guess is it's hard to tell "how well" the bridge is balanced. Unless you can figure out the force being exerted on the cylinder, I suppose.
There's a Sensor for that. It's called a Load Cell. They can be pretty useful in the right application. Like digital scales and such.

#9   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-04-2012, 09:39 PM
FRC #2936

Gatorzilla2936 is a splendid one to beholdGatorzilla2936 is a splendid one to beholdGatorzilla2936 is a splendid one to beholdGatorzilla2936 is a splendid one to beholdGatorzilla2936 is a splendid one to beholdGatorzilla2936 is a splendid one to beholdGatorzilla2936 is a splendid one to behold
Smile Re: Video of first ever triple balance

I was the Driver For FIRST Team 2936 that was awesome!!!!!!
Miguel!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: