OCCRA
Go to Post Fans come and go... but if you're a diehard, you stick around during the losing seasons, too. - Amanda Morrison [more]
Home
Go Back   Chief Delphi > Other > Dean Kamen's Inventions
CD-Events   CD-Media   CD-Spy   FRC-Spy  
portal register members calendar search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ rules

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
  #1   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 10-26-2011, 12:32 PM
Head Coach
FRC #3481 (Bronc Botz)
Team Role: Coach

Rookie Year: 2011
Michael Blake has a brilliant futureMichael Blake has a brilliant futureMichael Blake has a brilliant futureMichael Blake has a brilliant futureMichael Blake has a brilliant futureMichael Blake has a brilliant futureMichael Blake has a brilliant futureMichael Blake has a brilliant futureMichael Blake has a brilliant futureMichael Blake has a brilliant futureMichael Blake has a brilliant future
Dean Kamen: The emotion behind invention @ TED

http://www.ted.com/talks/dean_kamen_...invention.html
Co-Founder - FTC 4008 - Bronc Botz-Orange (2010) and FTC 4602 - Bronc Botz-Blue (2011) and FTC #6976 - Bronc Botz-Nano (2013 - middle-schoolers)
  #2   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 10-26-2011, 01:24 PM
Computer Man
AKA: Chris
FTC #4397 (Tin Man)
Team Role: Programmer

Rookie Year: 2010
FTC4397 is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Dean Kamen: The emotion behind invention @ TED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Blake View Post
It's really cool seeing the arms in use, and it may or may not give our team ideas for this year's game.

Dean is right, our boys do deserve everything humanly possible and we should give it to them

Last edited by FTC4397 : 10-26-2011 at 01:36 PM.
  #3   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 10-26-2011, 11:41 PM
Long Distance Mentor
FRC #0647 (Cyber Wolf Corp)
Team Role: Mentor

Rookie Year: 2001
MrHance has a spectacular aura aboutMrHance has a spectacular aura aboutMrHance has a spectacular aura about
Thumbs up Re: Dean Kamen: The emotion behind invention @ TED

This piece was wonderful. I am in Afghanistan working as a contractor, so I see alot of these soldediers on a daily basis. I think that what Dean is doing is one of his greatest achievments to date. And his reason is not one of profit but his whole thought of what can we do the improvement mankind not matter the challanges. This is why Dean has created the programs to get young and old minds thinking of the future and how can wwe make it better. I have been a firm believer that just because that is the way it was that there is always room for improvement and to never stop improving. We can make the world a better place if we all work together as a whole not as individuals. I hope to see more of Dean's thoughts and great things from everyone who has a desire to improve the world not matter what is going on around us.
  #4   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 10-27-2011, 02:10 AM
Fusing Function with Form
AKA: Mathew Simon
FRC #0973 (Greybots)
Team Role: Mentor

Rookie Year: 2008
msimon785 has a brilliant futuremsimon785 has a brilliant futuremsimon785 has a brilliant futuremsimon785 has a brilliant futuremsimon785 has a brilliant futuremsimon785 has a brilliant futuremsimon785 has a brilliant futuremsimon785 has a brilliant futuremsimon785 has a brilliant futuremsimon785 has a brilliant futuremsimon785 has a brilliant future

Dean never ceases to inspire me. He is incredible - the spirit of innovation, the desire to better the world in which we live.
I am still in awe.

Mathew Simon
CAD/Design
[2013-20xx]: 973 "Greybots"
[2011-2013]: 1515 "MorTorq"
[2008-2010]: 1836 "MilkenKnights"

#5   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 10-27-2011, 02:43 AM
Currently teamless
no team
Team Role: Alumni

Rookie Year: 2006
Akash Rastogi has a reputation beyond reputeAkash Rastogi has a reputation beyond reputeAkash Rastogi has a reputation beyond reputeAkash Rastogi has a reputation beyond reputeAkash Rastogi has a reputation beyond reputeAkash Rastogi has a reputation beyond reputeAkash Rastogi has a reputation beyond reputeAkash Rastogi has a reputation beyond reputeAkash Rastogi has a reputation beyond reputeAkash Rastogi has a reputation beyond reputeAkash Rastogi has a reputation beyond repute

Sometimes, after all the long-winded speeches at FIRST events, I forget how amazing of an inventor Dean really is. The team who he chose must also be some incredible people.

Great TED talk.

Alumni/Mentor FRC 11 - MORT | ['11-'12]: Co-Founder/Mentor FRC 3929 | ['06-'10]: Student FRC 11- MORT | ['08-'12]: Founder - EWCP
  #6   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 10-27-2011, 05:35 PM
Kims Robot's Avatar Unsung FIRST Hero
Onto a New Chapter...
AKA: Kim O'Toole Eckhardt
no team

Rookie Year: 1996
Kims Robot has a reputation beyond reputeKims Robot has a reputation beyond reputeKims Robot has a reputation beyond reputeKims Robot has a reputation beyond reputeKims Robot has a reputation beyond reputeKims Robot has a reputation beyond reputeKims Robot has a reputation beyond reputeKims Robot has a reputation beyond reputeKims Robot has a reputation beyond reputeKims Robot has a reputation beyond reputeKims Robot has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Kims Robot

Thank you for sharing that, I had seen glimpses of the arm before, but not that speech. Dean is an amazing human being. If half the people that had the brainpower he does had the heart and passion that he does, this world would be an amazing place.

I found it interesting to see even people outside of FIRST talking about his lengthy style of speaking, though it appears the overwhelming majority of those people were more moved by his story than itched by his style. Its one thing that has always bugged me in FIRST. We take for granted that every year, often several times a year, we get to hear speeches from this amazing man. And instead of sitting down and thinking about the message, we whine about how long it is, or pull out our phones and start texting or playing games. I for one am enthralled every time I hear him speak, and I for one feel honored that I get to hear him every year and get to listen to the emotional stories and powerful messages. If even half the people in FIRST listened to his messages and took even the smallest of actions on them, what a world this would be.
History - Team 176, Team 229, Team 1511, FIRST Volunteer!!
My new FIRST Photography Hobby & Angry Eric's Fan Page
Excellence - is the result of caring more than others think is wise, risking more than others think is safe, dreaming more than others think is practical, and expecting more than others think is possible.
  #7   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 10-28-2011, 02:32 AM
Best Available Data
FRC #1778 (Chill Out!)
Team Role: Engineer

Rookie Year: 2004
Ian Curtis has a reputation beyond reputeIan Curtis has a reputation beyond reputeIan Curtis has a reputation beyond reputeIan Curtis has a reputation beyond reputeIan Curtis has a reputation beyond reputeIan Curtis has a reputation beyond reputeIan Curtis has a reputation beyond reputeIan Curtis has a reputation beyond reputeIan Curtis has a reputation beyond reputeIan Curtis has a reputation beyond reputeIan Curtis has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kims Robot View Post
I for one am enthralled every time I hear him speak, and I for one feel honored that I get to hear him every year and get to listen to the emotional stories and powerful messages. If even half the people in FIRST listened to his messages and took even the smallest of actions on them, what a world this would be.
The crowd actually draws the speeches out significantly, I think. Several computers back I had the tape of the closing ceremonies at BAE in 2006, and for fun I sped it up so Dean's entire speech was compressed to about 40 seconds. 19 of those seconds were the audience clapping. I'm not sure if that holds true at other events -- but if it does that's a lot of clapping!

He does have a great message. I went to talk by Jim Albaugh, CEO of Boeing Commercial Airplanes last week and one of his key points was that really great leaders should be measured not only by their own successes, but by the successes of the people they train to replace themselves. By that metric I can only imagine that Dean Kamen will go down as the greatest executive in the history of the world, having played an instrumental role in inspiring and training an entire generation of leaders.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: