OCCRA
Go to Post Finally, I would like to thank my wife (I hope she remembers me.) To all the FIRST widows out there, THANK YOU! - Ken Loyd [more]
Home
Go Back   Chief Delphi > FIRST > General Forum
CD-Events   CD-Media   CD-Spy   FRC-Spy  
portal register members calendar search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ rules

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
  #1   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-23-2012, 09:39 PM
AKA: Kirill Safin
FRC #3992 (Eagles Robotics Xperience)
Team Role: Leadership

Rookie Year: 2012
ksafin has a brilliant futureksafin has a brilliant futureksafin has a brilliant futureksafin has a brilliant futureksafin has a brilliant futureksafin has a brilliant futureksafin has a brilliant futureksafin has a brilliant futureksafin has a brilliant futureksafin has a brilliant futureksafin has a brilliant future
FIRST: The Varsity Sport of the Mind!

Hey everyone,

This post shouldn't be too long, but if you can, I'd appreciate if you read it and listened to my quick story, and a call to action I have with it..

Last year, I was a freshman that just came to High School. Now, I came to my High School because its academics were phenomenal. It has a great IB Program, great teachers, and great classes that I was dying to take. My other option was a school with a robotics team, a computer science program, and a MSE (Math Science Engineering) program. However, that school was too far from me to attend.

So, I came into this school as a Computer Science kid. I loved programming, I did it daily for fun and as a hobby. I made websites. I made websites for every club in the school, in fact. But there comes a point where I wanted to do more and get more involved in what I enjoyed. So I started a club; Programming Club. We met once weekly and just programmed, learned about programming, and did fun things. It didn't garner too much attention. So aside from the fact that I liked programming, above all I wanted to get others to enjoy it as well. So then comes my Sophomore Year.

Sophomore year, I discovered FIRST. I read about it online, I had never heard of it before. Excited, I told my dad and we were set on adding it as part of the club. So, we jumped into FTC. This was my first ever robotics experience, and it was thrilling. We built a small bot that had a forklift at the front of it, a conveyor in it, and could pick up balls, put them in crates, stack crates, etc. We won 2nd place at our regional, and the PTC Creo Design Award. I was EXCITED, especially that we, as a rookie team, were able to do this, and how much fun it was.

So then came FRC. These past two or so months, have, as it has been said many times before, "the hardest fun" I ever had. Our school, which had never had any engineering backbone to it, now had FRC. People were engaged. We had 15 regular team members who attended often and enjoyed it as much as I do. Most of them were freshman, although we do have a sprinkle of every grade.

My point is, I want to get people in our school as excited about FIRST, Technology, Science, and Engineering as many other FIRST teams, schools, and communities have been successful at. We're doing a lot of things to try and get our school and the community to get engaged, but part of our attempts have been to have FIRST Robotics become a Varsity sport at the school. We've heard it many times before, FIRST is the Varsity Sport of the mind, so lets make it so.

I hope you will help us in our mission to do so by signing our online petition. It takes just one minute, and it will help us spread the news of our existence (Team 3992 & FIRST) to our school, surrounding schools, and the community.

Thank you for taking the time to read this and helping us, I deeply appreciate it.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: