OCCRA
Go to Post Nothing worse than an intolerant field :D - JB987 [more]
Home
Go Back   Chief Delphi > Technical > Motors
CD-Events   CD-Media   CD-Spy   FRC-Spy  
portal register members calendar search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ rules

Closed Thread

#1   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-09-2002, 07:50 PM
None #0419 (Rambots)

Rookie Year: 1999
Anton Abaya has a spectacular aura aboutAnton Abaya has a spectacular aura aboutAnton Abaya has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via ICQ to Anton Abaya Send a message via AIM to Anton Abaya
4 Motor Drive Train! EEEEK!

I know some teams are attempting this, as they want to be able to pull these darn heavy goals. So I figured this thread my be of some use.

To those teams who have done 4 wheel drive in the past with drills and Fisher Price. Wanna post some designs?

Did you have the Drills and FPs in one transmission?
Did you gear down the Drills to 100rpm (FP's output rpm)?
Did you gear up the FPs from 100rpm to 300rpm (drill motor's rpm)?
Did you have problems with different RPMs between motors?

I figured I can easily gear down or up a motor to match a different one at no load. That's simple enough. But what happens when the load is increased on both motors? Will both motors spin at the same RPM still (will they decrease to the same RPM)? Or will one suddenly say, "Uhh, sorry big guy I cant handle all this torque, i'll just spin at 75rpm. I'm not a horse like you and can handle 100rpm at this torque level..."

Lastly, if a motor was running at 100rpm, and another was running at 110rpm -- and there's absolutely no other way to gear it down anymore mechanically, will this pose a problem? Should you adjust this electronically then?

-anton

ps. i wish i could borrow Joe J for a day. cough cough.
  #2   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-09-2002, 08:19 PM
#0329 (Nortel Networks "The Raid")

Lachuck894 is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to Lachuck894 Send a message via Yahoo to Lachuck894
Ok, I know I am NEW to this posting thing, but I do know a little bit.

Our team last year, attempted to do what you are talking about. I was told by my advisor what we did wrong, but I will let a senior member here tell you about that.
  #3   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-09-2002, 08:52 PM
None #0419 (Rambots)

Anton Abaya has a spectacular aura aboutAnton Abaya has a spectacular aura aboutAnton Abaya has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via ICQ to Anton Abaya Send a message via AIM to Anton Abaya
umm... yeah, i need to know more details about what you guys did. if you can get him to share any problems you may have experience, i'm sure it will help all the newbies attempting this.

-anton
  #4   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-09-2002, 08:59 PM
Unsung FIRST Hero
VEX Robotics Engineer
AKA: John Vielkind-Neun
FRC #0148 (Robowranglers)
Team Role: Engineer

Rookie Year: 2000
JVN has a reputation beyond reputeJVN has a reputation beyond reputeJVN has a reputation beyond reputeJVN has a reputation beyond reputeJVN has a reputation beyond reputeJVN has a reputation beyond reputeJVN has a reputation beyond reputeJVN has a reputation beyond reputeJVN has a reputation beyond reputeJVN has a reputation beyond reputeJVN has a reputation beyond repute
Thumbs up

Im very curious about this myself. I know my old team had all kinds of motor tricks, but now that I'm on my own out here I need to learn for myself. It would be VERY convenient to link some chalupas to our drills...
  #5   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-09-2002, 10:38 PM
FRC #0401

Rookie Year: 2001
ggoldman has much to be proud ofggoldman has much to be proud ofggoldman has much to be proud ofggoldman has much to be proud ofggoldman has much to be proud ofggoldman has much to be proud ofggoldman has much to be proud ofggoldman has much to be proud ofggoldman has much to be proud of
Send a message via AIM to ggoldman
Our team had an idea to gear the motors electronically...

We would have a flywheel on the output axle of each motor .
On the outer edge of the flywheel, we would put that special reflective tabe at set degree (15 maybe). Then we would set up the optical sensor to count rotations. We would then make a control loop to compensate for differences in rotation....But since they banned using hte tape on your robot, we can't do it anymore

#6   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-09-2002, 10:49 PM
Behold the Awesomeness!
AKA: Dan Richards
#0550 (BattleTech)
Team Role: College Student

Rookie Year: 2000
Dan 550 is on a distinguished road
You could use a pair of always-on LEDs mounted on the flywheels to build your timing light.
  #7   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-09-2002, 11:17 PM
Dancing through life...
FRC #0488 (Xbot)

Madison has a reputation beyond reputeMadison has a reputation beyond reputeMadison has a reputation beyond reputeMadison has a reputation beyond reputeMadison has a reputation beyond reputeMadison has a reputation beyond reputeMadison has a reputation beyond reputeMadison has a reputation beyond reputeMadison has a reputation beyond reputeMadison has a reputation beyond reputeMadison has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Madison
Anton, check out this photo -

http://www.chiefdelphi.com/forums/pi...rrow=4&trows=3

You can see how they coupled the two motors together. I don't know they're exact ratio, but they told me that they tried to match the peak power curve for each motor. I think it's something close to 3:1, though, if not that exactly.

Nobody from Sachem actively posts on CD, but I am pretty sure at least one person reads it. Maybe they'd be willing to chime in and share.

...down at the Ozdust!

Like a grand and miraculous spaceship, our planet has sailed through the universe of time. And for a brief moment, we have been among its many passengers.
  #8   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-09-2002, 11:36 PM
Mentor, coach, whatever--
FRC #0233 ("The Pink Team")
Team Role: Mentor

Rookie Year: 1996
Kit Gerhart has a reputation beyond reputeKit Gerhart has a reputation beyond reputeKit Gerhart has a reputation beyond reputeKit Gerhart has a reputation beyond reputeKit Gerhart has a reputation beyond reputeKit Gerhart has a reputation beyond reputeKit Gerhart has a reputation beyond reputeKit Gerhart has a reputation beyond reputeKit Gerhart has a reputation beyond reputeKit Gerhart has a reputation beyond reputeKit Gerhart has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Kit Gerhart
Last year--drill and F/P together

Last year we connected the drill and Fisher-Price motors end to end, ran the output of both through the drill gearbox, and drove our track drive from the output of the gearbox. While the no load rpm of the drill motor is higher than that of the F/P's, the difference is fairly small. We had them running at the same speed and it worked pretty well.

This year, I suspect that most of the four motor drive trains will use the drill motors and the new Chiphuas(sp).
There is a big rpm difference between the drill motors and the Chiphua's, ~20,000 vs ~5500 so the motors need to be geared separately to match rpm at the load point.
  #9   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-10-2002, 03:11 PM
FRC #2360 (POWERStorm)
Team Role: Photography

Rookie Year: 1997
smokescreen is on a distinguished road
trannys

Last year, we had the idea to mount the fisher price motor and drill motor onto the tranny and have them both spinning the second to final drive gear. However, we were told by our great tranny mentor that we couldn't put two motors on the same gear because they would burn each other up. I still doubt this claim.

However, why bother.

Three drill motors, three drive wheels. Other motors for spinning the three wheels. All (3) wheel drive, all wheel steer.

-smokescreen
  #10   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-10-2002, 07:24 PM

Kit Gerhart has a reputation beyond reputeKit Gerhart has a reputation beyond reputeKit Gerhart has a reputation beyond reputeKit Gerhart has a reputation beyond reputeKit Gerhart has a reputation beyond reputeKit Gerhart has a reputation beyond reputeKit Gerhart has a reputation beyond reputeKit Gerhart has a reputation beyond reputeKit Gerhart has a reputation beyond reputeKit Gerhart has a reputation beyond reputeKit Gerhart has a reputation beyond repute
Gear them to match speed--run in the correct direction

The drill motors are about 20,000 rpm no load and the FP's are about 15,000. Ideally, these motors should probably be geared to have their rpm in that proportion. They are close enough, though, that we had no problem with them running the same rpm. Just make sure they are connected to run in the correct direction to not 'fight' each other.
  #11   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-10-2002, 09:18 PM
Joe Johnson's Avatar Unsung FIRST Hero
Engineer at iRobot
AKA: Dr. Joe
FRC #0246 (Overclocked)

Joe Johnson has a reputation beyond reputeJoe Johnson has a reputation beyond reputeJoe Johnson has a reputation beyond reputeJoe Johnson has a reputation beyond reputeJoe Johnson has a reputation beyond reputeJoe Johnson has a reputation beyond reputeJoe Johnson has a reputation beyond reputeJoe Johnson has a reputation beyond reputeJoe Johnson has a reputation beyond reputeJoe Johnson has a reputation beyond reputeJoe Johnson has a reputation beyond repute
We have ahd this conversation before.

I will say it again: there is no magic in having 2 motors that are different inputting to the same gear.

The bottom line is that the speeds are required to be in some ratio that is fixed by the gearing. Assuming the same voltage to the motors, the motors then simply act like the SUM of the two motors.

The speeds are equal (or geared to a ratio) the torque out is like the sum of each motor at that speed.

One of the things that you have to keep in mind is that the speed torque curves are a line that extends into negative values.

If the speed of one motor is faster than the other can provide at the voltage provided, then it is providing negative torque -- that is, it is slowing down the other motor.

As to one motor burning up the other, this can happen if the speed are SO different that the driver motor is doing a lot of extra work to drive the other motor. In this case, the driven motor can also get hot because it is generating a lot of current that might be going back into the battery or it might be going to generate heat (more probable).

Joe J.
  #12   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-15-2002, 11:47 PM
#0422 (Mech Techs)

Jeremy Davis is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to Jeremy Davis
60 Amp Breaker

To anyone who has attempted 4 motor drive trains in the past:
How much trouble have you had with tripping the 60 amp breaker with all four motors in use? It seems to me that that could occur fairly regularly given 4 powerful motors all drawing current at the same time.
  #13   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-16-2002, 12:38 AM
Andy Baker's Avatar Woodie Flowers Award
President, AndyMark, Inc.
FRC #3940 (CyberTooth)

Rookie Year: 1998
Andy Baker has a reputation beyond reputeAndy Baker has a reputation beyond reputeAndy Baker has a reputation beyond reputeAndy Baker has a reputation beyond reputeAndy Baker has a reputation beyond reputeAndy Baker has a reputation beyond reputeAndy Baker has a reputation beyond reputeAndy Baker has a reputation beyond reputeAndy Baker has a reputation beyond reputeAndy Baker has a reputation beyond reputeAndy Baker has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Andy Baker
Almost never

We didn't find any problems with tripping the 60A breaker last year during normal operation on our 4 motor drive train.

The only times that it tripped was when we ran over the bridge too fast and landed with a thud. The breaker tripped due to the slam, not the overload.

Andy B.
  #14   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-16-2002, 08:45 AM

According to a post on another thread, at a load of 100 A, the breaker takes nearly two minutes to trip and takes 8 seconds at 200 A. We would need to have four motors with the 30 A breakers nearly tripping continuously for an entire match to trip the big breaker.
  #15   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-16-2002, 09:41 AM
#0175 (BUZZ Robotics)

Jim Morin is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Drill motor and FP combo

Seems like a lot of people have used the drill motor and FP motor combo. We used it last year and had no problems. We went to 2 regionals, Nationals, 4 post season tournaments and many demos, ie lots of use. I think replaced only one FP. We use the FP on the back of the drill motor but not in line. We use a 12 tooth gear on the drill and a 16 tooth on the FP. Since the tail end of the drill motor shaft is very short and the shafts are so small in diameter it requires EB welding. Also need to make a motor housing that hold both motors parallel and at the proper center distance (we can adjust the center distance). Since both motors are on the input side of the drill gearbox even if one burns out torgue to just turn a motor is nothing so you can atleast still move. We had good speed and lots of power. In practices we could easily pull a loaded stretcher and push loaded load over the bridge at the same time. 2002, a drill motor/chalupa combo?

Jim from BUZZ team 175
Closed Thread

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: