Go to Post Saying that something cannot be done, is always good inspiration for someone to find a way to do it. - Josh Hambright [more]
Home
Go Back   Chief Delphi > FIRST > General Forum
CD-Events   CD-Media   CD-Spy   FRC-Spy  
portal register members calendar search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ rules

#1   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-20-2012, 05:12 PM
Grow Up? Why?
FRC #0610
Team Role: Mentor

Rookie Year: 2002
Steve W has a reputation beyond reputeSteve W has a reputation beyond reputeSteve W has a reputation beyond reputeSteve W has a reputation beyond reputeSteve W has a reputation beyond reputeSteve W has a reputation beyond reputeSteve W has a reputation beyond reputeSteve W has a reputation beyond reputeSteve W has a reputation beyond reputeSteve W has a reputation beyond reputeSteve W has a reputation beyond repute
CoOpertition or Ranking Bridge?

I have been thinking about this since talking with others. I know what FIRST calls it but is that what it really is? I would like to hear other opinion and discussion. Please ponder the question before jumping in with an answer. You may start to question as I have.
  #2   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-20-2012, 06:41 PM
Physics Teacher
AKA: Tom Zook
FRC #4276 (Viking Robotics)
Team Role: Teacher

Rookie Year: 2011
SenorZ has a brilliant futureSenorZ has a brilliant futureSenorZ has a brilliant futureSenorZ has a brilliant futureSenorZ has a brilliant futureSenorZ has a brilliant futureSenorZ has a brilliant futureSenorZ has a brilliant futureSenorZ has a brilliant futureSenorZ has a brilliant futureSenorZ has a brilliant future
Re: CoOpertition or Ranking Bridge?

Look at the rankings at you local regional. At Los Angeles the average Coopertition points for the top 8 teams was 7.5. The overall average was 3.6.

If you have the ability to reliably balance you can get some BPs. If you are on an alliance with other good bridge robots you're going to rack up a lot of extra QS points, and a much higher ranking as a result.
  #3   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-20-2012, 06:47 PM
Here comes StuyPulse
AKA: Joe Blay
FRC #0694 (StuyPulse)
Team Role: Coach

Rookie Year: 2006
jblay has a reputation beyond reputejblay has a reputation beyond reputejblay has a reputation beyond reputejblay has a reputation beyond reputejblay has a reputation beyond reputejblay has a reputation beyond reputejblay has a reputation beyond reputejblay has a reputation beyond reputejblay has a reputation beyond reputejblay has a reputation beyond reputejblay has a reputation beyond repute

I thought about it as a ranking bridge before we played for the first time this weekend. Then I remember pointing to the other drive team smiling and telling the other alliance's driver that he did some great driving after the match, if that's not coopertition and the spirit of FIRST then I don't know what is.
2011 CMP 5th Alliance Captains & Quarter Finalists 2011 Connecticut Chairman's
2010 Connecticut Chairman's
2010 NYC Champions
2008 NYC Engineering Inspiration
2007 NYC Finalists
2006 NYC Finalists
2005 NYC Chairman's
2003 NYC Champions
2002 NYC Engineering Inspiration
2001 NYC Finalists
  #4   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-20-2012, 07:23 PM
AKA: Joe Barry
FRC #0987 (HIGH ROLLERS)
Team Role: Coach

Rookie Year: 2002
JB987 has a reputation beyond reputeJB987 has a reputation beyond reputeJB987 has a reputation beyond reputeJB987 has a reputation beyond reputeJB987 has a reputation beyond reputeJB987 has a reputation beyond reputeJB987 has a reputation beyond reputeJB987 has a reputation beyond reputeJB987 has a reputation beyond reputeJB987 has a reputation beyond reputeJB987 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by SenorZ View Post
Look at the rankings at you local regional. At Los Angeles the average Coopertition points for the top 8 teams was 7.5. The overall average was 3.6.

If you have the ability to reliably balance you can get some BPs. If you are on an alliance with other good bridge robots you're going to rack up a lot of extra QS points, and a much higher ranking as a result.
I'm not sure I totally agree. A team can accumulate a lot of coopertition points even without reliance on their partners balancing the alliance bridge. In 9 matches our alliances only earned 20 bridge points total. What is needed is a cushion of HP/TP's to feel safe enough to spend up to half the teleop period on the coop bridge hoping that the pre-arranged balance comes to fruition (and that the other teams follow through with the agreement to at least try to balance with you...which happened all but one match for us as I recall).
  #5   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-20-2012, 09:02 PM
Physics Teacher
AKA: Tom Zook
FRC #4276 (Viking Robotics)
Team Role: Teacher

Rookie Year: 2011
SenorZ has a brilliant futureSenorZ has a brilliant futureSenorZ has a brilliant futureSenorZ has a brilliant futureSenorZ has a brilliant futureSenorZ has a brilliant futureSenorZ has a brilliant futureSenorZ has a brilliant futureSenorZ has a brilliant futureSenorZ has a brilliant futureSenorZ has a brilliant future

Sorry for being a little vague/brief. What I meant was that if a win was in doubt teams might go for bridge points, but if shooting had secured the win then coop usually took place. Most alliances that got several coops also had good win/loss records.
  #6   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-20-2012, 10:25 PM
I Like Playing Robots
FRC #1983 (Skunkworks Robotics)

Rookie Year: 2007
Dave McLaughlin has a brilliant futureDave McLaughlin has a brilliant futureDave McLaughlin has a brilliant futureDave McLaughlin has a brilliant futureDave McLaughlin has a brilliant futureDave McLaughlin has a brilliant futureDave McLaughlin has a brilliant futureDave McLaughlin has a brilliant futureDave McLaughlin has a brilliant futureDave McLaughlin has a brilliant futureDave McLaughlin has a brilliant future

In my eyes it is the control removal bridge, chaos inducer bridge, or collusion bonus bridge. In previous years it was clear that winning a match was the only way to guarantee that you'd have the best odds at seeding high. In nearly all cases winning or losing a match is something that your team and, as an extension, the robot you have built have a good degree of control over. Additionally, a win is often rewarded to the team who's robots plays the game with the greatest ability.

In the case of this year, a team who is unable to field a robot for the entirety of a regional has the potential to seed above all other participating teams. While the odds of this are slim, this scenario demonstrates what is in my opinion an underlying flaw to the ranking system. To continue, teams have also lost the ability to control half of the available ranking points possible during each match. So, in another scenario, an undefeated robot whose opposing alliance was always unable, or unwilling, to cooperate, could likely seed below teams with multiple losses whose opposition had been more able or agreeing.

I understand that the widely accepted message of first is that the robot is just a vehicle, and the competition is merely a celebration of all that has been accomplished. But this is, after all, a robot competition. And as such it is my belief that this competition should celebrate those who play the game with the greatest skill. The CoOpertition bridge often affords an opportunity to an opposing team to snub someone based on personal vendetta, peer pressure, or whatever else.

Email | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Twitch

Last edited by Dave McLaughlin : 03-20-2012 at 10:46 PM. Reason: Grammer
  #7   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-20-2012, 10:44 PM
worse then failing: proving murphy
FRC #1619 (Up-A-Creek Robotics) and FTC # 4633)
Team Role: College Student

Peck will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave McLaughlin View Post
The CoOpertition bridge often affords an opportunity to an opposing team snub someone based on personal vendetta, peer pressure, or whatever else.
Teams remember when someone snubs them and word gets around. If you agree to balance then go against that, you become less desirable to the other teams which means you are effectively hurting yourself twice (not getting the points and getting a negative consideration by possible alliance teams).

TEAM 1619
__UP-A-Creek Robotics__
It ain't done till it's over-done
  #8   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-20-2012, 10:48 PM
I Like Playing Robots
FRC #1983 (Skunkworks Robotics)

Dave McLaughlin has a brilliant futureDave McLaughlin has a brilliant futureDave McLaughlin has a brilliant futureDave McLaughlin has a brilliant futureDave McLaughlin has a brilliant futureDave McLaughlin has a brilliant futureDave McLaughlin has a brilliant futureDave McLaughlin has a brilliant futureDave McLaughlin has a brilliant futureDave McLaughlin has a brilliant futureDave McLaughlin has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peck View Post
Teams remember when someone snubs them and word gets around. If you agree to balance then go against that, you become less desirable to the other teams which means you are effectively hurting yourself twice (not getting the points and getting a negative consideration by possible alliance teams).
While I agree with you, this does not exclude "snubbing" from occurring. It has happened to such degree that the GDC released a statement regarding behavior of this sort.

Email | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Twitch
  #9   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-20-2012, 11:03 PM
Intern - EmbedTek
AKA: Cory Rypkema
FRC #0706
Team Role: Alumni

Rookie Year: 2010
~Cory~ is a splendid one to behold~Cory~ is a splendid one to behold~Cory~ is a splendid one to behold~Cory~ is a splendid one to behold~Cory~ is a splendid one to behold~Cory~ is a splendid one to behold~Cory~ is a splendid one to behold

Coopertition Bridge.

Last year the minibot poles were what I would call "ranking" as coopertition really had nothing to do with it...
'11-'13 Captain, Cyberhawks 706
'13 Buckeye Finalist
'12 Dean's List Finalist
'10 Wisconsin Finalists and Design in Innovation winner

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: