OCCRA
Go to Post I love robotics, it has a spot for every kinda future career a student chooses. - Bharat Nain [more]
Home
Go Back   Chief Delphi > Technical > IT / Communications > Website Design/Showcase
CD-Events   CD-Media   CD-Spy   FRC-Spy  
portal register members calendar search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ rules

Closed Thread

#1   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 08-13-2004, 06:36 PM
KathieK's Avatar Unsung FIRST Hero
Sometimes FIRST makes my head hurt!
AKA: FIRST Senior Mentor
no team

Rookie Year: 2002
KathieK has a reputation beyond reputeKathieK has a reputation beyond reputeKathieK has a reputation beyond reputeKathieK has a reputation beyond reputeKathieK has a reputation beyond reputeKathieK has a reputation beyond reputeKathieK has a reputation beyond reputeKathieK has a reputation beyond reputeKathieK has a reputation beyond reputeKathieK has a reputation beyond reputeKathieK has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to KathieK
Print a different page than current page?

I have an html page describing an event we will be holding, "description.html". I have a Word document (which I can convert to PDF or html format) which is the registration form for the event.

I would like to create a link at the bottom of "description.html" that says, "Click here to print the registration form." I want the viewer to be able to click on the link and have the registration form automatically go to the printer, without having to open it first.

I found a javascript that will print a different page than the current page, but only if you go to FILE, PRINT in the browser. I would really like to do it with a link or a button.

I was told you can accomplish this with the use of framesets, but I couldn't get it to work right.

Can anyone help?
  #2   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 08-14-2004, 01:33 AM
FIRST's Spare, Queuer & Tech guy =)
AKA: Mike M. / Mouse =)
no team (FRC Volunteer)
Team Role: Alumni

Rookie Year: 2001
mtaman02 has a brilliant futuremtaman02 has a brilliant futuremtaman02 has a brilliant futuremtaman02 has a brilliant futuremtaman02 has a brilliant futuremtaman02 has a brilliant futuremtaman02 has a brilliant futuremtaman02 has a brilliant futuremtaman02 has a brilliant futuremtaman02 has a brilliant futuremtaman02 has a brilliant future
Send a message via AIM to mtaman02 Send a message via Yahoo to mtaman02
Re: Print a different page than current page?

u want it to go strait to the printer?

I know that if u put a link on description.html to the form ure placing there as well it will ask u to save or open it. from either or both u can then open and print the page

as for making it go straight to the printer i'm not sure maybe IM brandon and maybe he can assist
FRC: NYC Remote Kickoff '04 & NYC Regionals '04-'07 ,'10-'13 & NJ Regionals '06-'10, Finger Lakes Regional '09 & SBPLI Regional '08-'13 and the World Championship in '05 (Galileo Field) '07 (Newton Field) '09 (Practice Fields Attendant / FTA(A)), CeBIT Convention in '04 & NextFEST in '06 both held @ the Javitts Center, Monty Madness '07-'10, Panda-monium '08, B.Eruption '08 & '09, Ramp Riot '08, PARC '09 & '10, BR^2 '09 & Wol. Inv. '09 -'12
2013 FIRST Robotics Off Season Events that I hope to volunteer at:
Where is Wolcott Invitational
2013 FIRST Robotics Events that I will be volunteering at:
SBPLI Reg.
Volunteer Resume:
Alt & Lead Team Queuer, Field Repair/Reset, Field Setup/Breakdown, Spare Parts Attendant, Field Power Controller/Score Keeper, Co-Emcee & Official Scorer, Control System Advisor, FIRST Tech Advisor Assistant & recently Practice Field Attendant.
  #3   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 08-14-2004, 01:35 AM
AKA: Grant Harding
#0084 (WATTNESS (bot: Chuck))
Team Role: Alumni

evulish is just really niceevulish is just really niceevulish is just really niceevulish is just really nice
Send a message via AIM to evulish

You want this button to automatically send the page to the printer without loading on the screen? As far as I know, that's not possible. And I wouldn't really recommend it if it is. It's nice to see what you're printing before-hand to see what it is, how long it is, etc. I'd either go with a PDF or an HTML file for an online doc. I'm a bit opposed to using the MS Word format on a website since not everyone has Word and the formating of the page is more like to be off than with HTML or a PDF.
I'm a professional web developer. I'm good with PHP, Perl, Java/JSP, some RoR, XML, Javascript (AJAX as well), (x)HTML, CSS, etc.. Validated code is good; fully cross-browser code is better (you comply to your users and the software they use, not the other way around. Sorry!)
  #4   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 08-14-2004, 05:30 AM
FRC #0237

Rookie Year: 2003
JohnBoucher has a reputation beyond reputeJohnBoucher has a reputation beyond reputeJohnBoucher has a reputation beyond reputeJohnBoucher has a reputation beyond reputeJohnBoucher has a reputation beyond reputeJohnBoucher has a reputation beyond reputeJohnBoucher has a reputation beyond reputeJohnBoucher has a reputation beyond reputeJohnBoucher has a reputation beyond reputeJohnBoucher has a reputation beyond reputeJohnBoucher has a reputation beyond repute

I found this at HtmlGoodies.
It doesn't do exactly what you want, but it does show an onload command that might work for you.
Quote:
And, if you really want to be annoying, off of just about any Event Handler like this, adding onLoad will force a print request when the page loads:

onLoad="window.print()"
  #5   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 08-14-2004, 05:20 PM
no team

KathieK has a reputation beyond reputeKathieK has a reputation beyond reputeKathieK has a reputation beyond reputeKathieK has a reputation beyond reputeKathieK has a reputation beyond reputeKathieK has a reputation beyond reputeKathieK has a reputation beyond reputeKathieK has a reputation beyond reputeKathieK has a reputation beyond reputeKathieK has a reputation beyond reputeKathieK has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for your suggestions. I agree about the Word document; we normally do not post docs in that format.
  #6   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 08-19-2004, 07:40 AM
This Space For Sale
AKA: Anthony Mangia
#1257 (Parallel Universe)
Team Role: Scout

Aignam has a brilliant futureAignam has a brilliant futureAignam has a brilliant futureAignam has a brilliant futureAignam has a brilliant futureAignam has a brilliant futureAignam has a brilliant futureAignam has a brilliant futureAignam has a brilliant futureAignam has a brilliant futureAignam has a brilliant future
Send a message via AIM to Aignam Send a message via Yahoo to Aignam

Will this help you at all?
http://www.dynamicdrive.com/dynamici...printstyle.htm

Aignam. Pronounced A-Num. Mangia backwards.

NJFIRST.org | Best Thread. Ever.

AIM: Aignam | ICQ: 265237569 | E-mail: AnthonyMangia@aol.com | HTTP: www.aignam.com
  #7   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 08-24-2004, 07:25 PM
no team

I figured out how to do it.

In the current document, in the HEAD tag, type the following code (where href= refers to the different page you want to print without loading to the screen first):

<link rel="alternate" media="print" href="different_page.html" />

<script>
function printWindow(){
bV = parseInt(navigator.appVersion)
if (bV >= 4) window.print()
}
</script>

and then in the BODY of the current document type:

<a href="javascriptrintWindow()">Print The Different Page</a>

(I wanted a link to print and not a print button).

I know this won't work for every browser, but it will work for my purposes. Thanks to everyone who replied with suggestions!
  #8   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 08-24-2004, 07:26 PM
no team

LOL, OK, I have no idea how to get that smiley face outta the code! But you can figure out what I meant!
  #9   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 08-24-2004, 08:10 PM
Eric Rowe
FRC #1097 (Site 3 Engineering)
Team Role: College Student

rowe has a spectacular aura aboutrowe has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via AIM to rowe Send a message via MSN to rowe Send a message via Yahoo to rowe

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathieK
LOL, OK, I have no idea how to get that smiley face outta the code! But you can figure out what I meant!
use the [ code][/ code] (spaces added so it wouldn't actaully do it)

if you want to add another line in your code you can have it so theres a link to the page you want printed if the browser doesnt support it.

it being this:
Code:
<link rel="alternate" media="print" href="different_page.html" />

<script type="text/javascript">
function printWindow(){
bV = parseInt(navigator.appVersion)
if (bV >= 4) {
  window.print()
}
else {
  window.location="different_page.html";
}
</script>

<a href="javascript:printWindow()">Print The Different Page</a>
think that should work, you might have to debug but thats the general idea
2005 Silicon Valley Regional Sportsmanship Award
2005 Sacramento Regional Finalists
2005 Sacramento Regional Sportsmanship Award
2004 Silicon Valley Regional Sportsmanship Award
2004 Sacramento Regional Visualization Award
2004 Sacramento Regional Engineering Inspiration Award
  #10   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 08-24-2004, 08:11 PM
Go Bears!
FRC #1110 (Binary Bulldogs)
Team Role: College Student

Joshua May has a reputation beyond reputeJoshua May has a reputation beyond reputeJoshua May has a reputation beyond reputeJoshua May has a reputation beyond reputeJoshua May has a reputation beyond reputeJoshua May has a reputation beyond reputeJoshua May has a reputation beyond reputeJoshua May has a reputation beyond reputeJoshua May has a reputation beyond reputeJoshua May has a reputation beyond reputeJoshua May has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Joshua May

I think that this should work, but I haven't tested it:

Code:
<a onClick="window.print(http://www.domain.com/pagetoprint.html)">

2005 Las Vegas Regional Autodesk Visualization Award
2005 Las Vegas Regional #8 Seeded Alliance with 988 and 1505
2006 Southern California Regional #15 seed
Closed Thread

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: