OCCRA
Go to Post The spirit of the game, and the game are essentially two different things. - ttldomination [more]
Home
Go Back   Chief Delphi > Other > Chit-Chat
CD-Events   CD-Media   CD-Spy   FRC-Spy  
portal register members calendar search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ rules

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
  #1   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 10-24-2005, 09:45 AM
no team
Team Role: Engineer

KenWittlief has a reputation beyond reputeKenWittlief has a reputation beyond reputeKenWittlief has a reputation beyond reputeKenWittlief has a reputation beyond reputeKenWittlief has a reputation beyond reputeKenWittlief has a reputation beyond reputeKenWittlief has a reputation beyond reputeKenWittlief has a reputation beyond reputeKenWittlief has a reputation beyond reputeKenWittlief has a reputation beyond reputeKenWittlief has a reputation beyond repute
Simple things that have made your life better or easier

We have a lot of bright people on this forum, and Ive noticed that when you start to think like a engineer you tend to find ways to improve all aspects of your life.

Thought I'd start a thread to allow people to share simple things people have come up with, discovered, or invented that makes your life better or easier.

For example, a couple years ago while getting dressed in the morning, I realized that half my shirts were polo-style, with 2 or three buttons at the top, and the rest are dress shirts. It dawned on me, how much time do I spend unbuttoning and buttoning the dress shirts every day, when all I need to do is unbutton the top two buttons, and pull it over my head like a polo shirt? Even if it only takes 30 seconds a day, thats 3 hours a year you spend goofing around with those extra 5 (un-necessary) buttons on your shirts!

Ok, a better example. My dentist recommended I use Listerine mouthwash twice a day. At first I was shaking up the bottle, pouring it into a little cup, drinking from the cup, rinsing it out... one day I had the brainstorm to put the Listerine into a squeeze bottle, like a bicycle water bottle, that you can squirt right in your mouth. Ive noticed that since I started using Listerine (over a year ago) I have not had the flu or a cold. Thats a definite improvement, I really hate being sick.

One more simple thing: a year ago I got contact lenses, and now I wonder why I didnt get them 20 years ago. Your peripheral vision is so much better, you never have to clean your glasses, or remember where you put them, and its so much easier to use cameras, microscopes, and binoculars.

Last edited by KenWittlief : 10-24-2005 at 09:48 AM.
  #2   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 10-24-2005, 12:02 PM
back to school ;-)
FRC #0696 (Circuit Breakers)
Team Role: Teacher

Rookie Year: 2002
sanddrag has a reputation beyond reputesanddrag has a reputation beyond reputesanddrag has a reputation beyond reputesanddrag has a reputation beyond reputesanddrag has a reputation beyond reputesanddrag has a reputation beyond reputesanddrag has a reputation beyond reputesanddrag has a reputation beyond reputesanddrag has a reputation beyond reputesanddrag has a reputation beyond reputesanddrag has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Simple things that have made your life better or easier

keyless entry
Student Mechanical Leader and Driver, Team 696 Circuit Breakers, 2002-2004

Support Team 696 on DonorsChoose!
  #3   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 10-24-2005, 05:26 PM
occra 23.
AKA: ryo
None #1481
Team Role: Alumni

Rookie Year: 2006
greencactus3 is a name known to allgreencactus3 is a name known to allgreencactus3 is a name known to allgreencactus3 is a name known to allgreencactus3 is a name known to allgreencactus3 is a name known to all
Send a message via AIM to greencactus3 Send a message via MSN to greencactus3

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanddrag
keyless entry
still havent gotten a high end car that has those lol. well who wants the extra weight anyways..
post-its.
sharpie
internet.
  #4   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 10-24-2005, 12:48 PM
Survived year 1–year 2 comes quick!
AKA: @WmLeverette, @GarnetSq, @SCRIW...
FRC #4901 (Garnet Squadron); FLL #7016/7017 (Garnet Squadron Alfa/Bravo)
Team Role: Mentor

Rookie Year: 2004
Billfred has a reputation beyond reputeBillfred has a reputation beyond reputeBillfred has a reputation beyond reputeBillfred has a reputation beyond reputeBillfred has a reputation beyond reputeBillfred has a reputation beyond reputeBillfred has a reputation beyond reputeBillfred has a reputation beyond reputeBillfred has a reputation beyond reputeBillfred has a reputation beyond reputeBillfred has a reputation beyond repute

Living in a residence hall leads to plenty of creativity.

For example, I only really have one nice set of clothes. Everything else is just T-shirts, shorts, socks, and underwear. Since I don't hang them up or anything, I just take them out of the dryer, fold as appropriate (tip: pair up your socks when you take them out of the dryer--you'll thank me when it's ten minutes before class and you can just grab a pair as opposed to hunting), and put them in the hamper. I then haul the hamper back to my room, and fish the clothes out of there. Works fine for me, and it solves the problem of limited drawer space by ignoring the drawers completely.
Billfred's World Tour: USC Kickoff Palmetto CMP Robot Rodeo Manchester Kickoff Florida Palmetto CMP Capital Clash USC Kickoff FVC Orangeburg Florida Peachtree Palmetto CMP Mission Mayhem Exploding Bacon Vex Event Duel on the Delaware CalGames USC Kickoff Florida Chesapeake Palmetto CMP BattleCry Mission Mayhem Brunswick Eruption 6 Clemson Kickoff Chesapeake Palmetto CMP IRI TNT Greenville Tech Scrimmage Bayou Palmetto CMP IRI GRITS TNT Bayou Palmetto CMP IRI Citadel Kickoff Peachtree Palmetto CMP IRI TNT SCRIW Citadel Kickoff Peachtree Palmetto Championship IRI SCRIW II Chapin Kickoff Palmetto South Florida IRI SCRIW III Chapin Kickoff SC FTC CMP Palmetto SC FLL CMP Orlando CMP Midknight Mayhem SCRIW IV (51,569.9 miles, and still on a mission from Bob)

Rule #1: Do not die. Rule #2: Be respectful. Rule #3: Be safe. Rule #4: Follow the handbook.
  #5   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 10-24-2005, 12:59 PM
no team

Rookie Year: 2000
tiffany34990 has a reputation beyond reputetiffany34990 has a reputation beyond reputetiffany34990 has a reputation beyond reputetiffany34990 has a reputation beyond reputetiffany34990 has a reputation beyond reputetiffany34990 has a reputation beyond reputetiffany34990 has a reputation beyond reputetiffany34990 has a reputation beyond reputetiffany34990 has a reputation beyond reputetiffany34990 has a reputation beyond reputetiffany34990 has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to tiffany34990

i agree with the contacts...here in Florida and any place warm..no more fogging up...

paper clips and post its....boy do those both come in handy...

in my dorm room i find it easy to every Sunday..put 7 trash bags or layered x amount up...so i don't have to spend a few minutes every time opening a new trash bag every day to replace it... just a few minutes one day.. well it makes my life easier...
and instead of using the shoe rack that hangs down in my closet..(well i don't have that many shoes..I'm not a girl that loves to keep buying shoes)... i manage to put more odds and ends in there... like my safely glasses, blow dryer...and other random odds and ends...

Billfred is right...when you are stuck in a dorm room..you find ways to make more space for more important things... (i have to though thankful I'm lucky..I'm in a decent size dorm)
  #6   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 10-24-2005, 03:44 PM
no team
Team Role: Engineer

KenWittlief has a reputation beyond reputeKenWittlief has a reputation beyond reputeKenWittlief has a reputation beyond reputeKenWittlief has a reputation beyond reputeKenWittlief has a reputation beyond reputeKenWittlief has a reputation beyond reputeKenWittlief has a reputation beyond reputeKenWittlief has a reputation beyond reputeKenWittlief has a reputation beyond reputeKenWittlief has a reputation beyond reputeKenWittlief has a reputation beyond repute

Socks! that reminds me of another one:

Every six months or so buy a dozen pairs of socks, and get all the same kind, and the same color, and throw your old ones out

that way you never spend any time sorting them or matching up pairs, any two of the 24 socks you grab from your drawer are always a pair :^)
  #7   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 10-24-2005, 05:33 PM
Survived year 1–year 2 comes quick!
AKA: @WmLeverette, @GarnetSq, @SCRIW...
FRC #4901 (Garnet Squadron); FLL #7016/7017 (Garnet Squadron Alfa/Bravo)

Billfred has a reputation beyond reputeBillfred has a reputation beyond reputeBillfred has a reputation beyond reputeBillfred has a reputation beyond reputeBillfred has a reputation beyond reputeBillfred has a reputation beyond reputeBillfred has a reputation beyond reputeBillfred has a reputation beyond reputeBillfred has a reputation beyond reputeBillfred has a reputation beyond reputeBillfred has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by KenWittlief
Socks! that reminds me of another one:

Every six months or so buy a dozen pairs of socks, and get all the same kind, and the same color, and throw your old ones out

that way you never spend any time sorting them or matching up pairs, any two of the 24 socks you grab from your drawer are always a pair :^)
I've toyed with this exact scheme in the past. However, it seems like a waste to throw out perfectly good socks. (Not that I'm a packrat or anything--once they're worn through, they hit the round file.)
Billfred's World Tour: USC Kickoff Palmetto CMP Robot Rodeo Manchester Kickoff Florida Palmetto CMP Capital Clash USC Kickoff FVC Orangeburg Florida Peachtree Palmetto CMP Mission Mayhem Exploding Bacon Vex Event Duel on the Delaware CalGames USC Kickoff Florida Chesapeake Palmetto CMP BattleCry Mission Mayhem Brunswick Eruption 6 Clemson Kickoff Chesapeake Palmetto CMP IRI TNT Greenville Tech Scrimmage Bayou Palmetto CMP IRI GRITS TNT Bayou Palmetto CMP IRI Citadel Kickoff Peachtree Palmetto CMP IRI TNT SCRIW Citadel Kickoff Peachtree Palmetto Championship IRI SCRIW II Chapin Kickoff Palmetto South Florida IRI SCRIW III Chapin Kickoff SC FTC CMP Palmetto SC FLL CMP Orlando CMP Midknight Mayhem SCRIW IV (51,569.9 miles, and still on a mission from Bob)

Rule #1: Do not die. Rule #2: Be respectful. Rule #3: Be safe. Rule #4: Follow the handbook.
  #8   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 10-24-2005, 06:19 PM
no team
Team Role: Mechanical

kayla13 has a reputation beyond reputekayla13 has a reputation beyond reputekayla13 has a reputation beyond reputekayla13 has a reputation beyond reputekayla13 has a reputation beyond reputekayla13 has a reputation beyond reputekayla13 has a reputation beyond reputekayla13 has a reputation beyond reputekayla13 has a reputation beyond reputekayla13 has a reputation beyond reputekayla13 has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to kayla13 Send a message via MSN to kayla13

post its stickies- que cards.... watches, calculators my mini screwdriver that I use at dance for my tap shoes um yeah
I think so many people take for granted how simple things can really help us in life. Out at my cottage we like have nothing limited power almost no hot water all the simple thigns are gone. For about the first week of being out there it is insane getting used to it but after awhile I know this may sound gross but showers are useless if you are in the lake or in the bush all the time. I mean I showered and stuff but more or less it was like take shower then five minutes later I am covered in stuff.... dropping things that are just like natural use totally throws me off though.

Do not I repeat do not take for granted how much stuff you have whether simple or not, it makes a big difference. Take the items away and it is amazing the output.

-kayla
  #9   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 10-24-2005, 06:23 PM
Iraq is fun.
AKA: Brad Cahn
no team (Robobees 836)

Rookie Year: 2003
Bcahn836 has a reputation beyond reputeBcahn836 has a reputation beyond reputeBcahn836 has a reputation beyond reputeBcahn836 has a reputation beyond reputeBcahn836 has a reputation beyond reputeBcahn836 has a reputation beyond reputeBcahn836 has a reputation beyond reputeBcahn836 has a reputation beyond reputeBcahn836 has a reputation beyond reputeBcahn836 has a reputation beyond reputeBcahn836 has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Bcahn836 Send a message via Yahoo to Bcahn836

ABS, cruise control, keyless entry.
  #10   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 10-24-2005, 07:13 PM
Reject False Icons
no team

Rookie Year: 2001
Joe Matt has a reputation beyond reputeJoe Matt has a reputation beyond reputeJoe Matt has a reputation beyond reputeJoe Matt has a reputation beyond reputeJoe Matt has a reputation beyond reputeJoe Matt has a reputation beyond reputeJoe Matt has a reputation beyond reputeJoe Matt has a reputation beyond reputeJoe Matt has a reputation beyond reputeJoe Matt has a reputation beyond reputeJoe Matt has a reputation beyond repute

Expose on my Mac. Trust me, it's priceless for those who switch applications a lot. I set it up to be my top left and right corners of my screen.
  #11   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 10-24-2005, 08:48 PM
DC Robotics
FRC #2914 (Tiger Pride)

Rookie Year: 1999
Wetzel has a reputation beyond reputeWetzel has a reputation beyond reputeWetzel has a reputation beyond reputeWetzel has a reputation beyond reputeWetzel has a reputation beyond reputeWetzel has a reputation beyond reputeWetzel has a reputation beyond reputeWetzel has a reputation beyond reputeWetzel has a reputation beyond reputeWetzel has a reputation beyond reputeWetzel has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Wetzel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billfred
(tip: pair up your socks when you take them out of the dryer--you'll thank me when it's ten minutes before class and you can just grab a pair as opposed to hunting)
I eliminated that step and don't wear shoes.

I hibernate my laptop so it pops up in ~30 seconds and use that in class for notes. I can type faster than I can write and I don't have to try and decipher my handwriting. Going back over and spell checking makes an easy and effective study tool. I use wordpad because Word has too much bloat and takes too long to load.

Wetzel
  #12   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 10-24-2005, 11:02 PM
falling can be fun
AKA: Heidi Foster
FRC #0116 (Epsilon Delta)

MissInformation has a reputation beyond reputeMissInformation has a reputation beyond reputeMissInformation has a reputation beyond reputeMissInformation has a reputation beyond reputeMissInformation has a reputation beyond reputeMissInformation has a reputation beyond reputeMissInformation has a reputation beyond reputeMissInformation has a reputation beyond reputeMissInformation has a reputation beyond reputeMissInformation has a reputation beyond reputeMissInformation has a reputation beyond repute

A curling iron is just right for putting a crease in pants legs.

I have a couple of extra alarm clocks that I set to remind myself to do certain things, such as taking pills and vitamins.

And one simple thing that has made my life so much better is the heated mattress pad on the bed. One side of the bed can be turned on but not the other, which is perfect when one person is always cold and the other is always hot. And an extra bonus is that it divides the bed perfectly in half, which ends all of the battles of who's on whose side. Best invention ever!

Heidi
  #13   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 10-24-2005, 11:14 PM
Electrical Engineer
AKA: Phil Baltar
FRC #1351
Team Role: College Student

sciguy125 has a reputation beyond reputesciguy125 has a reputation beyond reputesciguy125 has a reputation beyond reputesciguy125 has a reputation beyond reputesciguy125 has a reputation beyond reputesciguy125 has a reputation beyond reputesciguy125 has a reputation beyond reputesciguy125 has a reputation beyond reputesciguy125 has a reputation beyond reputesciguy125 has a reputation beyond reputesciguy125 has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to sciguy125 Send a message via MSN to sciguy125 Send a message via Yahoo to sciguy125

Um...the wheel...

-----BEGIN GEEK CODE BLOCK-----
Version: 3.12
GE/S/P a-- e y-- r-- s:++ d+ h! X+++
t++ C+ P+ L++ E W++ w M-- V? PS+ PE+
5- R-- tv+ b+ DI+++ D- G
------END GEEK CODE BLOCK------
  #14   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 10-24-2005, 11:41 PM
its spelled *ya'll*, not *y'all*
AKA: Roger Riquelme
FRC #3259 (Thoroughbots)
Team Role: Teacher

RogerR has a reputation beyond reputeRogerR has a reputation beyond reputeRogerR has a reputation beyond reputeRogerR has a reputation beyond reputeRogerR has a reputation beyond reputeRogerR has a reputation beyond reputeRogerR has a reputation beyond reputeRogerR has a reputation beyond reputeRogerR has a reputation beyond reputeRogerR has a reputation beyond reputeRogerR has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to RogerR Send a message via MSN to RogerR

i found an abrasive impregnated brush that fits into my cordless drill/driver at the local hardware store. i believe that it is intended to remove old paint, but with the proper cleaning solution, it'll do a number on anything from dishes to bathrooms (obviously, i use a separate one for these two applications). not only does it cut my cleaning time in half, but i've found that housework is more fun with power tools.

"But to say that the race is a metaphor for life is to miss the point. The race is everything. It obliterates whatever isn't racing. Life is a metaphor for the race." -- Donald Antrim
  #15   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 10-25-2005, 05:16 AM
Iraq is fun.
AKA: Brad Cahn
no team (Robobees 836)

Rookie Year: 2003
Bcahn836 has a reputation beyond reputeBcahn836 has a reputation beyond reputeBcahn836 has a reputation beyond reputeBcahn836 has a reputation beyond reputeBcahn836 has a reputation beyond reputeBcahn836 has a reputation beyond reputeBcahn836 has a reputation beyond reputeBcahn836 has a reputation beyond reputeBcahn836 has a reputation beyond reputeBcahn836 has a reputation beyond reputeBcahn836 has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Bcahn836 Send a message via Yahoo to Bcahn836

Break away key chain. Ok on my key ring i have this little keychain that breaks apart when the ends are pushed together but only when they are pushed together so it won't break on accident. I have my keyless entry pad on that break away so I can leave my vehicle running and lock the doors while i am say waiting for the vehicle to warm up. That has been a great help.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: