Go to Post They could release an update saying they were going to give every team free puppies and kittens, and many teams would vehemently complain this change was too late to budget dry kibbles into their budget. - artdutra04 [more]
Home
Go Back   Chief Delphi > Competition > Rules/Strategy
CD-Events   CD-Media   CD-Spy   FRC-Spy  
portal register members calendar search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ rules

Closed Thread
  #1   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-02-2012, 02:19 PM
mechanical engineer
AKA: Todd Ferrante
FRC #2363 (Triple Helix)
Team Role: Mentor

Rookie Year: 2011
ToddF has a reputation beyond reputeToddF has a reputation beyond reputeToddF has a reputation beyond reputeToddF has a reputation beyond reputeToddF has a reputation beyond reputeToddF has a reputation beyond reputeToddF has a reputation beyond reputeToddF has a reputation beyond reputeToddF has a reputation beyond reputeToddF has a reputation beyond reputeToddF has a reputation beyond repute
Week 1 lessons learned: balancing strategy

I've been watching the KC and Alamo regionals streaming today and have seen many attempts to balance a bridge with two robots, and some successes. Many of those attempts end up with a flipped robot. I hope other teams are watching as well, and will think hard about their balancing strategy.

What works: Drive onto the bridge. Tip it towards the other robot. Allow the other robot to push you onto the bridge and do the backwards scoot to do the final balance.

How to flip over the other robot: Drive onto the bridge. Tip it towards the other robot. Allow the other robot to drive partially onto the bridge, and back away from it. Attempt to balance the bridge yourself.

This second method nearly always results in both robots fighting each other for control of the balancing. Sooner or later one of them ends up partially off the bridge when the other is on the far end, flipping the one on the downhill side.

DON'T be the team that flips anyone who tries to balance with them. Please.
video channel
  #2   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-02-2012, 02:25 PM
Sr. Systems Analyst / BRM
AKA: Neal Wilhite
FRC #1225 (Gorillas)

wilhitern1 is a name known to allwilhitern1 is a name known to allwilhitern1 is a name known to allwilhitern1 is a name known to allwilhitern1 is a name known to allwilhitern1 is a name known to all
Re: Week 1 lessons learned: balancing strategy

Our problem at the moment is that we have questionable traction (we're working to improve it). Pushing another robot up the bridge seems unlikely for the time being... We expect to be able to get on the bridge without help however.
  #3   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-02-2012, 02:26 PM
Strategical Tactitian
AKA: Garrick
no team (SparX)
Team Role: Tactician

Rookie Year: 2010
GCentola has much to be proud ofGCentola has much to be proud ofGCentola has much to be proud ofGCentola has much to be proud ofGCentola has much to be proud ofGCentola has much to be proud ofGCentola has much to be proud ofGCentola has much to be proud of

Another thing I've noticed is that teams arent allowing enough time. The bridges seem to be last-second thoughts, and often dont turn out successfully.

On the cooportition bridge, it doesn't appear that there is any logical plan for approaching it. Are alliances discussing it pre-match? It would seem as if some sort of pre-planned process would help balance (as you said, two robots trying to adjust for each other just makes it wobble back and forth)

Check us out at:
http://www.gosparx.org
http://www.facebook.com/SparX1126
I Love Two Pencil Designs!
  #4   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-02-2012, 02:33 PM
FRC #1836 (Milken Knights)

Rookie Year: 2005
pandamonium has a brilliant futurepandamonium has a brilliant futurepandamonium has a brilliant futurepandamonium has a brilliant futurepandamonium has a brilliant futurepandamonium has a brilliant futurepandamonium has a brilliant futurepandamonium has a brilliant futurepandamonium has a brilliant futurepandamonium has a brilliant futurepandamonium has a brilliant future

Why are some robots spending the entire match trying to pick up balls or shoot and miss a hand full of times but then never have time for the bridge? They could spend the majority of the match focusing on the bridge. I think it is important to be realistic with the strengths and weaknesses of your robot. 20 points seems to be enough to win the majority of qualification matches...

P.S. I would love to see 1126 and 1511 on a cooportition bridge together next weekend.

Last edited by pandamonium : 03-02-2012 at 02:41 PM. Reason: p.s.
  #5   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-02-2012, 02:49 PM
Strategical Tactitian
no team (SparX)

GCentola has much to be proud ofGCentola has much to be proud ofGCentola has much to be proud ofGCentola has much to be proud ofGCentola has much to be proud ofGCentola has much to be proud ofGCentola has much to be proud ofGCentola has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by pandamonium View Post

P.S. I would love to see 1126 and 1511 on a cooportition bridge together next weekend.
Same! We are looking forward to FLR! You guys definitely have a cool robot! If this happens, i'm sure we will know what to do after reading this thread.

Check us out at:
  #6   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-02-2012, 02:55 PM
AKA: Simon Bohn
FRC #0639 (Code Red)
Team Role: Alumni

Grim Tuesday has a reputation beyond reputeGrim Tuesday has a reputation beyond reputeGrim Tuesday has a reputation beyond reputeGrim Tuesday has a reputation beyond reputeGrim Tuesday has a reputation beyond reputeGrim Tuesday has a reputation beyond reputeGrim Tuesday has a reputation beyond reputeGrim Tuesday has a reputation beyond reputeGrim Tuesday has a reputation beyond reputeGrim Tuesday has a reputation beyond reputeGrim Tuesday has a reputation beyond repute

Right now I'm feeling really good about making our robot have a very high traction drive system. There seem to be a lot of teams who are slipping all around the bridge and are completely unable to pull off a balance. I would be surprised to see many of these teams in eliminations.

-Buckeye Regional Champion 2013, 2014
-Newton Division Finalists 2012 thanks to 68 and 330
  #7   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-02-2012, 03:05 PM
Strategical Tactitian
no team (SparX)

Speaking of low traction, that seems to be the death of 1 Co-op point. If both alliances are on the C-Bridge, but it isnt balanced, you still get one CP each, but it looks like right after the match ends, the bridge tips to one side and the one on top pushes the other one off accidentally when it slides down.

Check us out at:
  #8   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-02-2012, 03:07 PM
FRC #0023 (PNTA)
Team Role: Programmer

Rookie Year: 1620
DominickC is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToddF View Post
How to flip over the other robot: Drive onto the bridge. Tip it towards the other robot. Allow the other robot to drive partially onto the bridge, and back away from it. Attempt to balance the bridge yourself.
I'd be weary of doing this. It might get you flagged for unnecessary aggression. It's also not in the nature of GP...do you want your team to be known as "that team who flips over other bots"?
  #9   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-02-2012, 03:13 PM
Lead Mentor
FRC #0973 (Greybots)

Rookie Year: 2004
AdamHeard has a reputation beyond reputeAdamHeard has a reputation beyond reputeAdamHeard has a reputation beyond reputeAdamHeard has a reputation beyond reputeAdamHeard has a reputation beyond reputeAdamHeard has a reputation beyond reputeAdamHeard has a reputation beyond reputeAdamHeard has a reputation beyond reputeAdamHeard has a reputation beyond reputeAdamHeard has a reputation beyond reputeAdamHeard has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to AdamHeard

Quote:
Originally Posted by DominickC View Post
I'd be weary of doing this. It might get you flagged for unnecessary aggression. It's also not in the nature of GP...do you want your team to be known as "that team who flips over other bots"?
I don't think his statement was in regards to how to intentionally tip the opponent, but rather pointing out how many teams have repeated this same operation to tip their opponents today in the process of trying to legitimately cooperate.

Like us on Facebook!

2014 Galileo Champions
2011 World Champions

Like our Robots? Check out the CAD files of MOST of our robots!
  #10   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-02-2012, 03:17 PM
FRC #0023 (PNTA)
Team Role: Programmer

Rookie Year: 1620
DominickC is an unknown quantity at this point

Oh, I see. Silly me
  #11   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-02-2012, 04:32 PM
Robot Mentor
FRC #2974 (WALT)

Rookie Year: 2009
FrankJ has a reputation beyond reputeFrankJ has a reputation beyond reputeFrankJ has a reputation beyond reputeFrankJ has a reputation beyond reputeFrankJ has a reputation beyond reputeFrankJ has a reputation beyond reputeFrankJ has a reputation beyond reputeFrankJ has a reputation beyond reputeFrankJ has a reputation beyond reputeFrankJ has a reputation beyond reputeFrankJ has a reputation beyond repute

I expect this will be like mini bots last year. By week three there where 2 or 3 methods that made it look easy.

I was a little surprised how easy it is to flip a bot. Seeing it makes it kinda a DUH. Agreed that it does not seem to be intentional. But if you see the other robot backing away from you and you are more than half off it, you need to be on the gas following it.

Last edited by FrankJ : 03-02-2012 at 04:36 PM.
  #12   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-02-2012, 05:51 PM
FRC #2122 (Team Tators)

Rookie Year: 2008
mwmac has a brilliant futuremwmac has a brilliant futuremwmac has a brilliant futuremwmac has a brilliant futuremwmac has a brilliant futuremwmac has a brilliant futuremwmac has a brilliant futuremwmac has a brilliant futuremwmac has a brilliant futuremwmac has a brilliant futuremwmac has a brilliant future

Saw a few teams with 4wd that struggled getting the second pair of wheels on the bridge once it started to tip
  #13   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-02-2012, 09:55 PM
Student at Kettering University
AKA: Kimberly
FRC #0068 (Truck Town Thunder)

Rookie Year: 2009
Kimmeh has a reputation beyond reputeKimmeh has a reputation beyond reputeKimmeh has a reputation beyond reputeKimmeh has a reputation beyond reputeKimmeh has a reputation beyond reputeKimmeh has a reputation beyond reputeKimmeh has a reputation beyond reputeKimmeh has a reputation beyond reputeKimmeh has a reputation beyond reputeKimmeh has a reputation beyond reputeKimmeh has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Kimmeh

Quote:
Originally Posted by GCentola View Post
On the cooportition bridge, it doesn't appear that there is any logical plan for approaching it. Are alliances discussing it pre-match? It would seem as if some sort of pre-planned process would help balance (as you said, two robots trying to adjust for each other just makes it wobble back and forth)
At Kettering there seems to be a fairly consistent planned attempt for the cooperation bridge. (Whether is works is a different story however...)

And yes, the second robot pushing the first robot on the bridge works better than each team trying to balance individually. Warning: Less is more. Small baby steps will get you further than plowing straight through.
[2009 - 2010] 2604 Metal and Soul| Student | 2010 - Gracious Professionalism Award, UL Industrial Safety Award
  #14   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-02-2012, 10:15 PM
FIRST on my mind
AKA: Evan Raitt
no team
Team Role: Alumni

Rookie Year: 2002
Tetraman has a reputation beyond reputeTetraman has a reputation beyond reputeTetraman has a reputation beyond reputeTetraman has a reputation beyond reputeTetraman has a reputation beyond reputeTetraman has a reputation beyond reputeTetraman has a reputation beyond reputeTetraman has a reputation beyond reputeTetraman has a reputation beyond reputeTetraman has a reputation beyond reputeTetraman has a reputation beyond repute

I was the driving mentor/instructor for 174 this year, and I can say we have practiced the art of balancing every chance we could. Mastering such a thing is always difficult for anyone as a slight movement alters everything. But the number one thing we discussed was allowing time to score on the bridge and being ready for a team that makes a last second mad dash. If we get on the bridge with 30 seconds, or even a whole minute left on the clock, as long as it will end up with +10, +20 or +40 to our score (or +2 qualifying points) it will be worth it.
  #15   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-02-2012, 10:20 PM
Look for me on the field!
AKA: Griffin
FRC #2607 (The Fighting Robovikings)
Team Role: Coach

dellagd has much to be proud ofdellagd has much to be proud ofdellagd has much to be proud ofdellagd has much to be proud ofdellagd has much to be proud ofdellagd has much to be proud ofdellagd has much to be proud ofdellagd has much to be proud ofdellagd has much to be proud ofdellagd has much to be proud of
Send a message via AIM to dellagd Send a message via Skype™ to dellagd

Quote:
Originally Posted by GCentola View Post
Another thing I've noticed is that teams arent allowing enough time. The bridges seem to be last-second thoughts, and often dont turn out successfully.

Definitely discuss pre-match. I usually go out and find our alliance members 3 matches in advance to discuss these things.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tetraman View Post
I was the driving mentor/instructor for 174 this year, and I can say we have practiced the art of balancing every chance we could. Mastering such a thing is always difficult for anyone as a slight movement alters everything. But the number one thing we discussed was allowing time to score on the bridge and being ready for a team that makes a last second mad dash. If we get on the bridge with 30 seconds, or even a whole minute left on the clock, as long as it will end up with +10, +20 or +40 to our score (or +2 qualifying points) it will be worth it.
My thoughts exactly. Our team was struggling but once I realized this, it was a good thing.
	while (otherDriversTickOff != true){
		Timer.delay(1);
		GangNamStyle.increaseBy(10db*Opponent.getCursingVol());
                Sound.yellTaunt("Shazbot!", Opponent.getCursingVol());
	}
	driveTrain.trackOpponentTeam2AtSpeed(tooFast);
}
Closed Thread

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: