Go to Post The code won't compile if you violate the rules of the programming language...but English is more robust, it seems to work pretty well no matter how we engineering nerds mangle it! - MrForbes [more]
Home
Go Back   Chief Delphi > Competition > Rules/Strategy
CD-Events   CD-Media   CD-Spy   FRC-Spy  
portal register members calendar search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ rules

Closed Thread
  #1   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-04-2012, 01:44 PM
FRC #3794

rhp3794 is an unknown quantity at this point
Exclamation Human players, kinect

Hi guys, i've got some doubts about the game!!

I've been watching alamo and san diego regional and any team is using the kinect does anybody know why??

also i saw that Bill tweeted that a human player made a hail mary in the 3 point hoop! but i dont know if that counts as score, can anybody tell me too if the ball enters to the hoop counts or not?
  #2   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-04-2012, 01:51 PM
AKA: Christopher May
FRC #0100 (Wildhats)
Team Role: Mechanical

Rookie Year: 2011
Randomness is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Human players, kinect

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhp3794 View Post
Hi guys, i've got some doubts about the game!!

I've been watching alamo and san diego regional and any team is using the kinect does anybody know why??

also i saw that Bill tweeted that a human player made a hail mary in the 3 point hoop! but i dont know if that counts as score, can anybody tell me too if the ball enters to the hoop counts or not?
Any balls made by the human player count. I believe that at least one team has used Kinect at San Diego, but I don't know how successfully.
  #3   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-04-2012, 01:52 PM
Safety Captain
AKA: Daniel Browne
FRC #1058 (PVC Pirates)

Rookie Year: 2012
littlejimmy1058 is an unknown quantity at this point

A human player can throw the ball at the last 30 seconds of a match. that is what the horn signals. If it goes in, congrats to the Human player and whatever the hoop is worth the points are given to the alliance. If not, better luck next time!

Teams use the Kinect as a way to use an autonomous however they want. A certain pose by the Human player controls the robot. FIRST is also thinking of using this as a control for teleop for teams who want to. Correct me if i am wrong on that.

"Lunacy will be played on a 27-by-54 foot field..."

Awards-
2012-Chairman's Award (Granite State Regional)
  #4   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-04-2012, 01:59 PM
I probably text you
AKA: @FRCZach
no team
Team Role: College Student

Rookie Year: 2009
Zach O has a reputation beyond reputeZach O has a reputation beyond reputeZach O has a reputation beyond reputeZach O has a reputation beyond reputeZach O has a reputation beyond reputeZach O has a reputation beyond reputeZach O has a reputation beyond reputeZach O has a reputation beyond reputeZach O has a reputation beyond reputeZach O has a reputation beyond reputeZach O has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Zach O

I saw no one at Kettering, and heard no one at Gull Lake used the Kinect this weekend.

Our human player also got some baskets this weekend. It's much more common (but difficult) than you'd imagine. He ended up scoring a total of 8 points the whole competition from throwing balls - 2 in the top hoop, and 2 into the bottom hoop
  #5   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-04-2012, 02:06 PM
FRC #3322 (Eagle Imperium)
Team Role: Leadership

Rookie Year: 2010
jyh947 is a splendid one to beholdjyh947 is a splendid one to beholdjyh947 is a splendid one to beholdjyh947 is a splendid one to beholdjyh947 is a splendid one to beholdjyh947 is a splendid one to beholdjyh947 is a splendid one to behold

Team 3322 conducted some Pre-scouting at Kettering and discovered that only one team responded with having the ability to use the Kinect.
Website Award, Imagery Award, Regional Winner - Livonia District

2011 Logomotion (Cuddles)
Imagery Award - Ann Arbor District
2010 Breakaway (Seizure)
Rookie All Star Award, Highest Rookie Seed - Ann Arbor District
Rookie All Star Award - Troy District

Last edited by jyh947 : 03-04-2012 at 02:19 PM.
  #6   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-04-2012, 02:15 PM
FRC #3794

well thanks to everybody, i think i'll still watching other regionals in the subject of kinect, in team 3794 we are better using autonomus than kinect, its very difficult, HOPE TO SEE YOU AT ST. LOIS!

GO TEAMS!
  #7   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-04-2012, 03:27 PM
FRC #1912 (Team Combustion)

Rookie Year: 2006
rachelholladay has a reputation beyond reputerachelholladay has a reputation beyond reputerachelholladay has a reputation beyond reputerachelholladay has a reputation beyond reputerachelholladay has a reputation beyond reputerachelholladay has a reputation beyond reputerachelholladay has a reputation beyond reputerachelholladay has a reputation beyond reputerachelholladay has a reputation beyond reputerachelholladay has a reputation beyond reputerachelholladay has a reputation beyond repute

Team 1912 Combustion will be using the Kinect at the Bayou Regional, Week 3. Beta tested it and got fairly comfortable

2006 - 2013: FIRST Team 1912 Combustion (Webmaster / Controls Capt / Beta Test Lead / Drive Capt / JrFLL Coach)
2013 Woodie Flowers Finalist for Wendy Holladay. 2010 - 2013 Regional Chairman's Award at the Bayou Regional. 2011 - 2012 Best Website at the Bayou Regional. 2010 - 2013 Beta Test Team for Hardware and LabVIEW. 2012 JrFLL State Expo Coordinator.
  #8   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-04-2012, 03:32 PM
Safety Captain
FRC #1058 (PVC Pirates)

Team 1058, my team, experimented with the kinect with logomotion robot this build season and it worked pretty well. attended GSR this weekend and next regional is boston, but we have code problems, and aren't sure if we will use the kinect.

Awards-
  #9   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-04-2012, 03:35 PM
Missouri S&T Freshman
FRC #2410 (BV CAPS Metal Mustang Robotics)

CalTran has a reputation beyond reputeCalTran has a reputation beyond reputeCalTran has a reputation beyond reputeCalTran has a reputation beyond reputeCalTran has a reputation beyond reputeCalTran has a reputation beyond reputeCalTran has a reputation beyond reputeCalTran has a reputation beyond reputeCalTran has a reputation beyond reputeCalTran has a reputation beyond reputeCalTran has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to CalTran

Over at Greater Kansas City, Team 1208, Metool Brigade, had hybrid mode kinect working. Some of their elims matches show it going well.

Team 2410 thinks KISSing is amazing! Keep It Super Safe!

Theory is when you know everything but nothing works. Practice is when everything works but you don't know why. On our team, theory and practice comes together. Nothing works and nobody knows why.
  #10   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-04-2012, 04:17 PM
FRC #3794

what do you recommend for team 3794??
  #11   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-04-2012, 04:19 PM
Missouri S&T Freshman

CalTran has a reputation beyond reputeCalTran has a reputation beyond reputeCalTran has a reputation beyond reputeCalTran has a reputation beyond reputeCalTran has a reputation beyond reputeCalTran has a reputation beyond reputeCalTran has a reputation beyond reputeCalTran has a reputation beyond reputeCalTran has a reputation beyond reputeCalTran has a reputation beyond reputeCalTran has a reputation beyond repute

Recommend in what sense?

Theory is when you know everything but nothing works. Practice is when everything works but you don't know why. On our team, theory and practice comes together. Nothing works and nobody knows why.
  #12   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-04-2012, 05:33 PM
Safety Captain
FRC #1058 (PVC Pirates)

whatever works for you guys. kinect will take code, but will give you a sort of teleop-autonomous hybrid. No kinect gives more time for improving code, but normal autonomous. Whatever works for you guys is always the best choice though!!

Awards-
  #13   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-04-2012, 07:02 PM
Mentor/Jack of all Trades
AKA: Juan Chong
FRC #3005 (The Conrad RoboChargers)
Team Role: Mentor

Rookie Year: 2008
juchong is an unknown quantity at this point

We believe that Kinect's usefulness is very limited. The only scenario I can see using the Kinect is for signaling the robot to begin shooting during autonomous. I don't mean for making minor adjustments or anything like that, I mean "wait until everyone's robots have finished shooting, then start shooting yourself such that you don't interfere with your alliance members' shots.
  #14   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-04-2012, 07:28 PM
Missouri S&T Freshman

Either the shooting mentioned, or if your accuracy (like ours) is slim, then use it to write code for your robot to bee-line it for a bridge and tip it in your favor for the balls. You'll be surprised how much of an advantage it can give your team to automatically have at least 2 more balls immediately beginning teleop

#15   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-04-2012, 07:39 PM
FRC #2158 (ausTIN Cans)

c.aldridge is an unknown quantity at this point

I was at the Alamo Regional in San Antonio this weekend and I don't believe anyone used it (or at least didn't see anyone do so.) I don't find the Kinect useful except as mentioned above when you can tell your robot the perfect time to start the autonomous. It also seems very unreliable being from the side of the robot and being able to line up correctly. Team 118 had auto tracking during autonomous which proved to be VERY consistent. Congratulations to the team that does use it successfully.
Closed Thread

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: