Go to Post "Its never too late to be inspired" - Alex Golec [more]
Home
Go Back   Chief Delphi > Technical > Programming > Java
CD-Events   CD-Media   CD-Spy   FRC-Spy  
portal register members calendar search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ rules

#1   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-14-2012, 09:08 PM
FRC #2443

Nymph808 is an unknown quantity at this point
Programming the 393 VEX Motor in Java

So we're adding a VEX 393 motor to run a camera mount, and I was wondering how to program the actual motor. We've connected the motor to the speed controller it came with and from there, it connects to a PWM slot on the side car. I've been looking at the Java documentations under the SpeedController interface, but the only classes it implements are the Jaguar and Victor classes. I don't know if the VEX motor uses one of those classes, or if it uses it's own separate class. Any ideas?
  #2   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-11-2012, 03:01 PM
FRC #3585 (Rogue Robots)
Team Role: Programmer

Rookie Year: 2009
Ian McShane will become famous soon enoughIan McShane will become famous soon enough
Re: Programming the 393 VEX Motor in Java

I am pretty sure that almost any time you hook up any motor to a vex or jag you will use the victor class in java because when you use the victor class it wont differentiate what is wired to it. all it will do is send an output of whatever you set it to in the code.
  #3   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-12-2012, 01:17 PM
FRC #3540 (Wildcat Robotics)

Rookie Year: 2011
sand500 is an unknown quantity at this point

You might want to try the servo class. I believe we got the motor to turn with the servo class. But we were also using the vex speed controller.
  #4   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-12-2012, 03:27 PM
FRC #0053 (Area 53)
Team Role: Programmer

Rookie Year: 2011
nyaculak will become famous soon enough

I believe you can either control it with the Victor or Jaguar class. I believe it is also possible to control it by creating an instance of the PWM class.
- FRC Team 53 "Area 53"
www.erhsroboticsclub.org
  #5   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-12-2012, 03:38 PM
no team

RufflesRidge has much to be proud ofRufflesRidge has much to be proud ofRufflesRidge has much to be proud ofRufflesRidge has much to be proud ofRufflesRidge has much to be proud ofRufflesRidge has much to be proud ofRufflesRidge has much to be proud ofRufflesRidge has much to be proud ofRufflesRidge has much to be proud ofRufflesRidge has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyaculak View Post
I believe you can either control it with the Victor or Jaguar class. I believe it is also possible to control it by creating an instance of the PWM class.
The Victor class would be correct as the VEX controller PWM timings match those of the Victor. The Jaguar uses different timings. You could certainly use the PWM class and specify the timings yourself but it would be extra work to do so.
  #6   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-12-2012, 04:45 PM
Joe Ross's Avatar Unsung FIRST Hero
FRC #0330 (Beachbots)
Team Role: Engineer

Rookie Year: 1997
Joe Ross has a reputation beyond reputeJoe Ross has a reputation beyond reputeJoe Ross has a reputation beyond reputeJoe Ross has a reputation beyond reputeJoe Ross has a reputation beyond reputeJoe Ross has a reputation beyond reputeJoe Ross has a reputation beyond reputeJoe Ross has a reputation beyond reputeJoe Ross has a reputation beyond reputeJoe Ross has a reputation beyond reputeJoe Ross has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by RufflesRidge View Post
The Victor class would be correct as the VEX controller PWM timings match those of the Victor. The Jaguar uses different timings. You could certainly use the PWM class and specify the timings yourself but it would be extra work to do so.

The update rate for the victor in the control system is 100hz, which is beyond spec but works. However, I'd be hesitant to recommend it for the 393 without testing it. The servo class uses the more conservative 50hz.

Have you tried it?
  #7   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-12-2012, 04:56 PM
no team

RufflesRidge has much to be proud ofRufflesRidge has much to be proud ofRufflesRidge has much to be proud ofRufflesRidge has much to be proud ofRufflesRidge has much to be proud ofRufflesRidge has much to be proud ofRufflesRidge has much to be proud ofRufflesRidge has much to be proud ofRufflesRidge has much to be proud ofRufflesRidge has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Ross View Post
Have you tried it?
I have, however I didn't do extensive testing to verify that I was actually seeing the free speed at max signal in either direction. The Servo class would certainly seem to be the safer choice.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: