OCCRA
Go to Post I didn't get inspired watching my peers and I, I was inspired watching professionals. - AdamHeard [more]
Home
Go Back   Chief Delphi > Technical > Electrical > CAN
CD-Events   CD-Media   CD-Spy   FRC-Spy  
portal register members calendar search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ rules

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
  #46   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-08-2012, 01:28 AM
National Instruments
AKA: Joe Hershberger
FRC #2468 (Appreciate)
Team Role: Mentor

Rookie Year: 1997
jhersh has a reputation beyond reputejhersh has a reputation beyond reputejhersh has a reputation beyond reputejhersh has a reputation beyond reputejhersh has a reputation beyond reputejhersh has a reputation beyond reputejhersh has a reputation beyond reputejhersh has a reputation beyond reputejhersh has a reputation beyond reputejhersh has a reputation beyond reputejhersh has a reputation beyond repute
Re: 2012: Tuning the Jaguar's Speed Control PID Loop

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjcoss View Post
It's a bit erratic and it may well be just noise. I played a little more with it tonight, and feel like it is stable enough. One thing that I meant to mention, and was a bit surprised by was that the Get[() function on the Jaguars just return the set point, not the current speed. We have the encoder signal split, going to the digital side card, and I've been using the digital side card encoder to track the performance of the speed control.

I expected that the Jaguar would have reported the current speed, not the set point. I played some with the D term but got nothing useful.

---Michael J Coss
You need to use GetStatus to find the measured speed. The headers / context help contains information. You should read it.

-Joe
  #47   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-08-2012, 03:12 PM
FRC #0303

mjcoss is a jewel in the roughmjcoss is a jewel in the roughmjcoss is a jewel in the roughmjcoss is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhersh View Post
You need to use GetStatus to find the measured speed. The headers / context help contains information. You should read it.

-Joe
My CANJaguar.h does not have a GetStatus method, nor does the WindRiver IDE show any method by that name for my CANJaguar object. And I do look at the headers.

---Michael J Coss
  #48   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-08-2012, 04:48 PM
Software Engineer
FRC #0492 (Titan Robotics)

Rookie Year: 2008
mikets is a glorious beacon of lightmikets is a glorious beacon of lightmikets is a glorious beacon of lightmikets is a glorious beacon of lightmikets is a glorious beacon of lightmikets is a glorious beacon of light

My impression is that GetStatus is a LabView thing not for WindRiver C++.
  #49   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-08-2012, 06:07 PM
National Instruments
FRC #2468 (Appreciate)

jhersh has a reputation beyond reputejhersh has a reputation beyond reputejhersh has a reputation beyond reputejhersh has a reputation beyond reputejhersh has a reputation beyond reputejhersh has a reputation beyond reputejhersh has a reputation beyond reputejhersh has a reputation beyond reputejhersh has a reputation beyond reputejhersh has a reputation beyond reputejhersh has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
My CANJaguar.h does not have a GetStatus method, nor does the WindRiver IDE show any method by that name for my CANJaguar object. And I do look at the headers.
Sorry... I had the wrong name... GetSpeed()

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikets View Post
My impression is that GetStatus is a LabView thing not for WindRiver C++.
You are correct... I forgot that the C++ implementation calls out the status each separately.
  #50   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-08-2012, 06:10 PM
National Instruments
FRC #2468 (Appreciate)

Quote:
Code:
/**
 * Get the recently set outputValue setpoint.
 * The scale and the units depend on the mode the Jaguar is in.
 * In PercentVbus Mode, the outputValue is from -1.0 to 1.0 (same as PWM Jaguar).
 * In Voltage Mode, the outputValue is in Volts.
 * In Current Mode, the outputValue is in Amps.
 * In Speed Mode, the outputValue is in Rotations/Minute.
 * In Position Mode, the outputValue is in Rotations.
 * @return The most recently set outputValue setpoint.
 */
float CANJaguar::Get()
Code:
/**
 * Get the speed of the encoder.
 * @return The speed of the motor in RPM based on the configured feedback.
 */
double CANJaguar::GetSpeed()
  #51   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-12-2012, 06:24 PM
FRC #0303

mjcoss is a jewel in the roughmjcoss is a jewel in the roughmjcoss is a jewel in the roughmjcoss is a jewel in the rough

Yes. Mea culpa

While I was looking for the GetStatus(), I found GetSpeed(). Meant to mention that in the post.

---Michael J Coss
  #52   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-13-2012, 01:56 PM
FRC #0353

6xpoppy is an unknown quantity at this point

My name is Martin Kanner (an old time controls engineer) and I have been mentoring for team 353 for 6 years. I marveled at the technology of the PID but I coudln't see how it could be applied in an engineering fashion with the information available. My basic point is that a closed loop is designed for performance and stability. This is not to be accomplished by trial and erorr. My experience has been with the application of Bode analysis and Bode plots. I have completed 3 files so far entitled "The PID Revisited". I expect to complete two more files to be complete. I believe they contain the basics for designing closed loops. If anyone is interested, I'll e-mail PID11, PID22 and
PID33. They are pretty short but I believe contain some simple but important fundamentals. My e-mail is, msixxpoppy@hotmail.com
  #53   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 03-13-2012, 02:24 PM
systems engineer (retired)
no team

Rookie Year: 1969
Ether has a reputation beyond reputeEther has a reputation beyond reputeEther has a reputation beyond reputeEther has a reputation beyond reputeEther has a reputation beyond reputeEther has a reputation beyond reputeEther has a reputation beyond reputeEther has a reputation beyond reputeEther has a reputation beyond reputeEther has a reputation beyond reputeEther has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6xpoppy View Post
If anyone is interested, I'll e-mail PID11, PID22 and PID33. They are pretty short but I believe contain some simple but important fundamentals.
Would you mind just posting them here as a ZIP attachment?

#54   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-04-2012, 11:48 PM
Controls Engineer
AKA: Kevin
FRC #2168 (Aluminum Falcons)
Team Role: Engineer

Rookie Year: 2004
NotInControl has a brilliant futureNotInControl has a brilliant futureNotInControl has a brilliant futureNotInControl has a brilliant futureNotInControl has a brilliant futureNotInControl has a brilliant futureNotInControl has a brilliant futureNotInControl has a brilliant futureNotInControl has a brilliant futureNotInControl has a brilliant futureNotInControl has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by vamfun View Post
Funny, I always though it was the other way around. The Z-N methods were ment for guys that didn't understand control theory. The cookbook method was a way a plant manager could get his plant under control if he was unable to model the dynamics and apply control theory. The PID is a similar device.

Anyway, I took a look at your video and code. You did a great job and I wish our team had the capability. We are using C++ and I have longed for that data/plotting capability to tune the PID loops. I know teams like 254 have used a similar data loging scheme that reads the data bus and plots it using a custom LV GUI. Have you done any of this with C++ or can you offer some suggestions on the best way to set PID constants on the DS , send them to the robot and retrieve the sensor data and display it.

This year for our team we used Java... and with the help of the SmartDashbaord I have created a GUI for PID tuning that I used on our 2012 bot. Since We were running our own custom PID controllers on the CRIO this was very helpful.

So while I haven't done it with C++ per se, the code in java and the smartdashboard can help you get similar functionality.

I also worked on a new tutorial for tuning gains, using Matlab and Simulink, in order to get a more accurate controller. The method of tuning is the same as in my original video, but the method for modeling is different.

In the previous videos modeling of the plant was done using parameters provided by the datasheets of the motor and physical modeling techniques. However, there is always error between the model and the apparatus because of parameter mismatch.

The new method is based on taking measured data by running the actual system and logging to the file its performance to a step response, and using that data in matlab to perform parameter estimation. The estimated system is a far better realization of the plant model and allows for a more accurate controller design the first time around.

I am trying to find the time to post all this stuff, its just been hard. - My apologies
  #55   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 10-29-2013, 04:02 PM
FRC #1559

gpetilli is just really nicegpetilli is just really nicegpetilli is just really nicegpetilli is just really nicegpetilli is just really nice

I had the same idea of predicting the step response. Attached is my cut at estimating PID values of the drive train UNDER LOAD (without risk of crashing into walls). I have not tried this on the actual robot yet, but it will hopefully be a good starting point.

I have updated the post with a new excel to correct some typos
Attached Files
File Type: xlsx Drivetrain_Model_KOP2013.xlsx (208.8 KB, 15 views)
  #56   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 10-31-2013, 02:24 PM
FRC #1559

gpetilli is just really nicegpetilli is just really nicegpetilli is just really nicegpetilli is just really nicegpetilli is just really nice

1) Updated with PID in either robot FPS or motor RPS.
2) Improved wheel slip to use either static or kinetic friction based on previous state.
Attached Files
File Type: xlsx Drivetrain_Model_KOP2013.xlsx (212.2 KB, 20 views)

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: