OCCRA
Go to Post You know, one year we need to stake out the AndyMark building for several weeks before Kickoff so we can see what the game pieces will be. Hidden webcam? :rolleyes: - DonRotolo [more]
Home
Go Back   Chief Delphi > Competition > Regional Competitions
CD-Events   CD-Media   CD-Spy   FRC-Spy  
portal register members calendar search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ rules

Closed Thread
  #1   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-13-2012, 12:38 PM
systems engineer (retired)
no team

Rookie Year: 1969
Ether has a reputation beyond reputeEther has a reputation beyond reputeEther has a reputation beyond reputeEther has a reputation beyond reputeEther has a reputation beyond reputeEther has a reputation beyond reputeEther has a reputation beyond reputeEther has a reputation beyond reputeEther has a reputation beyond reputeEther has a reputation beyond reputeEther has a reputation beyond repute
Chesapeake scoring error?

Can someone please explain how the 10-10 score was calculated from the attached Twitter feed ?

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	MD Q 95 scoring error.png
Views:	321
Size:	11.0 KB
ID:	12309  
  #2   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-13-2012, 01:56 PM
AKA: George Boyce
FRC #0053 (Cow Abductors)
Team Role: Mentor

Rookie Year: 2010
LinuxArchitect is a name known to allLinuxArchitect is a name known to allLinuxArchitect is a name known to allLinuxArchitect is a name known to allLinuxArchitect is a name known to allLinuxArchitect is a name known to all
Re: Chesapeake scoring error?

My best guess is that I think the refs have a station where they can input fouls as they occur. But if they don't, they can verbally tell the scoring table. I remember seeing a score that didn't add up because of a missing foul; it might have been this one.

I know the student drive team are the only people who can get a score adjusted; I pointed out a missed foul and they just said, get a kid to report it.
  #3   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-13-2012, 02:21 PM
no team

Ether has a reputation beyond reputeEther has a reputation beyond reputeEther has a reputation beyond reputeEther has a reputation beyond reputeEther has a reputation beyond reputeEther has a reputation beyond reputeEther has a reputation beyond reputeEther has a reputation beyond reputeEther has a reputation beyond reputeEther has a reputation beyond reputeEther has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by LinuxArchitect View Post
My best guess is that I think the refs have a station where they can input fouls as they occur. But if they don't, they can verbally tell the scoring table. I remember seeing a score that didn't add up because of a missing foul; it might have been this one.

I know the student drive team are the only people who can get a score adjusted; I pointed out a missed foul and they just said, get a kid to report it.
So if I understand you correctly, if this occurs then the Twitter feed never gets updated/corrected ?

#4   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-13-2012, 02:40 PM
Mentor - Scouting and Strategy
AKA: Steve
FRC #0836 (RoboBees)

Rookie Year: 2004
SteveGPage has a reputation beyond reputeSteveGPage has a reputation beyond reputeSteveGPage has a reputation beyond reputeSteveGPage has a reputation beyond reputeSteveGPage has a reputation beyond reputeSteveGPage has a reputation beyond reputeSteveGPage has a reputation beyond reputeSteveGPage has a reputation beyond reputeSteveGPage has a reputation beyond reputeSteveGPage has a reputation beyond reputeSteveGPage has a reputation beyond repute

I recall wondering the same thing when that score came up. It did not show a penalty, but showed the final score on the screen immedatiely after the match as a 10-10 tie, even though the numbers didn't add up. So it was not something that was adjusted after the match via a student challenge.

• 2014 Regionals: Raleigh, Pittsburgh, Championships
  • 2014 Pittsburgh Regional EI Award and Regional Winners (Thanks to 3260, 4547)
  • 2014 Galileo Excellence in Engineering Award
  • 2013 Palmetto Regional Chairman's Award
  • 2012 Chesapeake Regional Chairman's Award
  • 2011 Chesapeake Regional Chairman's Award
  • 2010 "Hot Shot" World Championship Winning Alliance (Thanks to 2863, 3864)
www.robobees.org
www.growingSTEMS.org
  #5   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-13-2012, 04:23 PM
AKA: George Boyce
FRC #0053 (Cow Abductors)

LinuxArchitect is a name known to allLinuxArchitect is a name known to allLinuxArchitect is a name known to allLinuxArchitect is a name known to allLinuxArchitect is a name known to allLinuxArchitect is a name known to all

Right, it was 10-7 until the end, then the 10-10 score popped up. Everyone with good eyesight (not me) could see that the foul score was 0, not 3. But I saw the ref call the foul after he had left his station. I couldn't figure out what the foul was about.
  #6   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-13-2012, 04:30 PM
no team

Quote:
Originally Posted by LinuxArchitect View Post
Right, it was 10-7 until the end, then the 10-10 score popped up. Everyone with good eyesight (not me) could see that the foul score was 0, not 3. But I saw the ref call the foul after he had left his station. I couldn't figure out what the foul was about.
Thank you for that insight.

If that's the case there appears to be a bug in the Twitter feed process. The score got reported as 10-10 in the Tweet but the Foul Points were not reported.

#7   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-13-2012, 05:52 PM
Simplicity by Design...
AKA: Tim Miedzinski
FRC #0836 (The RoboBees) & FRC401(Hokie Guard)

Rookie Year: 2004
tim-tim has a brilliant futuretim-tim has a brilliant futuretim-tim has a brilliant futuretim-tim has a brilliant futuretim-tim has a brilliant futuretim-tim has a brilliant futuretim-tim has a brilliant futuretim-tim has a brilliant futuretim-tim has a brilliant futuretim-tim has a brilliant futuretim-tim has a brilliant future

Yes, Steve Shade (Head Ref) announced after the match score was displayed that there was a penalty and ultimately caused the match to be tied at 10.

I did not catch the foul call, but do know he announced a 3 point foul.

Why it was not shown on the screen/fms beats me though...
2011 Chesapeake Regional Chairman's Award

Last edited by tim-tim : 03-14-2012 at 11:40 AM. Reason: spelling correction. Sorry Steve, and Thanks Jenny!
  #8   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-13-2012, 07:04 PM
Joe Ross's Avatar Unsung FIRST Hero
FRC #0330 (Beachbots)
Team Role: Engineer

Rookie Year: 1997
Joe Ross has a reputation beyond reputeJoe Ross has a reputation beyond reputeJoe Ross has a reputation beyond reputeJoe Ross has a reputation beyond reputeJoe Ross has a reputation beyond reputeJoe Ross has a reputation beyond reputeJoe Ross has a reputation beyond reputeJoe Ross has a reputation beyond reputeJoe Ross has a reputation beyond reputeJoe Ross has a reputation beyond reputeJoe Ross has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ether View Post
If that's the case there appears to be a bug in the Twitter feed process. The score got reported as 10-10 in the Tweet but the Foul Points were not reported.
Since George said that the foul was not displayed on the screen either, I would consider it a data entry problem, and not a twitter problem.
  #9   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-13-2012, 09:23 PM
AKA: Steven
FRC #0237 (Black Magic)
Team Role: College Student

donnie99 will become famous soon enough

That might not be the case with the foul.

Team 237 talked to the head referee on the matter of the bonus points scored during hybrid. He said that the ball scores when it passes through the hoop. With the way the clock system goes straight to tele-operated mode with no delay in between, a ball that was scored during hybrid might not be counted until after tele-operated starts. The referee said that if that happened, they would note it and adjust the score after the match had concluded, not during. This happens to us on our second shot, and if we tell the referees about this, then it would help to verify the score of a match.

Whatever the problem is, it's our problem, and we have to fix it.
  #10   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-13-2012, 09:30 PM
no team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Ross View Post
Since George said that the foul was not displayed on the screen either, I would consider it a data entry problem, and not a twitter problem.
Agreed. By "Twitter feed process" I meant the whole process (chain of events) including data entry.

I know it's a minor thing that few people care about, but I wonder if there is a continuous-improvement lesson to be learned here; perhaps a process change of some sort. I came across several other similar errors when studying the data, so it's not a one-time thing, and likely to recur.

#11   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-14-2012, 07:44 AM
Unsung FIRST Hero
people expediter on Team Kluge
AKA: Jenny Beatty, no relation
no team (they are all my teams)

Rookie Year: 2002
RoboMom has a reputation beyond reputeRoboMom has a reputation beyond reputeRoboMom has a reputation beyond reputeRoboMom has a reputation beyond reputeRoboMom has a reputation beyond reputeRoboMom has a reputation beyond reputeRoboMom has a reputation beyond reputeRoboMom has a reputation beyond reputeRoboMom has a reputation beyond reputeRoboMom has a reputation beyond reputeRoboMom has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by tim-tim View Post
Yes, Steve Shay (Head Ref)
Steve Shade.
This is How I Work: http://www.chiefdelphi.com/media/papers/2862
Closed Thread

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: