OCCRA
Go to Post At GLR our team only had to deal with a bunch on kids seeing snow for the first time. With all the ensuing snow fights and vainly trying to run up the giant snowy hill behind the arena. - Kevin Sevcik [more]
Home
Go Back   Chief Delphi > Competition > Championship Event
CD-Events   CD-Media   CD-Spy   FRC-Spy  
portal register members calendar search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ rules

Closed Thread

#1   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-10-2012, 11:59 AM
Karthik's Avatar Unsung FIRST Hero
VEX Robotics GDC Chairman
FRC #1114 (Simbotics)
Team Role: Mentor

Rookie Year: 1998
Karthik has a reputation beyond reputeKarthik has a reputation beyond reputeKarthik has a reputation beyond reputeKarthik has a reputation beyond reputeKarthik has a reputation beyond reputeKarthik has a reputation beyond reputeKarthik has a reputation beyond reputeKarthik has a reputation beyond reputeKarthik has a reputation beyond reputeKarthik has a reputation beyond reputeKarthik has a reputation beyond repute
Karthik & 1114: Effective FIRST Strategies 2012

With the Championships in St. Louis rapidly approaching, I'd like to remind teams of the FIRST Robotics Conference which will be taking place. At 4:00 PM on Wednesday evening, myself and Team 1114 will once again be delivering our seminar on Effective FIRST Strategies. This year, FIRST has graciously given us 2 hours to present on this topic, which will allow us to cover some topics at a much more in depth level than the past, as well as covering some entirely new topics.

Here are the threads discussing the last three editions of this seminar:

http://www.chiefdelphi.com/forums/sh...05#post1054705
http://www.chiefdelphi.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=76778
http://www.chiefdelphi.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=84958

And the abstract:

Quote:
This presentation focuses on three major areas, Strategic Design, Match Planning/Execution, and Scouting. Rather than spending time on equations and detailed calculations, the Strategic Design gives a more high-level overview of how to design an FRC robot. This portion of the presentation includes sections on such often neglected strategic design areas such as Game Analysis, Chokehold Strategies, Cost-Benefit Analysis, Task Prioritization, and Tradeoffs using a case studies from past games. The Match Planning/Execution section of the presentation discusses effective habits and strategies that will help lead a team to victory. This is a must for those who enjoy the strategic aspects of FIRST. The Scouting section deals with effective techniques to collect information on your partners/opponents, and how to make the most of this data. Advanced statistical metrics analgous to "Sabremetrics" in baseball will also be discussed. The presentation is filled with entertaining and insightful historical FIRST anecdotes from the past 14 years. With the information in this presentation, you can turn your team from a mere competitor to a perennial powerhouse!
Some specific topics that we plan on discussing that haven't been covered in detail in the past.

- Why "OPR" is a flawed indicator in Rebound Rumble
- Alliance selection strategy & the "Do Not Pick List"
- The "secrets" behind the accomplishments of the great teams

If there are any topics you'd like to discussed in detail, or questions you'd like answered, post them here and we'll be happy to address them during the presentation.

If you're really into FIRST strategy, looking to improve your team, curious what it means to "ball so hard", or just looking for some good FIRST related laughs, this is a presentation you won't want to miss.

For information on how to register please visit the following link:

http://www.usfirst.org/roboticsprogr...ics-conference

I hope to see all of you there!
"Enthusiasm is one of the most powerful engines of success. When you do a thing, do it with all your might. Put your whole soul into it. Stamp it with your own personality. Be active, be energetic, be enthusiastic and faithful and you will accomplish your object. Nothing great was ever achieved without enthusiasm" -- R.W. Emerson
My TEDx Talk - The Subtle Secrets of Success
Full disclosure: I work for IFI and VEX Robotics, and am the Chairman of the VEX Robotics and VEX IQ Game Design Committees
  #2   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-10-2012, 12:01 PM
Live everyday like it's your last
AKA: Katie Stevens
FRC #1923 (Midknight Inventors)
Team Role: Alumni

Rookie Year: 2006
Horsegirrl has a reputation beyond reputeHorsegirrl has a reputation beyond reputeHorsegirrl has a reputation beyond reputeHorsegirrl has a reputation beyond reputeHorsegirrl has a reputation beyond reputeHorsegirrl has a reputation beyond reputeHorsegirrl has a reputation beyond reputeHorsegirrl has a reputation beyond reputeHorsegirrl has a reputation beyond reputeHorsegirrl has a reputation beyond reputeHorsegirrl has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Karthik & 1114: Effective FIRST Strategies 2012

I know i will be there! I love Karthik's talks!

Master of Ceremonies
2011- Brunswick Eruption, Ramp Riot 2012- Hatboro- Horsham District, Rutgers District, New York City, Boston, Lenape District, Mt.Olive District, Monty Madness, BR^2, Ramp Riot, BE 2013- Hatboro- Horsham District, New York City, TCNJ District, Lenape District, Bridgewater Raritan District, MAR Champs, Monty Madness, MidKnight Mayhem, BE 2014- Clifton District, Lenape District, Bridgewater District, NYC Regional, MAR Champs, Monty Madness, Midknight Mayhem

And yes, i do ride horses
  #3   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-10-2012, 06:39 PM
Always a Midknight Inventor.
AKA: denim's in the genes.
FRC #1923 (The MidKnight Inventors)

Rookie Year: 1992
Libby K has a reputation beyond reputeLibby K has a reputation beyond reputeLibby K has a reputation beyond reputeLibby K has a reputation beyond reputeLibby K has a reputation beyond reputeLibby K has a reputation beyond reputeLibby K has a reputation beyond reputeLibby K has a reputation beyond reputeLibby K has a reputation beyond reputeLibby K has a reputation beyond reputeLibby K has a reputation beyond repute

I'll be there! Karthik and 1114 always manage to have a fantastic presentation. Informative, helpful for people of all experience levels, and hilarious! I'm glad it will be recorded this year so I can pass it on to FIRST friends who aren't there.
Founder, Captain, Operator, Regional Champion, & proud Alumni. I will always be a MidKnight Inventor.
Continuing my support from 2010 onward as a mentor & drive coach.

2010 to 2013: 229 Division By Zero and 4124 Integration by Parts
Clarkson University Mentor for FLL/FTC, & Lead Mentor for FRC.

-
questions? comments? concerns? | twitter: @libbyk | about.me/libbykamen
  #4   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-10-2012, 12:01 PM
AKA: Josh P.
FRC #1675 (Ultimate Protection Squad)
Team Role: Engineer

Rookie Year: 2007
BigJ has a reputation beyond reputeBigJ has a reputation beyond reputeBigJ has a reputation beyond reputeBigJ has a reputation beyond reputeBigJ has a reputation beyond reputeBigJ has a reputation beyond reputeBigJ has a reputation beyond reputeBigJ has a reputation beyond reputeBigJ has a reputation beyond reputeBigJ has a reputation beyond reputeBigJ has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karthik View Post
curious what it means to "ball so hard",
Honestly, that's just crazy. Sadly no one will find me in St. Louis this year.

Hoping to see/hear a recording of this Pretty please Rolls-Royce?
  #5   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-10-2012, 12:04 PM
Work it harder, make it better.
AKA: SuperNerd256
FRC #1323 (Madtown Robotics)
Team Role: College Student

Rookie Year: 2011
Andrew Lawrence has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Lawrence has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Lawrence has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Lawrence has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Lawrence has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Lawrence has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Lawrence has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Lawrence has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Lawrence has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Lawrence has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Lawrence has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Andrew Lawrence

Webcast of the presentation?

"The greats weren't great because at birth they could paint, the greats were great because they paint a lot" -Macklemore
  #6   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-10-2012, 12:04 PM
Karthik's Avatar Unsung FIRST Hero
VEX Robotics GDC Chairman
FRC #1114 (Simbotics)

Rookie Year: 1998
Karthik has a reputation beyond reputeKarthik has a reputation beyond reputeKarthik has a reputation beyond reputeKarthik has a reputation beyond reputeKarthik has a reputation beyond reputeKarthik has a reputation beyond reputeKarthik has a reputation beyond reputeKarthik has a reputation beyond reputeKarthik has a reputation beyond reputeKarthik has a reputation beyond reputeKarthik has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJ View Post
Honestly, that's just crazy.

Hoping to see/hear a recording of this Pretty please Rolls-Royce?
Team 1114 will be recording this presentation and putting up on our website as part of the Textbook for Success after Championship. If all goes well, it may included on the Simbot mobile app, Simphone.
"Enthusiasm is one of the most powerful engines of success. When you do a thing, do it with all your might. Put your whole soul into it. Stamp it with your own personality. Be active, be energetic, be enthusiastic and faithful and you will accomplish your object. Nothing great was ever achieved without enthusiasm" -- R.W. Emerson
My TEDx Talk - The Subtle Secrets of Success
Full disclosure: I work for IFI and VEX Robotics, and am the Chairman of the VEX Robotics and VEX IQ Game Design Committees
  #7   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-10-2012, 12:13 PM
Robots don't quit, and neither do I
AKA: Leeland
FRC #1405 (Finney Falcons)
Team Role: Tactician

Rookie Year: 2005
LeelandS has a reputation beyond reputeLeelandS has a reputation beyond reputeLeelandS has a reputation beyond reputeLeelandS has a reputation beyond reputeLeelandS has a reputation beyond reputeLeelandS has a reputation beyond reputeLeelandS has a reputation beyond reputeLeelandS has a reputation beyond reputeLeelandS has a reputation beyond reputeLeelandS has a reputation beyond reputeLeelandS has a reputation beyond repute

I've wanted to see this first hand for years! Guess I'll have to wait a little longer...

I'm glad 1114 is recording it this year though! I can't wait to see it!!

Thank you for everything you do Karthik! You and 1114 are truly role-models in FIRST.

I want to change everything. I want to revolutionize FIRST. If only, one team, and one day, at a time.
  #8   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-10-2012, 12:19 PM
AKA: Simon Bohn
FRC #0639 (Code Red)

Rookie Year: 2010
Grim Tuesday has a reputation beyond reputeGrim Tuesday has a reputation beyond reputeGrim Tuesday has a reputation beyond reputeGrim Tuesday has a reputation beyond reputeGrim Tuesday has a reputation beyond reputeGrim Tuesday has a reputation beyond reputeGrim Tuesday has a reputation beyond reputeGrim Tuesday has a reputation beyond reputeGrim Tuesday has a reputation beyond reputeGrim Tuesday has a reputation beyond reputeGrim Tuesday has a reputation beyond repute

I will be buying a conference pass just to go to this presentation.

-Buckeye Regional Champion 2013, 2014
-Newton Division Finalists 2012 thanks to 68 and 330
  #9   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-10-2012, 12:22 PM
Flybotix Fanatic
FRC #1885 (iLITE)

Rookie Year: 2005
JesseK has a reputation beyond reputeJesseK has a reputation beyond reputeJesseK has a reputation beyond reputeJesseK has a reputation beyond reputeJesseK has a reputation beyond reputeJesseK has a reputation beyond reputeJesseK has a reputation beyond reputeJesseK has a reputation beyond reputeJesseK has a reputation beyond reputeJesseK has a reputation beyond reputeJesseK has a reputation beyond repute

Finally, they gave the presentation the amount of time it deserves.
  #10   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-10-2012, 12:03 PM
Chase perfection. Catch excellence.
AKA: Let's bring CD back to the way it used to be
FRC #0125 (NU-TRONs, Team #11 Alumni (GO MORT))
Team Role: Engineer

Rookie Year: 2001
Brandon Holley has a reputation beyond reputeBrandon Holley has a reputation beyond reputeBrandon Holley has a reputation beyond reputeBrandon Holley has a reputation beyond reputeBrandon Holley has a reputation beyond reputeBrandon Holley has a reputation beyond reputeBrandon Holley has a reputation beyond reputeBrandon Holley has a reputation beyond reputeBrandon Holley has a reputation beyond reputeBrandon Holley has a reputation beyond reputeBrandon Holley has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Brandon Holley

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karthik View Post
If you're really into FIRST strategy, looking to improve your team, curious what it means to "ball so hard"
Only question I have is...

WHAT SHE ORDER?

NUTRONs (Team 125) '05-???
2007 Boston Regional Winners
2008 & 2009 Boston Regional Driving Tomorrow's Technology Award
2010 Boston Regional Creativity Award
2011 Bayou Regional Finalists, Innovation in Control Award, Boston Regional Finalists, Industrial Design Award
2012 New York City Regional Winners, Boston Regional Finalists, IRI Mentor of the Year
2013 Orlando Regional Finalists, Industrial Design Award, Boston Regional Winners, Pine Tree Regional Finalists
2014 Rhode Island District Winners, Excellence in Engineering Award, Northeastern University District Winners, Undefeated 18-0, Industrial Design Award, Pine Tree District Chairman's Award, Pine Tree District Winners
  #11   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-10-2012, 02:34 PM
AKA: Zachary King
FRC #2506 (SABER ROBOTICS)
Team Role: Leadership

Rookie Year: 2010
O.S.S. King is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandon Holley View Post
Only question I have is...

WHAT SHE ORDER?
FISH FILET!!!!!!
  #12   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-10-2012, 03:02 PM
FF Pure Mi
AKA: Isaac Rife
no team (N/A)
Team Role: Mechanical

Rookie Year: 2003
IKE has a reputation beyond reputeIKE has a reputation beyond reputeIKE has a reputation beyond reputeIKE has a reputation beyond reputeIKE has a reputation beyond reputeIKE has a reputation beyond reputeIKE has a reputation beyond reputeIKE has a reputation beyond reputeIKE has a reputation beyond reputeIKE has a reputation beyond reputeIKE has a reputation beyond repute

I would be interested in a nice little talk about practice. Oh yes, I said PRACTICE.PRACTICE.

The benefits of doing specific skills drills vs. 2 minute match formats.

Full field vs. 1/2 court.

I have had the privelege of watching a few top notch teams practice, and I was impressed with some of the things I saw. I have observed some of the benefits of drills with my own team in 2007, 2010, and 2011.
  #13   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-10-2012, 03:05 PM
AKA: Patrick Freivald
FRC #1551 (The Grapes of Wrath)

pfreivald has a reputation beyond reputepfreivald has a reputation beyond reputepfreivald has a reputation beyond reputepfreivald has a reputation beyond reputepfreivald has a reputation beyond reputepfreivald has a reputation beyond reputepfreivald has a reputation beyond reputepfreivald has a reputation beyond reputepfreivald has a reputation beyond reputepfreivald has a reputation beyond reputepfreivald has a reputation beyond repute

I'm very happy to see the presentation will be available to us plebians who will not be able to attend. Thanks much for that!
Bausch & Lomb, PTC Corporation, and Naples High School

I write books, too!
  #14   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-10-2012, 03:10 PM
AKA: Joey
FRC #1714 (MORE Robotics)

Laaba 80 has a reputation beyond reputeLaaba 80 has a reputation beyond reputeLaaba 80 has a reputation beyond reputeLaaba 80 has a reputation beyond reputeLaaba 80 has a reputation beyond reputeLaaba 80 has a reputation beyond reputeLaaba 80 has a reputation beyond reputeLaaba 80 has a reputation beyond reputeLaaba 80 has a reputation beyond reputeLaaba 80 has a reputation beyond reputeLaaba 80 has a reputation beyond repute

The conference registration page says that the single/individual passes are for 45 minute presentations. Was this just an oversight by FIRST, or do we need a different pass to attend your conference?
  #15   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-10-2012, 03:12 PM
Here comes StuyPulse
AKA: Joe Blay
FRC #0694 (StuyPulse)
Team Role: Coach

Rookie Year: 2006
jblay has a reputation beyond reputejblay has a reputation beyond reputejblay has a reputation beyond reputejblay has a reputation beyond reputejblay has a reputation beyond reputejblay has a reputation beyond reputejblay has a reputation beyond reputejblay has a reputation beyond reputejblay has a reputation beyond reputejblay has a reputation beyond reputejblay has a reputation beyond repute

I have never been able to catch this presentation. But this year I have booked my flight so that I can get to St. Louis in time to see it. Who needs to go to Wednesday classes when you can go to a lecture presented by Karthik?
2011 CMP 5th Alliance Captains & Quarter Finalists 2011 Connecticut Chairman's
2010 Connecticut Chairman's
2010 NYC Champions
2008 NYC Engineering Inspiration
2007 NYC Finalists
2006 NYC Finalists
2005 NYC Chairman's
2003 NYC Champions
2002 NYC Engineering Inspiration
2001 NYC Finalists
Closed Thread

Display Modes Rate This Thread