OCCRA
Go to Post You enjoy your pepperoni pizza, I'll enjoy my cheese and peppers, and we can both agree that people that like pineapple on their pizza, while strange... are completely entitled to their opinions. - Andrew Schreiber [more]
Home
Go Back   Chief Delphi > Technical > Technical Discussion
CD-Events   CD-Media   CD-Spy   FRC-Spy  
portal register members calendar search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ rules

Closed Thread
  #1   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-02-2012, 05:01 PM
FRC #4084

farmersvilleRob is infamous around these parts
Aluminum Strengths?

Any idea on the strength of any of the 6061, 6063 or other high grade "airplane" aluminum when it gets down to .125 and . 06275 of an inch? And are there any special ways we could have this aluminum piece be coated with something to electrically isolate it?
  #2   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-02-2012, 05:25 PM
FRC #0188 (Woburn Robotics)
Team Role: College Student

Rookie Year: 1999
Tristan Lall has a reputation beyond reputeTristan Lall has a reputation beyond reputeTristan Lall has a reputation beyond reputeTristan Lall has a reputation beyond reputeTristan Lall has a reputation beyond reputeTristan Lall has a reputation beyond reputeTristan Lall has a reputation beyond reputeTristan Lall has a reputation beyond reputeTristan Lall has a reputation beyond reputeTristan Lall has a reputation beyond reputeTristan Lall has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Aluminum Strengths?

For AA 6061 sheet, see page 3-264 of MMPDS-01. Be sure to verify the AMS specification to make sure you've got the right material for these tables.

AA 6063 is not a typical aircraft alloy—it's quite weak. (Actually, neither is AA 6061, but at least it's a fair bit stronger.)

AA 7075 (page 3-371) and AA 2024 (page 3-71) are more common high-strength aircraft alloys.

As for electrical isolation, maybe a paint or conformal coating? Epoxy-based, perhaps?
  #3   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-02-2012, 05:43 PM
Paul Copioli's Avatar Unsung FIRST Hero Woodie Flowers Award
#BuildBlitz #TeamCopioli
no team (TeamCopioli)
Team Role: Engineer

Rookie Year: 2000
Paul Copioli has a reputation beyond reputePaul Copioli has a reputation beyond reputePaul Copioli has a reputation beyond reputePaul Copioli has a reputation beyond reputePaul Copioli has a reputation beyond reputePaul Copioli has a reputation beyond reputePaul Copioli has a reputation beyond reputePaul Copioli has a reputation beyond reputePaul Copioli has a reputation beyond reputePaul Copioli has a reputation beyond reputePaul Copioli has a reputation beyond repute

When it comes to Aluminum you have to mind the post processing, too. 6061 is very weak, but 6061-T6 is quite strong. The T-6 designation is a quenching procedure in hot oil which increases both the yield and ultimate strength of aluminum. There are many other aluminum grades, like 5052-H34, which we use for all of our sheet metal.
  #4   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-02-2012, 06:02 PM
FIRST Senior Mentor Washington
FRC #2046 (Bear Metal)
Team Role: Mentor

Rookie Year: 2009
Mr V has a reputation beyond reputeMr V has a reputation beyond reputeMr V has a reputation beyond reputeMr V has a reputation beyond reputeMr V has a reputation beyond reputeMr V has a reputation beyond reputeMr V has a reputation beyond reputeMr V has a reputation beyond reputeMr V has a reputation beyond reputeMr V has a reputation beyond reputeMr V has a reputation beyond repute

For insulating it Plasti-Dip will work with proper application at the nominal 12v level. Depending on what you want to insulate the spray version may be the better choice.
  #5   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-02-2012, 06:09 PM
FRC #4084

Thanks guys. How thick would you guess that both of those insulators are when applied? I would like for what I'm isolating to be less than .125" but I'll take what I can get. Also, I meant 6061-T6 lol my bad.

edit: Would like the insulator I'm applying to be <.125"
  #6   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-02-2012, 06:35 PM
Simplicity by Design...
AKA: Tim Miedzinski
FRC #0836 (The RoboBees) & FRC401(Hokie Guard)

Rookie Year: 2004
tim-tim has a brilliant futuretim-tim has a brilliant futuretim-tim has a brilliant futuretim-tim has a brilliant futuretim-tim has a brilliant futuretim-tim has a brilliant futuretim-tim has a brilliant futuretim-tim has a brilliant futuretim-tim has a brilliant futuretim-tim has a brilliant futuretim-tim has a brilliant future

When you ask how strong or what the strength of something is, please provide more details in the application (i.e. bending, tension, compression, fatigue, fasteners, etc)

Some have mentioned typical alloys 5052-H34, 6061-T6, 7075-T6. In addition to these 5052-H32 and 2024-T3. This list contains the alloys that are (typically) used and kept in stock at the aircraft modification shop that i work at.

Also, is it extremely important to find a sheet of aluminum that is 0.06275"? The fractional size of 1/16th (0.0625") is usually sold as 0.063". Please inquire if you have any other questions. Sheet metal design can be very useful, IF you know how and where to use it.
2011 Chesapeake Regional Chairman's Award
  #7   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-02-2012, 07:16 PM
FIRST Senior Mentor Washington
FRC #2046 (Bear Metal)

Rookie Year: 2009
Mr V has a reputation beyond reputeMr V has a reputation beyond reputeMr V has a reputation beyond reputeMr V has a reputation beyond reputeMr V has a reputation beyond reputeMr V has a reputation beyond reputeMr V has a reputation beyond reputeMr V has a reputation beyond reputeMr V has a reputation beyond reputeMr V has a reputation beyond reputeMr V has a reputation beyond repute

Here is the Plasti Dip spec sheet. http://www.plastidip.com/docs/plastidip_uv.pdf How thick the coating is depends on how you apply it and how many coats you use. It claims a diectric strength of 1400v/mil but also recommends a minimum thickness of 12-15mil "for best results". So yes way less than 125mil
  #8   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-02-2012, 07:18 PM
FRC #4084

Quote:
Originally Posted by tim-tim View Post
When you ask how strong or what the strength of something is, please provide more details in the application (i.e. bending, tension, compression, fatigue, fasteners, etc)

Some have mentioned typical alloys 5052-H34, 6061-T6, 7075-T6. In addition to these 5052-H32 and 2024-T3. This list contains the alloys that are (typically) used and kept in stock at the aircraft modification shop that i work at.

Also, is it extremely important to find a sheet of aluminum that is 0.06275"? The fractional size of 1/16th (0.0625") is usually sold as 0.063". Please inquire if you have any other questions. Sheet metal design can be very useful, IF you know how and where to use it.
I'm sorry that I can't be detailed on the application, but the impulse on lets say just this 1/16th of an inch thick aluminum shape is ~4.5 Kg m/s of compression. The only other force would be an optional fastener (servo screw more than likely) that doesn't support anything. Also, this wouldn't be flat bought, but rather manufactured so beginning size isn't that big of an issue.
  #9   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-02-2012, 07:20 PM
FRC #4084

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr V View Post
Here is the Plasti Dip spec sheet. http://www.plastidip.com/docs/plastidip_uv.pdf How thick the coating is depends on how you apply it and how many coats you use. It claims a diectric strength of 1400v/mil but also recommends a minimum thickness of 12-15mil "for best results". So yes way less than 125mil
Thank you! I will definitely bring this up in our conference call.
  #10   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-02-2012, 10:26 PM
(Insert witty comment here)
FRC #0057 (The Leopards)

Rookie Year: 1998
Kevin Sevcik has a reputation beyond reputeKevin Sevcik has a reputation beyond reputeKevin Sevcik has a reputation beyond reputeKevin Sevcik has a reputation beyond reputeKevin Sevcik has a reputation beyond reputeKevin Sevcik has a reputation beyond reputeKevin Sevcik has a reputation beyond reputeKevin Sevcik has a reputation beyond reputeKevin Sevcik has a reputation beyond reputeKevin Sevcik has a reputation beyond reputeKevin Sevcik has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Kevin Sevcik Send a message via Yahoo to Kevin Sevcik

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Copioli View Post
When it comes to Aluminum you have to mind the post processing, too. 6061 is very weak, but 6061-T6 is quite strong. The T-6 designation is a quenching procedure in hot oil which increases both the yield and ultimate strength of aluminum. There are many other aluminum grades, like 5052-H34, which we use for all of our sheet metal.
Not to take things TOO far off track, but I was under the impression that -T6 temper was an artificial aging process that would just involve holding the material at a somewhat elevated temperature for a few hours. Specifically, 375F for about 9 hours, according to one google hit. I suppose you could do this in an oil bath, but I don't think I'd call it a quenching process....

Lone Star Regional Troubleshooter
  #11   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-03-2012, 03:05 AM
Paul Copioli's Avatar Unsung FIRST Hero Woodie Flowers Award
#BuildBlitz #TeamCopioli
no team (TeamCopioli)

Rookie Year: 2000
Paul Copioli has a reputation beyond reputePaul Copioli has a reputation beyond reputePaul Copioli has a reputation beyond reputePaul Copioli has a reputation beyond reputePaul Copioli has a reputation beyond reputePaul Copioli has a reputation beyond reputePaul Copioli has a reputation beyond reputePaul Copioli has a reputation beyond reputePaul Copioli has a reputation beyond reputePaul Copioli has a reputation beyond reputePaul Copioli has a reputation beyond repute

Kevin,

All of the -T tempers are "solution heat treated", then quenched. Sometimes water, sometimes oil. T6 is specifically at 900 degrees then artificially aged for 8ish hours after quench.

Paul
  #12   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-03-2012, 03:10 AM
FRC #0469

qzrrbz is a splendid one to beholdqzrrbz is a splendid one to beholdqzrrbz is a splendid one to beholdqzrrbz is a splendid one to beholdqzrrbz is a splendid one to beholdqzrrbz is a splendid one to beholdqzrrbz is a splendid one to behold

It's true! Paul is up 24x7 during comp season! :-)
  #13   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-07-2012, 08:30 AM
Gary Dillard's Avatar Unsung FIRST Hero
Generator of Entropy
AKA: you know, the old bald guy
FRC #2973 (The Mad Rockers)

Gary Dillard has a reputation beyond reputeGary Dillard has a reputation beyond reputeGary Dillard has a reputation beyond reputeGary Dillard has a reputation beyond reputeGary Dillard has a reputation beyond reputeGary Dillard has a reputation beyond reputeGary Dillard has a reputation beyond reputeGary Dillard has a reputation beyond reputeGary Dillard has a reputation beyond reputeGary Dillard has a reputation beyond reputeGary Dillard has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Gary Dillard

Be careful with 6XXX series aluminum in welded applications - the strength in the heat affected zone drops by as much as 75% (9 ksi instead of 36 ksi for 6061-T6 tensile yield).
  #14   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-07-2012, 09:06 AM
(Insert witty comment here)
FRC #0057 (The Leopards)

Kevin Sevcik has a reputation beyond reputeKevin Sevcik has a reputation beyond reputeKevin Sevcik has a reputation beyond reputeKevin Sevcik has a reputation beyond reputeKevin Sevcik has a reputation beyond reputeKevin Sevcik has a reputation beyond reputeKevin Sevcik has a reputation beyond reputeKevin Sevcik has a reputation beyond reputeKevin Sevcik has a reputation beyond reputeKevin Sevcik has a reputation beyond reputeKevin Sevcik has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Kevin Sevcik Send a message via Yahoo to Kevin Sevcik

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Copioli View Post
Kevin,

All of the -T tempers are "solution heat treated", then quenched. Sometimes water, sometimes oil. T6 is specifically at 900 degrees then artificially aged for 8ish hours after quench.

Paul
Shows how much I remember from my materials classes of almost a decade ago. Use it or lose it, as they say. So the heat treat goes Solutionizing -> Quenching -> Artificial Aging. Which makes sense now that I think about it.

Lone Star Regional Troubleshooter
  #15   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-07-2012, 01:50 PM
AKA: Roy Dumlao
FRC #4543 (Apollo Robotics)

Rookie Year: 2006
roystur44 has a reputation beyond reputeroystur44 has a reputation beyond reputeroystur44 has a reputation beyond reputeroystur44 has a reputation beyond reputeroystur44 has a reputation beyond reputeroystur44 has a reputation beyond reputeroystur44 has a reputation beyond reputeroystur44 has a reputation beyond reputeroystur44 has a reputation beyond reputeroystur44 has a reputation beyond reputeroystur44 has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to roystur44

Quote:
Originally Posted by farmersvilleRob View Post
Any idea on the strength of any of the 6061, 6063 or other high grade "airplane" aluminum when it gets down to .125 and . 06275 of an inch? And are there any special ways we could have this aluminum piece be coated with something to electrically isolate it?
Anodizing aluminum will make the surface of the metal non conductive. Painting, nylon dip, will also make the surface non conductive. Chem.-Film or alodine will coat the surface but will be electrically conductive.

Structural shapes like angles, tubes, extrusion, made from .125" 6061 material are plenty strong. Great for load bearing but a bit on the heavy side. We only use .125" thick alum for parts outside the bumper zone and we expect to be hit. We use .062" thick alum 6061 for most tubes. It is a good trade off for being lightweight and strong. Our shooter super structure for this years robot is made from .035 thick 1.25 dia round tube. We use a glued and rivet construction method and it is super strong and lightweight. We really did a good job.

We use 5052 H32 for all of our sheet metal parts. The chassis is made from .090" 5052. The brackets are mostly made from .062" 5052

Mentor/Sponsor
2006-2012 971
2013-2014 4543
Closed Thread

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: