OCCRA
Go to Post Honor is doing the right thing when nobody is watching. - Daniel_LaFleur [more]
Home
Go Back   Chief Delphi > Competition > Championship Event
CD-Events   CD-Media   CD-Spy   FRC-Spy  
portal register members calendar search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ rules

Closed Thread
  #1   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-20-2011, 12:44 AM
Karthik's Avatar Unsung FIRST Hero
VEX Robotics GDC Chairman
FRC #1114 (Simbotics)
Team Role: Mentor

Rookie Year: 1998
Karthik has a reputation beyond reputeKarthik has a reputation beyond reputeKarthik has a reputation beyond reputeKarthik has a reputation beyond reputeKarthik has a reputation beyond reputeKarthik has a reputation beyond reputeKarthik has a reputation beyond reputeKarthik has a reputation beyond reputeKarthik has a reputation beyond reputeKarthik has a reputation beyond reputeKarthik has a reputation beyond repute
Karthik: Effective FIRST Strategies 2011

With the Championships in St. Louis rapidly approaching, I'd like to remind teams of the FIRST Robotics Conference which will be taking place. At 4:00 PM on Wednesday evening, I will once again be delivering my seminar on Effective FIRST Strategies. Here are the threads discussing the last two editions of this seminar:

http://www.chiefdelphi.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=76778
http://www.chiefdelphi.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=84958

And the abstract:

Quote:
This presentation focuses on three major areas, Strategic Design, Match Planning/Execution, and Scouting. Rather than spending time on equations and detailed calculations, the Strategic Design gives a more high-level overview of how to design an FRC robot. This portion of the presentation includes sections on such often neglected strategic design areas such as Game Analysis, Chokehold Strategies, Cost-Benefit Analysis, Task Prioritization, and Tradeoffs using a case studies from past games. The Match Planning/Execution section of the presentation discusses effective habits and strategies that will help lead a team to victory. This is a must for those who enjoy the strategic aspects of FIRST. The Scouting section deals with effective techniques to collect information on your partners/opponents, and how to make the most of this data. Advanced statistical metrics analgous to "Sabremetrics" in baseball will also be discussed. The presentation is filled with entertaining and insightful historical FIRST anecdotes from the past 13 years. With the information in this presentation, you can turn your team from a mere competitor to a perennial powerhouse!
If there are any topics you'd like to discussed in detail, or questions you'd like answered, post them here and I'll be happy to address them during the presentation.

If you're really into FIRST strategy, looking to improve your team, curious what it means to be "fresh to death", or just looking for some good FIRST related laughs, this is a presentation you won't want to miss.

For information on how to register please visit the following link:

http://www.usfirst.org/roboticsprogr....aspx?id=19359
"Enthusiasm is one of the most powerful engines of success. When you do a thing, do it with all your might. Put your whole soul into it. Stamp it with your own personality. Be active, be energetic, be enthusiastic and faithful and you will accomplish your object. Nothing great was ever achieved without enthusiasm" -- R.W. Emerson
My TEDx Talk - The Subtle Secrets of Success
Full disclosure: I work for IFI and VEX Robotics, and am the Chairman of the VEX Robotics and VEX IQ Game Design Committees

Last edited by Karthik : 04-20-2011 at 08:47 AM. Reason: Fixed all sorts crucial mistakes.
  #2   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-20-2011, 01:11 AM
AKA: John Christiansen
FRC #1732 (Hilltoppers)

Rookie Year: 2006
XaulZan11 has a reputation beyond reputeXaulZan11 has a reputation beyond reputeXaulZan11 has a reputation beyond reputeXaulZan11 has a reputation beyond reputeXaulZan11 has a reputation beyond reputeXaulZan11 has a reputation beyond reputeXaulZan11 has a reputation beyond reputeXaulZan11 has a reputation beyond reputeXaulZan11 has a reputation beyond reputeXaulZan11 has a reputation beyond reputeXaulZan11 has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to XaulZan11
Re: Karthik: Effective FIRST Strategies 2010

Is the presentation on Wednesday or Friday. The schedule here says Wednesday at 4:00pm: http://usfirst.org/uploadedFiles/Rob...e_Schedule.pdf I hope its Friday, because I could then attend.
  #3   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-20-2011, 01:17 AM
#8 Alliance For Life
AKA: Sean Lavery
FRC #1712 (DAWGMA)

Rookie Year: 2003
Lil' Lavery has a reputation beyond reputeLil' Lavery has a reputation beyond reputeLil' Lavery has a reputation beyond reputeLil' Lavery has a reputation beyond reputeLil' Lavery has a reputation beyond reputeLil' Lavery has a reputation beyond reputeLil' Lavery has a reputation beyond reputeLil' Lavery has a reputation beyond reputeLil' Lavery has a reputation beyond reputeLil' Lavery has a reputation beyond reputeLil' Lavery has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Lil' Lavery

Hey, Mr. Kanagasabapathy, it's 2011.
  #4   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-20-2011, 08:46 AM
FRC #1114 (Simbotics)

Karthik has a reputation beyond reputeKarthik has a reputation beyond reputeKarthik has a reputation beyond reputeKarthik has a reputation beyond reputeKarthik has a reputation beyond reputeKarthik has a reputation beyond reputeKarthik has a reputation beyond reputeKarthik has a reputation beyond reputeKarthik has a reputation beyond reputeKarthik has a reputation beyond reputeKarthik has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lil' Lavery View Post
Hey, Mr. Kanagasabapathy, it's 2011.
Yup, my bad.

Quote:
Originally Posted by XaulZan11 View Post
Is the presentation on Wednesday or Friday. The schedule here says Wednesday at 4:00pm: http://usfirst.org/uploadedFiles/Rob...e_Schedule.pdf I hope its Friday, because I could then attend.
Yup, my bad x2. The presentation is Wednesday afternoon. Friday at 4:00 pm we should all be busy watching matches and planning our upcoming strategies!
"Enthusiasm is one of the most powerful engines of success. When you do a thing, do it with all your might. Put your whole soul into it. Stamp it with your own personality. Be active, be energetic, be enthusiastic and faithful and you will accomplish your object. Nothing great was ever achieved without enthusiasm" -- R.W. Emerson
Full disclosure: I work for IFI and VEX Robotics, and am the Chairman of the VEX Robotics and VEX IQ Game Design Committees
  #5   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-20-2011, 09:01 AM
FF Pure Mi
AKA: Isaac Rife
no team (N/A)
Team Role: Mechanical

Rookie Year: 2003
IKE has a reputation beyond reputeIKE has a reputation beyond reputeIKE has a reputation beyond reputeIKE has a reputation beyond reputeIKE has a reputation beyond reputeIKE has a reputation beyond reputeIKE has a reputation beyond reputeIKE has a reputation beyond reputeIKE has a reputation beyond reputeIKE has a reputation beyond reputeIKE has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Karthik: Effective FIRST Strategies 2011

I went to this one last year, and highly recommend it for all teams.
If you are a read the rules and start building, this will be a real eye opener.
If you think you know strategy, but find yourselves not making it out of the quarter finals... Pay close attention to all the details.

After attending this seminar, we began looking at the gaps in our team, and it has paid dividends. Thanks again for doing this.
  #6   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-20-2011, 09:11 AM
FRC #2846 (FireBears)

Rookie Year: 2008
topgun has a brilliant futuretopgun has a brilliant futuretopgun has a brilliant futuretopgun has a brilliant futuretopgun has a brilliant futuretopgun has a brilliant futuretopgun has a brilliant futuretopgun has a brilliant futuretopgun has a brilliant futuretopgun has a brilliant futuretopgun has a brilliant future

Will the presentation materials and the video of the presentation be available online for those unable to attend Championships?

#7   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-20-2011, 03:09 PM
Mentor
AKA: Clint Ott
FRC #1730 (Team Driven)
Team Role: College Student

Rookie Year: 2009
Drivencrazy has a spectacular aura aboutDrivencrazy has a spectacular aura aboutDrivencrazy has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Will the presentation materials and the video of the presentation be available online for those unable to attend Championships?
The presentation slides themselves (at least last years) were on the Simbotics website.

Not sure if he will keep all the slides the same or not. I went last year and the things I learned and tried to implement this year helped our team a lot.
  #8   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-20-2011, 04:22 PM
Think twice post once.
AKA: Alan Gilgenbach
FRC #2062 (C.O.R.E. - Community of Robotics Engineers)
Team Role: Team Spirit / Cheering

Rookie Year: 2011
MisterG is an unknown quantity at this point

Karthik - Thanks for all that you put into this sport - it was a real joy to see you in action at Vex Worlds.

I am sorry to be missing Championships this year and doubly sorry that I will miss this presentation. I would be very interested in seeing the updated slides posted online. I will definitely share them with my teams.

-alg
  #9   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-20-2011, 09:55 PM
I live for the details.
FRC #3620 (Average Joes)
Team Role: Engineer

Rookie Year: 1996
Richard Wallace has a reputation beyond reputeRichard Wallace has a reputation beyond reputeRichard Wallace has a reputation beyond reputeRichard Wallace has a reputation beyond reputeRichard Wallace has a reputation beyond reputeRichard Wallace has a reputation beyond reputeRichard Wallace has a reputation beyond reputeRichard Wallace has a reputation beyond reputeRichard Wallace has a reputation beyond reputeRichard Wallace has a reputation beyond reputeRichard Wallace has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by XaulZan11 View Post
Is the presentation on Wednesday or Friday. The schedule here says Wednesday at 4:00pm: http://usfirst.org/uploadedFiles/Rob...e_Schedule.pdf
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karthik View Post
... Yup, my bad x2. The presentation is Wednesday afternoon. Friday at 4:00 pm we should all be busy watching matches and planning our upcoming strategies!
Wednesday at 4:00 is perfect for me -- this is the ONLY workshop I will be able to attend, because volunteer duties conflict with the rest of them. After many years of missing them, I might finally get to attend one of Karthik's presentations!
Mentor since 2002 for FRC 931 Perpetual Chaos (St. Louis, Missouri)
since 2003

I believe in intuition and inspiration. Imagination is more important than knowledge. For knowledge is limited, whereas imagination embraces the entire world, stimulating progress, giving birth to evolution. It is, strictly speaking, a real factor in scientific research.
(Cosmic Religion : With Other Opinions and Aphorisms (1931) by Albert Einstein, p. 97
  #10   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-24-2011, 02:00 PM
FRC #1114 (Simbotics)

Some topics that I'm going to discuss this year that I haven't covered in detail in the past:

- Alliance selection strategy
- Should you have a "Do Not Pick List"
- Showcasing your robot versus playing to win
- What advanced stats can tell you, and what they can't?
- The secret behind the accomplishments of the great teams

I just did a walk through of the presentation, I think everyone who attends is going to have a great time. See you all Wednesday afternoon.
  #11   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-24-2011, 06:53 PM
Ship it!
AKA: Crystal Vongnaphone
FRC #1511 (Rolling Thunder)
Team Role: Leadership

Rookie Year: 2007
Waffles has a brilliant futureWaffles has a brilliant futureWaffles has a brilliant futureWaffles has a brilliant futureWaffles has a brilliant futureWaffles has a brilliant futureWaffles has a brilliant futureWaffles has a brilliant futureWaffles has a brilliant futureWaffles has a brilliant futureWaffles has a brilliant future
Send a message via AIM to Waffles Send a message via MSN to Waffles Send a message via Skype™ to Waffles

I attended this presentation last year, and it was pretty awesome.

1511 loves your contributions to FIRST, Karthik!

We'll send some kids your way!
| Alumni | Leadership | Electrical | Media

Are you a Dean's list Finalist? Join our group!
Get the latest updates & important information on itsthedeanslist!
  #12   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-24-2011, 07:12 PM
Always a Midknight Inventor.
AKA: denim's in the genes.
FRC #1923 (The MidKnight Inventors)

Rookie Year: 1992
Libby K has a reputation beyond reputeLibby K has a reputation beyond reputeLibby K has a reputation beyond reputeLibby K has a reputation beyond reputeLibby K has a reputation beyond reputeLibby K has a reputation beyond reputeLibby K has a reputation beyond reputeLibby K has a reputation beyond reputeLibby K has a reputation beyond reputeLibby K has a reputation beyond reputeLibby K has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karthik View Post
Some topics that I'm going to discuss this year that I haven't covered in detail in the past:

- Alliance selection strategy
- Should you have a "Do Not Pick List"
- Showcasing your robot versus playing to win
- What advanced stats can tell you, and what they can't?
- The secret behind the accomplishments of the great teams

I just did a walk through of the presentation, I think everyone who attends is going to have a great time. See you all Wednesday afternoon.

Also included that was covered in detail in the 2009 seminar:
A discussion on Parisian architecture and/or landmarks.
Founder, Captain, Operator, Regional Champion, & proud Alumni. I will always be a MidKnight Inventor.
Continuing my support from 2010 onward as a mentor & drive coach.

2010 to 2013: 229 Division By Zero and 4124 Integration by Parts
Clarkson University Mentor for FLL/FTC, & Lead Mentor for FRC.

-
questions? comments? concerns? | twitter: @libbyk | about.me/libbykamen
  #13   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-24-2011, 10:09 PM
That Guy
AKA: Phil
no team (Cybersonics)
Team Role: Alumni

Cyberphil has much to be proud ofCyberphil has much to be proud ofCyberphil has much to be proud ofCyberphil has much to be proud ofCyberphil has much to be proud ofCyberphil has much to be proud ofCyberphil has much to be proud ofCyberphil has much to be proud ofCyberphil has much to be proud of
Send a message via AIM to Cyberphil Send a message via Skype™ to Cyberphil

I really wish I could make this. Our team will not let us take a step out of our group, especially on Wednesday, when we will be un-crating and getting the bot ready for inspection. I would do anything to attend this.
  #14   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-24-2011, 10:49 PM
FRC #3492 (RoboGens)

Rookie Year: 2011
LShank is an unknown quantity at this point

How long will the seminar last? I know that our team would really love to attend, especially our mentors. We are a very small 100% Rookie team that could truly benefit from your presentation. Just not sure how it's possible because they will un-crating the robot and working in the pit area.

Our team was chosen to be in an alliance with #1114 in Pittsburgh. It was an amazing experience to work with your team. Being a rookie team, with zero experience or exposure to FIRST until this year, we admired and were in awe of your team from day 1 in Pittsburgh. Then, to be chosen to be in alliance with them and 1503 was a huge surprise to us. We are very thankful for the experience and something we will never forget from our Rookie year. Thank You!
  #15   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-24-2011, 11:26 PM
Team 2175 Founder
AKA: Kevin O'Connor
no team
Team Role: Engineer

Vikesrock has a reputation beyond reputeVikesrock has a reputation beyond reputeVikesrock has a reputation beyond reputeVikesrock has a reputation beyond reputeVikesrock has a reputation beyond reputeVikesrock has a reputation beyond reputeVikesrock has a reputation beyond reputeVikesrock has a reputation beyond reputeVikesrock has a reputation beyond reputeVikesrock has a reputation beyond reputeVikesrock has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Vikesrock Send a message via MSN to Vikesrock Send a message via Yahoo to Vikesrock

Quote:
Originally Posted by LShank View Post
How long will the seminar last? I know that our team would really love to attend, especially our mentors. We are a very small 100% Rookie team that could truly benefit from your presentation. Just not sure how it's possible because they will un-crating the robot and working in the pit area.
It's an hour long from 4:00-5:00, which is before the pits open.

2007 Wisconsin Regional Highest Rookie Seed & Regional Finalists (Thanks 930 & 2039)
2008 MN Regional Semifinalists (Thanks 2472 & 1756)
2009 Northstar Regional Semifinalists (Thanks 171 & 525)
Closed Thread

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: