OCCRA
Go to Post It's about compressing life into 6 weeks. It's about doing. It's about learning to fail. It's about gracious professionalism. It's about releasing the limitations that we all put on ourselves. It's about thinking outside of the box. It's about growing. - JohnBoucher [more]
Home
Go Back   Chief Delphi > Technical > IT / Communications > Computer Graphics
CD-Events   CD-Media   CD-Spy   FRC-Spy  
portal register members calendar search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ rules

#16   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 08-23-2011, 05:05 PM
Yeah! Collages!
AKA: 7h0m45
FRC #1985 (Robohawks)
Team Role: Alumni

Rookie Year: 2010
Tommy F. is just really niceTommy F. is just really niceTommy F. is just really niceTommy F. is just really nice
Re: Gimp vs Photoshop

I use Gimp for just about everything I do.

I also have Photoshop, but my only main use for Photoshop is mainly for cropping things with its awesome crop tools, but other than that, I prefer using Gimp, and it does just about everything Photoshop can do.

FTC 289, 290 & 291 :: FRC 1985

2013 St. Louis Regional Semi-Finalist (with 3411 and 4330), Industrial Design Award
2013 Queen City Regional Winner (with 379 and 447)

#17   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 08-23-2011, 05:14 PM
Lead contributor of sweg
AKA: Josh
FRC #0967 (Iron Lions (9-sits-7))

Rookie Year: 2009
404'd is a name known to all404'd is a name known to all404'd is a name known to all404'd is a name known to all404'd is a name known to all404'd is a name known to all

In my opinon, Photoshop is better. The UI is much easier to use once you learn it, it has more advanced tools, and a really big community. But Photoshop could be overkill for very simple stuff.

If you would only use the program once, i would use GIMP, Photoshop might not be worth the money needed to purchase it
2013 CMP: Curie Semis w/ 2056 + 3990

Last edited by 404'd : 08-23-2011 at 05:17 PM.
  #18   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 08-24-2011, 08:24 PM
AKA: Larry Bolan
no team
Team Role: College Student

Rookie Year: 2008
ratdude747 has a brilliant futureratdude747 has a brilliant futureratdude747 has a brilliant futureratdude747 has a brilliant futureratdude747 has a brilliant futureratdude747 has a brilliant futureratdude747 has a brilliant futureratdude747 has a brilliant futureratdude747 has a brilliant futureratdude747 has a brilliant futureratdude747 has a brilliant future
Send a message via Skype™ to ratdude747

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7h0m54 View Post
I use Gimp for just about everything I do.

I also have Photoshop, but my only main use for Photoshop is mainly for cropping things with its awesome crop tools, but other than that, I prefer using Gimp, and it does just about everything Photoshop can do.
Agreed. Not to mention Gimp (and inkscape) are Linux compatible, which for me is a plus since Linux is my preferred OS.

gimp is a bit harder to use at first but it also allows easier access to the basic nuts and bolts of things.

Dean's List Semi-finalist 2010
1747 Harrison Boiler Robotics 2008-2010
2783 Engineers of Tomorrow 2011
How to wire CAN bus on a budget
  #19   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 08-25-2011, 04:13 PM
esse quam videri
AKA: with an "i"
FRC #0111 (WildStang)

Rookie Year: 2002
KelliV has a reputation beyond reputeKelliV has a reputation beyond reputeKelliV has a reputation beyond reputeKelliV has a reputation beyond reputeKelliV has a reputation beyond reputeKelliV has a reputation beyond reputeKelliV has a reputation beyond reputeKelliV has a reputation beyond reputeKelliV has a reputation beyond reputeKelliV has a reputation beyond reputeKelliV has a reputation beyond repute

I used both while in college on various projects and personally prefer Photoshop. It is much more intuitive than GIMP and interfaces better with video editing software than GIMP does. Photoshop also generates better effects and will come out with a cleaner product, keep in mind that GIMP's products are great and clean, Photoshop's just look better in large format.

I know photoshop comes with a large price tag but it is a great tool for students to have experience with prior to going to college and would be a great addition to your teams media/marketing side. FIRST encourages engineering students to get hands on with industry standard equipment, it should encourage non-engineering students to use industry standard programs as well.
We convey many messages in the things that we write, but in many cases, especially with children, you don't want to end with "This is what you should think." You want to end with something that says, "Now, you think about it." To a child, and to an adult, too, what you discover by yourself, or what you think you discover by yourself, is what stays. -Norton Juster

~Live what you love~
  #20   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 08-25-2011, 04:50 PM
Alumni
AKA: David Yoon
FRC #0589 (Falkons)

davidthefat has much to be proud ofdavidthefat has much to be proud ofdavidthefat has much to be proud ofdavidthefat has much to be proud ofdavidthefat has much to be proud ofdavidthefat has much to be proud ofdavidthefat has much to be proud ofdavidthefat has much to be proud ofdavidthefat has much to be proud of

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qP8c2R8YEb4
  #21   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 08-25-2011, 05:28 PM
DaBears til 13 turned Free Agent 14
AKA: Michael Hawley
no team (Free Agent)
Team Role: Scout

Rookie Year: 2006
xSAWxBLADEx will become famous soon enoughxSAWxBLADEx will become famous soon enough
Send a message via MSN to xSAWxBLADEx

paint.net has a easier UI than GIMP (to me anyways), and its freeware you should really check it out.
2009-Traverse City District Competition Champions with 85 and 2645 / Traverse City District Competition Chairman's Award / Michigan State Championship Finalists with 1918 and 904 / Championship Finalist with 217 and 68
2013-Grand Blanc District Competition Champions with 33 and 1718

#22   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 08-25-2011, 11:56 PM
FRC #0188 (Woburn Robotics)

Rookie Year: 1999
Tristan Lall has a reputation beyond reputeTristan Lall has a reputation beyond reputeTristan Lall has a reputation beyond reputeTristan Lall has a reputation beyond reputeTristan Lall has a reputation beyond reputeTristan Lall has a reputation beyond reputeTristan Lall has a reputation beyond reputeTristan Lall has a reputation beyond reputeTristan Lall has a reputation beyond reputeTristan Lall has a reputation beyond reputeTristan Lall has a reputation beyond repute

Another vote for Paint.net and Inkscape, mostly because they're free, and secondarily because they're pretty good. (I haven't actually used GIMP, so I don't have an opinion on it.)

Incidentally, I've never seen a good explanation of why Photoshop still uses a scratch disk, rather than using Windows NT's own perfectly good memory management. (A pox on archaic memory management techniques, I say.) That fact always makes me wary of what lurks within Photoshop's codebase.
  #23   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 09-11-2011, 07:35 PM
no team

jodytamibooth88 is an unknown quantity at this point

GIMP is free which is always a good thing. not to mention it can fairly compete with PS in terms of photo editing capabilities. i would not spend alot of money for additional features the PS can do but if you got money to burn, then why not.
  #24   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 09-13-2011, 11:16 PM
no team

alphonsoferrell is an unknown quantity at this point

I guess it differs with each one's preference and experience. I, for one, prefer PS since I have using it for years. I was introduced to GIMP just a couple of months ago. I would prefer the one that I am already comfortable with, which in this case Photoshop. In short, those new to both PS and GIMP will have a harder time to choose.
  #25   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 09-14-2011, 03:25 PM
AKA: David K.
no team

Rookie Year: 2006
DMetalKong is a jewel in the roughDMetalKong is a jewel in the roughDMetalKong is a jewel in the rough
Send a message via AIM to DMetalKong

I use Gimp with the addin Gimp Paint Studio which rearranges the window locations as well as adding a number of useful brushes and tool sets. For most uses, I feel like it is just about as functional as Photoshop. I can second Inkscape as a vector editor, I use it all the time. Another good free program is Scribus, which is useful for creating page layouts. I suggest getting the release candidate, as it is much better-featured than the stable version.

-David
  #26   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-11-2012, 07:47 PM
FRC #3705

Team 3705 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMetalKong View Post
I use Gimp with the addin Gimp Paint Studio which rearranges the window locations as well as adding a number of useful brushes and tool sets. For most uses, I feel like it is just about as functional as Photoshop. I can second Inkscape as a vector editor, I use it all the time. Another good free program is Scribus, which is useful for creating page layouts. I suggest getting the release candidate, as it is much better-featured than the stable version.

-David
It is a good addon, but you might as well, use Krita for painting, or even Mypaint.

Inkscape, is also highly recommended. Even though I do not use it.
Photoshop and both GIMP are excellent tools, if you can use them that is. I per GIMP since its FOSS. But their development team has been pretty...urggh
  #27   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-11-2012, 08:36 PM
FRC #0201 (FEDS 201)
Team Role: Driver

ChristopherSD has much to be proud ofChristopherSD has much to be proud ofChristopherSD has much to be proud ofChristopherSD has much to be proud ofChristopherSD has much to be proud ofChristopherSD has much to be proud ofChristopherSD has much to be proud ofChristopherSD has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by Not2B View Post
what about paint.net?

It's at http://www.getpaint.net

It's not to bad either.
Came here to post this.

Plugins are amazing for Paint.NET.
  #28   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 01-27-2012, 11:59 AM
Glasses User
AKA: Joe M. Bolewitz
FRC #0245 (AdamBots Team 245)
Team Role: Marketing

Rookie Year: 2011
JoeWithTheSpecs is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via Skype™ to JoeWithTheSpecs
Thumbs up Adobe has a Education Discount

I can say that Photoshop is the way to go even though it is much more expensive. I bought the Adobe Production Premium for myself with the student discount (80% OFF). It was 200$ for the CS5 version with the student discount and 100$ gift certificate.
  #29   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 07-08-2012, 12:02 PM
Programming and Arduino Mentor
AKA: Gustave Michel
FRC #3468 (MAGNAtech)
Team Role: Mentor

Rookie Year: 2012
gixxy is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via Skype™ to gixxy

If you don't want to/can't afford to buy Photoshop. Between Paint.net and the GIMP, you have just about everything you need for your Image Editing. Sure there are things missing that Photoshop can do, however a lot of those are available as scripts for GIMP and I believe you can get plugins for Pain.net.

When on Windows I know I enjoy using Paint.net. And I use GIMP on all my Computers and it is great (after many hours getting used to it, its not quite as user friendly as Paint.net, then again neither is Photoshop).

Then if you want to do vector designs, there is inkscape.
2014 - 3468 - Programming Mentor
  #30   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 07-08-2012, 12:50 PM
AKA: Robert Cory Molloy
FRC #0973 (Greybots)

Rookie Year: 2009
rcmolloy has a reputation beyond reputercmolloy has a reputation beyond reputercmolloy has a reputation beyond reputercmolloy has a reputation beyond reputercmolloy has a reputation beyond reputercmolloy has a reputation beyond reputercmolloy has a reputation beyond reputercmolloy has a reputation beyond reputercmolloy has a reputation beyond reputercmolloy has a reputation beyond reputercmolloy has a reputation beyond repute

I have used both Photoshop and GIMP. Overall, I do like Photoshop's interface much more but I am also being very biased because I taught myself a basic understanding of Photoshop when I was about 12/13. It's pretty much a preference/buyers standpoint if you are looking to go forward with one or the other. Even though the interfaces and prices (GIMPs lack of having one ) really can settle the dispute. Try both and figure it out from there but if I had to chose one it would be Photoshop.
"While I was a student in FIRST, it was all about becoming inspired. Now as a mentor/engineering student, it's all about making sure learn everything I can so I can carry that on inspiration for future generations while having a hell of a lot of fun!"

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: