OCCRA
Go to Post Its not really a robotics competition. The robots are merely vehicles used to make society a better place, and to inspire the youth of the world to help one another, and to become more united. - Amanda M [more]
Home
Go Back   Chief Delphi > Technical > Technical Discussion
CD-Events   CD-Media   CD-Spy   FRC-Spy  
portal register members calendar search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ rules

Closed Thread
  #1   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-08-2012, 08:53 AM
FRC #0486

Stonemotmot is an unknown quantity at this point
Testing Camera Tracking while in the pits

Hello, My team would like to be able to test camera tracking while in the pits at our next compatition the only problem is that we are not allowed to run the robots through the wireless bridge. We have a 4 slot crio and as a result cant run camera while the robot is tethered. Is there anyway we can get this feed with out directly using the bridge.
  #2   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-08-2012, 09:14 AM
I feel better now.
AKA: Jared341
FRC #0254 (The Cheesy Poofs)
Team Role: Engineer

Rookie Year: 2001
Jared Russell has a reputation beyond reputeJared Russell has a reputation beyond reputeJared Russell has a reputation beyond reputeJared Russell has a reputation beyond reputeJared Russell has a reputation beyond reputeJared Russell has a reputation beyond reputeJared Russell has a reputation beyond reputeJared Russell has a reputation beyond reputeJared Russell has a reputation beyond reputeJared Russell has a reputation beyond reputeJared Russell has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Testing Camera Tracking while in the pits

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stonemotmot View Post
Hello, My team would like to be able to test camera tracking while in the pits at our next compatition the only problem is that we are not allowed to run the robots through the wireless bridge. We have a 4 slot crio and as a result cant run camera while the robot is tethered. Is there anyway we can get this feed with out directly using the bridge.
Plug the cRIO and Camera into the Bridge. Plug your laptop into the Bridge. Problem solved; you aren't using wireless to control the robot, you are just using the wired Ethernet ports.
  #3   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-08-2012, 09:50 AM
no team

RufflesRidge has much to be proud ofRufflesRidge has much to be proud ofRufflesRidge has much to be proud ofRufflesRidge has much to be proud ofRufflesRidge has much to be proud ofRufflesRidge has much to be proud ofRufflesRidge has much to be proud ofRufflesRidge has much to be proud ofRufflesRidge has much to be proud ofRufflesRidge has much to be proud of

When your DAP1522 is in Bridge mode is not broadcasting a signal. There should be no issue with plugging things in as Jared described and running in the pits.
  #4   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-08-2012, 12:04 PM
FRC #0486

Stonemotmot is an unknown quantity at this point

thanks guys.
  #5   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-08-2012, 12:49 PM
AKA: That's "Mr. Bill"
FRC #2073 (EagleForce)
Team Role: Mentor

Rookie Year: 2005
billbo911 has a reputation beyond reputebillbo911 has a reputation beyond reputebillbo911 has a reputation beyond reputebillbo911 has a reputation beyond reputebillbo911 has a reputation beyond reputebillbo911 has a reputation beyond reputebillbo911 has a reputation beyond reputebillbo911 has a reputation beyond reputebillbo911 has a reputation beyond reputebillbo911 has a reputation beyond reputebillbo911 has a reputation beyond repute

Another alternative is to simple bring a small switch with you. Unplug the Bridge, connect the switch in it's place and it should be smooth as silk and ZERO issues with the Bridge being on.

And BTW, the Bridge still does broadcast in Bridge mode, so don't be caught unaware.
2011 Sacramento Finalist, 2011 Madtown Engineering Inspiration Award
2012 Sacramento Semi-Finals, 2012 Sacramento Innovation in Control Award, 2012 SVR Judges Award.
2012 CalGames Autonomous Challenge Award winner ($$$).
2013 Pow3rhou53 Pwnage Gracious Professionalism Award.
2014 2X Rockwell Automation: Innovation in Control Award (CVR and SAC). Curie Division, Gracious Professionalism Award.
2014 Capital City Classic Winner AND Runner Up.
  #6   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-08-2012, 12:57 PM
Custom User Title
FRC #0254 (The Cheesy Poofs)
Team Role: Engineer

Rookie Year: 2003
Tom Bottiglieri has a reputation beyond reputeTom Bottiglieri has a reputation beyond reputeTom Bottiglieri has a reputation beyond reputeTom Bottiglieri has a reputation beyond reputeTom Bottiglieri has a reputation beyond reputeTom Bottiglieri has a reputation beyond reputeTom Bottiglieri has a reputation beyond reputeTom Bottiglieri has a reputation beyond reputeTom Bottiglieri has a reputation beyond reputeTom Bottiglieri has a reputation beyond reputeTom Bottiglieri has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Tom Bottiglieri

Quote:
Originally Posted by billbo911 View Post
Another alternative is to simple bring a small switch with you. Unplug the Bridge, connect the switch in it's place and it should be smooth as silk and ZERO issues with the Bridge being on.

And BTW, the Bridge still does broadcast in Bridge mode, so don't be caught unaware.
In bridge mode, the AP on your robot looks no different in the air than the phone in your pocket trying to associate with known wifi networks.

Team 254 | San Jose, CA | Mentor (2010 - Present)
Team 125 | Boston, MA | College Student (2007 - 2011)
Team 195 | Southington, CT | Student (2002 - 2006)
  #7   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-08-2012, 01:18 PM
AKA: That's "Mr. Bill"
FRC #2073 (EagleForce)

Rookie Year: 2005
billbo911 has a reputation beyond reputebillbo911 has a reputation beyond reputebillbo911 has a reputation beyond reputebillbo911 has a reputation beyond reputebillbo911 has a reputation beyond reputebillbo911 has a reputation beyond reputebillbo911 has a reputation beyond reputebillbo911 has a reputation beyond reputebillbo911 has a reputation beyond reputebillbo911 has a reputation beyond reputebillbo911 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Bottiglieri View Post
In bridge mode, the AP on your robot looks no different in the air than the phone in your pocket trying to associate with known wifi networks.
Tom,
It's my understanding that the Bridge will be receiving a signal, no doubt. But I also believe, and please correct me if I'm wrong, it will still generate a signal as part of it's process to "associate" with a network. Thus, it still broadcasts.
The only way I know of to completely silence the Bridge is to power it off.
Now whether that is truly necessary in the pits is debatable.
2011 Sacramento Finalist, 2011 Madtown Engineering Inspiration Award
2012 Sacramento Semi-Finals, 2012 Sacramento Innovation in Control Award, 2012 SVR Judges Award.
2012 CalGames Autonomous Challenge Award winner ($$$).
2013 Pow3rhou53 Pwnage Gracious Professionalism Award.
2014 2X Rockwell Automation: Innovation in Control Award (CVR and SAC). Curie Division, Gracious Professionalism Award.
2014 Capital City Classic Winner AND Runner Up.
  #8   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-08-2012, 01:40 PM
Alum, former programmer&co-captain
FRC #2472 (The Centurions)

Rookie Year: 2008
RoboMaster has a brilliant futureRoboMaster has a brilliant futureRoboMaster has a brilliant futureRoboMaster has a brilliant futureRoboMaster has a brilliant futureRoboMaster has a brilliant futureRoboMaster has a brilliant futureRoboMaster has a brilliant futureRoboMaster has a brilliant futureRoboMaster has a brilliant futureRoboMaster has a brilliant future

Last year the regional staff told us we had to have the radio in bridge mode, which worked fine and was "the rules." You can connect everything, including the camera, to the radio and they will communicate. You may have to configure the camera differently than if you plugged it into the cRIO, I'm not sure. Try it and see. If it doesn't work, try the camera setup tool (similar to the imaging tool).

In AP mode, the bridge creates its own network (the name is your team number) and handles the network part of the communication (AP means access point). This looks like a WiFi network to computers, phones, etc. and causes interference for the field.

In Bridge mode, it only tries to give wireless communication abillities to your non-wireless system (it's "being the bridge" in the connection), and will try/will be able to connect to a network. This is what it does on the field, it connects to the field's network. But it won't set up, manage, and broadcast the existance of a wireless network (as AP mode would do instead). But it does have 4 ports, so in the pits you can basically use it like a switch and wirelessly connect (tether) the parts of the system (in bridge mode).

That's my understanding; please correct me if I'm wrong. Hope that helps!

I'm not slacking, my code's compiling
...and I'm using LabVIEW
  #9   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-08-2012, 04:08 PM
FRC #1023 (Bedford Express)

Rookie Year: 2004
Bruce Meyer is on a distinguished road

RoboMaster is correct. Here's an even simpler way of understanding:

bridge mode = wireless client just like your laptop, phone, etc. = good
Closed Thread