Go to Post I'm going through waves of excitment and panic all at the same time. - je2164 [more]
Home
Go Back   Chief Delphi > FIRST > General Forum > FIRST E-Mail Blast Archive
CD-Events   CD-Media   CD-Spy   FRC-Spy  
portal register members calendar search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ rules

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
  #1   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-08-2005, 11:45 AM
Unsung FIRST Hero
NYC FIRST Planning Committee Member
no team (NYC FIRST)
Team Role: Mentor

Rookie Year: 1999
Rich Wong has a reputation beyond reputeRich Wong has a reputation beyond reputeRich Wong has a reputation beyond reputeRich Wong has a reputation beyond reputeRich Wong has a reputation beyond reputeRich Wong has a reputation beyond reputeRich Wong has a reputation beyond reputeRich Wong has a reputation beyond reputeRich Wong has a reputation beyond reputeRich Wong has a reputation beyond reputeRich Wong has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Rich Wong
**FIRST EMAIL**/Announcing the 2nd Annual FIRST Robotics Conference

Greetings Teams:

The second annual FIRST Robotics Conference will take place April 21-23, 2005 at the Georgia Dome and Georgia World Congress Center in Atlanta in conjunction with the FIRST LEGO League (FLL) World Festival and FIRST Robotics Competition (FRC) Championship.

We're gearing up for a great conference that will provide current and prospective FRC and FLL teams, coaches, students, and mentors with the technical and non-technical information and advice they need to be the best they can be.

Some conference topics include:

Use of Collaborative Problem Solving to Design FIRST Robots
Overall Robot Design
Writing Killer Autonomous Programs
Advanced LEGO Robotics: Control and Communication Using RoboLabTM
Animation of Practical Robot Mechanisms
Using Conflict Resolution on an FLL Team

Register yourself or a team of five (5) for one day or for all three.

Individual Team of 5

Thursday $20 $75
Friday $25 $100
Saturday $15 $50
Thurs-Sat $50 $175

To see a full listing of topics or to register click on http://www.usfirst.org/robotics/2005/cmp_conference.htm. Registration is from March 1, 2005 to Friday, April 15 or when slots fill, whichever comes first.

For more info about the Championship and accommodations, visit www.usfirst.org/robotics/2005/chevents.htm.

Questions? Send an email to firstplace@usfirst.org or call Karen Sullivan at 1-800-871-8326 x427.

We hope to see you at the conference!
Please help feed the hungry.
  #2   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-08-2005, 12:47 PM
Unsung FIRST Hero
people expediter on Team Kluge
AKA: Jenny Beatty, no relation
no team (they are all my teams)
Team Role: Mentor

Rookie Year: 2002
RoboMom has a reputation beyond reputeRoboMom has a reputation beyond reputeRoboMom has a reputation beyond reputeRoboMom has a reputation beyond reputeRoboMom has a reputation beyond reputeRoboMom has a reputation beyond reputeRoboMom has a reputation beyond reputeRoboMom has a reputation beyond reputeRoboMom has a reputation beyond reputeRoboMom has a reputation beyond reputeRoboMom has a reputation beyond repute
Re: **FIRST EMAIL**/Announcing the 2nd Annual FIRST Robotics Conference

They truncated our conference title. We are not showing the movie "Finding NEMO" but rather hoping to have a lively discussion and to let all the NEM's (non-engineering mentors) know wherethey can go for help and ideas. Pass the word to the NEM's on your team.
  #3   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-08-2005, 03:23 PM
Unsung FIRST Hero
Been-In-FIRST-Too-Long
FRC #1438 (The Aztechs)
Team Role: Engineer

Rookie Year: 1998
Matt Leese has a reputation beyond reputeMatt Leese has a reputation beyond reputeMatt Leese has a reputation beyond reputeMatt Leese has a reputation beyond reputeMatt Leese has a reputation beyond reputeMatt Leese has a reputation beyond reputeMatt Leese has a reputation beyond reputeMatt Leese has a reputation beyond reputeMatt Leese has a reputation beyond reputeMatt Leese has a reputation beyond reputeMatt Leese has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Matt Leese

So I'm curious, what exactly are the fees being charged going to? I know for a fact that they aren't paying the presenters. I doubt renting the rooms would cost that much (or perhaps it does). The fees just don't seem to be inline with what I would expect.

Matt
  #4   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-09-2005, 08:03 AM
General Manager
no team

Rookie Year: 2001
Erin Rapacki has a reputation beyond reputeErin Rapacki has a reputation beyond reputeErin Rapacki has a reputation beyond reputeErin Rapacki has a reputation beyond reputeErin Rapacki has a reputation beyond reputeErin Rapacki has a reputation beyond reputeErin Rapacki has a reputation beyond reputeErin Rapacki has a reputation beyond reputeErin Rapacki has a reputation beyond reputeErin Rapacki has a reputation beyond reputeErin Rapacki has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Erin Rapacki

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Leese
So I'm curious, what exactly are the fees being charged going to? I know for a fact that they aren't paying the presenters. I doubt renting the rooms would cost that much (or perhaps it does). The fees just don't seem to be inline with what I would expect.

Matt
Rooms, janitors, venue staff, chairs, microphones, projectors, screens, other misc costs, printed material, tickets, web developers, etc... You name it, we have to pay for it.

Also, the funds will help build up a budget that we could use for continuously increasing the quality of the conferences, and having them occur more frequently at various different locations.
  #5   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-09-2005, 08:07 AM
BSEE, MSEE, JD in progress
AKA: employed
no team

Rookie Year: 2000
Stephen Kowski has a reputation beyond reputeStephen Kowski has a reputation beyond reputeStephen Kowski has a reputation beyond reputeStephen Kowski has a reputation beyond reputeStephen Kowski has a reputation beyond reputeStephen Kowski has a reputation beyond reputeStephen Kowski has a reputation beyond reputeStephen Kowski has a reputation beyond reputeStephen Kowski has a reputation beyond reputeStephen Kowski has a reputation beyond reputeStephen Kowski has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Stephen Kowski Send a message via Skype™ to Stephen Kowski

when we pay for this will we have access to presentation materials for further review later??
  #6   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-27-2005, 03:56 PM
KathieK's Avatar Unsung FIRST Hero
Sometimes FIRST makes my head hurt!
AKA: FIRST Senior Mentor
no team

KathieK has a reputation beyond reputeKathieK has a reputation beyond reputeKathieK has a reputation beyond reputeKathieK has a reputation beyond reputeKathieK has a reputation beyond reputeKathieK has a reputation beyond reputeKathieK has a reputation beyond reputeKathieK has a reputation beyond reputeKathieK has a reputation beyond reputeKathieK has a reputation beyond reputeKathieK has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to KathieK

Registration for the conference ends in a little over two weeks (April 14). I urge all teams to look at the schedule and register representatives to attend these sessions. I and a student from RAGE attended last year's Chairman's Award presentation and learned a lot. It's also a great place to network with other teams. The spirit of FIRST doesn't end with the end of the 6-week build cycle; there is a lot to learn at the conference in Atlanta!
  #7   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-08-2005, 06:48 PM
KathieK's Avatar Unsung FIRST Hero
Sometimes FIRST makes my head hurt!
AKA: FIRST Senior Mentor
no team

KathieK has a reputation beyond reputeKathieK has a reputation beyond reputeKathieK has a reputation beyond reputeKathieK has a reputation beyond reputeKathieK has a reputation beyond reputeKathieK has a reputation beyond reputeKathieK has a reputation beyond reputeKathieK has a reputation beyond reputeKathieK has a reputation beyond reputeKathieK has a reputation beyond reputeKathieK has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to KathieK

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoboMom
We are not showing the movie "Finding NEMO"
We're not??? I was all set to bring the popcorn!

I guess I'll have to settle for meeting the other NEM's, then!
Looking forward to meeting all of you. Check out the conference, there are a lot of great workshops being offered.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: