OCCRA
Go to Post Force yourself now, today, to learn one new thing each day. When you lay down on your fluffy pillow at night, before you say your prayers, ask yourself if you have learned anything new. If the answer is "NO" then you better get up and find something. - Al Skierkiewicz [more]
Home
Go Back   Chief Delphi > FIRST > Career
CD-Events   CD-Media   CD-Spy   FRC-Spy  
portal register members calendar search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ rules

#1   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-17-2003, 01:23 AM
School=Build Season YAY
AKA: Mary
#0294 (Beach Cities Robotics)
Team Role: Student

Rookie Year: 2003
Marygrace is just really niceMarygrace is just really niceMarygrace is just really niceMarygrace is just really niceMarygrace is just really nice
Send a message via AIM to Marygrace Send a message via Yahoo to Marygrace
Who doesn't want to be an engineer?

I always hear about people wanting to be engineers, and that that is what FIRST is promoting but, what if we don't. Personnally, i want to be an astronomer. I want to see what else people want to be besides an engineer.
  #2   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-17-2003, 01:49 AM
Political Junkie
AKA: Kerry Girl
#0691 (Hart Burn)
Team Role: Alumni

Rookie Year: 2001
Kristina has much to be proud ofKristina has much to be proud ofKristina has much to be proud ofKristina has much to be proud ofKristina has much to be proud ofKristina has much to be proud ofKristina has much to be proud ofKristina has much to be proud ofKristina has much to be proud ofKristina has much to be proud of
Send a message via AIM to Kristina
Sean330 linked me up to this thread because it's "totally my thread". And yes it is...

Right now I'm majoring in Political Science with an emphasis on International Relations or American Politics and maybe minor in public policy. That's what I love and I want to be a lawyer (no lawyer jokes, I already get them enough) or politics would be really cool too.

I think it's really important to bridge the gap between science and other subjects and FIRST did that for me. How are policy makers going to regulate technology if they don't have a basic understanding of it? How can judges ban certain scientific practices if they don't know what it is? They can't, science is everywhere and important. I think a lot of non-future-engineers get prejudiced in the FIRST program but its important for everyone to get a chance to be exposed. We're important too and bring a new perspective and gifts to each team. I know that I have such a great appreciation of science and technology through FIRST and have learned so many other applicable things for my future too.

AIM: Doanie8
  #3   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-17-2003, 01:51 AM
School=Build Season YAY

Marygrace is just really niceMarygrace is just really niceMarygrace is just really niceMarygrace is just really niceMarygrace is just really nice
I completely agree, like most of the scholarships offered are for if you want to be an engineer. What about the rest of us?
  #4   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-17-2003, 01:54 AM
SoCal Pride!!!!!!!!!!
#0330 (Beach Bot V 4.0)

Sean_330 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to Sean_330
I have no desire to be an engineer. I want to go to law school at Pepperdine and study law with an emphasis in criminal law Someday, I hope to become an assistant DA.

If I do not get into law school (or find no way to pay for it), I want to become a police officer, hopefully for the LAPD, and later get promoted to a detective.

However, I still love FIRST and all the wonderful work it does. At FIRST you learn about building teams and building robots is only a small part of that team.
2002/2003 Head Referee, SCRRF
2003 Referee, SV Regional
  #5   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-17-2003, 08:22 AM
Serial Volunteer
AKA: Ed Patterson
FRC #0191 (X-Cats)
Team Role: Mentor

Rookie Year: 2002
Koko Ed has a reputation beyond reputeKoko Ed has a reputation beyond reputeKoko Ed has a reputation beyond reputeKoko Ed has a reputation beyond reputeKoko Ed has a reputation beyond reputeKoko Ed has a reputation beyond reputeKoko Ed has a reputation beyond reputeKoko Ed has a reputation beyond reputeKoko Ed has a reputation beyond reputeKoko Ed has a reputation beyond reputeKoko Ed has a reputation beyond repute
I still want to be an animator or a graphic designer and I am going to school for just that purpose in spite of my age.
  #6   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-17-2003, 12:02 PM
School=Build Season YAY

Who doesn't want to be an engineer?

I always here about people wanting to be Engineers and FIRST always supports engineers but what if we don't want to be one? I personally want to be an astronomer. Does anyone else in FIRST no want to be an engineer?
  #7   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-17-2003, 12:09 PM
FIRST-a-holic Strategist
#1011 (CRUSH)

WakeZero will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to WakeZero Send a message via Yahoo to WakeZero
Although FIRST does inspire engineers, what FIRST actually does best is inspiring students to realize they can do whatever they set their minds to. Be an astronomer if that is what is truly in your heart
2003 Arizona Regional -- Rookie All-Star Award
2003 Arizona Regional -- Quarterfinalist

Alumni on Team 64, The Gila Monsters
College Mentor/Founder of Team 1011, CRUSH
  #8   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-17-2003, 12:16 PM
FIRST Lifer
FRC #2826 (Wave Robotics)

Rookie Year: 2001
Tyler Olds has a reputation beyond reputeTyler Olds has a reputation beyond reputeTyler Olds has a reputation beyond reputeTyler Olds has a reputation beyond reputeTyler Olds has a reputation beyond reputeTyler Olds has a reputation beyond reputeTyler Olds has a reputation beyond reputeTyler Olds has a reputation beyond reputeTyler Olds has a reputation beyond reputeTyler Olds has a reputation beyond reputeTyler Olds has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Tyler Olds Send a message via Yahoo to Tyler Olds
I personally would like to be a digital animator. However engineering is always a good back up plan.

FIRST Senior Mentor - Wisconsin
Please note that my opinions expressed here do not necessarily reflect the opinion of FIRST or its employees.
  #9   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-17-2003, 12:34 PM
Soudeska?

Chris Nowak is an unknown quantity at this point
How about this: I have absolutely no clue what I am going to do.

Team 74 - Top Seeded Team in Galileo Division
  #10   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-17-2003, 12:53 PM
Adam Y.
no team (?????)

Adam Y. is a splendid one to beholdAdam Y. is a splendid one to beholdAdam Y. is a splendid one to beholdAdam Y. is a splendid one to beholdAdam Y. is a splendid one to beholdAdam Y. is a splendid one to beholdAdam Y. is a splendid one to behold
Send a message via AIM to Adam Y.
Quote:
How about this: I have absolutely no clue what I am going to do.
Lol all I know is that I want to become an engineer. Beyond that I really do not know what type.
If either a public officer or any one else saw a person attempting to cross a bridge which had been ascertained to be unsafe, and there were no time to warn him of his danger, they might seize him and turn him back without any real infringement of his liberty; for liberty consists in doing what one desires, and he does not desire to fall into the river. -Mill
  #11   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-17-2003, 01:01 PM
Adam Y.
no team (?????)

Adam Y. is a splendid one to beholdAdam Y. is a splendid one to beholdAdam Y. is a splendid one to beholdAdam Y. is a splendid one to beholdAdam Y. is a splendid one to beholdAdam Y. is a splendid one to beholdAdam Y. is a splendid one to behold
Send a message via AIM to Adam Y.
Quote:
I think it's really important to bridge the gap between science and other subjects and FIRST did that for me. How are policy makers going to regulate technology if they don't have a basic understanding of it? How can judges ban certain scientific practices if they don't know what it is? They can't, science is everywhere and important. I think a lot of non-future-engineers get prejudiced in the FIRST program but its important for everyone to get a chance to be exposed. We're important too and bring a new perspective and gifts to each team. I know that I have such a great appreciation of science and technology through FIRST and have learned so many other applicable things for my future too.
I know I remeber someone talking about this before on television. I think it was a former astronaut that said how important it is for politicians to be informed about science and technology. I think he is in the house or senate. I really do not remeber.
If either a public officer or any one else saw a person attempting to cross a bridge which had been ascertained to be unsafe, and there were no time to warn him of his danger, they might seize him and turn him back without any real infringement of his liberty; for liberty consists in doing what one desires, and he does not desire to fall into the river. -Mill
  #12   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-17-2003, 01:29 PM
Amanda Morrison's Avatar Unsung FIRST Hero
the stars at night are big & bright
FRC #0148 (Robowranglers)
Team Role: Marketing

Rookie Year: 2002
Amanda Morrison has a reputation beyond reputeAmanda Morrison has a reputation beyond reputeAmanda Morrison has a reputation beyond reputeAmanda Morrison has a reputation beyond reputeAmanda Morrison has a reputation beyond reputeAmanda Morrison has a reputation beyond reputeAmanda Morrison has a reputation beyond reputeAmanda Morrison has a reputation beyond reputeAmanda Morrison has a reputation beyond reputeAmanda Morrison has a reputation beyond reputeAmanda Morrison has a reputation beyond repute
I was talking with Ken Leung about this a couple nights ago, so here's my thoughts.

I don't like building robots. That being said...

Once I got into FIRST, I realized that not only do I have no technical skills but also no desire to go into engineering, science, mathematics, technology, or teaching. On my first FIRST team, I didn't touch the robot save for tightening a screw (even that's iffy). That was my choice, though - at any moment I could have gotten involved, I just chose not to. I'm attending Ball State University, which has no offered engineering program, and my major is English (focus on Rhetoric and Composition, not teaching).

Even though since I've come to college I've helped start another team, it's kind of ridiculous for someone with this much against them to be in this program. As a mentor, a lot of times I come home feeling discouraged because I can't effectively mentor kids in engineering. Ask me to grade a paper or proofread the Chairman's Award, and I'm on it. Ask me for an adjustable Allen wrench (as my mischevious kids did), and I'm lost. Of course, though, the majority of kids that you have on your team are interested in engineering, programming, etc... and so at times you are a little lost.

I know there are other people out there (more students than mentors, though) who feel the same way I do. Although FIRST is a program for engineering and related fields, other areas of study sometimes get the shaft. That's okay, though. There's nothing that says because I am an English major that I can't start another FIRST team.

FIRST is an excellent program, and I'm still looking to start new teams to enthuse more kids. The fact of the matter comes down to this: No matter what you are interested in, you can always encourage others.

Last edited by Amanda Morrison : 04-17-2003 at 01:32 PM.
  #13   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-17-2003, 02:03 PM
no team
Team Role: Engineer

KenWittlief has a reputation beyond reputeKenWittlief has a reputation beyond reputeKenWittlief has a reputation beyond reputeKenWittlief has a reputation beyond reputeKenWittlief has a reputation beyond reputeKenWittlief has a reputation beyond reputeKenWittlief has a reputation beyond reputeKenWittlief has a reputation beyond reputeKenWittlief has a reputation beyond reputeKenWittlief has a reputation beyond reputeKenWittlief has a reputation beyond repute
engineering?!

FIRST promotes science and technology - which is very broad and covers many fields.

Personally, when I grow up I wanna be a cowboy

or a FireTruck!

:c)
  #14   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-17-2003, 02:07 PM
AKA: Shane
no team

Rookie Year: 1998
BionicAlumni is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to BionicAlumni
Quote:
Originally posted by amandabean

Ask me for an adjustable Allen wrench (as my mischevious kids did), and I'm lost.
LMAO

thats a sig file WAITING to happen.
  #15   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-17-2003, 02:07 PM
Door Opener Mint Mentor
AKA: Cheryl Miller

Redhead Jokes is a glorious beacon of lightRedhead Jokes is a glorious beacon of lightRedhead Jokes is a glorious beacon of lightRedhead Jokes is a glorious beacon of lightRedhead Jokes is a glorious beacon of light
Quote:
Originally posted by Koko Ed
in spite of my age.
*curious*

Having experienced multiple chapters in my life already.
motto: Two Rival Schools, One Team...ride the Tide.
2004 So Cal Chairman's Award, Phoenix Regional DaimlerChrysler Team Spirit Award
2003 So Cal Regional Finalist and Sportsmanship Award, Phoenix Regional Engineering Inspiration Award
2001 So Cal Regional and National Champions, Regional Image Award
Gracious Professionalism Poster
Mint: To invent; to forge; to fabricate; to fashion. Mentor: a wise and trusted guide and advisor.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: