Go to Post Don't give FIRST ideas...we like our 45 day build season. They can make it shorter. Never underestimate the power of the GDC. - Littleboy [more]
Home
Go Back   Chief Delphi > Other > FIRST Tech Challenge
CD-Events   CD-Media   CD-Spy   FRC-Spy  
portal register members calendar search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ rules

#1   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-06-2005, 09:37 AM
Joe Johnson's Avatar Unsung FIRST Hero
Engineer at iRobot
AKA: Dr. Joe
FRC #3958 (FRC Teams Need Names?)
Team Role: Engineer

Rookie Year: 1996
Joe Johnson has a reputation beyond reputeJoe Johnson has a reputation beyond reputeJoe Johnson has a reputation beyond reputeJoe Johnson has a reputation beyond reputeJoe Johnson has a reputation beyond reputeJoe Johnson has a reputation beyond reputeJoe Johnson has a reputation beyond reputeJoe Johnson has a reputation beyond reputeJoe Johnson has a reputation beyond reputeJoe Johnson has a reputation beyond reputeJoe Johnson has a reputation beyond repute
Useful VEX Tools

Greetings VEX teams,

From working with the Innovation First Isaac system (a.k.a. Edu Robotics kit, Robovation Robotics Kit, VEX Robotics Kit) on my own, from teaching a week long class in Taiwan using the them and from working with my wife & daughter's VEX team (FRV-23), I have listed below some suggestions concerning tools I recommend all VEX teams should buy/acquire.

I will use McMaster.com as my source, but you can easily get these tolls/parts from other sources.

For clarity, I have included links pictures in the message.

Hope this helps.

Please post other tools and tips you have on this forum.

Joe J. (a.k..a “Dr Joe” in FIRST circles)
Robotic Amusements, Inc.

Nut Driver for 8-32 Nuts:

8358A26
Hollow-Shaft Inch Nutdriver Standard, 11/32" Size, 3" Shaft Depth, Green
In stock at $4.52 Each

This tool makes it easier to tighten a nut in close quarters. You can often get this nut driver in places that the wrench just won’t go.

See picture HERE.

Hex Driver for 8-32 Screws:

5497A68
Comfort Grip Ball Driver Long Length, 5/64" Hex, 4-21/64" Blade Length
In stock at $2.33 Each

Hex Driver for 6-32 Motor Screws and Shaft Collar Set Screws:

5497A69
Comfort Grip Ball Driver Long Length, 3/32" Hex, 4-51/64" Blade Length
In stock at $2.39 Each

These two tools save TONS of time when building, repairing, etc. In the pits in Atlanta, you are almost certainly going to be taking your robots apart between rounds for this or that reason. Saving time means you will reduce the general stress level. HIGHLY RECOMMENDED.

See picture HERE.

Hi Torque Hex L-keys:
71285A151
Hi-Torque L-Key 5/64" Hex, 4" Length
In stock at $0.24 Each

71285A152
Hi-Torque L-Key 3/32" Hex, 4-13/32" Length
In stock at $0.27 Each

These L-keys have a profile that make a significant difference when you are really tightening a screw. They do a much better job of keeping the hex from stripping. These things are cheap. Buy 10 of each of them. Use them until they start to show wear and THROW THEM OUT – you’ll be glad you did. It is better to use fresh tools and not strip a screw. At about a quarter each, it is money well spent.

Regular key on left - Hi-torque key on right,

If you are going to replace motor screws…
96452A144
Torx Button Head Socket Cap Screw Alloy Steel, 6-32 Thread, 1/4" Length
In stock at $12.43 per Pack
See Print HERE

96452A148
Torx Button Head Socket Cap Screw Alloy Steel, 6-32 Thread, 1/2" Length
In stock at $13.16 per Pack
See Print HERE

If I had more time, I would find these screws in stainless steel or with a zinc finish so that it would be easier to sort the motor screws from the 8-32 construction screws, but McMaster only has black oxide finish available.

Torx Driver for Above Screws:
5756A14
Torx Driver Size T10, 3-1/4" Blade Length, 5-5/8" O'all Length
In stock at $3.20 Each

This tool will save time for building and repairs.

See picture HERE.

Torx L-key for Above Screws:

6959A41
Torx L-Key Long Arm, Size T10, 3-3/8" Length
In stock at $0.95 Each

This tool is another one that I would buy several of. Torx tools are nowhere near as likely to round out or strip, so I would perhaps only buy 5 of these where I might by 10 of the similar hex tool.

See picture HERE.

Tools for Torx Motor Screws:

37455A22
Comfort Grip Torx Ball-Point Driver T10 Torx, 2-23/32" Blade Length, 5-3/16" L O'all
In stock at $6.40 Each

This is a nice tool, more expensive, but the ball end feature makes it possible to tighten some screws at “off angles” that you just can’t get to with a normal tool.

See picture HERE.

(among a few other FIRST related titles I could use)

Last edited by Joe Johnson : 04-06-2005 at 10:19 AM.
  #2   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-11-2005, 05:06 AM
agitator
AKA: Tom Murphy
FRC #0481 (The Hitchhikers)
Team Role: Coach

Rookie Year: 2003
White Wolf will become famous soon enoughWhite Wolf will become famous soon enough
Re: Useful VEX Tools

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Johnson
Greetings VEX teams,

I have listed below some suggestions concerning tools I recommend all VEX teams should buy/acquire.

Wow. Your list was so timely and helpful, We were just at the point of starting to look for replacements. You did a truly wonderful job. There was one additional part we ordered, also from McMaster Carr.

Replacement Drive Shafts:

8894K14
Grade W-1 Steel Square Bar 1/8" Size, 3' Length
In stock at $2.33 Each

We have scored and scratched our given drive shafts and yet were afraid to cut them to avoid the risk of making irreversible decisions we'd later regret. We bought six feet of replacement stock and will recut all shaft to size. In order to keep within replacement rules we are going to identify the lengths of all groups of shaft that were "cut" from the same piece of original stock. This will allow us to easily show we have done a correct replacement.
  #3   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-11-2005, 08:05 AM
Joe Johnson's Avatar Unsung FIRST Hero
Engineer at iRobot
AKA: Dr. Joe
FRC #3958 (FRC Teams Need Names?)
Team Role: Engineer

Rookie Year: 1996
Joe Johnson has a reputation beyond reputeJoe Johnson has a reputation beyond reputeJoe Johnson has a reputation beyond reputeJoe Johnson has a reputation beyond reputeJoe Johnson has a reputation beyond reputeJoe Johnson has a reputation beyond reputeJoe Johnson has a reputation beyond reputeJoe Johnson has a reputation beyond reputeJoe Johnson has a reputation beyond reputeJoe Johnson has a reputation beyond reputeJoe Johnson has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by White Wolf

In order to keep within replacement rules we are going to identify the lengths of all groups of shaft that were "cut" from the same piece of original stock. This will allow us to easily show we have done a correct replacement.
Excellent idea.

Thanks.

Joe J.

(among a few other FIRST related titles I could use)
  #4   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-11-2005, 11:40 AM
agitator
AKA: Tom Murphy
FRC #0481 (The Hitchhikers)
Team Role: Coach

White Wolf will become famous soon enoughWhite Wolf will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by White Wolf
In order to keep within replacement rules we are going to identify the lengths of all groups of shaft that were "cut" from the same piece of original stock. This will allow us to easily show we have done a correct replacement.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Johnson
Excellent idea.
FVT-42 The Hitchhikers

Thanks.

Along those same lines, we have made a matrix of robotic subsystems as the columns and precious resources as the rows. It has allowed us to do a more integrative design and has fostered several "Apollo 13" Aha! moments. I suspect at some point they will be more formally cast into a spreadsheet, but for now they have lived on the white-board and on scraps of paper. Our tracked resources have been kinds of gears, motors, and servos.
  #5   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-26-2005, 05:48 PM
Animator/Photographer
FRC #0375 (The Robotic Plague)
Team Role: Animator

Leon my zi is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to Leon my zi

Thanks for this info I'm going to be getting my kit soon and its nice to know what i should get for replacements.
2005 New York City Regional

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: