OCCRA
Go to Post (I'm sure that Dave is holding his breath for "welding with Jello".) - jgannon [more]
Home
Go Back   Chief Delphi > FIRST > Robot Showcase
CD-Events   CD-Media   CD-Spy   FRC-Spy  
portal register members calendar search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ rules

Closed Thread

#1   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-30-2012, 06:32 PM
simplicity is the key to victory
FRC #0558
Team Role: Engineer

Rookie Year: 2003
jwfoss has a reputation beyond reputejwfoss has a reputation beyond reputejwfoss has a reputation beyond reputejwfoss has a reputation beyond reputejwfoss has a reputation beyond reputejwfoss has a reputation beyond reputejwfoss has a reputation beyond reputejwfoss has a reputation beyond reputejwfoss has a reputation beyond reputejwfoss has a reputation beyond reputejwfoss has a reputation beyond repute
FRC2168 - Behind the Design

Many of you remember back in 2006 and 2007 when the Behind the Design books were sold, and the great information teams provided. I feel as though a lot of teams benefited from reading those, as I know that I did.

FRC2168 in an effort to share ourselves with the community has put together segmented posts of the different components of our design. We encourage other teams to do the same.

Our team may have had a rollercoaster of a season, but we couldn't be prouder of what we created. Below you will see individual posts from my blog, if you have any questions feel free to ask. Thanks.

Behind the Design - Scoring Analysis & Strategy
Behind the Design - Chassis & Superstructure
Behind the Design - Lift & Hopper
Behind the Design - Drivetrain
Behind the Design - Shooter
Behind the Design - Bridge Manipulator
Behind the Design - Balance Aid Device

A special thank you to all the teams that have inspired us, been our alliance partners, and our opponents.
[2007-2010] FRC 0229 - Division By Zero
[2003-2006] FRC 0176 - Aces High
  #2   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-30-2012, 06:52 PM
Currently teamless
no team
Team Role: Alumni

Rookie Year: 2006
Akash Rastogi has a reputation beyond reputeAkash Rastogi has a reputation beyond reputeAkash Rastogi has a reputation beyond reputeAkash Rastogi has a reputation beyond reputeAkash Rastogi has a reputation beyond reputeAkash Rastogi has a reputation beyond reputeAkash Rastogi has a reputation beyond reputeAkash Rastogi has a reputation beyond reputeAkash Rastogi has a reputation beyond reputeAkash Rastogi has a reputation beyond reputeAkash Rastogi has a reputation beyond repute
Re: FRC2168 - Behind the Design

Justin, this turned out sweet! The information is presented in a very clean and organized manner with your blog. Thanks for doing this, and I hope others follow.

Alumni/Mentor FRC 11 - MORT | ['11-'12]: Co-Founder/Mentor FRC 3929 | ['06-'10]: Student FRC 11- MORT | ['08-'12]: Founder - EWCP
  #3   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-30-2012, 10:02 PM
AKA: Nick Dulworth
FRC #2587 (DiscoBots)
Team Role: College Student

Rookie Year: 2010
n1ckd2012 will become famous soon enoughn1ckd2012 will become famous soon enough

Excellent series! DiscoBots are going to copy you

Quick note: The light grey on white body text in the Scoring Analysis & Strategy Document is difficult to read. At least to my eyes.

Well done.
FRC 2012: Laser Dragon Film, Build Log Lone Star 3rd Seed Alliance
Vex 2012: Mini Dragon Film Math Division Finalists
FRC 2011: DiscoSlide Film, 118 Parody Lone Star Regional Finalists
  #4   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-30-2012, 10:04 PM
AKA: Aaron
FRC #1768 (Robo Chiefs)
Team Role: Mentor

Rookie Year: 2004
rocknthehawk is a splendid one to beholdrocknthehawk is a splendid one to beholdrocknthehawk is a splendid one to beholdrocknthehawk is a splendid one to beholdrocknthehawk is a splendid one to beholdrocknthehawk is a splendid one to beholdrocknthehawk is a splendid one to beholdrocknthehawk is a splendid one to behold

Wow, fantastic! Thanks for posting/compiling this. A bunch of great info and pictures.
  #5   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 05-01-2012, 02:39 PM
FRC #2846 (FireBears)

Rookie Year: 2008
topgun has a brilliant futuretopgun has a brilliant futuretopgun has a brilliant futuretopgun has a brilliant futuretopgun has a brilliant futuretopgun has a brilliant futuretopgun has a brilliant futuretopgun has a brilliant futuretopgun has a brilliant futuretopgun has a brilliant futuretopgun has a brilliant future

Great suggestions on the roller ends and the channels made from roughtop. I am always looking for ways to do things simpler and faster.

Some questions:
Could you have gone with a thinner sheet metal (.063 or .080)?
How did you handle picking up three balls? Did you have sensors in there to stop the lift until you picked up three balls? (I only saw one stage in the lift/elevator).
Did you actually use the hopper as intended with another robot dumping into your hopper?
What programming language did you use? CAN?
Did you have any issues with the lift motors at the bottom? (I always understood that you can't push a belt)

Thanks for the blog postings and all of the helpful tips.

#6   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 05-01-2012, 05:42 PM
simplicity is the key to victory
FRC #0558
Team Role: Engineer

jwfoss has a reputation beyond reputejwfoss has a reputation beyond reputejwfoss has a reputation beyond reputejwfoss has a reputation beyond reputejwfoss has a reputation beyond reputejwfoss has a reputation beyond reputejwfoss has a reputation beyond reputejwfoss has a reputation beyond reputejwfoss has a reputation beyond reputejwfoss has a reputation beyond reputejwfoss has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by n1ckd2012 View Post
Quick note: The light grey on white body text in the Scoring Analysis & Strategy Document is difficult to read. At least to my eyes.
Thanks, it appears that when you view the presentation in the embedded viewer the colors are off, if you download it, it is much easier to read

Questions below are answered in bold:
Quote:
Originally Posted by topgun View Post
Some questions:
Could you have gone with a thinner sheet metal (.063 or .080)?
Perhaps for the superstructure we could have gone thinner, we just went with what we knew worked previously for us
How did you handle picking up three balls?
We kept the hopper open when collecting
Did you have sensors in there to stop the lift until you picked up three balls? (I only saw one stage in the lift/elevator).
The sensor we used (located at the top) was to index the balls for consistent feed.
Did you actually use the hopper as intended with another robot dumping into your hopper?
The hopper was only used for other robots once during competition, however it did allow for human loading as well.
What programming language did you use?
Java
CAN?
At scrimmage and NYC we ran CAN, at CT we ran straight PWM
Did you have any issues with the lift motors at the bottom? (I always understood that you can't push a belt)
We never experienced any problems, our placement of the gearbox was to keep the weight as low as possible.
Thanks for the positive comments, if you have any other questions feel free to ask.
[2007-2010] FRC 0229 - Division By Zero
[2003-2006] FRC 0176 - Aces High
  #7   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 05-01-2012, 05:55 PM
4 Banners, 6 medals, 1 insane year!
AKA: Brendan Browne, Sensei, Mentuar
FRC #3467 (Windham Windup Robotics) 1519 (Alumni)

BrendanB has a reputation beyond reputeBrendanB has a reputation beyond reputeBrendanB has a reputation beyond reputeBrendanB has a reputation beyond reputeBrendanB has a reputation beyond reputeBrendanB has a reputation beyond reputeBrendanB has a reputation beyond reputeBrendanB has a reputation beyond reputeBrendanB has a reputation beyond reputeBrendanB has a reputation beyond reputeBrendanB has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to BrendanB

Justin,

Thank you for posting this you guys had a phenomenal robot this year, but I'm sure you guys know that! Some very interesting features in your robot this year under the hood I'm looking forward to Battlecry to check them out!

2013 Pine Tree Regional Champions with 2648 and 2386 + Engineering Excellence Award
2013 Archimedes Judges Award
2014 UNH District Champions with 58 & 4555 + Chairmans Award
2014 Northeastern District Champions with 125 & 5000 + Engineering Inspiration Award
2014 New England District Championship Engineering Inspiration Award
2014 Archimedes Division Champions with 2590, 1625, & 1477
  #8   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 05-01-2012, 07:01 PM
Work harder, do better.
AKA: Pinecone
FRC #2791 (Shaker Robotics) (EWCP)

Chris is me has a reputation beyond reputeChris is me has a reputation beyond reputeChris is me has a reputation beyond reputeChris is me has a reputation beyond reputeChris is me has a reputation beyond reputeChris is me has a reputation beyond reputeChris is me has a reputation beyond reputeChris is me has a reputation beyond reputeChris is me has a reputation beyond reputeChris is me has a reputation beyond reputeChris is me has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Chris is me

Quote:
Originally Posted by topgun View Post
With the belt wrapped around the axle, it's being pulled on one side and "pushed" on the other. Same as if it was at the top.

Awesome robot and awesome information. Thanks for sharing.
2013 WPI Regional #1 Seed / Delphi Excellence in Engineering / Finalists (with 20, 3182), BAE Motorola Quality
2012 BAE Imagery / Finalists (with 1519, 885), CT Xerox Creativity / Semifinalists (with 2168, 118)

Proud 1714 Alumnus (2009) - 2009 Minnesota 10,000 Lakes Regional Champions (with 2826, 2470)
2791 Build Season Photo Gallery - Look here for mechanism photos
My Robotics Blog (Updated April 11 2014)
  #9   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 05-15-2012, 09:56 AM
Currently teamless
no team
Team Role: Alumni

Akash Rastogi has a reputation beyond reputeAkash Rastogi has a reputation beyond reputeAkash Rastogi has a reputation beyond reputeAkash Rastogi has a reputation beyond reputeAkash Rastogi has a reputation beyond reputeAkash Rastogi has a reputation beyond reputeAkash Rastogi has a reputation beyond reputeAkash Rastogi has a reputation beyond reputeAkash Rastogi has a reputation beyond reputeAkash Rastogi has a reputation beyond reputeAkash Rastogi has a reputation beyond repute

Foss quick question; for the threaded inserts you used for the rollers, did you drill out the threads/broach and put an axle through or did you thread short axles/use shoulder bolts and loctite those into the threaded inserts and put them on bearings?

Alumni/Mentor FRC 11 - MORT | ['11-'12]: Co-Founder/Mentor FRC 3929 | ['06-'10]: Student FRC 11- MORT | ['08-'12]: Founder - EWCP

Last edited by Akash Rastogi : 05-15-2012 at 10:00 AM.
Closed Thread

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: