Go to Post FIRST needs a disclaimer that parts of the field can become flying projectiles under hurricane force winds. - Barry Bonzack [more]
Home
Go Back   Chief Delphi > Other > Dean Kamen's Inventions
CD-Events   CD-Media   CD-Spy   FRC-Spy  
portal register members calendar search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ rules

#1   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 12-30-2002, 12:46 AM
Embedded Firmware Engineer
no team (Semi-Retired)
Team Role: Engineer

Rookie Year: 2002
JonA will become famous soon enoughJonA will become famous soon enough
Exclamation Did anyone ever think that the users of segways need to take a walk

Don't get me wrong...I think that the segways are cool and all, but did anyone ever stop and think that if everybody used them, would we all be fat?

Some people are just sooo lazy that they drive their car half a block so they don't have to walk as much, Will this happen with segways. The lazy people need the exercise.

I choose to walk.
  #2   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 12-30-2002, 03:27 PM
Reject False Icons
no team

Rookie Year: 2001
Joe Matt has a reputation beyond reputeJoe Matt has a reputation beyond reputeJoe Matt has a reputation beyond reputeJoe Matt has a reputation beyond reputeJoe Matt has a reputation beyond reputeJoe Matt has a reputation beyond reputeJoe Matt has a reputation beyond reputeJoe Matt has a reputation beyond reputeJoe Matt has a reputation beyond reputeJoe Matt has a reputation beyond reputeJoe Matt has a reputation beyond repute
So is beating stains out of your cloating. Its healthyer for you, but #%#%#%#%, a washing machine is easier and removes all that 'exercise' associated with banging stains out of cloating, but isn't getting petitions to ban it's use.

Most people who question the segway don't know it that well.
  #3   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 12-30-2002, 04:14 PM
Dancing through life...
FRC #0488 (Xbot)

Rookie Year: 1999
Madison has a reputation beyond reputeMadison has a reputation beyond reputeMadison has a reputation beyond reputeMadison has a reputation beyond reputeMadison has a reputation beyond reputeMadison has a reputation beyond reputeMadison has a reputation beyond reputeMadison has a reputation beyond reputeMadison has a reputation beyond reputeMadison has a reputation beyond reputeMadison has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Madison
Quote:
Originally posted by JosephM
Most people who question the segway don't know it that well.
Most people who question anything have a healthy bit of cynicism running through their veins.

The Segway has the potential to change the way we design cities. As does the bicycle. And Reebok. The Segway itself, while technologically nifty, isn't really all that earth shattering given what it provides. The Stirling Cycle engine's possibilities for impact are far, far greater, I'd argue.

The Segway won't change the world. We will. It's the people who buck convention and challenge tradition that make the world a safer, happier place to live. If Segway is what it takes to get people to adopt environmentally friendly, societally palatable new ways of constructing cities, cultural centers and towns, that's amazing. If it's the next big thing to come along, that's great, too.

It's not about the technology, or the wow factor or whether or not it comes from Dean Kamen - it's about the people. All of this is. I've seen amazing robots, I've been surprised to see how effortlessly the Segway maintains its balance, and I've been awestruck by the number of amazing, varied things Dean Kamen has accomplished, but, above all else, I am continually amazed by the strength, conviction and sincerity of the people I've met.

Question Segway. Question the government. Your parents. Your teachers. Your supervisor. Question nature. The world. Don't ever get so set in your ways that change becomes impossible. Change should be inevitable, not impossible.

Whether it's a Segway or a cocktail of drugs to cure AIDS, if we stop looking forward and fixate our attention and adoration and imagination on singular objects, places, or moments in time, we are doing the entire world a disservice.

...down at the Ozdust!

Like a grand and miraculous spaceship, our planet has sailed through the universe of time. And for a brief moment, we have been among its many passengers.
  #4   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 12-30-2002, 04:49 PM
Embedded Firmware Engineer
no team (Semi-Retired)

JonA will become famous soon enoughJonA will become famous soon enough
Note: This has not been an attack in any way on Dean, the Segway, technology or the society we live in. Its purpose is to try to make people to look at the world they live in.

I am not saying that we should stop using the technology we have, the wash machine is a wonderfull invention and saves and inordante amount of time. It seems to me that basic moving around is one of the last annoyances that has not been solved by a fully automated, compact, easy-to-use toy.

I am not saying the Segway is a bad thing, and I would like you to know that I am not the ignoramus society presumes anyone is that raises a question about an idea it blindly believes in. I am saying that not all of society is ready for the technology that we feed ourselves. We, as a whole, use technology as a crutch instead of using it to advance our potential as a species.

New inventions should never be banned...I feel that nothing should be banned from use by people in a society. Banning items and overall censorship just proves that society lacks trust in itself. Unfortunately, that mistrust comes from years of people taking advantage of society's trust and resisting progress.

More often than not, we engineers walk through life fixing problems with solutions that their society is not ready for. Throughout history, many great thinkers were persecuted because society wasn’t ready for and resisted change. Our society’s willingness to accept and embrace change has been improved by the accelerated nature of the technologically inclined world, but still lags noticeably behind the innovative minds that feed it.

Anyway, I wish I had the money to play around with a Segway and all the new, cool toys of tomorrow, but I have to wait until I complete my remaining years of college and as many years in the “real world” as it takes to attain a position where I can afford such things.

I wish the world could mirror what I believe the FIRST society has been, is and will be.

Only by challenging the past, present and future do we achieve progress.

-Jon
  #5   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-05-2003, 06:42 PM
AKA: Bill
FRC #1073 (FORCE)
Team Role: Mentor

yenduc is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to yenduc Send a message via Yahoo to yenduc
i think that Segway was given WAY to much hype for what it turned out to be, so it lost some of its luster, people were thinking of all these completely radical off the wall way cool ideas, but the segway is basically a single person economic transport. Yes its new and different. But for the price tag, i know many people i know think that its not worth it. although it would be really really cool to have one
  #6   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 02-03-2003, 07:35 PM

adambarnett is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile

I very much agree. It's cool and all, but for such short distances(1 to 3 miles), it would be much for beneficial and practical to walk or bike. And with 50%+ of americans overweight, most of us need the excercise.

IMO, if he wants to revolutionize travel, just invent the teleporter(since it would be soooo easy). Instant travel, no emissions, what could be better?
  #7   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-11-2003, 12:58 PM
Adult troublemaker
FRC #0811

Alfred Thompson has a spectacular aura aboutAlfred Thompson has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via AIM to Alfred Thompson
Anyone taken a look at Dean lately? It doesn't look like he is out of shape at all and I doubt anyone rides a Segway more then he does. I don't think the Segway will make people fat. I think it will allow them to travel more then they do now but they will probably walk as much.
  #8   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-11-2003, 07:08 PM

I didn't say the segway will make you fat. I said fat people need to be walking, not riding segways.
  #9   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-11-2003, 08:38 PM
n.e.r.d #6
FRC #3780 (Robot Unicorns)
Team Role: Mentor

Jon K. has a brilliant futureJon K. has a brilliant futureJon K. has a brilliant futureJon K. has a brilliant futureJon K. has a brilliant futureJon K. has a brilliant futureJon K. has a brilliant futureJon K. has a brilliant futureJon K. has a brilliant futureJon K. has a brilliant futureJon K. has a brilliant future
So wait does that mean obese/overweight people also shouldn't drive cars? Because if you ask me it is the same exact thing in that they are both easier forms of transportation so that people don't have to walk long distances to get were they are going. Anyways the Segway HT has a wait limit of like 200 pounds I think so what does it matter anyway.

#10   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-11-2003, 09:06 PM

They are not "same exact things". Cars are meant for long distance travel. Segways are meant for travel under 3 miles. My point is that short distance travel is not a big problem. Anyone can hop on a bike and be somewhere faster than if they rode a segway, while experiencing the benefit of excercise.

3 miles is NOT a long distance....
  #11   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-11-2003, 09:40 PM
Your Attention Please
FRC #0006 (CogSquad)
Team Role: Alumni

AJ Quick has a spectacular aura aboutAJ Quick has a spectacular aura about
I think I need a Segway..

I seriously need to gain some weight.

Place your attention entirely on my voice and try to ignore all the others. It is important to be able to focus on a single source of information while blocking out all the other things competing for your attention.
  #12   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-12-2003, 08:53 AM

Maybe just try eating more?
  #13   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-12-2003, 09:57 AM
Adult troublemaker
FRC #0811

Alfred Thompson has a spectacular aura aboutAlfred Thompson has a spectacular aura about
Fat people are not going to ride Segways. Standing is too much work for them. If they do ride them then at least they will get around more and will, I suspect, get some exercise picking the 70 pound Segway up and putting it in the car, carrying it up/down stairs, and generally moving it where it can't roll.
  #14   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-12-2003, 10:43 AM
Reject False Icons
no team

Joe Matt has a reputation beyond reputeJoe Matt has a reputation beyond reputeJoe Matt has a reputation beyond reputeJoe Matt has a reputation beyond reputeJoe Matt has a reputation beyond reputeJoe Matt has a reputation beyond reputeJoe Matt has a reputation beyond reputeJoe Matt has a reputation beyond reputeJoe Matt has a reputation beyond reputeJoe Matt has a reputation beyond reputeJoe Matt has a reputation beyond repute
The washing machine, the car, and the typewriter could make people fat since they removed work. For the final time guys, you're not going to use the Segway from getting to your sofa to the fridge.
  #15   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-12-2003, 11:43 AM
Adult troublemaker
FRC #0811

Quote:
you're not going to use the Segway from getting to your sofa to the fridge.
Speak for yourself.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: