OCCRA
Go to Post Successful FIRST team members know they always can improve themselves, not just as a FIRST team, but as people who can offer something of value to society. - [more]
Home
Go Back   Chief Delphi > FIRST > General Forum
CD-Events   CD-Media   CD-Spy   FRC-Spy  
portal register members calendar search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ rules

#1   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-26-2012, 10:11 PM
Unsung FIRST Hero Woodie Flowers Award
My Other Car is a 500 HP Turbine
FRC #0234 (Cyber Blue)
Team Role: Engineer

Rookie Year: 1942
Chris Fultz has a reputation beyond reputeChris Fultz has a reputation beyond reputeChris Fultz has a reputation beyond reputeChris Fultz has a reputation beyond reputeChris Fultz has a reputation beyond reputeChris Fultz has a reputation beyond reputeChris Fultz has a reputation beyond reputeChris Fultz has a reputation beyond reputeChris Fultz has a reputation beyond reputeChris Fultz has a reputation beyond reputeChris Fultz has a reputation beyond repute
Think, Write, Re-Think, Erase or Post, Deal With It

Some of the threads are supporting some very good, candid discussion, but there are many posters who are posting and then having "poster-remorse" and deleting their post or asking moderators to delete their posts.

Back when we all wrote letters and used stamps and mailmen, there was a saying that if you have a confrontational letter to write, you should write it, read it, then put it in a drawer for a day. Then go back and read it and decide if you still want to send it. Most of the times those letters never get sent after the cool-off period.

With electronic communications, that is harder to do, so you have to check yourself before making some posts. Re-read what you write, decide it you want to post it or delay. If you delay, you can think about it over night and then decide if you really wanted to say what you said. Once you post it, it is pretty much there for all and really, really hard to take back. And yes, what you post does reflect on you and your team, regardless of your disclaimers.

Think, Write, Re-Think, Erase or Poste - and Deal With it Either Way.
2010 - Woodie Flowers Award - Championship
  #2   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-26-2012, 10:26 PM
DaBears til 13 turned Free Agent 14
AKA: Michael Hawley
no team (Free Agent)
Team Role: Scout

Rookie Year: 2006
xSAWxBLADEx will become famous soon enoughxSAWxBLADEx will become famous soon enough
Send a message via MSN to xSAWxBLADEx
Re: Think, Write, Re-Think, Erase or Post, Deal With It

Thank you very much for taking my thoughts and posting them. I actually noticed this when I deleted my first post. There are way too much deletions on this forum. My suggestion is just think before you post just like you think before you speak.
2009-Traverse City District Competition Champions with 85 and 2645 / Traverse City District Competition Chairman's Award / Michigan State Championship Finalists with 1918 and 904 / Championship Finalist with 217 and 68
2013-Grand Blanc District Competition Champions with 33 and 1718

#3   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-27-2012, 12:36 AM
(Insert witty comment here)
FRC #0057 (The Leopards)
Team Role: Mentor

Rookie Year: 1998
Kevin Sevcik has a reputation beyond reputeKevin Sevcik has a reputation beyond reputeKevin Sevcik has a reputation beyond reputeKevin Sevcik has a reputation beyond reputeKevin Sevcik has a reputation beyond reputeKevin Sevcik has a reputation beyond reputeKevin Sevcik has a reputation beyond reputeKevin Sevcik has a reputation beyond reputeKevin Sevcik has a reputation beyond reputeKevin Sevcik has a reputation beyond reputeKevin Sevcik has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Kevin Sevcik Send a message via Yahoo to Kevin Sevcik

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Fultz View Post
Back when we all wrote letters and used stamps and mailmen, there was a saying that if you have a confrontational letter to write, you should write it, read it, then put it in a drawer for a day.
No, surely not! No one was alive back then! (Someone had to say it)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Fultz View Post
Think, Write, Re-Think, Erase or Poste - and Deal With it Either Way.
I can definitively say my post count on CD would be rather higher without this rule. And the average quality would be rather lower if I actually submitted all those posts. On the other hand, my blood pressure would be higher if I hadn't written them in the first place. It's a win-win! Well... except for my free time. Hmmm....

A+ to Chris for reminding us all that you don't HAVE to hit submit just because you spent the last 15 minutes fuming and typing up a post. And that you own it once you do hit that button.

Lone Star Regional Troubleshooter
  #4   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-27-2012, 12:43 AM
FRC #0840 (ART)
Team Role: Alumni

Rookie Year: 2005
bduddy has a reputation beyond reputebduddy has a reputation beyond reputebduddy has a reputation beyond reputebduddy has a reputation beyond reputebduddy has a reputation beyond reputebduddy has a reputation beyond reputebduddy has a reputation beyond reputebduddy has a reputation beyond reputebduddy has a reputation beyond reputebduddy has a reputation beyond reputebduddy has a reputation beyond repute

I've probably backed out from more posts on CD than I've actually submitted... this has almost certainly avoided making a lot of people angry, and quite possibly avoided some interesting discussions. Just remember that you can always save a post (in Notepad or wherever) and come back to it later... but once you've submitted something, even if you click "Delete" you can never really take it back.

*generic TBA signature*
  #5   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-27-2012, 01:14 AM
New year, new team
FRC #1197 (Torbots)

Rookie Year: 2003
EricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond reputeEricH has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to EricH

Quite often, in the more "hot topic" posts (especially mentor-built accusation threads), I find myself typing up a very hot-under-the-collar response. I usually delete it before it's posted. I have also been known to post something to the effect of "You really need to search around, this thread is not a good idea. I don't trust myself to answer professionally right now; I'll post more later when I've had time to get my thoughts in order."

If a post is on a serious topic, I can sometimes spend 20 minutes and 3-4 major edits before I deem it ready to post, if I don't decide that it's not a good idea to post. In such cases, I tend to use the "Preview Post" button (next to "Submit Reply", as it happens) to both see how the post will look in the thread and see if there has been any activity since I started typing that I think I should include a response to--it's a lot easier to read one post than two, IMO.
2012: FRC4046 Schroedinger's Dragons

Read the rules and make a picklist before thinking about winning a competition.

"Rockets are tricky..."--Elon Musk
  #6   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-27-2012, 07:10 PM
AKA: Simon Bohn
FRC #0639 (Code Red)

Rookie Year: 2010
Grim Tuesday has a reputation beyond reputeGrim Tuesday has a reputation beyond reputeGrim Tuesday has a reputation beyond reputeGrim Tuesday has a reputation beyond reputeGrim Tuesday has a reputation beyond reputeGrim Tuesday has a reputation beyond reputeGrim Tuesday has a reputation beyond reputeGrim Tuesday has a reputation beyond reputeGrim Tuesday has a reputation beyond reputeGrim Tuesday has a reputation beyond reputeGrim Tuesday has a reputation beyond repute

I didn't use to read and reread my posts before posting them. Then I joined Chief Delphi, the most serious and professional forum on the internet. I think that before posting anything, you should remember that you have a team number above your post, and read it from they lens.

-Buckeye Regional Champion 2013, 2014
-Newton Division Finalists 2012 thanks to 68 and 330
  #7   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-27-2012, 07:38 PM
FTC Mentor, FRC Inspector
AKA: Dan Glenn
FTC #6565 (Stuffed Dragons)

Rookie Year: 2007
sandiegodan is a name known to allsandiegodan is a name known to allsandiegodan is a name known to allsandiegodan is a name known to allsandiegodan is a name known to allsandiegodan is a name known to all

Self examination:

Does it need to be said?
Does it need to be said now?
Does it need to be said now by me?

Yes, I understand the irony in posting this.
2013 FRC Inspector, Central Valley, San Diego(LRI), Los Angeles, Inland Empire, Galileo
2012 FRC Inspector, San Diego, Los Angeles, Central Valley, Newton
2009-2012 FRC Mentor Team 1622 Spyder Poway HS
2007-2008 FRC Mentor Team 2658 Pedestrian Rancho Bernardo HS
  #8   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-27-2012, 07:58 PM
Feeling Honorable
FRC #1676 (Pascack PI Oneers)

Rookie Year: 2005
DonRotolo has a reputation beyond reputeDonRotolo has a reputation beyond reputeDonRotolo has a reputation beyond reputeDonRotolo has a reputation beyond reputeDonRotolo has a reputation beyond reputeDonRotolo has a reputation beyond reputeDonRotolo has a reputation beyond reputeDonRotolo has a reputation beyond reputeDonRotolo has a reputation beyond reputeDonRotolo has a reputation beyond reputeDonRotolo has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah, I write about twice as many posts as I actually post. And the more important posts get thought about and re-written a lot.

I am N2IRZ - What's your callsign?
  #9   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 05-02-2012, 09:06 AM
Chase perfection. Catch excellence.
AKA: Let's bring CD back to the way it used to be
FRC #0125 (NU-TRONs, Team #11 Alumni (GO MORT))

Rookie Year: 2001
Brandon Holley has a reputation beyond reputeBrandon Holley has a reputation beyond reputeBrandon Holley has a reputation beyond reputeBrandon Holley has a reputation beyond reputeBrandon Holley has a reputation beyond reputeBrandon Holley has a reputation beyond reputeBrandon Holley has a reputation beyond reputeBrandon Holley has a reputation beyond reputeBrandon Holley has a reputation beyond reputeBrandon Holley has a reputation beyond reputeBrandon Holley has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Brandon Holley

Reported.

NUTRONs (Team 125) '05-???
2007 Boston Regional Winners
2008 & 2009 Boston Regional Driving Tomorrow's Technology Award
2010 Boston Regional Creativity Award
2011 Bayou Regional Finalists, Innovation in Control Award, Boston Regional Finalists, Industrial Design Award
2012 New York City Regional Winners, Boston Regional Finalists, IRI Mentor of the Year
2013 Orlando Regional Finalists, Industrial Design Award, Boston Regional Winners, Pine Tree Regional Finalists
2014 Rhode Island District Winners, Excellence in Engineering Award, Northeastern University District Winners, Undefeated 18-0, Industrial Design Award, Pine Tree District Chairman's Award, Pine Tree District Winners
  #10   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 05-02-2012, 11:01 AM
Coach - Team 1718
FRC #1718 (The Fighting Pi)
Team Role: Coach

Rookie Year: 2001
Craig Roys has a reputation beyond reputeCraig Roys has a reputation beyond reputeCraig Roys has a reputation beyond reputeCraig Roys has a reputation beyond reputeCraig Roys has a reputation beyond reputeCraig Roys has a reputation beyond reputeCraig Roys has a reputation beyond reputeCraig Roys has a reputation beyond reputeCraig Roys has a reputation beyond reputeCraig Roys has a reputation beyond reputeCraig Roys has a reputation beyond repute

If nothing else, the deleted post brought this thread back near the top. With all the opinions flying around, it might be a good idea for people to re-read this.
2014 FIRST Championship, Curie Field - 2nd seed; Finalists

#11   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 05-02-2012, 11:43 AM
The scariest person in FIRST
AKA: Aviana Knochel, a.k.a. WIG GIRL
FRC #0118 (The Robonauts)

Rookie Year: 2008
Astrokid248 has a reputation beyond reputeAstrokid248 has a reputation beyond reputeAstrokid248 has a reputation beyond reputeAstrokid248 has a reputation beyond reputeAstrokid248 has a reputation beyond reputeAstrokid248 has a reputation beyond reputeAstrokid248 has a reputation beyond reputeAstrokid248 has a reputation beyond reputeAstrokid248 has a reputation beyond reputeAstrokid248 has a reputation beyond reputeAstrokid248 has a reputation beyond repute

Agreed. I just had my first experience with posting something stupid and editing it out (thank you for PMing me and saving all parties much embarrassment, Chris is Me, you're a wonderful person), and I'm officially following this guide now. CD is great because it's one of the few places on the internet where politeness is actually put on a pedestal, instead of frowned upon or drowned out in flame wars.
Me: * facepalm *
-----------------

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: