OCCRA
Go to Post If FIRST makes a field invisible to the audience, I will buy every team a dozen Krispy Kremes. - Chris is me [more]
Home
Go Back   Chief Delphi > Technical > Programming
CD-Events   CD-Media   CD-Spy   FRC-Spy  
portal register members calendar search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ rules

Closed Thread

#1   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-08-2005, 10:07 AM
Spud Gun Division
AKA: Leav Oz-Ari
FRC #3316 (D-Bug) & FRC #2630 (ThunderBolts)
Team Role: Mentor

Rookie Year: 2005
Leav has a reputation beyond reputeLeav has a reputation beyond reputeLeav has a reputation beyond reputeLeav has a reputation beyond reputeLeav has a reputation beyond reputeLeav has a reputation beyond reputeLeav has a reputation beyond reputeLeav has a reputation beyond reputeLeav has a reputation beyond reputeLeav has a reputation beyond reputeLeav has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via ICQ to Leav Send a message via AIM to Leav Send a message via MSN to Leav Send a message via Skype™ to Leav
What do you think about how easy theyre making programming?

arn't they making it too easy?

theyre practicly handing us the code.

oh wait... they are handing us the code!

i dont like this, but i might not see the whole picture yet...

-Leav
  #2   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-08-2005, 10:10 AM
I write code
AKA: slenk
FRC #0107 (Team R.O.B.O.T.I.C.S.)
Team Role: Webmaster

Rookie Year: 2002
107Dexter is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to 107Dexter Send a message via MSN to 107Dexter
Re: What do you think about how easy theyre making programming?

Making your own wheel turn counters and all your own encoders and suff is half the fun. Heck we were excllent with our programming last year. But now all you have to do is say left pi over 2 radians. This is sersiouly gonna be too easy.
  #3   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-08-2005, 10:11 AM
Animator/Website/Programmer
AKA: Jared S.
#0107 (Team R.O.B.O.T.I.C.S.)

107phoeNIX can only hope to improve

Well, I think they are handing us code because my thougts are that the game is going to need a lot of mechanical work because they are almost handing us all the needed code.
  #4   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-08-2005, 10:11 AM

kevinw is a name known to allkevinw is a name known to allkevinw is a name known to allkevinw is a name known to allkevinw is a name known to allkevinw is a name known to all

We had a scripting language that worked exactly like that last year. It took us a few weeks to refine it, but it worked nicely. I think everyone will be happy with the simplicity this allows - except those of us that developed it independently (once we finished the graphical interface, we would've made it more public anyway)
  #5   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-08-2005, 10:13 AM
Animator/Website/Programmer
AKA: Jared S.
#0107 (Team R.O.B.O.T.I.C.S.)

107phoeNIX can only hope to improve

I think thats what we may try this year... a graphical setup...
  #6   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-08-2005, 10:12 AM
I named Greg Needel's cat!
AKA: Dave DeLong
no team (Rhode Warriors)
Team Role: Alumni

Rookie Year: 2004
MrToast has much to be proud ofMrToast has much to be proud ofMrToast has much to be proud ofMrToast has much to be proud ofMrToast has much to be proud ofMrToast has much to be proud ofMrToast has much to be proud ofMrToast has much to be proud of
Send a message via AIM to MrToast

Correct me if I'm wrong, but that's the impression most of us got last year about the IR sensors and other small electronics. However, it turned out that IR was one of the least used features of the Kit because they were a pain in the butt to successfully code, especially when the math capabilities of the controller were less than stellar.

The scripting language will mean that MANY more teams will use the sensors instead of doing something like dead reckoning.

I for one welcome our new scripting overlords.

Dave
(#121, 2004) Archimedes semi-finalists with 237 and 386! I had an awesome time guys, and thanks for the hat!
(#121, 2004) BC5 semi-finalists with 190 and 1027! Awesome time! We went further than I thought we could! Thanks for all your help w/ our transmission!
(#121, 2005) Galileo quarter-finalists with 47 and 203! Thanks for all your support through the stress!
------------------------------
If it moves and it shouldn't, use duct tape.
If it doesn't move and it should, use WD-40
"It'll all work out in the end, and if it doesn't, it's not the end." - Jeff Bullock
  #7   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-08-2005, 10:14 AM
I write code

It will help us with some aspects of the programming yes but this will allow everyone to have an autonomous mode. Which can be good for rookie teams but still, making your own language is half the fun
  #8   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-08-2005, 10:44 AM
Finally An Engineer
FRC #3280
Team Role: Engineer

Rookie Year: 2005
JamesBrown has a reputation beyond reputeJamesBrown has a reputation beyond reputeJamesBrown has a reputation beyond reputeJamesBrown has a reputation beyond reputeJamesBrown has a reputation beyond reputeJamesBrown has a reputation beyond reputeJamesBrown has a reputation beyond reputeJamesBrown has a reputation beyond reputeJamesBrown has a reputation beyond reputeJamesBrown has a reputation beyond reputeJamesBrown has a reputation beyond repute

This is going to make the basic programming very simple but I also allows teams to do alot more than before. Personally I am looking forward to seeing exactly how far we can push it. Also those of you who are good at programming can extend the ability of the scripting software so you can use it in years to come.
  #9   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-08-2005, 10:53 AM
AKA: lead genius for animation team
#0348 (Norwell Robotics)
Team Role: Programmer

jaivas is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to jaivas

I can't say that I mind too much, what with me being the most experienced programmer on the team, other than two of the mentors, and not being an expert on it myself. I think that with this, we won't have to worry so much about how to make the program work, but what we want it to do. But of course, if you like a challenge, I suppose you could just write all the scripts yourself.
  #10   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-08-2005, 10:54 AM
I write code

Yes programing abilities will be greatly extended...might be intersting, might be newbish

Audioscrobbler iTunesRegistry.com: 2,230 tracks, 4.130 diversity
  #11   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-08-2005, 10:55 AM
I named Greg Needel's cat!
AKA: Dave DeLong
no team (Rhode Warriors)

Rookie Year: 2004
MrToast has much to be proud ofMrToast has much to be proud ofMrToast has much to be proud ofMrToast has much to be proud ofMrToast has much to be proud ofMrToast has much to be proud ofMrToast has much to be proud ofMrToast has much to be proud of
Send a message via AIM to MrToast

I think I found the software page:

http://www.usfirst.org/robotics/C_help.htm

Dave
(#121, 2004) Archimedes semi-finalists with 237 and 386! I had an awesome time guys, and thanks for the hat!
(#121, 2004) BC5 semi-finalists with 190 and 1027! Awesome time! We went further than I thought we could! Thanks for all your help w/ our transmission!
(#121, 2005) Galileo quarter-finalists with 47 and 203! Thanks for all your support through the stress!
If it moves and it shouldn't, use duct tape.
If it doesn't move and it should, use WD-40
"It'll all work out in the end, and if it doesn't, it's not the end." - Jeff Bullock
  #12   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-08-2005, 10:56 AM
Superpower: Knows Everyone
AKA: Sara Reffler
FRC #1089 (Team Mercury)
Team Role: Mentor

Rookie Year: 1999
BandChick has a reputation beyond reputeBandChick has a reputation beyond reputeBandChick has a reputation beyond reputeBandChick has a reputation beyond reputeBandChick has a reputation beyond reputeBandChick has a reputation beyond reputeBandChick has a reputation beyond reputeBandChick has a reputation beyond reputeBandChick has a reputation beyond reputeBandChick has a reputation beyond reputeBandChick has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to BandChick Send a message via Skype™ to BandChick

I like it. It gives you more time to come up with complex situations rather than spending a week figuring out mathematical complexities. Plus, you can worry less now about whether or not your robot ACTUALLY drives perfectly straight. It also makes life easier for the rookie teams that may not have the knowledge they need for previous FIRST programming. And, like Dave said, it let's teams mingle, trade, and combine code for an even more astounding autonomous period!

I remember watching 67 last year at Nationals and wanting to know how they wrote all their coding. This enables the students that don't REALLY speak programming to understand everything that's going on. In essence, it gives everyone the ability to be a programmer.

Get your 2014 Championship userbars here!

1089 Mentor | 2014 MAR Championship Finalists
2014 Bridgewater District Finalists, 2014 Excellence in Engineering Award, 2014 Xerox Creativity Award

2013 Lenape District Finalists | 2009, 2011, 2013 KCP&B Entrepreneurship Award Winners | 2012 Gracious Professionalism Award Winners
2011 NJ Regional Finalists | 2009 NJ Regional Chairman's Award Winners

"Success in life is a matter not so much of talent or opportunity as of concentration and perseverance." C.W. Wendte
  #13   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-08-2005, 11:04 AM
None #0116

seanwitte has a brilliant futureseanwitte has a brilliant futureseanwitte has a brilliant futureseanwitte has a brilliant futureseanwitte has a brilliant futureseanwitte has a brilliant futureseanwitte has a brilliant futureseanwitte has a brilliant futureseanwitte has a brilliant futureseanwitte has a brilliant futureseanwitte has a brilliant future
Send a message via AIM to seanwitte

This is real life. Nobody is going to pay you to write something thats already been done a hundred times. The challenge is to take all of this pre-existing code and do something useful with it. Believe me, I understand what you're saying. Do you honestly think that NASA could have put those rovers on Mars if they wrote everything from scratch? Take what they give you, study it, and extend it. Its great to want to do it yourself, but while you're coding and testing your math library in week three you could be refining some mind blowing autonomous code.
  #14   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-08-2005, 11:23 AM
Custom User Title
FRC #0254 (The Cheesy Poofs)

Rookie Year: 2003
Tom Bottiglieri has a reputation beyond reputeTom Bottiglieri has a reputation beyond reputeTom Bottiglieri has a reputation beyond reputeTom Bottiglieri has a reputation beyond reputeTom Bottiglieri has a reputation beyond reputeTom Bottiglieri has a reputation beyond reputeTom Bottiglieri has a reputation beyond reputeTom Bottiglieri has a reputation beyond reputeTom Bottiglieri has a reputation beyond reputeTom Bottiglieri has a reputation beyond reputeTom Bottiglieri has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Tom Bottiglieri

Guys, you havent even seen the new software. Wait until your kits get in, and try out the (new?) IDE.

All I have to say is.. new program stuff is frickin sweet.

Team 254 | San Jose, CA | Mentor (2010 - Present)
Team 125 | Boston, MA | College Student (2007 - 2011)
Team 195 | Southington, CT | Student (2002 - 2006)
  #15   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-08-2005, 12:04 PM
meow.
AKA: Karen
None #0433 (Firebirds)

Rookie Year: 2000
karinka13 has a reputation beyond reputekarinka13 has a reputation beyond reputekarinka13 has a reputation beyond reputekarinka13 has a reputation beyond reputekarinka13 has a reputation beyond reputekarinka13 has a reputation beyond reputekarinka13 has a reputation beyond reputekarinka13 has a reputation beyond reputekarinka13 has a reputation beyond reputekarinka13 has a reputation beyond reputekarinka13 has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to karinka13

I think they're giving us a hand with the programming because this is a strategy-based game. The robots and the programming don't need to be all that complicated, but with six robots and only two minutes, strategy is everything.

Evil and Smart?
Fear it. Embrace it.

433 *love*

Closed Thread

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: