OCCRA
Go to Post FIRST is not all about the competitions. FIRST is about what you learn to get to wherever you got to, whether that be first seed or last. - StephLee [more]
Home
Go Back   Chief Delphi > Technical > Electrical > CAN
CD-Events   CD-Media   CD-Spy   FRC-Spy  
portal register members calendar search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ rules

#1   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-16-2011, 02:58 PM
AKA: Michael Bilinsky
FRC #0296 (The Northern Knights)
Team Role: Mentor

Rookie Year: 2010
NetPlanet is an unknown quantity at this point
1 Encoder, 2 Jaguars

Our team is new to CAN, but would like to use the speed control function using encoders. The chassis team is thinking of using two toughboxes with two motors each, therefore requiring two jaguars each. But the problem is these toughboxes only have one encoder each. How should we wire or program so that each encoder is used by two jaguars?
  #2   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-16-2011, 03:09 PM
systems engineer (retired)
no team

Rookie Year: 1969
Ether has a reputation beyond reputeEther has a reputation beyond reputeEther has a reputation beyond reputeEther has a reputation beyond reputeEther has a reputation beyond reputeEther has a reputation beyond reputeEther has a reputation beyond reputeEther has a reputation beyond reputeEther has a reputation beyond reputeEther has a reputation beyond reputeEther has a reputation beyond repute
Re: 1 Encoder, 2 Jaguars

Quote:
Originally Posted by NetPlanet View Post
Our team is new to CAN, but would like to use the speed control function using encoders. The chassis team is thinking of using two toughboxes with two motors each, therefore requiring two jaguars each. But the problem is these toughboxes only have one encoder each. How should we wire or program so that each encoder is used by two jaguars?
What you don't want to do is try to close the loop on speed with each of the two separate jags/motors controlling the same gearbox. This is not the right way to balance the load on the motors.

Instead, close the loop on speed with one Jag, read how much motor voltage (or current) that Jag is supplying, and feed the other motor the same voltage (or current).

#3   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-16-2011, 03:44 PM
AKA: Michael Bilinsky
FRC #0296 (The Northern Knights)

Rookie Year: 2010
NetPlanet is an unknown quantity at this point

Thank you, we will certainly try this out
  #4   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-16-2011, 10:31 PM
AKA: Bryant
FRC #0346 (Robohawks)

Rookie Year: 2004
drakesword is on a distinguished road

Something along the lines of this . . .

Code:
Jag2.set(Jag1.getOutputVoltage() / Jag1.getBusVoltage()); //For voltage control mode
Jag2.set(Jag1.getOutputCurrent()); //For current control mode
  #5   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-17-2011, 09:09 AM
Joe Ross's Avatar Unsung FIRST Hero
FRC #0330 (Beachbots)
Team Role: Engineer

Rookie Year: 1997
Joe Ross has a reputation beyond reputeJoe Ross has a reputation beyond reputeJoe Ross has a reputation beyond reputeJoe Ross has a reputation beyond reputeJoe Ross has a reputation beyond reputeJoe Ross has a reputation beyond reputeJoe Ross has a reputation beyond reputeJoe Ross has a reputation beyond reputeJoe Ross has a reputation beyond reputeJoe Ross has a reputation beyond reputeJoe Ross has a reputation beyond repute

TI told me that they would consider something to do this automatically for next year.
  #6   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-22-2011, 06:45 PM
i.am.INSPIRED!
AKA: Mr. Lim
FRC #0610 (Crescent Robotics)
Team Role: Engineer

Rookie Year: 1998
Mr. Lim has a reputation beyond reputeMr. Lim has a reputation beyond reputeMr. Lim has a reputation beyond reputeMr. Lim has a reputation beyond reputeMr. Lim has a reputation beyond reputeMr. Lim has a reputation beyond reputeMr. Lim has a reputation beyond reputeMr. Lim has a reputation beyond reputeMr. Lim has a reputation beyond reputeMr. Lim has a reputation beyond reputeMr. Lim has a reputation beyond repute

Just to put my two cents in, we'd definitely like to see this happen as well...

A "slave" Jaguar that automatically mimicks the outputs of a "master" Jaguar would be nice!

In life, what you give, you keep. What you fail to give, you lose forever...
  #7   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-22-2011, 09:44 PM
Test Engineer
AKA: Marshal Horn
FRC #3213 (Thunder Tech)

Rookie Year: 2008
kamocat is just really nicekamocat is just really nicekamocat is just really nicekamocat is just really nicekamocat is just really nice
Send a message via AIM to kamocat Send a message via MSN to kamocat Send a message via Skype™ to kamocat

I was testing this today (driving the slave Jaguar with Vcomp mode), and had little success. The slave motor kept jumping all around. The ramp didn't help.

I think the issue is inaccuracy in the voltage measurement of the Jaguar. The one situation where it worked well was at full power.
Another issue may be bugs in the Vcomp mode.

Perhaps the %Vbus mode will work better.

Last edited by kamocat : 01-22-2011 at 09:46 PM.
  #8   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-22-2011, 10:16 PM
AKA: Scott McMahon
FRC #2468 (Appreciate)

s1900ahon is a glorious beacon of lights1900ahon is a glorious beacon of lights1900ahon is a glorious beacon of lights1900ahon is a glorious beacon of lights1900ahon is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by kamocat View Post
Perhaps the %Vbus mode will work better.
The %Vbus mode is the only one that I would try.
  #9   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-22-2011, 10:22 PM
Test Engineer
FRC #3213 (Thunder Tech)

kamocat is just really nicekamocat is just really nicekamocat is just really nicekamocat is just really nicekamocat is just really nice
Send a message via AIM to kamocat Send a message via MSN to kamocat Send a message via Skype™ to kamocat

Quote:
Originally Posted by s1900ahon View Post
The %Vbus mode is the only one that I would try.
Why is that?

EDIT:
I just tried, but noticed no difference. It's still very jerky on the secondary motors.
Now, understand that in my test, I am not actually putting both motors on the same gearbox. If I did that, I wouldn't be able to see what each motor is actually doing. Instead, I have each motor on an identical gearbox.

Last edited by kamocat : 01-22-2011 at 10:50 PM.
  #10   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-22-2011, 11:35 PM
Test Engineer
FRC #3213 (Thunder Tech)

Here's an interesting graph:

It shows what my speed-mode Jaguars are reporting as their % voltage output, every 20ms.
This corresponds to what I see my secondary motors doing.

The important part here is that the speed mode Jaguars are, in actuality, driving the motors at a constant speed (approximately half of full-speed).

This leads me to believe there is an issue with how Jaguars report their output when they are in internal closed-loop control. They may be reporting what they are doing instantaneously, but that is not a useful value at 50hz.

If this is not remedied, my only option is to wire the quadrature encoder channels to both Jaguars.
  #11   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-23-2011, 12:11 PM
Test Engineer
FRC #3213 (Thunder Tech)

Here's a way to get around the issue of putting two motors on the same transmission:
Use only Tan Jaguars.

The reason is, Tan Jaguars switch between 12v and open (coast) in their switching.
Black Jaguars switch between 12v and 0v (brake).

Thus, if one motor is driving the other faster, they won't conflict; the slower motor will simply coast along.

This means an encoder can be split off and wired to two Tan Jaguars for closed-loop control without issue.
  #12   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 02-09-2011, 05:25 PM
FRC #1829

N1njAgam3R is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by NetPlanet View Post
Our team is trying to do the same thing and we haven't found anything yet, so anything you guys find out would be a huge help!
  #13   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 02-09-2011, 05:49 PM
systems engineer (retired)
no team

Rookie Year: 1969
Ether has a reputation beyond reputeEther has a reputation beyond reputeEther has a reputation beyond reputeEther has a reputation beyond reputeEther has a reputation beyond reputeEther has a reputation beyond reputeEther has a reputation beyond reputeEther has a reputation beyond reputeEther has a reputation beyond reputeEther has a reputation beyond reputeEther has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by N1njAgam3R View Post
Our team is trying to do the same thing and we haven't found anything yet, so anything you guys find out would be a huge help!

check out this other thread:

http://www.chiefdelphi.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=91130

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: