OCCRA
Go to Post Welcome to FIRST! It's in your blood now... - AmyPrib [more]
Home
Go Back   Chief Delphi > FIRST > Career
CD-Events   CD-Media   CD-Spy   FRC-Spy  
portal register members calendar search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ rules

#1   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 10-22-2005, 10:05 PM
FRC #0188 (Woburn Robotics)
Team Role: College Student

Rookie Year: 1999
Tristan Lall has a reputation beyond reputeTristan Lall has a reputation beyond reputeTristan Lall has a reputation beyond reputeTristan Lall has a reputation beyond reputeTristan Lall has a reputation beyond reputeTristan Lall has a reputation beyond reputeTristan Lall has a reputation beyond reputeTristan Lall has a reputation beyond reputeTristan Lall has a reputation beyond reputeTristan Lall has a reputation beyond reputeTristan Lall has a reputation beyond repute
What's there to love in Boston?

It has come to pass that I'm being considered for a co-op* position in the Boston area, (Woburn, MA, to be exact). Though I won't get notice of approval or rejection for several days, (the 28th at the latest), I thought it might be prudent to do a little research on what that area of the world is like. The company involved is Azure Dynamics, a firm which supplies hybrid vehicles and powertrains to (principally) commercial/fleet users.

I've never visited the Boston area, much less lived there for a while, so I'm curious about all of the logistical issues related to cost of living (or, before I get ahead of myself, places in which to live). On a less practical note, I'm equally curious as to what I could do in my spare time; tourist things, recreational things, etc.. Of course, with the FIRST season approaching, I also wonder if there's a team (or teams?) out there that could use some extra freelance help.

So in short, tell me something about Boston.

*A paid internship for academic credit, lasting 4 months, starting in January 2006.
  #2   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 10-22-2005, 10:24 PM
Karthik's Avatar Unsung FIRST Hero
VEX Robotics GDC Chairman
FRC #1114 (Simbotics)
Team Role: Mentor

Rookie Year: 1998
Karthik has a reputation beyond reputeKarthik has a reputation beyond reputeKarthik has a reputation beyond reputeKarthik has a reputation beyond reputeKarthik has a reputation beyond reputeKarthik has a reputation beyond reputeKarthik has a reputation beyond reputeKarthik has a reputation beyond reputeKarthik has a reputation beyond reputeKarthik has a reputation beyond reputeKarthik has a reputation beyond repute
Re: What's there to love in Boston?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tristan Lall
It has come to pass that I'm being considered for a co-op* position in the Boston area, (Woburn, MA, to be exact).
I find it pretty ironic that the gradute of Woburn Robotics and Woburn C.I. is possibly taking a job in Woburn, MA. Congrats.
"Enthusiasm is one of the most powerful engines of success. When you do a thing, do it with all your might. Put your whole soul into it. Stamp it with your own personality. Be active, be energetic, be enthusiastic and faithful and you will accomplish your object. Nothing great was ever achieved without enthusiasm" -- R.W. Emerson
My TEDx Talk - The Subtle Secrets of Success
Full disclosure: I work for IFI and VEX Robotics, and am the Chairman of the VEX Robotics and VEX IQ Game Design Committees
  #3   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 10-22-2005, 10:27 PM

Tristan Lall has a reputation beyond reputeTristan Lall has a reputation beyond reputeTristan Lall has a reputation beyond reputeTristan Lall has a reputation beyond reputeTristan Lall has a reputation beyond reputeTristan Lall has a reputation beyond reputeTristan Lall has a reputation beyond reputeTristan Lall has a reputation beyond reputeTristan Lall has a reputation beyond reputeTristan Lall has a reputation beyond reputeTristan Lall has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karthik
I find it pretty ironic that the gradute of Woburn Robotics and Woburn C.I. is possibly taking a job in Woburn, MA. Congrats.
You know, my potential boss is a graduate of both Woburn C.I. (1991, he said) and Waterloo Engineering....
  #4   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 10-22-2005, 10:33 PM
Copioli is the man!!!
FRC #1403 (Cougar Robotics)
Team Role: Alumni

Rookie Year: 1997
slickguy2007 has a reputation beyond reputeslickguy2007 has a reputation beyond reputeslickguy2007 has a reputation beyond reputeslickguy2007 has a reputation beyond reputeslickguy2007 has a reputation beyond reputeslickguy2007 has a reputation beyond reputeslickguy2007 has a reputation beyond reputeslickguy2007 has a reputation beyond reputeslickguy2007 has a reputation beyond reputeslickguy2007 has a reputation beyond reputeslickguy2007 has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to slickguy2007

Perfect time to move out there, their is a Boston Regional now. Its a city, so their is plenty to do. From what my sister tells me, it could get expensive depending on where you live in the city but that is just how cities are. The Charles River is right there, so it opens up some possibilities. I heard that going to sporting events and going to the clubs are the hot things to do. Its an awesome city with plenty to do, you won't have a hard time finding anything to do. As for robotics teams in the city, I think there are some(125, 246 etc.). Hope this helps.

GO 1403!!!
  #5   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 10-22-2005, 10:48 PM
3 Fs..... Fun Friends FIRST!!
AKA: Imad
FRC #0612

Rookie Year: 2005
RoboMadi has a brilliant futureRoboMadi has a brilliant futureRoboMadi has a brilliant futureRoboMadi has a brilliant futureRoboMadi has a brilliant futureRoboMadi has a brilliant futureRoboMadi has a brilliant futureRoboMadi has a brilliant futureRoboMadi has a brilliant futureRoboMadi has a brilliant futureRoboMadi has a brilliant future

in my opinion ownign a car in BOSTON is just simply insane, as traffic is too bad. Although its a great city to live in, cause you are technically surrounded by genious minds from MIT and Boston University. also BOSTON regional is really competitive and incredible.
  #6   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 10-23-2005, 12:01 AM
AKA: Cory McBride
FRC #0254 (The Cheesy Poofs)
Team Role: Engineer

Rookie Year: 2001
Cory has a reputation beyond reputeCory has a reputation beyond reputeCory has a reputation beyond reputeCory has a reputation beyond reputeCory has a reputation beyond reputeCory has a reputation beyond reputeCory has a reputation beyond reputeCory has a reputation beyond reputeCory has a reputation beyond reputeCory has a reputation beyond reputeCory has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Cory

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoboMadi
in my opinion ownign a car in BOSTON is just simply insane, as traffic is too bad. Although its a great city to live in, cause you are technically surrounded by genious minds from MIT and Boston University. also BOSTON regional is really competitive and incredible.
You don't really need a car, if you're actually living in Boston. You can pretty much get wherever you need to go with the T.

I know it's cheaper to live in MA than it is out here in CA, but I have no idea how the cost of living around your neck of the woods compared to MA is.
  #7   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 10-23-2005, 12:15 AM
no team

Rookie Year: 2000
tiffany34990 has a reputation beyond reputetiffany34990 has a reputation beyond reputetiffany34990 has a reputation beyond reputetiffany34990 has a reputation beyond reputetiffany34990 has a reputation beyond reputetiffany34990 has a reputation beyond reputetiffany34990 has a reputation beyond reputetiffany34990 has a reputation beyond reputetiffany34990 has a reputation beyond reputetiffany34990 has a reputation beyond reputetiffany34990 has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to tiffany34990

it's a great city... my bro is up there..

you can take the T pretty much everywhere truthfully or just walk...

the food and people are great... if you love history well a really great place to be at.. into ships and well there is the harbor... a pretty good aquarium...baseball.. be a fan of the red socks if you want...

there is of course a few FIRST teams in the area...

it is like large college town b/c of the many schools in the Boston area and Cambridge area...

i wish you luck with your co-op... and enjoy Boston
  #8   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 10-23-2005, 10:33 PM
Unsung FIRST Hero
AKA: Ms. Chen-Lee
FRC #0180 (S.P.A.M.)

Pat Chen is a name known to allPat Chen is a name known to allPat Chen is a name known to allPat Chen is a name known to allPat Chen is a name known to allPat Chen is a name known to all

[quote=Tristan Lall]It has come to pass that I'm being considered for a co-op* position in the Boston area, (Woburn, MA, to be exact).
QUOTE]
Tristan: There are two teams that I know of ...right inside Boston...one team is mentored by Northeastern University...the other one is Boston University..the site of Boston Regional....I believe that you can take the suburban train into the city of Boston...check on this...because you do not want to take a car into Boston....parking is atrocious....to park on the street ..you need a resident sticker...parking garages are costly....but transportation is very easy and accessible.....Boston is a wonderful place....it is a big city but has the feel of a small place....not like any other big cities...I am from NYC...and that looks and feel like a big city...Boston is not like that.....lots to do...great restaurants....good luck...I hope you get the position! You will love Boston.
  #9   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 10-24-2005, 05:12 AM
FIRST Senior Mentor
AKA: Dana P. Henry
FRC #0839 (Rosie Robotics)

Rookie Year: 2002
Rosiebotboss has a reputation beyond reputeRosiebotboss has a reputation beyond reputeRosiebotboss has a reputation beyond reputeRosiebotboss has a reputation beyond reputeRosiebotboss has a reputation beyond reputeRosiebotboss has a reputation beyond reputeRosiebotboss has a reputation beyond reputeRosiebotboss has a reputation beyond reputeRosiebotboss has a reputation beyond reputeRosiebotboss has a reputation beyond reputeRosiebotboss has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Rosiebotboss Send a message via Skype™ to Rosiebotboss

I fiond it kind of funny.........all the replies so far to your request are from folks NOT from Boston. It may appear that neither am I, but I will tell you Iwas born just norht of the city, lived there and left. So, that said, here is my $.02...

Woburn is 20 miles outside the City of Boston. Rte 128, "America's Technology Highway" runs through it. There are many high tech firms in Woburn and surrounding cities. I cannot give you apt prices, contact a real estate company for that. Gas prices are 2.70+ gal, you will need a car if you want to go anywhere on your own schedule. There is mass transit, but not to everywhere. If you want to travel into Boston proper, take the T.

There are many recreational things to do from large shopping malls and movies to coffe house and libraries, top museums and loud nightclubs.

Oh, and the Red Sox, Patriots, Celtics and Bruins.

Good luck.
KPCB Entrepreneurship 04, 05, 06, 07, 10, 11, 13, 14
Rookie All Star and Top Rookie Seed 2002
CMP Inspector 05-14, LRI NE FIRST NU, District CMP
JTB 1944-2008 "What did you do with your dash?"
  #10   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 10-24-2005, 08:37 AM
Strategy & Gaming
AKA: Chris Peterson
None #1073 (Team F.O.R.C.E.)

Petey has a reputation beyond reputePetey has a reputation beyond reputePetey has a reputation beyond reputePetey has a reputation beyond reputePetey has a reputation beyond reputePetey has a reputation beyond reputePetey has a reputation beyond reputePetey has a reputation beyond reputePetey has a reputation beyond reputePetey has a reputation beyond reputePetey has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
It has come to pass that I'm being considered for a co-op* position in the Boston area, (Woburn, MA, to be exact). Though I won't get notice of approval or rejection for several days, (the 28th at the latest), I thought it might be prudent to do a little research on what that area of the world is like. The company involved is Azure Dynamics, a firm which supplies hybrid vehicles and powertrains to (principally) commercial/fleet users.

I've never visited the Boston area, much less lived there for a while, so I'm curious about all of the logistical issues related to cost of living (or, before I get ahead of myself, places in which to live). On a less practical note, I'm equally curious as to what I could do in my spare time; tourist things, recreational things, etc.. Of course, with the FIRST season approaching, I also wonder if there's a team (or teams?) out there that could use some extra freelance help.

So in short, tell me something about Boston.

*A paid internship for academic credit, lasting 4 months, starting in January 2006.
Boston is a beautiful city that carries its age well. Its high culture--plays, museums, and colleges--are counterbalanced by a love of sports and bars.

Fenway Park and the Boston Garden are must-sees. The Blue Man Group is always fun. The Duck Tours and Museum of Science are fantastic.

But you can just walk around and have a good time too.

It's my favorite city in the world. It's really a very good area--I've got family in Woburn.

You got any specific questions, PM me. I grew up in Reading, MA, and have lived for the last four years barely an hour north of Boston, right across the N.H. border.

--Petey

Bio:
Team 1073 alumnus, now Admissions Officer at MIT.

Thanks to all those who have helped me through FIRST over the years.
  #11   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 10-24-2005, 09:30 AM
Always be shipping.
no team

Jessica Boucher has a reputation beyond reputeJessica Boucher has a reputation beyond reputeJessica Boucher has a reputation beyond reputeJessica Boucher has a reputation beyond reputeJessica Boucher has a reputation beyond reputeJessica Boucher has a reputation beyond reputeJessica Boucher has a reputation beyond reputeJessica Boucher has a reputation beyond reputeJessica Boucher has a reputation beyond reputeJessica Boucher has a reputation beyond reputeJessica Boucher has a reputation beyond repute

I also find it funny that noone's stated that though there is tons to love about Boston, you're going to be working more near Burlington than Boston.

Burlington will be your closest mall/shopping area: movie theatre, great restaurants (I suggest Rainforest Cafe and the Cheesecake Factory). It's a fabulous area. Close by is Lexington, which is fun to visit on a day trip, since it's got a lot of history about the American Revolution. I don't remember exactly when it is, but they do recreate Paul Revere's Midnight Ride (and yes, in the middle of the night).

As for the MBTA, you'll be able to get on the commuter rail in Woburn at the Anderson RTC stop on the Lowell line. Please keep in mind that the Commuter Rail is not the T and runs much less frequently than the T itself. Your best bet to jump on the T will be Alewife station in Cambridge, on the Red Line (though you can jump on the Orange and the Green lines....the Lechmere/Science Park end of the Green line has been in the throes of construction for quite some time, and thus I don't really know the status of it, and I much prefer my time on the Red Line than any time spent on the Orange Line ) Alewife will be about 20 minutes south from you.

I lived in Wellesley for 4 years while I was at Babson, and worked over the breaks...I had a blast. I'm sure you will too Feel free to PM me with more questions you may have.
Advisor, NE FIRST

Last edited by Jessica Boucher : 10-24-2005 at 09:44 AM.
  #12   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 10-24-2005, 11:56 AM
Strategy & Gaming
AKA: Chris Peterson
None #1073 (Team F.O.R.C.E.)

Petey has a reputation beyond reputePetey has a reputation beyond reputePetey has a reputation beyond reputePetey has a reputation beyond reputePetey has a reputation beyond reputePetey has a reputation beyond reputePetey has a reputation beyond reputePetey has a reputation beyond reputePetey has a reputation beyond reputePetey has a reputation beyond reputePetey has a reputation beyond repute

Jessica is right. The Burlington mall is great.

But the MBTA is a fantastic system.

--Petey

Bio:
Team 1073 alumnus, now Admissions Officer at MIT.

Thanks to all those who have helped me through FIRST over the years.
  #13   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 10-24-2005, 12:13 PM
General Manager
no team
Team Role: Engineer

Rookie Year: 2001
Erin Rapacki has a reputation beyond reputeErin Rapacki has a reputation beyond reputeErin Rapacki has a reputation beyond reputeErin Rapacki has a reputation beyond reputeErin Rapacki has a reputation beyond reputeErin Rapacki has a reputation beyond reputeErin Rapacki has a reputation beyond reputeErin Rapacki has a reputation beyond reputeErin Rapacki has a reputation beyond reputeErin Rapacki has a reputation beyond reputeErin Rapacki has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Erin Rapacki

OK, you might as well hear it from another local:

You'll need a car to commute to and from work (if you're work is in Woburn). If you live out near work, a bedroom in an apartment should cost less than $500 a month. For $$ sake I highly recommend living as close to where you work as possible, unless you want the TRUE experience of living in the city. It just gets more expensive as you get closer to the city. Search roommates.com' or 'boston.craigslist.org' to find roommates who are looking to sublet for the time period you're in Woburn. Parking in Boston is free on weekends in many places and driving into the city to park, and then T'ing around during the day, works out really well (well, NU lots are free anyway). I love Boston and I plan on staying here a few years after I graduate. These are the things I do during my free time:

City Life:

-clubbing
-restaurants/bars with friends
-lots of live music
-spend money
-shopping
-museums
-shows/theater
-public events (like the Pumpkin Festival)
-wander around Newberry Street
-Monopoly at Starbucks

Robotics/Science Life:

-Have dinner with Steve Wozniak (co-founder of Apple) at Applebees in the Prudential Center during a FIRST Boston Regional volunteer coordination meeting (not kidding ).
-Meetings at a law firm downtown to organize an event for WEST (women entrepreneurs in science and technology)
-Networking meetings at Museum of Science with WEST
-Help a rookie robotics team in the area (I haven't decided which one yet, but there are many around).
-RoboBusiness conference at the Cambridge Hyatt.
-Attend museums/meetings to listen to speakers/lectures.

Outdoor Life:

-"It's Friday night, drive north!!!"
-www.viewsfromthetop.org has a lot of Boston people who go hiking on the weekends connected to it, so its easy to find rides
-SCUBA dive
-Hang Glide
-Lots of hiking (winter hiking, woohooo!)

Transportation:

-easy
-public transportation is great
-easy access to airport, trains, & bus
-zipcar is my very best friend

Sports:

-Red Sox riot in October
-Patriots riot in January
-the riots are getting a little routine

Ummmm, any more questions about Boston? The city is awesome one you find the people around to enjoy it with.

Last edited by Erin Rapacki : 10-24-2005 at 12:18 PM.
  #14   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 11-02-2005, 06:32 PM

I'll resurrect this thread in order to convey my disappointment that, no, I didn't get the job that I sought in Boston. (And that's unfortunate, because it would've been rather nice, judging by the descriptions and discussions that I've had.) As is pretty much standard procedure in the University of Waterloo co-op job matching process, no particular reason was given for condemning me to yet another semester in the cold, white North.*

I did, however, land a job with another one of the companies that interviewed me; Solectron Invotronics (makers, primarily, of automotive electronics), which, convieniently enough, is about 8 km from my house, as opposed to 918 km away for Azure Dynamics. I guess that this means the Toronto-area teams will be recieving the bulk of my services (whether they want them or not).

*Actually, I'm well aware that Boston is a bit colder than Toronto in the winter. That was merely for imagery's sake.
  #15   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 11-05-2005, 07:11 AM
Unsung FIRST Hero
AKA: Ms. Chen-Lee
FRC #0180 (S.P.A.M.)

Pat Chen is a name known to allPat Chen is a name known to allPat Chen is a name known to allPat Chen is a name known to allPat Chen is a name known to allPat Chen is a name known to all

Quote:
I'll resurrect this thread in order to convey my disappointment that, no, I didn't get the job that I sought in Boston.......... for condemning me to yet another semester in the cold, white North.*

Isize]

I am sorry to learn that you didn't get the job in Boston. ....it is a fun place to be.....next time...apply to a few companies in Florida....if you want to get out of the cold. Good luck with the job at Solectron.

Pat Chen

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: