OCCRA
Go to Post Has anybody seen our programmer? He was last sighted walking southbound in the rain, his laptop tucked under his arm, grumbling to himself. - Taylor [more]
Home
Go Back   Chief Delphi > Technical > Programming
CD-Events   CD-Media   CD-Spy   FRC-Spy  
portal register members calendar search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ rules

Closed Thread

#1   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 12-20-2005, 02:03 PM
has common ground with Matt Krass
AKA: Mike Sorrenti
FRC #0237 (Sie-H2O-Bots (See-Hoe-Bots) [T.R.I.B.E.])
Team Role: Programmer

Rookie Year: 2004
Mike has a reputation beyond reputeMike has a reputation beyond reputeMike has a reputation beyond reputeMike has a reputation beyond reputeMike has a reputation beyond reputeMike has a reputation beyond reputeMike has a reputation beyond reputeMike has a reputation beyond reputeMike has a reputation beyond reputeMike has a reputation beyond reputeMike has a reputation beyond repute
How to ask a question

Well, the new season is coming and there are going to be an abundance of new threads started asking questions. Here is some info that you should provide that may help people answer your questions:

Detailed description of what is happening that shouldn't be.
Instead of saying "The robot doesn't work when I run code X." Compare what IS happening, to what SHOULD be happening.
eg: The robot's arm is moving to the third position when it should be lowering.

Well commented, understandable code
This should be your normal coding style, but if not please revise the sections of code that you post. We didn't write the code, so we have no idea what you are attempting to accomplish with a certain line.

Hardware setup
Is your left side of the drive train connected to PWM port 1? Is the arm potentiometer connected on analog 1 or 2? All of this needs to be specified.

Feel free to add onto this post.
  #2   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 12-20-2005, 03:32 PM
SAE Formula is FIRST with Gasoline.
FRC #0306 (CRT)
Team Role: Alumni

Andrew Blair has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Blair has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Blair has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Blair has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Blair has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Blair has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Blair has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Blair has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Blair has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Blair has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Blair has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Andrew Blair Send a message via Yahoo to Andrew Blair
Re: How to ask a question

I agree with what you said completely, and would like to thread expand this a little more broadly past programming.

Heres a good tip, supplementing what Mike already said: Give examples, examples, and more examples! All too often ( I've done it, I should know) there are posts and threads that go "how do I do this"? How should I lift the tetra? Should I use wheels or tracks? All very good questions, but a bit too general, with no other info. Say for example,

"How are teams holding on to the tetra? We have a spear design that works alright, but what would you suggest as an alternate design?"

Oh, and specific thread titles. Instead of "why is this stuck?", title it " Fisher Price Gearbox Binding" Just helps with some confusion entering the thread.

These tips are all over the place, but Maybe not in one, question asking thread. Does anyone have a link?

"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius -- and a lot of courage -- to move in the opposite direction."
-Albert Einstein
  #3   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 12-21-2005, 09:40 AM
Registered Linux User: 390661
AKA: Alex
FRC #0422
Team Role: Mentor

Cuog has a reputation beyond reputeCuog has a reputation beyond reputeCuog has a reputation beyond reputeCuog has a reputation beyond reputeCuog has a reputation beyond reputeCuog has a reputation beyond reputeCuog has a reputation beyond reputeCuog has a reputation beyond reputeCuog has a reputation beyond reputeCuog has a reputation beyond reputeCuog has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Cuog Send a message via Skype™ to Cuog

I would like to add that under the readable code act of Yesterday 03:03 PM that variables and classes are easily identified, when looking at your code i dont know the difference between what x, y, z and asdet all mean give varibles meaning,

Also try to space code out if there is a block of code that is an algorithm(sp?) or accomplishes a particular purpose, double space above and below it(comments are great too) and single space inside the block that makes the outside readers life much easier

In addition when you are here for a problem try to give a timeline of what you have tried and how it has worked

ex: I changed this equation to calculate arm positition so that it should move right and now its even less accurate

Thanks,
Cuog

Join us in FIRSTchat
IRC: irc.freenode.net #firstchat
  #4   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-17-2006, 09:41 AM

Mike has a reputation beyond reputeMike has a reputation beyond reputeMike has a reputation beyond reputeMike has a reputation beyond reputeMike has a reputation beyond reputeMike has a reputation beyond reputeMike has a reputation beyond reputeMike has a reputation beyond reputeMike has a reputation beyond reputeMike has a reputation beyond reputeMike has a reputation beyond repute

Spelling and Grammar
We aren't asking for much here. Theres no need for your post to read like a 16th century Shakespearean sonnet. Just some basic spelling and grammar. An example:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bad
Hei,
our program teams desined a custommly made analog 2 digi converting system. but the refrence voltage dosn't always stay the same, wich makes us take bad readngs. plz hlp.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Good
Hello all,
Our programming team has recently made a customized version of the Analog to Digital Converter. However, as the battery dies down the reference voltage changes... which causes inaccurate readings. Has any other team overcome this obstacle? Thanks.
  #5   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-29-2006, 10:27 PM
Finally An Engineer
FRC #3280
Team Role: Engineer

Rookie Year: 2005
JamesBrown has a reputation beyond reputeJamesBrown has a reputation beyond reputeJamesBrown has a reputation beyond reputeJamesBrown has a reputation beyond reputeJamesBrown has a reputation beyond reputeJamesBrown has a reputation beyond reputeJamesBrown has a reputation beyond reputeJamesBrown has a reputation beyond reputeJamesBrown has a reputation beyond reputeJamesBrown has a reputation beyond reputeJamesBrown has a reputation beyond repute

If you call a function from some where else in your code be sure to post it to. It is impossible to find an error that relates to "do_this_now(do_it_when, Do_it_how)" if we dont know what that function is. Also even though the function may compile fine there is no gauruntee that it isn't what is causing a problem.

If the problem is a compiling error copy and paste the error straight from mplab, it is very difficult to find out why the code wont compile if all you tell us is "It says something about something being called twice"

Also while Mike said "Theres no need for your post to read like a 16th century Shakespearean sonnet" I would be impressed if you did post in the form of a sonnet (even more so if you could code in sonnet form).

3594 (2011)
3280 (2010)
1665 (2009)
1350 (2008-2009)
1493 (2007-2008)
1568 (2005-2007)
  #6   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-29-2006, 11:19 PM
AKA: Eric
FRC #1425 (Error Code Xero)

SoftwareBug2.0 is a jewel in the roughSoftwareBug2.0 is a jewel in the roughSoftwareBug2.0 is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesBrown
Also while Mike said "Theres no need for your post to read like a 16th century Shakespearean sonnet" I would be impressed if you did post in the form of a sonnet (even more so if you could code in sonnet form).
Maybe we should have a contest that runs from ship date to nationals to do exactly that.
  #7   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-30-2006, 06:47 PM
An inspired alumnus
AKA: Jamie Bliss
no team (previously 904 (D-cubed) and 1227 (Techno-Gremlins))
Team Role: Alumni

Astronouth7303 has much to be proud ofAstronouth7303 has much to be proud ofAstronouth7303 has much to be proud ofAstronouth7303 has much to be proud ofAstronouth7303 has much to be proud ofAstronouth7303 has much to be proud ofAstronouth7303 has much to be proud ofAstronouth7303 has much to be proud ofAstronouth7303 has much to be proud ofAstronouth7303 has much to be proud of
Send a message via ICQ to Astronouth7303 Send a message via AIM to Astronouth7303 Send a message via MSN to Astronouth7303 Send a message via Yahoo to Astronouth7303
Cool Re: How to ask a question

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoftwareBug2.0
Maybe we should have a contest that runs from ship date to nationals to do exactly that.
Might even qualify for the IOCCC!
  #8   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-25-2006, 08:41 PM

Heh, cool little thing I found that relates to the whole sonnet thing. It's called the Shakespeare Programming Language and is a language that is designed so when you write programs, they look like plays.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shakesp...mming_language
  #9   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 07-20-2006, 05:31 PM
Unregistered User
AKA: Kevin Forbes
FRC #4183 (Bit Buckets)
Team Role: College Student

Rookie Year: 2006
TheOtherGuy has a reputation beyond reputeTheOtherGuy has a reputation beyond reputeTheOtherGuy has a reputation beyond reputeTheOtherGuy has a reputation beyond reputeTheOtherGuy has a reputation beyond reputeTheOtherGuy has a reputation beyond reputeTheOtherGuy has a reputation beyond reputeTheOtherGuy has a reputation beyond reputeTheOtherGuy has a reputation beyond reputeTheOtherGuy has a reputation beyond reputeTheOtherGuy has a reputation beyond repute

Hello all,

I know I'm kindof new to programming, but it might help if when you are showing people your code, you could point out the problem with a different color.

ex.
Code:
blah blah blah
blah blah
blah blah blah
blah blah
blah blah
and if you are responding to someone's problem with code that you fixed you could do the same thing.
  #10   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 07-20-2006, 11:54 PM
Software Architect
FRC #0045 (TechnoKats)

Alan Anderson has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Anderson has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Anderson has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Anderson has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Anderson has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Anderson has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Anderson has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Anderson has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Anderson has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Anderson has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Anderson has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Alan Anderson

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOtherGuy
I know I'm kindof new to programming, but it might help if when you are showing people your code, you could point out the problem with a different color.
That could be less useful than you think. If you can correctly identify where the problem is, you can probably fix it. The trouble is that, most of the time, the problem is that the person trying to make the program work doesn't know where the problem is.
  #11   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 02-03-2008, 06:29 PM
Vice-President, SCOE Robotics
AKA: Nicholas Iannone
no team (SCOE Robotics)

Rookie Year: 2008
ShotgunNinja is a jewel in the roughShotgunNinja is a jewel in the roughShotgunNinja is a jewel in the roughShotgunNinja is a jewel in the rough

Also, wouldn't it help to actually tell the person what IDE they are using (MPLAB, ROBOTC, EasyC ) or, if they aren't using any, then say that.

2006-2007: My FIRST Experience - School Mascot for Team 1652 at the Wisconsin Regional
2007-2008: FIRST Year on the Team and already in Overdrive - Programmer for Team 1652 (Robot Mafia) at the Wisconsin Regional - Finalists
2008-2009: Senior Year is Lunacy! - Lead Programmer on Team 1652 (Robot Mafia) - Midwest Regional (Semifinalists), Milwaukee Regional (4th Seed) AND Rookie Team 2970 (eSchool eBots) - Milwaukee Regional (3rd Seed, Finalists), Minneapolis North Star Regional (5th Seed, Winners, Rookie All-Star winners), Championship Newton (7th Seed, Semifinalists)
2009-2010: To be continued... as a Mentor?

I still have the original 2007-2008 FIRST IR sensor prototype. It's sitting on my bookshelf.
Closed Thread

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: