OCCRA
Go to Post I am a geek and proud of it. - +()c|D [more]
Home
Go Back   Chief Delphi > Technical > Control System
CD-Events   CD-Media   CD-Spy   FRC-Spy  
portal register members calendar search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ rules

Closed Thread

#1   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-20-2005, 10:17 AM

team1307 is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to team1307
USB Joystick to DB15

I have a nice set of USB joysticks that I would like to use. The problem i'm having is finding a converter that is USB to DB15. I found plans online that should let me do the conversion it it was usb to DB9 but that doesnt help too much. http://www.lennard.net.nz/electronics/usbtors232.html

I'm not sure It would work because of the voltage problem. I also would like to know if drivers would be an issue. This mod requires drivers, but i'm not sure if that would matter during integration with the robot controller. Has anyone tried this before? Did it work?

Remember, I'm trying to convert a USB Joystick to a DB15 joystick.

Thanks a lot and see you at the comp.

Last edited by team1307 : 01-20-2005 at 10:39 AM. Reason: better title
  #2   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-20-2005, 10:38 AM
54... What a good number!
no team

Rookie Year: 2000
dez250 has a reputation beyond reputedez250 has a reputation beyond reputedez250 has a reputation beyond reputedez250 has a reputation beyond reputedez250 has a reputation beyond reputedez250 has a reputation beyond reputedez250 has a reputation beyond reputedez250 has a reputation beyond reputedez250 has a reputation beyond reputedez250 has a reputation beyond reputedez250 has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to dez250
Re: USB Joystick to RS232(DB9)

Please see the discussion in the following thread, more so please see posts 9 and 11 in the thread as you will see some issues with trying to use a usb device with the O/I and RC.

http://www.chiefdelphi.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=31057

-Michael Dessingue
  #3   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-20-2005, 10:40 AM
FRC #0190

BrianBSL has much to be proud ofBrianBSL has much to be proud ofBrianBSL has much to be proud ofBrianBSL has much to be proud ofBrianBSL has much to be proud ofBrianBSL has much to be proud ofBrianBSL has much to be proud ofBrianBSL has much to be proud ofBrianBSL has much to be proud ofBrianBSL has much to be proud of
Re: USB Joystick to RS232(DB9)

That goes the other way - lets you use a USB "host" port as a serial port. Also, you dont want serial output (there are some Joysticks taht do serallel (a sorta serial/parallel combo) over the gameport, they do not work with the OI), you want analog and digital outputs in "flightsick compatable" form. The only way to do this would be to use your own microprocessor that had a usb interface (there are some microchip PIC chips that can use USB) and write some custom code to convert it and then output it using the internal DAC and digital outs. It would be quite a project, probally better for the offseason.\

What you want is something that lets you use a usb "guest/client" port and outputs "flightsick compatabile gameport" form. I doubt one exists, but let us know if you find one.
  #4   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-20-2005, 11:40 AM

team1307 is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to team1307
Re: USB Joystick to DB15

This might be a stupid question but wouldnt it work if we found some way to convert db9 to db15? I know that 6 pins would have to be unused.. Is it a data collision problem?
  #5   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-20-2005, 12:16 PM
FRC #0469
Team Role: Engineer

Rookie Year: 2003
Don Wright has a reputation beyond reputeDon Wright has a reputation beyond reputeDon Wright has a reputation beyond reputeDon Wright has a reputation beyond reputeDon Wright has a reputation beyond reputeDon Wright has a reputation beyond reputeDon Wright has a reputation beyond reputeDon Wright has a reputation beyond reputeDon Wright has a reputation beyond reputeDon Wright has a reputation beyond reputeDon Wright has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via MSN to Don Wright Send a message via Yahoo to Don Wright

Quote:
Originally Posted by team1307
This might be a stupid question but wouldnt it work if we found some way to convert db9 to db15? I know that 6 pins would have to be unused.. Is it a data collision problem?
There is no data to collide. The OI just uses the raw measurement from the joystick pots so it needs a 0-100K "signal". Most of the newer joysticks/pads uses an interpreter between these raw signals and the computer to convert them into RS232 or USB protocol.

Other than taking your joystick apart, disconnecting the joystick potsfrom the circuit board, meauring them to make sure they are 0-100K linear pots, and then rewiring them, you won't be able to use them.
  #6   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-20-2005, 12:18 PM
FRC #0190

BrianBSL has much to be proud ofBrianBSL has much to be proud ofBrianBSL has much to be proud ofBrianBSL has much to be proud ofBrianBSL has much to be proud ofBrianBSL has much to be proud ofBrianBSL has much to be proud ofBrianBSL has much to be proud ofBrianBSL has much to be proud ofBrianBSL has much to be proud of

Most joysticks these days use some optical sensing technology instead of pots. Note if it has trim's or not, chances are if it doenst have trim's, it doenst use pots, it just checks for change, it could care less about absolute posistion.
  #7   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-21-2005, 08:52 AM
{Error Processing Custom Title}
AKA: oneangrydwarf/jtosh
no team (old school gangsta)
Team Role: Alumni

Josh Hambright has a reputation beyond reputeJosh Hambright has a reputation beyond reputeJosh Hambright has a reputation beyond reputeJosh Hambright has a reputation beyond reputeJosh Hambright has a reputation beyond reputeJosh Hambright has a reputation beyond reputeJosh Hambright has a reputation beyond reputeJosh Hambright has a reputation beyond reputeJosh Hambright has a reputation beyond reputeJosh Hambright has a reputation beyond reputeJosh Hambright has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Josh Hambright

One option to keep in mind, is to scrap the USB connector, and rewire the whole thing. Its quiet an undertaking but i have done it. We rewired a really nice flight sim joystick and throttle set to control a crab drive robot once. Just memorize those OI datasheets and get some db15 connectors and start splicing wires!
Co-Founder IndianaFIRST

Share your FIRST photos on Flickr!
  #8   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-21-2005, 10:58 AM
I ᐸ3 Robots
AKA: Joey Gannon
no team

Rookie Year: 2004
jgannon has a reputation beyond reputejgannon has a reputation beyond reputejgannon has a reputation beyond reputejgannon has a reputation beyond reputejgannon has a reputation beyond reputejgannon has a reputation beyond reputejgannon has a reputation beyond reputejgannon has a reputation beyond reputejgannon has a reputation beyond reputejgannon has a reputation beyond reputejgannon has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by team1307
The problem is that the OI measures voltage from 0 to 5 volts, and turns it into a number from 0-255. You get a variable voltage using a potentiometer, which is what you'll find in the kit-provided joysticks. The problem with modern joysticks is that they give a digital output, sending pulses on a wire. The OI cannot process this sort of signal. Even if you converted the connector to DB9, you'd still be getting the same sort of signal. Your joystick probably uses analog values to generate the digital signals, so if you're feeling courageous, you could open up the joystick, bypass much of the internal circuitry, and wire the potentiometers directly to the proper pins on a DB15 connector. If your joystick uses some fancier sort of sensor (optical, perhaps), it might be a little different. The point is, it's likely that you can get your joystick to work with the OI, but the rewiring you'd have to do would be internal.
2007 Pittsburgh Website Award
2006 Pittsburgh Regional Champions (thanks to 395 and 1038)
2006 Pittsburgh Rookie Inspiration & Highest Rookie Seed

Team 1388 - Eagle Robotics
2005 Sacramento Engineering Inspiration
2004 Curie Division Champions (thanks to 1038 and 175)
2004 Sacramento Rookie All-Star

_
Closed Thread

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: