OCCRA
Go to Post Its always good to read the rules yourself rather than listen to "word of mouth" rules. - Killraine [more]
Home
Go Back   Chief Delphi > Other > College & University Education
CD-Events   CD-Media   CD-Spy   FRC-Spy  
portal register members calendar search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ rules

#1   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 02-11-2012, 12:49 PM
Grace
FRC #0280 (TNT 280)
Team Role: Mentor

Rookie Year: 2010
HaleyMortensen is just really niceHaleyMortensen is just really niceHaleyMortensen is just really niceHaleyMortensen is just really nice
Patent Law?

If one is interested in going to college for patent law what college would be good for that?
  #2   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 02-11-2012, 01:20 PM
New year, new team
FRC #1197 (Torbots)
Team Role: Engineer

Rookie Year: 2003
EricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to EricH
Re: Patent Law?

I've actually heard something about this, back a few years, via a lawyer local to my college. (I want to say it was in my General Engineering class, so 5 years back.)

It was suggested to get an engineering degree/education, then go into the law field, if you want to go into patent law. I forget the exact reasoning, but I think it had something to do with being able to look at and understand designs.

(It's to be noted that my college is an engineering college; the closest we get to law is, I think, a focus on pre-law in the Interdisciplinary Science major.)
2012: FRC4046 Schroedinger's Dragons

Read the rules and make a picklist before thinking about winning a competition.

"Rockets are tricky..."--Elon Musk
  #3   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 02-11-2012, 01:31 PM
Grace
FRC #0280 (TNT 280)

Rookie Year: 2010
HaleyMortensen is just really niceHaleyMortensen is just really niceHaleyMortensen is just really niceHaleyMortensen is just really nice

Ok, thank you.
  #4   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 02-11-2012, 02:01 PM
Feeling Honorable
FRC #1676 (Pascack PI Oneers)

Rookie Year: 2005
DonRotolo has a reputation beyond reputeDonRotolo has a reputation beyond reputeDonRotolo has a reputation beyond reputeDonRotolo has a reputation beyond reputeDonRotolo has a reputation beyond reputeDonRotolo has a reputation beyond reputeDonRotolo has a reputation beyond reputeDonRotolo has a reputation beyond reputeDonRotolo has a reputation beyond reputeDonRotolo has a reputation beyond reputeDonRotolo has a reputation beyond repute

Go speak with your school's guidance counselors. They have the tools and expertise to guide you in finding schools that might be a good fit for you.

I am N2IRZ - What's your callsign?
  #5   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-01-2012, 06:21 PM
Mentor
FRC #0766 (Bears)

Rookie Year: 2009
kellymc is a splendid one to beholdkellymc is a splendid one to beholdkellymc is a splendid one to beholdkellymc is a splendid one to beholdkellymc is a splendid one to beholdkellymc is a splendid one to beholdkellymc is a splendid one to behold

As a registered patent attorney I can help you out here. To become elligible to sit for the patent bar exam you need to receive a science degree which is recognized by the US Patent office. Page 6 of this document

http://www.uspto.gov/ip/boards/oed/grb.pdf

You can receive this degree from most any 4 year college. Once you have your elligible degree in hand you then decide if you want to take the patent bar exam at this time and become a "patent agent" or if you want to proceed to law school.

A patent agent is registered to practice "patent law" before the US Patent Office but is not an attorney, that is an Agent cannot give "legal advice" to their clients.

If you want to attend law school, this is where the school name makes more of a difference than your undergrad school. Unfortunately, many law firms hire based on what law school you attended vs. how well you did etc.

If you have more questions, please feel free to ask.

Kelly

Quote:
Originally Posted by HaleyMortensen View Post
If one is interested in going to college for patent law what college would be good for that?
  #6   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-01-2012, 10:15 PM
Mentor
FRC #0766 (Bears)

Rookie Year: 2009
kellymc is a splendid one to beholdkellymc is a splendid one to beholdkellymc is a splendid one to beholdkellymc is a splendid one to beholdkellymc is a splendid one to beholdkellymc is a splendid one to beholdkellymc is a splendid one to behold

To get some exposure to patent law, you should look into the First Future Innovator Award being offered this year.

Kelly

Quote:
Originally Posted by HaleyMortensen View Post

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: