OCCRA
Go to Post My brain is about as full as the ChiefDelphi servers have been lately with all the info from the past few days jammed in there. - Elgin Clock [more]
Home
Go Back   Chief Delphi > FIRST > General Forum
CD-Events   CD-Media   CD-Spy   FRC-Spy  
portal register members calendar search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ rules

#1   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-10-2012, 11:01 AM
AKA: Bryan
FRC #4676
Team Role: Programmer

Rookie Year: 2011
Nirvash has a spectacular aura aboutNirvash has a spectacular aura about
Team Shirts and sponsors

Hello CD,
This has come up in some of our team's recent meetings by some of the new members and a new mentor(New meaning this year, seeing as we are only a second year team). Should a team have their sponsor's on the back of the team t-shirts? This seems like a nobrainer to me and a lot of the team, and even though I expect I know what most of you would say, I thought that I'd see what the community here has to say.
  #2   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-10-2012, 11:26 AM
New year, new team
FRC #1197 (Torbots)
Team Role: Engineer

Rookie Year: 2003
EricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to EricH
Re: Team Shirts and sponsors

Yes.

Your sponsors are part of your official team name. They support you. It's only proper to recognize them; in fact, it's required to have sponsor logos on the robot.

It's also common to have a tiering system, such that the more the sponsor donates, the bigger the logo and the more places it is. Respect the sponsor's wishes as far as placement as much as you can, too.
2012: FRC4046 Schroedinger's Dragons

Read the rules and make a picklist before thinking about winning a competition.

"Rockets are tricky..."--Elon Musk
  #3   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-10-2012, 01:08 PM
AKA: Anthony Caliciuri
FRC #1305 (Near North Student Robotics Initiative)
Team Role: Leadership

Rookie Year: 2009
AJCaliciuri is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Skype™ to AJCaliciuri

Hey,
On our team, rather than putting our sponsors on our team shirts, we have Degrees of Sponsorship. The DoS outline various perks to sponsors depending on the amount (in-kind/monetary) they give us. For example:

Blizzard ($25+)
• PowerPoint recognition at official season launch
• Name on website
• Name in NNSRI’s Twelfth Chronicle – 200 page yearbook style binder

Ice Cap ($1000+)
• PowerPoint recognition at official season launch
• Logo on website
• Logo in “Pit” PowerPoint
• Logo in “Pit”
• Logo on robot
• Logo in NNSRI’s Twelfth Chronicle – 200 page yearbook style binder
• Recognition in Team Business Plan

North Pole $20,000+
• PowerPoint recognition at official launch
• Logo on website
• Logo in “Pit” PowerPoint
• Logo has dominance in the “Pit”
• A member of your organization travels with the team to any selected event.
• Name and logo/slogan on all sides of the packing crate
• Link to your business on our website
• Logo in NNSRI’s Twelfth Chronicle – 200 page yearbook style binder
• Recognition in Team Business Plan
• Naming of FIRST Robotics Competition (FRC) robot
(We currently don't have any North Pole sponsors)

Check out the full DoS here: http://team1305.org/sponsors/sponsorship-degrees/

To sum up, although sponsors do a lot for your team and you want to recognize their contributions, there are many other ways to do it.
  #4   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-10-2012, 03:33 PM
Teacher
AKA: Allan Cameron
FRC #0842 (Falcon Robotics)
Team Role: Teacher

Rookie Year: 2002
N7UJJ has a reputation beyond reputeN7UJJ has a reputation beyond reputeN7UJJ has a reputation beyond reputeN7UJJ has a reputation beyond reputeN7UJJ has a reputation beyond reputeN7UJJ has a reputation beyond reputeN7UJJ has a reputation beyond reputeN7UJJ has a reputation beyond reputeN7UJJ has a reputation beyond reputeN7UJJ has a reputation beyond reputeN7UJJ has a reputation beyond repute

Many years ago, we were interviewed by the local newspaper. We were sure to mention who our sponsors were and the paper printed thier names... except one. We explained to our sponsor that we surly gave them credit, but the writer dropped their name.

So...

Since that time, team 842 has always had our sponsors anmes and logos on the FRONT of out t-shirts. Whenever we get media coverage and there is a picture or a video, our sponsors see that we are doing our best to credit them.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MnzIYVUJzzM
  #5   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-10-2012, 08:55 PM
Survived year 1–year 2 comes quick!
AKA: @WmLeverette, @GarnetSq, @SCRIW...
FRC #4901 (Garnet Squadron); FLL #7016/7017 (Garnet Squadron Alfa/Bravo)
Team Role: Mentor

Rookie Year: 2004
Billfred has a reputation beyond reputeBillfred has a reputation beyond reputeBillfred has a reputation beyond reputeBillfred has a reputation beyond reputeBillfred has a reputation beyond reputeBillfred has a reputation beyond reputeBillfred has a reputation beyond reputeBillfred has a reputation beyond reputeBillfred has a reputation beyond reputeBillfred has a reputation beyond reputeBillfred has a reputation beyond repute

We've done it three of our four years (the first year was a bit of an oddity). The threshold to get on the shirt has varied--some years, it was the big-money sponsors. This year, the fundraising letter went out with a much lower threshold to get on the shirt. We honored it and made it work (the image is sitting in the CD-Media moderation queue).

But yes, do it. And if you've got room in the budget, give them a shirt too.
Billfred's World Tour: USC Kickoff Palmetto CMP Robot Rodeo Manchester Kickoff Florida Palmetto CMP Capital Clash USC Kickoff FVC Orangeburg Florida Peachtree Palmetto CMP Mission Mayhem Exploding Bacon Vex Event Duel on the Delaware CalGames USC Kickoff Florida Chesapeake Palmetto CMP BattleCry Mission Mayhem Brunswick Eruption 6 Clemson Kickoff Chesapeake Palmetto CMP IRI TNT Greenville Tech Scrimmage Bayou Palmetto CMP IRI GRITS TNT Bayou Palmetto CMP IRI Citadel Kickoff Peachtree Palmetto CMP IRI TNT SCRIW Citadel Kickoff Peachtree Palmetto Championship IRI SCRIW II Chapin Kickoff Palmetto South Florida IRI SCRIW III Chapin Kickoff SC FTC CMP Palmetto SC FLL CMP Orlando CMP Midknight Mayhem SCRIW IV (51,569.9 miles, and still on a mission from Bob)

Rule #1: Do not die. Rule #2: Be respectful. Rule #3: Be safe. Rule #4: Follow the handbook.
  #6   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-11-2012, 04:55 PM
Professional Peon
AKA: Max Vrany
FRC #1306 (BadgerBOTS)
Team Role: College Student

cgmv123 has a reputation beyond reputecgmv123 has a reputation beyond reputecgmv123 has a reputation beyond reputecgmv123 has a reputation beyond reputecgmv123 has a reputation beyond reputecgmv123 has a reputation beyond reputecgmv123 has a reputation beyond reputecgmv123 has a reputation beyond reputecgmv123 has a reputation beyond reputecgmv123 has a reputation beyond reputecgmv123 has a reputation beyond repute

Here's our tiering system: http://www.badgerbots.org/get-involved/donate/

2013 Wisconsin Regional Chairman's Award
2012 FIRST Championship Archimedes Division

2012 Wisconsin Regional Engineering Inspiration Award, Woodie Flowers Finalist Award (Lead Mentor Ben Senson), Semi-Finalist (1732/1714)
2011 Wisconsin Regional Innovation in Control Award
  #7   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-27-2012, 03:03 PM
AKA: Ramirez
FRC #1212 (The Sentinels)

Rookie Year: 2010
thenomnivore is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nirvash View Post
Hello CD,
This has come up in some of our team's recent meetings by some of the new members and a new mentor(New meaning this year, seeing as we are only a second year team). Should a team have their sponsor's on the back of the team t-shirts? This seems like a nobrainer to me and a lot of the team, and even though I expect I know what most of you would say, I thought that I'd see what the community here has to say.
What i am really worried is if their is a limitations on who can be a FIRST team sponsor.
ie. people in the business of alcoholic or energy drinks
  #8   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-27-2012, 03:08 PM
FRC Team 5125 - Mentor
AKA: Sravan S
FRC #5125 (Hawks on the Horizon)

Rookie Year: 2007
popnbrown has a reputation beyond reputepopnbrown has a reputation beyond reputepopnbrown has a reputation beyond reputepopnbrown has a reputation beyond reputepopnbrown has a reputation beyond reputepopnbrown has a reputation beyond reputepopnbrown has a reputation beyond reputepopnbrown has a reputation beyond reputepopnbrown has a reputation beyond reputepopnbrown has a reputation beyond reputepopnbrown has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by thenomnivore View Post
What i am really worried is if their is a limitations on who can be a FIRST team sponsor.
That's a really good point. I'm not sure what I would do if approached by a alcoholic drink business or similar type of business. I think it would be inappropriate and wouldn't encourage such a relation.

I don't see anything against energy drinks though.

FRC Team 5125 Hawks on the Horizon Mentor
FRC Team 4096 Ctrl-Z Former Mentor
FTC Team 5203 #19@! Former Mentor
FRC Team 1403 Cougar Robotics Alumni
  #9   Spotlight this post!  
The Crazy Blonde
AKA: Cassie
FRC #0103 (Cybersonics)

Rookie Year: 1997
Dancin103 has a reputation beyond reputeDancin103 has a reputation beyond reputeDancin103 has a reputation beyond reputeDancin103 has a reputation beyond reputeDancin103 has a reputation beyond reputeDancin103 has a reputation beyond reputeDancin103 has a reputation beyond reputeDancin103 has a reputation beyond reputeDancin103 has a reputation beyond reputeDancin103 has a reputation beyond reputeDancin103 has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Dancin103

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nirvash View Post
Hello CD,
Should a team have their sponsor's on the back of the team t-shirts?
YES!

We put the sponsors on the robot, t-shirts, newsletters, and many more things if they gave us $1,000 or more. If they give less, they still get mentioned on our team website. It's a nice thank you to your sponsors.

2010 Florida Regional Woodie Flowers Award - Cathy Beck
2011 Florida Regional Woodie Flowers Award - Jack Tusman
  #10   Spotlight this post!  
Work it harder, make it better.
AKA: SuperNerd256
FRC #1323 (Madtown Robotics)
Team Role: College Student

Andrew Lawrence has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Lawrence has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Lawrence has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Lawrence has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Lawrence has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Lawrence has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Lawrence has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Lawrence has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Lawrence has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Lawrence has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Lawrence has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Andrew Lawrence

Quote:
Originally Posted by thenomnivore View Post
Look at it this way. If we can get Monster to support FIRST, think how many people drink Monster.

While I would be weary of alcohol sponsors, you never know what kind of an audience is open to FIRST.

"The greats weren't great because at birth they could paint, the greats were great because they paint a lot" -Macklemore
  #11   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-27-2012, 03:14 PM
New year, new team
FRC #1197 (Torbots)

Rookie Year: 2003
EricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to EricH

Officially, I don't remember seeing any limitations. However, companies would need to think through the implications of sponsoring various groups--to take the alcoholic drink example, if I'm a company that sells those, I don't necessarily want to have my name/logo all over a high school competition, because I could be seen as promoting underage drinking. So if I DO sponsor such a competition/team, I'm going to either do it through a proxy that most people won't recognize as being part of the company (or as a personal thing) or ask them for complete secrecy on everything except paperwork that is absolutely required (say, team financials). Which kind of defeats some of the point of sponsorship...
2012: FRC4046 Schroedinger's Dragons

Read the rules and make a picklist before thinking about winning a competition.

"Rockets are tricky..."--Elon Musk
  #12   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-27-2012, 03:14 PM
Unsung FIRST Hero Woodie Flowers Award
My Other Car is a 500 HP Turbine
FRC #0234 (Cyber Blue)

Rookie Year: 1942
Chris Fultz has a reputation beyond reputeChris Fultz has a reputation beyond reputeChris Fultz has a reputation beyond reputeChris Fultz has a reputation beyond reputeChris Fultz has a reputation beyond reputeChris Fultz has a reputation beyond reputeChris Fultz has a reputation beyond reputeChris Fultz has a reputation beyond reputeChris Fultz has a reputation beyond reputeChris Fultz has a reputation beyond reputeChris Fultz has a reputation beyond repute

We have baseball style jerseys that we have used for about 7 years. They do not have sponsors on them so that they can be used for multiple seasons. These are our Friday / Saturday shirts at competitions.

Each year we do a "sponsor t-shirt" that has our major sponsors on it. We wear it on Thursdays at competitions.

We also do a "team t-shirt" that only has our team name and number on it.

Since we are a youth / school organization, we will not accept sponsorships from bars, pubs, alcohol or tobacco companies, or gun shops.
2010 - Woodie Flowers Award - Championship
  #13   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-27-2012, 05:18 PM
AKA: Ellen McIsaac
FRC #1124 (ÜberBots)

Rookie Year: 2005
smurfgirl has a reputation beyond reputesmurfgirl has a reputation beyond reputesmurfgirl has a reputation beyond reputesmurfgirl has a reputation beyond reputesmurfgirl has a reputation beyond reputesmurfgirl has a reputation beyond reputesmurfgirl has a reputation beyond reputesmurfgirl has a reputation beyond reputesmurfgirl has a reputation beyond reputesmurfgirl has a reputation beyond reputesmurfgirl has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to smurfgirl

We recognize our sponsors (anyone who gives us over $250) by displaying their logos on the back of our t-shirts, in our pamphlets, on our website, and on our robot. The more money the sponsor give us, the more prominence we give to their logo.
  #14   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-27-2012, 10:37 PM
AKA: Ramirez
FRC #1212 (The Sentinels)

Rookie Year: 2010
thenomnivore is an unknown quantity at this point

while my school has encouraged and us to disassociate ourselves from alcohol distributes, we can still accept money without giving acknowledgement. (it seems a bit harsh to me, but c'est la vie) we still are pushing ourselves to get sponsored from Monster. who knows, maybe it'll open more doors to more teams.
  #15   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-28-2012, 03:05 PM
Gotta Go Fast
AKA: Shakeel Madhav
FRC #1759 (P.O.T.A.T.O.E.S.)
Team Role: Driver

Rookie Year: 2009
Pun-isher is an unknown quantity at this point

We actually went with making all of our sponsors' logos equal sized for aesthetic purposes, although the same template we used on the back of the shirts was reused for our robot. We had to end up cutting much of the sticker up due to lexan space, but it got every sponsor across, ensuring that one didn't overly stand out or one was hidden away.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: