Go to Post So I usually end up looking pensive or confused. :) - Karthik [more]
Home
Go Back   Chief Delphi > FIRST > Rumor Mill
CD-Events   CD-Media   CD-Spy   FRC-Spy  
portal register members calendar search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ rules

#1   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 12-15-2009, 06:09 AM
A Dreamer
AKA: Michael Presman
FRC #3088 (Kill-O-Bites)
Team Role: Alumni

Rookie Year: 2009
MikePres has much to be proud ofMikePres has much to be proud ofMikePres has much to be proud ofMikePres has much to be proud ofMikePres has much to be proud ofMikePres has much to be proud ofMikePres has much to be proud ofMikePres has much to be proud ofMikePres has much to be proud of
Send a message via ICQ to MikePres Send a message via MSN to MikePres Send a message via Skype™ to MikePres
Tic-Tac-Toe Idea

So I've been doing some research in the last few days about past FRC games (I'm bored in my Hanukkah vacation, can you blame me?), watched all the animations from the recent years, and noticed that the GDC has an affection for designing games with putting game pieces in rows.

Then I remembered Bill said something about "levels" in his last post (http://frcdirector.blogspot.com/2009...nderland.html).

Thus, an idea was born!:
What if the 2010 game is a giant tic-tac-toc, with levels and all. Imagine, in the middle of the field, a construction like this: (see how bored i am?)
In this game, robots need to make rows by placing game pieces in the squares. the lower or the side-ish the squre - the easier it is to put or remove a game piece. Of course the higher the spot - the greater the score.
And how is that connected to the other "clue?"s ? well, i have no idea but i'm sure your minds can think of something XD.

I say, let's cancel the GDC and let the Chief Delphi community design our future games! face it - we're more creative^^.

2010 Captain of...
Kill-O-Bites (#3088) - Crazy Enough to Work!
2009 Israel Regional Rookie Inspiration Award! =D
2010 Israel Regional Semi-Finalists and Coopertition Award! ^^
the first team ever to lose due to a coin-toss in the semis ^^"
Visit us: | our site (explorer only) | Blogger | twitter | YouTube | Facebook| FIRSTwiki | kob3088@gmail.com |
  #2   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 12-15-2009, 08:21 AM
New year, new team
FRC #1197 (Torbots)
Team Role: Engineer

Rookie Year: 2003
EricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to EricH
Re: Tic-Tac-Toe Idea

2005 was Tic-Tac-Toe.

As for having CD design the games, I'm sure the GDC has enough ideas from the "YOU Design the 20XX Game" threads to last a few years...
2012: FRC4046 Schroedinger's Dragons

Read the rules and make a picklist before thinking about winning a competition.
  #3   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 12-15-2009, 03:05 PM
A Dreamer
AKA: Michael Presman
FRC #3088 (Kill-O-Bites)
Team Role: Alumni

MikePres has much to be proud ofMikePres has much to be proud ofMikePres has much to be proud ofMikePres has much to be proud ofMikePres has much to be proud ofMikePres has much to be proud ofMikePres has much to be proud ofMikePres has much to be proud ofMikePres has much to be proud of
Send a message via ICQ to MikePres Send a message via MSN to MikePres Send a message via Skype™ to MikePres

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricH View Post
2005 was Tic-Tac-Toe.

As for having CD design the games, I'm sure the GDC has enough ideas from the "YOU Design the 20XX Game" threads to last a few years...
2005 was a different kind of Tic-Tac-Toe... this idea is a combination between 2005 (that was on ground TTT) and 2007 (that was random rows in air)...

god i hope the GDC guys aren't looking at this and saying "they're on to us! quick! re-design the whole thing!" or worse... "quick! stash this idea for future usage!".

2010 Captain of...
Kill-O-Bites (#3088) - Crazy Enough to Work!
2009 Israel Regional Rookie Inspiration Award! =D
2010 Israel Regional Semi-Finalists and Coopertition Award! ^^
the first team ever to lose due to a coin-toss in the semis ^^"
Visit us: | our site (explorer only) | Blogger | twitter | YouTube | Facebook| FIRSTwiki | kob3088@gmail.com |
  #4   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 12-15-2009, 03:09 PM
The CAD Guy
no team

Rion Atkinson has a reputation beyond reputeRion Atkinson has a reputation beyond reputeRion Atkinson has a reputation beyond reputeRion Atkinson has a reputation beyond reputeRion Atkinson has a reputation beyond reputeRion Atkinson has a reputation beyond reputeRion Atkinson has a reputation beyond reputeRion Atkinson has a reputation beyond reputeRion Atkinson has a reputation beyond reputeRion Atkinson has a reputation beyond reputeRion Atkinson has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikePres View Post
It's our game, we can do ANYTHING! XD (*evil laugh*)
<OffTopic>I totally just heard the reading rainbow theme song.. <OffTopis>

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikePres View Post
2005 was a different kind of Tic-Tac-Toe... this idea is a combination between 2005 (that was on ground TTT) and 2007 (that was random rows in air)...

god i hope the GDC guys aren't looking at this and saying "they're on to us! quick! re-design the whole thing!" or worse... "quick! stash this idea for future usage!".
Actually... Stashing wouldn't be to bad.. Cause we all know that people are already thinking of ways to solve the game you have designed.. So we have a head start!
  #5   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 12-15-2009, 04:02 PM
AKA: Jason
FRC #1766 (Temper Metal)
Team Role: Mentor

Rookie Year: 2006
Molten has a reputation beyond reputeMolten has a reputation beyond reputeMolten has a reputation beyond reputeMolten has a reputation beyond reputeMolten has a reputation beyond reputeMolten has a reputation beyond reputeMolten has a reputation beyond reputeMolten has a reputation beyond reputeMolten has a reputation beyond reputeMolten has a reputation beyond reputeMolten has a reputation beyond repute

Or...three robots to an alliance and we must climb into the different compartments. Each time the opposing alliance blocks, you have to rework yourself to get your three robots in a row. It'd be hard, but perhaps with some ramps or something to permit easier climbing it could be doable. The hard part would be judging if nobody got three in a row in the time allotted. Perhaps a point for each time you get 2 in a row and 20 points if you get three due to the difficulty to actually get three.

One way to make it even more fun would be for each alliance to only be able to see whats happening on their side except for when the robot actually fills a spot. Could be done with some polarized glass and some flaps to enter a box.

So...am I evil enough to join the GDC yet?

"They can break your cookie, but... you'll always have your fortune."-T.W. Turtle, Cats Don't Dance

"Tell my tale to those who ask. Tell it truly - the ill deeds along with the good, and let me be judged accordingly. The rest... is silence."-Dinobot, Beast Wars

"Though the first step is the hardest and the last step ends the quest, the long steps in between are certainly the best."
–Gruffi Gummi, Disney's Adventures of the Gummi Bears
  #6   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 12-15-2009, 04:38 PM
The CAD Guy
no team

Rion Atkinson has a reputation beyond reputeRion Atkinson has a reputation beyond reputeRion Atkinson has a reputation beyond reputeRion Atkinson has a reputation beyond reputeRion Atkinson has a reputation beyond reputeRion Atkinson has a reputation beyond reputeRion Atkinson has a reputation beyond reputeRion Atkinson has a reputation beyond reputeRion Atkinson has a reputation beyond reputeRion Atkinson has a reputation beyond reputeRion Atkinson has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Molten View Post
So...am I evil enough to join the GDC yet?
Evil? Yes. Evil enough, no. Evil enough would actually be to allow the robots to be physically knocked off. Or forget the ramps.. That would be a challenge. Which is what this is about.

Someone has stated that the game tend to go off of real world problems. Climbing straight up the sides of craters it real world..
  #7   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 12-15-2009, 04:52 PM
6 events this season?
FRC #0125 (EWCP)

Rookie Year: 2000
Andrew Schreiber has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Schreiber has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Schreiber has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Schreiber has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Schreiber has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Schreiber has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Schreiber has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Schreiber has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Schreiber has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Schreiber has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Schreiber has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Formerly Famous View Post
Evil? Yes. Evil enough, no. Evil enough would actually be to allow the robots to be physically knocked off. Or forget the ramps.. That would be a challenge. Which is what this is about.

Someone has stated that the game tend to go off of real world problems. Climbing straight up the sides of craters it real world..
Hey, why would letting robots be knocked off be evil, teams need to build robust machines. This may not be Battlebots but it sure isn't Pretty Pretty Princess Bots. From a spectator viewpoint having robots climb sheer walls only to engage in a little KOTH is exciting. Fine, you can have bumpers on the ground around the Board so nothing gets completely trashed but they can't be level, make teams really work to get up into the boxes.

Is that almost GDC evil?

Planning to top a 4 banner year...
  #8   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 12-15-2009, 05:03 PM
The CAD Guy
no team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Schreiber View Post
Hey, why would letting robots be knocked off be evil, teams need to build robust machines. This may not be Battlebots but it sure isn't Pretty Pretty Princess Bots. From a spectator viewpoint having robots climb sheer walls only to engage in a little KOTH is exciting. Fine, you can have bumpers on the ground around the Board so nothing gets completely trashed but they can't be level, make teams really work to get up into the boxes.

Is that almost GDC evil?
We are getting there... Maybe another 20 posts of improvement? ( Come on guys. Lets apply the Engineering Process to this. Revise and Redesign it! )

Maybe some small spikes? Not large enough to do true damage.. But enough to scare them?
  #9   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 12-15-2009, 05:07 PM
6 events this season?
FRC #0125 (EWCP)

Andrew Schreiber has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Schreiber has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Schreiber has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Schreiber has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Schreiber has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Schreiber has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Schreiber has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Schreiber has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Schreiber has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Schreiber has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Schreiber has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Formerly Famous View Post
We are getting there... Maybe another 20 posts of improvement? ( Come on guys. Lets apply the Engineering Process to this. Revise and Redesign it! )

Maybe some small spikes? Not large enough to do true damage.. But enough to scare them?
Well, they wouldn't have to be spikes, just something to make the ground harder to traverse quickly.

#10   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 12-15-2009, 05:16 PM
The CAD Guy
no team

Quote:
Well, they wouldn't have to be spikes, just something to make the ground harder to traverse quickly.
That works too, spikes are so much more intimidating though..
  #11   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 12-15-2009, 05:30 PM
New year, new team
FRC #1197 (Torbots)

EricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to EricH

Vertical pool noodles on the floor. Some may have metal bars inside; which ones is random. First you have to get there, then you have to climb up--and no, you still can't attach to the ceiling. Attaching to other robots is also verboten, though climbing onto alliance partners is a legitimate strategy. Start on the floor, though--oh, and you're starting on your opponent's end of the field, with screens in place to make vision spotty at best.

Oh, and I forgot about the water. At 30 seconds left in the match, the field gets about 1-2 inches of water, making it harder to get back to the bonus point area on your end. (Why only that much? It's a lot easier to waterproof 2-3 inches of field than the whole thing.)
2012: FRC4046 Schroedinger's Dragons

Read the rules and make a picklist before thinking about winning a competition.
  #12   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 12-15-2009, 08:01 PM
Curmudgeon
FRC #0116 (Epsilon Delta)

Rookie Year: 1996
dlavery has a reputation beyond reputedlavery has a reputation beyond reputedlavery has a reputation beyond reputedlavery has a reputation beyond reputedlavery has a reputation beyond reputedlavery has a reputation beyond reputedlavery has a reputation beyond reputedlavery has a reputation beyond reputedlavery has a reputation beyond reputedlavery has a reputation beyond reputedlavery has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:

Is that almost GDC evil?
For the whole idea? No, not yet.

But the "Pretty Pretty Princess Bots" concept? Absolutely brilliant. Definitely keeping that one in the "we gotta do this" file.

-dave

-
"I know what you're thinking, punk," hissed Wordy Harry to his new editor, "you're thinking, 'Did he use six superfluous adjectives or only five?' - and to tell the truth, I forgot myself in all this excitement; but being as this is English, the most powerful language in the world, whose subtle nuances will blow your head clean off, you've got to ask yourself one question: 'Do I feel loquacious?' - well do you, punk?"
- Stuart Vasepuru, 2006 Bulwer-Lytton Fiction Contest

My OTHER CAR is still on Mars!!!
  #13   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 12-15-2009, 10:20 PM
Is winter over yet?
FRC #1676 (Pascack PI Oneers)

Rookie Year: 2005
DonRotolo has a reputation beyond reputeDonRotolo has a reputation beyond reputeDonRotolo has a reputation beyond reputeDonRotolo has a reputation beyond reputeDonRotolo has a reputation beyond reputeDonRotolo has a reputation beyond reputeDonRotolo has a reputation beyond reputeDonRotolo has a reputation beyond reputeDonRotolo has a reputation beyond reputeDonRotolo has a reputation beyond reputeDonRotolo has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlavery View Post
Absolutely brilliant.
Oooh, another game hint! I think the field will be brightly lit this year

I am N2IRZ - What's your callsign?
  #14   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 12-15-2009, 11:33 PM
6 events this season?
FRC #0125 (EWCP)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlavery View Post
For the whole idea? No, not yet.

But the "Pretty Pretty Princess Bots" concept? Absolutely brilliant. Definitely keeping that one in the "we gotta do this" file.

-dave

-
Only if drive teams are required to wear point shoes and tiaras.

#15   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 12-16-2009, 10:12 AM
Mad Scientist
AKA: Me
FRC #3694 (Warbotz)

Daniel_LaFleur has a reputation beyond reputeDaniel_LaFleur has a reputation beyond reputeDaniel_LaFleur has a reputation beyond reputeDaniel_LaFleur has a reputation beyond reputeDaniel_LaFleur has a reputation beyond reputeDaniel_LaFleur has a reputation beyond reputeDaniel_LaFleur has a reputation beyond reputeDaniel_LaFleur has a reputation beyond reputeDaniel_LaFleur has a reputation beyond reputeDaniel_LaFleur has a reputation beyond reputeDaniel_LaFleur has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via MSN to Daniel_LaFleur

Quote:
Only if drive teams are required to wear point shoes and tiaras.
... and tutus with fairy wings
To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield. "
- Tennyson, Ulysses

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: