OCCRA
Go to Post Ah AndyMark and your $2 a piece pool noodles - mlantry [more]
Home
Go Back   Chief Delphi > FIRST > General Forum
CD-Events   CD-Media   CD-Spy   FRC-Spy  
portal register members calendar search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ rules

#1   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 05-11-2011, 06:41 PM
Unsung FIRST Hero
VEX Robotics Engineer
AKA: John Vielkind-Neun
FRC #0148 (Robowranglers)
Team Role: Engineer

Rookie Year: 2000
JVN has a reputation beyond reputeJVN has a reputation beyond reputeJVN has a reputation beyond reputeJVN has a reputation beyond reputeJVN has a reputation beyond reputeJVN has a reputation beyond reputeJVN has a reputation beyond reputeJVN has a reputation beyond reputeJVN has a reputation beyond reputeJVN has a reputation beyond reputeJVN has a reputation beyond repute
JVN Challenge: Post your Designs!

Hi Everyone,
Last fall I posted a challenge to teams to record and post their design process.
Now... I've got another challenge for you...

I'd like to see you post your designs.

Publicly. For everyone to see.
I'm not talking about one grainy camera-phone picture of your robot. I'm not talking about a CAD render of a drivetrain you'll never build.
I'm talking about posting details on robots and mechanisms your team USED in competition.

I started doing this 2 years ago. Ideally I would have done a detailed writeup for each of our robots, but I didn't even take that much effort. All I did was clean up our robot CAD Assembly a little bit, export a STEP file, and throw it up on Chief Delphi. I've been doing this ever since...

FRC148 - 2008 Robot Assembly - "Tumbleweed"
FRC148 - 2009 Robot Assembly - "Tornado"
FRC148 - 2010 Robot Assembly - "Armadillo"
FRC148 - 2011 Robot Assembly - "Raptor"

Now I know not everyone has full robot CAD assemblies. I know not everyone has full designs to share. That doesn't matter -- share whatever you can. Put it up there; someone will appreciate it...

I've been shocked by some of the comments 148 has received since we started publishing our models. The simplest thing can have the biggest impact. I had no idea the small stuff that people would thank us for, the little things that would help bring a designer to the next level.

There is no textbook out there on "how to design an elite FIRST robot." I remember the frustrations I felt when I when I was teaching myself about robot design, the best thing I had was a gallery of pictures on the (now mostly defunct) firstrobotics.net site and a whitepaper from Andy Baker about strapping a servo to a Bosch drill to make it shift. I could only DREAM of seeing details on some of the designs I admired so much.

I thought it was very cool that they made the "Behind the Design" books of 2006 and 2007. It was a neat thing to see teams turning to these for inspiration at the start of this season.
Reusing a design -- not going to help you much.
Reverse engineering then improving? Now THAT is powerful stuff.

I wish we had "Behind the Design" books for every season, but we don't.
We need to share this information in a different way. We need to give budding designers more examples they can re-engineer, because it's going to help them jump to the next level as designers.

Take a few minutes and post some details -- you'll be doing your part to raise the competitive level for all of us. A stronger competition will help fulfill the mission we're all working towards.

All I can think about is the punk kid sitting in his room wondering: "how'd 217's arm work like that? I wish I could get a closer look."
Let the kid take a closer look...

-John
  #2   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 05-11-2011, 06:50 PM
Work harder, do better.
AKA: Pinecone
FRC #2791 (Shaker Robotics) (EWCP)
Team Role: Mentor

Rookie Year: 2006
Chris is me has a reputation beyond reputeChris is me has a reputation beyond reputeChris is me has a reputation beyond reputeChris is me has a reputation beyond reputeChris is me has a reputation beyond reputeChris is me has a reputation beyond reputeChris is me has a reputation beyond reputeChris is me has a reputation beyond reputeChris is me has a reputation beyond reputeChris is me has a reputation beyond reputeChris is me has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Chris is me
Re: JVN Challenge: Post your Designs!

Awesome challenge. I'll get our full CAD up as soon as possible. Until then, our entire season still exists on our blog.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JVN View Post
I wish we had "Behind the Design" books for every season, but we don't.
We need to share this information in a different way. We need to give budding designers more examples they can re-engineer, because it's going to help them jump to the next level as designers.
While it may not be a published book, maybe members of the community could get together and compile a document in the same style and format as "Behind the Design" that could be distributed as a free PDF?

Just an idea. I'd love to help out with such a project if possible.
2013 WPI Regional #1 Seed / Delphi Excellence in Engineering / Finalists (with 20, 3182), BAE Motorola Quality
2012 BAE Imagery / Finalists (with 1519, 885), CT Xerox Creativity / Semifinalists (with 2168, 118)

Proud 1714 Alumnus (2009) - 2009 Minnesota 10,000 Lakes Regional Champions (with 2826, 2470)
2791 Build Season Photo Gallery - Look here for mechanism photos
My Robotics Blog (Updated April 11 2014)
  #3   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 05-11-2011, 07:32 PM
FRC #0525 (Swartdogs)

Rookie Year: 2009
Tom Ore has a reputation beyond reputeTom Ore has a reputation beyond reputeTom Ore has a reputation beyond reputeTom Ore has a reputation beyond reputeTom Ore has a reputation beyond reputeTom Ore has a reputation beyond reputeTom Ore has a reputation beyond reputeTom Ore has a reputation beyond reputeTom Ore has a reputation beyond reputeTom Ore has a reputation beyond reputeTom Ore has a reputation beyond repute

Our design guide has been up on our website since the end of the build. You can find it here:

http://525swartdogs.org/pages/CAD/2011CAD.html

I tried to upload a high resolution version of it to CD-Media but it came up empty - not sure why. I try again in a day or so if it doesn't show up.
  #4   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 05-11-2011, 09:04 PM
Pink flamingo on the lawn of life
AKA: @taylor1529
FRC #1529 (CyberCards)
Team Role: Teacher

Taylor has a reputation beyond reputeTaylor has a reputation beyond reputeTaylor has a reputation beyond reputeTaylor has a reputation beyond reputeTaylor has a reputation beyond reputeTaylor has a reputation beyond reputeTaylor has a reputation beyond reputeTaylor has a reputation beyond reputeTaylor has a reputation beyond reputeTaylor has a reputation beyond reputeTaylor has a reputation beyond repute

I don't harbor any illusions that people are going to knock each other over to see our creation - we were unofficially 5-5-1 at our only 2011 regional - but we're proud of our design, proud of where we're going, and I'm not one to back down from a challenge.
CAD, pics, and a look at our thought process can be found on our blog. Hopefully it can serve as an inspiration to somebody on the simple use of COTS items and a peek into our strategizing, such as it is.

#5   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 05-11-2011, 09:11 PM
Team Leader
FRC #0033 (Killer Bees)

Rookie Year: 1997
Jim Zondag has a reputation beyond reputeJim Zondag has a reputation beyond reputeJim Zondag has a reputation beyond reputeJim Zondag has a reputation beyond reputeJim Zondag has a reputation beyond reputeJim Zondag has a reputation beyond reputeJim Zondag has a reputation beyond reputeJim Zondag has a reputation beyond reputeJim Zondag has a reputation beyond reputeJim Zondag has a reputation beyond reputeJim Zondag has a reputation beyond repute

Challenge Accepted:
Team 33 Buzz16 2011 Robot Design posted here
http://www.chiefdelphi.com/media/papers/2515

Enjoy.
  #6   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 05-11-2011, 10:39 PM
VEX Robotics Engineer
AKA: Arthur Dutra IV; NERD #18
FRC #0148 (Robowranglers)

Rookie Year: 2002
artdutra04 has a reputation beyond reputeartdutra04 has a reputation beyond reputeartdutra04 has a reputation beyond reputeartdutra04 has a reputation beyond reputeartdutra04 has a reputation beyond reputeartdutra04 has a reputation beyond reputeartdutra04 has a reputation beyond reputeartdutra04 has a reputation beyond reputeartdutra04 has a reputation beyond reputeartdutra04 has a reputation beyond reputeartdutra04 has a reputation beyond repute

CAD model has already been posted here: http://www.chiefdelphi.com/media/papers/2486

And dozens of technical photos of the final design are posted here: http://www.team228.org/media/pictures/2011

世上无难事,只怕有心人.
  #7   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 05-11-2011, 10:50 PM
Still hooked on FRC
AKA: Marc Antinossi
FRC #0573 (Mech Warriors)
Team Role: Alumni

Rookie Year: 2010
maverickfan138 is an unknown quantity at this point

http://www.chiefdelphi.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=92753

I originally posted back in February and quite a few things have changed since then, so I added some more photos and explained the changes that were made.

Enjoy!
  #8   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 05-11-2011, 11:17 PM
Currently teamless
no team

Akash Rastogi has a reputation beyond reputeAkash Rastogi has a reputation beyond reputeAkash Rastogi has a reputation beyond reputeAkash Rastogi has a reputation beyond reputeAkash Rastogi has a reputation beyond reputeAkash Rastogi has a reputation beyond reputeAkash Rastogi has a reputation beyond reputeAkash Rastogi has a reputation beyond reputeAkash Rastogi has a reputation beyond reputeAkash Rastogi has a reputation beyond reputeAkash Rastogi has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Ore View Post
Our design guide has been up on our website since the end of the build. You can find it here:

http://525swartdogs.org/pages/CAD/2011CAD.html

I tried to upload a high resolution version of it to CD-Media but it came up empty - not sure why. I try again in a day or so if it doesn't show up.
Quote:
Originally Posted by maverickfan138 View Post
http://www.chiefdelphi.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=92753

I originally posted back in February and quite a few things have changed since then, so I added some more photos and explained the changes that were made.

Enjoy!
Fairly positive that John's point was to post up the CAD files for your designs. CAD can teach students what the pictures merely show.

I'm not sure how useful the CAD from 3553's robot would be to other teams, but I'll have JJ post up the file sometime if anyone would like.

Alumni/Mentor FRC 11 - MORT | ['11-'12]: Co-Founder/Mentor FRC 3929 | ['06-'10]: Student FRC 11- MORT | ['08-'12]: Founder - EWCP
  #9   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 05-11-2011, 11:29 PM
AKA: Simon Bohn
FRC #0639 (Code Red)

Rookie Year: 2010
Grim Tuesday has a reputation beyond reputeGrim Tuesday has a reputation beyond reputeGrim Tuesday has a reputation beyond reputeGrim Tuesday has a reputation beyond reputeGrim Tuesday has a reputation beyond reputeGrim Tuesday has a reputation beyond reputeGrim Tuesday has a reputation beyond reputeGrim Tuesday has a reputation beyond reputeGrim Tuesday has a reputation beyond reputeGrim Tuesday has a reputation beyond reputeGrim Tuesday has a reputation beyond repute

I wish more teams used Inventor...Or we used Solidworks!

In any case, I'll post a CAD of our robot for viewing at some point, but it might be tricky; Inventor files are quite large for the data they hold, so the master cad of our robot is about 100 mb.

-Buckeye Regional Champion 2013, 2014
-Newton Division Finalists 2012 thanks to 68 and 330
  #10   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 05-11-2011, 11:46 PM
Work harder, do better.
AKA: Pinecone
FRC #2791 (Shaker Robotics) (EWCP)

Chris is me has a reputation beyond reputeChris is me has a reputation beyond reputeChris is me has a reputation beyond reputeChris is me has a reputation beyond reputeChris is me has a reputation beyond reputeChris is me has a reputation beyond reputeChris is me has a reputation beyond reputeChris is me has a reputation beyond reputeChris is me has a reputation beyond reputeChris is me has a reputation beyond reputeChris is me has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Chris is me

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akash Rastogi View Post
Fairly positive that John's point was to post up the CAD files for your designs. CAD can teach students what the pictures merely show.
I think 525's detailed analysis was more helpful than any unexplained CAD model would be. Is there really anything there you can't get?
2013 WPI Regional #1 Seed / Delphi Excellence in Engineering / Finalists (with 20, 3182), BAE Motorola Quality
2012 BAE Imagery / Finalists (with 1519, 885), CT Xerox Creativity / Semifinalists (with 2168, 118)

Proud 1714 Alumnus (2009) - 2009 Minnesota 10,000 Lakes Regional Champions (with 2826, 2470)
2791 Build Season Photo Gallery - Look here for mechanism photos
My Robotics Blog (Updated April 11 2014)
  #11   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 05-11-2011, 11:52 PM
Currently teamless
no team

Akash Rastogi has a reputation beyond reputeAkash Rastogi has a reputation beyond reputeAkash Rastogi has a reputation beyond reputeAkash Rastogi has a reputation beyond reputeAkash Rastogi has a reputation beyond reputeAkash Rastogi has a reputation beyond reputeAkash Rastogi has a reputation beyond reputeAkash Rastogi has a reputation beyond reputeAkash Rastogi has a reputation beyond reputeAkash Rastogi has a reputation beyond reputeAkash Rastogi has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris is me View Post
I think 525's detailed analysis was more helpful than any unexplained CAD model would be. Is there really anything there you can't get?
No I can understand it just fine Chris, they posted great captions with the images, but I think the post was meant to have teams post their files.

Alumni/Mentor FRC 11 - MORT | ['11-'12]: Co-Founder/Mentor FRC 3929 | ['06-'10]: Student FRC 11- MORT | ['08-'12]: Founder - EWCP

Last edited by Akash Rastogi : 05-11-2011 at 11:55 PM.
  #12   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 05-11-2011, 11:57 PM
University Mentor
AKA: Alex Strong
FRC #2702 (REBotics)
Team Role: College Student

Rookie Year: 2004
,4lex S. has much to be proud of,4lex S. has much to be proud of,4lex S. has much to be proud of,4lex S. has much to be proud of,4lex S. has much to be proud of,4lex S. has much to be proud of,4lex S. has much to be proud of,4lex S. has much to be proud of,4lex S. has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grim Tuesday View Post
I wish more teams used Inventor...Or we used Solidworks!

In any case, I'll post a CAD of our robot for viewing at some point, but it might be tricky; Inventor files are quite large for the data they hold, so the master cad of our robot is about 100 mb.
If you convert it to a STEP file, you shouldn't have an issue with loading it into any modern CAD application. I believe the files are also significantly smaller if you export the whole assembly as a STEP.

#13   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 05-11-2011, 11:59 PM
AKA: Matthew Simpson
no team

Rookie Year: 2007
chessking132 is a glorious beacon of lightchessking132 is a glorious beacon of lightchessking132 is a glorious beacon of lightchessking132 is a glorious beacon of lightchessking132 is a glorious beacon of lightchessking132 is a glorious beacon of light

I don't believe this is still the case but i remember that all the inventor submission were posted on FIRST base and i use to download them and spent many hours looking how teams approached a problem differently then myself. I dont believe that Autodesk still does this but they might in future season if some one was to ask. I will talk to my current team to see if i can release our full cad for this year.
  #14   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 05-12-2011, 12:02 AM
Lead Mentor
FRC #0973 (Greybots)

Rookie Year: 2004
AdamHeard has a reputation beyond reputeAdamHeard has a reputation beyond reputeAdamHeard has a reputation beyond reputeAdamHeard has a reputation beyond reputeAdamHeard has a reputation beyond reputeAdamHeard has a reputation beyond reputeAdamHeard has a reputation beyond reputeAdamHeard has a reputation beyond reputeAdamHeard has a reputation beyond reputeAdamHeard has a reputation beyond reputeAdamHeard has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to AdamHeard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris is me View Post
You miss the hardcore detailed design though, which is what some people are really interested in looking at.

Like us on Facebook!

2014 Galileo Champions
2011 World Champions

Like our Robots? Check out the CAD files of MOST of our robots!
  #15   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 05-12-2011, 12:39 AM
AKA: Jim
FRC #1726 (N.E.R.D.S.)

MrForbes has a reputation beyond reputeMrForbes has a reputation beyond reputeMrForbes has a reputation beyond reputeMrForbes has a reputation beyond reputeMrForbes has a reputation beyond reputeMrForbes has a reputation beyond reputeMrForbes has a reputation beyond reputeMrForbes has a reputation beyond reputeMrForbes has a reputation beyond reputeMrForbes has a reputation beyond reputeMrForbes has a reputation beyond repute

Somewhere I think we still have some of the napkins and old envelopes we sketched our design on.....

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: