OCCRA
Go to Post I never use set screws to transfer torque. Something about evil spirits or whatever. - Mark Sheridan [more]
Home
Go Back   Chief Delphi > FIRST > General Forum
CD-Events   CD-Media   CD-Spy   FRC-Spy  
portal register members calendar search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ rules

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
  #1   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-26-2005, 03:40 PM
A VEX GUy WIth A STicky SHift KEy
VRC #0010 (Exothermic Robotics)
Team Role: Mentor

Rookie Year: 2005
Rick TYler has a reputation beyond reputeRick TYler has a reputation beyond reputeRick TYler has a reputation beyond reputeRick TYler has a reputation beyond reputeRick TYler has a reputation beyond reputeRick TYler has a reputation beyond reputeRick TYler has a reputation beyond reputeRick TYler has a reputation beyond reputeRick TYler has a reputation beyond reputeRick TYler has a reputation beyond reputeRick TYler has a reputation beyond repute
101 Things I Wish I'd Known Before My First FIRST Tournament

I want to write the document referenced in the title of this thread. I don't think I have 101 of my own ideas, so I'll start and let any interested parts of the hivemind chime in.

1. Be aggressive in your onsite marketing. If no one knows who you are, you'd better have a robot so much better than everyone else's that it just doesn't matter.

2. Specialize. Despite what Robert Heinlein said about insects, you can't run a team where everyone is responsible for everything.

3. Check the robot before every match. Use checklists. If it's good enough for NASA, it's good enough for FIRST.

4. Wear comfortable shoes.

5. Bring lots of water. No one wants to pay $4 for 16 ounces of water.

6. If you want to do well at the tournament, pick your drivers ahead of time. The qualification rounds are no time to test new drivers.

7. Adults should keep their hands in their pockets when work needs to be done.

8. Get out of your pits and meet other teams. Otherwise, you might as well watch a Webcast.

9. Wear distinctive shirts.

10. Get more sleep.

11. Be enthusiastic. Yell, cheer, chant, dance. Act foolish.

12. Make sure your robot has the correct code loaded.

That should be a good start. Only 89 to go.
  #2   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-26-2005, 03:47 PM
is a believer!
AKA: The man with the plan.
FRC #0093 (N.E.W. Apple Corps)
Team Role: Teacher

Rookie Year: 2000
Sean Schuff has a reputation beyond reputeSean Schuff has a reputation beyond reputeSean Schuff has a reputation beyond reputeSean Schuff has a reputation beyond reputeSean Schuff has a reputation beyond reputeSean Schuff has a reputation beyond reputeSean Schuff has a reputation beyond reputeSean Schuff has a reputation beyond reputeSean Schuff has a reputation beyond reputeSean Schuff has a reputation beyond reputeSean Schuff has a reputation beyond repute
Re: 101 Things I Wish I'd Known Before My First FIRST Tournament

I'll speak from recent experience on this one...

Don't EVER lose hope. Even if you're dead last after quailfying, there is still a chance to make it to the finals. Keep working to make you're robot the best it can be.

(This one is courtesy of Ryan Dognaux) Scout teams, not matches. Sometimes very good teams run into very bad luck.

Meet other people from other teams - they have a lot to teach and a lot to learn.

HAVE FUN! These competitions are supposed to be a blast - don't lose sight of just how fun science, technology and engineering can be. And always look at the big picture.
I think this latest educational wave is different and much more important. "Chalk and talk" is not dead, but it is mortally wounded. We must change the educational process so that we emphasize helping students learn to learn and, more importantly, learn to think." - Woodie Flowers

Thanks Plexus Corp. for 17 years of support and counting...your company gets it!!

www.nacteam93.com | Tesla Engineering Charter School
  #3   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-26-2005, 04:03 PM
the A-team
AKA: Ian Cloutier
#0175 (Buzz)
Team Role: Electrical

Rookie Year: 2003
servo175 will become famous soon enoughservo175 will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to servo175

network. FIRST is more than just a robotics competition. use it to find out what you like and try to meet people you can get in touch with when you leave high-school, for job oportunities.
2004 Curie Divison Winners
  #4   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-26-2005, 04:08 PM
Iraq is fun.
AKA: Brad Cahn
no team (Robobees 836)
Team Role: Alumni

Rookie Year: 2003
Bcahn836 has a reputation beyond reputeBcahn836 has a reputation beyond reputeBcahn836 has a reputation beyond reputeBcahn836 has a reputation beyond reputeBcahn836 has a reputation beyond reputeBcahn836 has a reputation beyond reputeBcahn836 has a reputation beyond reputeBcahn836 has a reputation beyond reputeBcahn836 has a reputation beyond reputeBcahn836 has a reputation beyond reputeBcahn836 has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Bcahn836 Send a message via Yahoo to Bcahn836

*Always scout your competition and alliances.
*Always have enough people in the pits to fix your robot at any given time, but don't keep the pits crowded with unnecessary people.
*Keep up on FIRST's schedule of events.
  #5   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-26-2005, 04:09 PM
JVN thinks I scream like a girl
AKA: John Barton
FRC #0217 (ThunderChickens)
Team Role: Operator

Rookie Year: 2004
JohnnyB is a glorious beacon of lightJohnnyB is a glorious beacon of lightJohnnyB is a glorious beacon of lightJohnnyB is a glorious beacon of lightJohnnyB is a glorious beacon of lightJohnnyB is a glorious beacon of light
Send a message via AIM to JohnnyB

counting up the other posts, thatll make this number 21...

21. Don't be afraid to have fun because its not "cool". Honestly, no one at a FIRST competition is gonna judge you. No one cares. Chances are, there are least 20 people dorkier than you.

2005 ARCHIMEDES Division Champions
(muchos gracias to 245 and 766)
2005 National Championship Semi-Finalist
2005 Detroit Regional Champions
  #6   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-26-2005, 04:12 PM
I named Greg Needel's cat!
AKA: Dave DeLong
no team (Rhode Warriors)
Team Role: Alumni

Rookie Year: 2004
MrToast has much to be proud ofMrToast has much to be proud ofMrToast has much to be proud ofMrToast has much to be proud ofMrToast has much to be proud ofMrToast has much to be proud ofMrToast has much to be proud ofMrToast has much to be proud of
Send a message via AIM to MrToast

22. Yes, kids really do cry when their robot loses. Pretty soon, you will too.

23. When something goes wrong with the robot, it's always the programmer's fault.

Dave
(#121, 2004) Archimedes semi-finalists with 237 and 386! I had an awesome time guys, and thanks for the hat!
(#121, 2004) BC5 semi-finalists with 190 and 1027! Awesome time! We went further than I thought we could! Thanks for all your help w/ our transmission!
(#121, 2005) Galileo quarter-finalists with 47 and 203! Thanks for all your support through the stress!
------------------------------
If it moves and it shouldn't, use duct tape.
If it doesn't move and it should, use WD-40
------------------------------
"It'll all work out in the end, and if it doesn't, it's not the end." - Jeff Bullock
  #7   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-26-2005, 04:42 PM
Fire Hazard
AKA: Daniel Lin
FRC #0401 (Hokie Guard)
Team Role: Programmer

geeknerd99 has much to be proud ofgeeknerd99 has much to be proud ofgeeknerd99 has much to be proud ofgeeknerd99 has much to be proud ofgeeknerd99 has much to be proud ofgeeknerd99 has much to be proud ofgeeknerd99 has much to be proud ofgeeknerd99 has much to be proud ofgeeknerd99 has much to be proud ofgeeknerd99 has much to be proud of
Send a message via AIM to geeknerd99 Send a message via MSN to geeknerd99 Send a message via Yahoo to geeknerd99

24. Start the animation on kickoff day, not 10 PM the night before the deadline.
  #8   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-26-2005, 04:56 PM
Deadlines? What are those?
AKA: Stephanie
FRC #0639 (Code Red Robotics)
Team Role: Mentor

StephLee has a reputation beyond reputeStephLee has a reputation beyond reputeStephLee has a reputation beyond reputeStephLee has a reputation beyond reputeStephLee has a reputation beyond reputeStephLee has a reputation beyond reputeStephLee has a reputation beyond reputeStephLee has a reputation beyond reputeStephLee has a reputation beyond reputeStephLee has a reputation beyond reputeStephLee has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to StephLee

Don't panic if something stops working.

If you need help, ask for it! Other teams are more than willing to help out, and chances are, one of them will know what's wrong.
  #9   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-26-2005, 05:03 PM
Getting old
FRC #0095
Team Role: Coach

Rookie Year: 2001
Andy A. has a reputation beyond reputeAndy A. has a reputation beyond reputeAndy A. has a reputation beyond reputeAndy A. has a reputation beyond reputeAndy A. has a reputation beyond reputeAndy A. has a reputation beyond reputeAndy A. has a reputation beyond reputeAndy A. has a reputation beyond reputeAndy A. has a reputation beyond reputeAndy A. has a reputation beyond reputeAndy A. has a reputation beyond repute

27- Never forget your multitool in the hotel.

28- Never forget your safety glasses.

29- Don't forget your robot cart.

30- Don't forget 27 through 29.

-Andy A.
  #10   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-26-2005, 05:11 PM
Fire Rescue 47
AKA: Kyle Dersch
FRC #1023 (Bedford Express)
Team Role: Driver

KTorak has a reputation beyond reputeKTorak has a reputation beyond reputeKTorak has a reputation beyond reputeKTorak has a reputation beyond reputeKTorak has a reputation beyond reputeKTorak has a reputation beyond reputeKTorak has a reputation beyond reputeKTorak has a reputation beyond reputeKTorak has a reputation beyond reputeKTorak has a reputation beyond reputeKTorak has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to KTorak

31. A Minute on the field waiting is as long as a microsoft minute (read as eternity).

32. A Minute during the match goes bye like a flash.
2006 Bedford Express Driver, Build Team Member, & Board of Directors
2005 Bedford Express Rookie, Build Team Member & Robot Operator
-
2008 - GLR Quarter Finalist
2007 - GLR Finalist & Boilermaker Finalist & MARC Off Season Event Winner
2006 - GLR Johnson & Johnson Sportsmanship Award & Archimedes 7th Seed Quarter Finalist
2005 - GLR Finalist & Judges Award.
2004 - GLR Semi Finalist.
2003 - GLR/DTR Quarter Finalist & GLR/NAT'L Rookie All Star.
  #11   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-26-2005, 06:30 PM
no team
Team Role: Engineer

KenWittlief has a reputation beyond reputeKenWittlief has a reputation beyond reputeKenWittlief has a reputation beyond reputeKenWittlief has a reputation beyond reputeKenWittlief has a reputation beyond reputeKenWittlief has a reputation beyond reputeKenWittlief has a reputation beyond reputeKenWittlief has a reputation beyond reputeKenWittlief has a reputation beyond reputeKenWittlief has a reputation beyond reputeKenWittlief has a reputation beyond repute

33. make sure someone has a key to the big toolbox, or disable the lock before you leave. Trying to borrow a hacksaw at 8am thursday is embarrasing
  #12   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-26-2005, 06:36 PM
Fire Rescue 47
AKA: Kyle Dersch
FRC #1023 (Bedford Express)
Team Role: Driver

KTorak has a reputation beyond reputeKTorak has a reputation beyond reputeKTorak has a reputation beyond reputeKTorak has a reputation beyond reputeKTorak has a reputation beyond reputeKTorak has a reputation beyond reputeKTorak has a reputation beyond reputeKTorak has a reputation beyond reputeKTorak has a reputation beyond reputeKTorak has a reputation beyond reputeKTorak has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to KTorak

34. ALWAYS bring a spare cordless drill battery to uncrating, becuase your's will die. (We had to remove many screws with a screwdriver )
2006 Bedford Express Driver, Build Team Member, & Board of Directors
2005 Bedford Express Rookie, Build Team Member & Robot Operator
-
2008 - GLR Quarter Finalist
2007 - GLR Finalist & Boilermaker Finalist & MARC Off Season Event Winner
2006 - GLR Johnson & Johnson Sportsmanship Award & Archimedes 7th Seed Quarter Finalist
2005 - GLR Finalist & Judges Award.
2004 - GLR Semi Finalist.
2003 - GLR/DTR Quarter Finalist & GLR/NAT'L Rookie All Star.
  #13   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-20-2006, 05:16 PM
AKA: Julia Filer
FRC #0547 (Fear)

Rookie Year: 2006
june_2008 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrToast
22. Yes, kids really do cry when their robot loses. Pretty soon, you will too.

23. When something goes wrong with the robot, it's always the programmer's fault.

Dave
As a Programmer, I resent that comment!

2006 Galileo Division Finalists

"Those parts of the system that you can hit with a hammer are called hardware; those program instructions that you can only curse at are called software."
Anonymous
  #14   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-29-2005, 12:18 PM
Head of Electronics
AKA: Kevin F.
FRC #1596 (Twin Saults International Instigators)
Team Role: Electrical

the_short1 is a name known to allthe_short1 is a name known to allthe_short1 is a name known to allthe_short1 is a name known to allthe_short1 is a name known to allthe_short1 is a name known to all
Send a message via MSN to the_short1

Quote:
Originally Posted by servo175
network. FIRST is more than just a robotics competition. use it to find out what you like and try to meet people you can get in touch with when you leave high-school, for job oportunities.
i fully agreee with taht.. i met one of the most interesting girls ive met in my life from team 547 (tenesee). . .we have so much in common its like . .whoa..

another one: make shure all your batteries are numbers and use them in order 1-4 and MAKE SHURE YOU SWAP them after each match.,.. i went away asuming someone else would swap the batery.. but no. .. so we had one match of a almost dead battery.. it was embarasing....

second one: dont make an A$$ outa yourself and assume.. . its not a good thing :d
2006 Website (Totally Revamped):Instigators1596.com
2006 GLR: 31st/61 Seed, Aliance: 835, 1213, 1596 (Quarter Finalists) Spirit & 3 peer awards, THX!
2006 Waterloo: 7th/31 Seed, Aliance: 1219, 1596, 912 (Semi Finalists) Spirit & 2 peer awards, THX!
2006 Waterloo: Aliance: 1596, 1680, 1114 Higest Match Score: (Q22) 128|32
  #15   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-29-2005, 12:47 PM
None #0702 (Bagel Bytes)

roberthan is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to roberthan
Wink Re: 101 Things I Wish I'd Known Before My First FIRST Tournament

here is couple more
  • you can NEVER finish your robot too early
  • AlWAYS give your programers alot of time to test, if you want a reliable code and robot
  • if the code don't work, check the robot(eps. wiring, sensors) as well as your code
  • plan out everything before you start
  • make sure the radio is plugged in before every match
  • and AT LEAST test your autonomous code once, no matter in however a big of rush you're in

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: