OCCRA
Go to Post so, i want the clue now, okay? is it bad that i am more interested in this years game than i am in taking my finals next week? - jwfoss [more]
Home
Go Back   Chief Delphi > FIRST > General Forum
CD-Events   CD-Media   CD-Spy   FRC-Spy  
portal register members calendar search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ rules

#1   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-23-2012, 03:00 AM
Build Lead
AKA: Justice Greer
FRC #2557 (Sota Bots)
Team Role: Engineer

Rookie Year: 2009
ButtonUp_Goddess is an unknown quantity at this point
Inbounders!

I haven't seen any posts on how successful the inbounders are doing so I decided to make this one. Hitting the rim is no problem for me, it's just the when the ball curves that throws me off.

Last edited by ButtonUp_Goddess : 04-23-2012 at 07:37 PM.
  #2   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-23-2012, 03:04 AM
FRC #0840 (ART)
Team Role: Alumni

Rookie Year: 2005
bduddy has a reputation beyond reputebduddy has a reputation beyond reputebduddy has a reputation beyond reputebduddy has a reputation beyond reputebduddy has a reputation beyond reputebduddy has a reputation beyond reputebduddy has a reputation beyond reputebduddy has a reputation beyond reputebduddy has a reputation beyond reputebduddy has a reputation beyond reputebduddy has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Inbounders!

I was quite surprised to see the balls curve myself, but it's definitely there. I observed that, when people threw the balls in a sort of quarterback style (giving it a "spiral" spin), the ball would curve right quite a bit (a couple inches? More than enough to make a difference) if thrown by a right-hander.

*generic TBA signature*
  #3   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-23-2012, 08:13 AM
EINSTEIN!
FRC #0067 (The HOT Team)
Team Role: Coach

Rookie Year: 2005
Adam Freeman has a reputation beyond reputeAdam Freeman has a reputation beyond reputeAdam Freeman has a reputation beyond reputeAdam Freeman has a reputation beyond reputeAdam Freeman has a reputation beyond reputeAdam Freeman has a reputation beyond reputeAdam Freeman has a reputation beyond reputeAdam Freeman has a reputation beyond reputeAdam Freeman has a reputation beyond reputeAdam Freeman has a reputation beyond reputeAdam Freeman has a reputation beyond repute

How successful an inbounder is, has nothing to do with making baskets in the last 30sec of the match.

It has everything to do with how accurately he can feed a robot that is shooting 90% during the rest of the match.

2005 FIRST World Champions (330, 67, 503)
2009 FIRST World Champions (111, 67, 971)
2010 FIRST World Champions (294, 67, 177)
  #4   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-23-2012, 08:46 AM
Still 0 blue banners...
AKA: Wing
FRC #1648 (G3 Robotics)
Team Role: Mentor

Rookie Year: 2008
Anupam Goli has a reputation beyond reputeAnupam Goli has a reputation beyond reputeAnupam Goli has a reputation beyond reputeAnupam Goli has a reputation beyond reputeAnupam Goli has a reputation beyond reputeAnupam Goli has a reputation beyond reputeAnupam Goli has a reputation beyond reputeAnupam Goli has a reputation beyond reputeAnupam Goli has a reputation beyond reputeAnupam Goli has a reputation beyond reputeAnupam Goli has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Anupam Goli

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam Freeman View Post
How successful an inbounder is, has nothing to do with making baskets in the last 30sec of the match.

It has everything to do with how accurately he can feed a robot that is shooting 90% during the rest of the match.
A challenger (to the OP) appeared!

Anyway, i quite agree with Adam. The inbounders who can consistently feed basketballs to their bots on the other side of the bump will be a MUCH LARGER factor in matches than the ones that can make the occasional shot during the last 30 seconds. I'm not taking anything away from the masters of the hail mary shots, but 90 seconds of consistent feeding will outscore 30 seconds of Hail Mary shots.
Georgia Institute of Technology Class of 2016
I wish everyone a great season, and good luck!
  #5   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-23-2012, 09:01 AM
AKA: Michael Chau
FRC #0085 (B.O.B. (Built on Brains))
Team Role: Alumni

Rookie Year: 2010
MagiChau is just really niceMagiChau is just really niceMagiChau is just really niceMagiChau is just really nice

I have seen some skillful inbounding across the field. Something not mentioned explicitly is accurate end position. Placing the ball by the robot so it doesn't have to chase saves vital seconds. I have seen balls roll in to an awaiting robot's intake system. Be able to vary the path of the inbounded ball. Being predictable allows the other alliance's robot to steal or block balls easily.

My $0.02 on inbounding.
  #6   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-23-2012, 09:04 AM
John Rangel
FRC #0842 (Falcon Robotics)

Rangel(kf7fdb) has a brilliant futureRangel(kf7fdb) has a brilliant futureRangel(kf7fdb) has a brilliant futureRangel(kf7fdb) has a brilliant futureRangel(kf7fdb) has a brilliant futureRangel(kf7fdb) has a brilliant futureRangel(kf7fdb) has a brilliant futureRangel(kf7fdb) has a brilliant futureRangel(kf7fdb) has a brilliant futureRangel(kf7fdb) has a brilliant futureRangel(kf7fdb) has a brilliant future

We have found that having an inbounder who is both completely aware of the game and can get a ball over the bump in many ways to be a great benefit. The inbounder needs to know if the other alliance is playing defense on them, must predict that robot's actions and correctly get a ball through them. Therefore it helps if you can accurately bounce a ball over the bridge, over the coopertition bridge, and over the bump.
2011 Newton Quarterfinalists
2012 Dean's List Winner
2012-2013 Team President
2013 8th Place Robosub Competition
2014-? Mentor

#7   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-23-2012, 09:21 AM
Technokat's Kodekat
FRC #0045 (Technokats)
Team Role: Programmer

Rookie Year: 2011
Clayton Yocom will become famous soon enoughClayton Yocom will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to Clayton Yocom Send a message via MSN to Clayton Yocom Send a message via Yahoo to Clayton Yocom Send a message via Skype™ to Clayton Yocom
Did you see Queen City F-2? 781's inbounder scored a 2pt shot that (well, kinda) won the regional. That's definately something I can see happening more often on Einstein.
  #8   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-23-2012, 09:38 AM
Still 0 blue banners...
FRC #1648 (G3 Robotics)

Anupam Goli has a reputation beyond reputeAnupam Goli has a reputation beyond reputeAnupam Goli has a reputation beyond reputeAnupam Goli has a reputation beyond reputeAnupam Goli has a reputation beyond reputeAnupam Goli has a reputation beyond reputeAnupam Goli has a reputation beyond reputeAnupam Goli has a reputation beyond reputeAnupam Goli has a reputation beyond reputeAnupam Goli has a reputation beyond reputeAnupam Goli has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clayton Yocom View Post
Did you see Queen City F-2? 781's inbounder scored a 2pt shot that (well, kinda) won the regional. That's definately something I can see happening more often on Einstein.
That was quite an awesome match, but to say that same situation will happen on Einstein is a bit much. There's way too many variables to measure there. Assuming all alliances are balanced, then it will all come down to strategic execution. It's VERY HARD to have a tie in this game, going into the last 15 seconds.
  #9   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-23-2012, 09:41 AM
Build Lead
AKA: Justice Greer
FRC #2557 (Sota Bots)
Team Role: Engineer

ButtonUp_Goddess is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam Freeman View Post

Oh, sorry this post was for all-around success. I guess feeding balls has come to ease to me on our practice field.
  #10   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-23-2012, 10:13 AM
Technokat's Kodekat
FRC #0045 (Technokats)

Clayton Yocom will become famous soon enoughClayton Yocom will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to Clayton Yocom Send a message via MSN to Clayton Yocom Send a message via Yahoo to Clayton Yocom Send a message via Skype™ to Clayton Yocom
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wing View Post
That was quite an awesome match, but to say that same situation will happen on Einstein is a bit much. There's way too many variables to measure there. Assuming all alliances are balanced, then it will all come down to strategic execution. It's VERY HARD to have a tie in this game, going into the last 15 seconds.
I meant HPs making baskets in the last 30s. I think that the teams destined for Einstein are going to try to be making at least 2-3 HP baskets per game. That will win games. 9-4 pts is not a little, especially if they starve the field of balls and make HP shots be almost the only shots taken.
  #11   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-23-2012, 10:24 AM
Still 0 blue banners...
FRC #1648 (G3 Robotics)

It's an interesting theory, we'll see how Einstein goes. Will ball starving be existent though? You could argue that if a human player is good enough to pass a ball directly to their robot, then starving won't be needed, and the difference in the match won't be decided by hail mary shots. However, if starving is rampant, or one team starves the other, those hail mary shots might be really important.

Last edited by Anupam Goli : 04-23-2012 at 10:46 AM.
  #12   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-23-2012, 10:26 AM
Dare greatly
no team (Referees)

Rookie Year: 2007
Siri has a reputation beyond reputeSiri has a reputation beyond reputeSiri has a reputation beyond reputeSiri has a reputation beyond reputeSiri has a reputation beyond reputeSiri has a reputation beyond reputeSiri has a reputation beyond reputeSiri has a reputation beyond reputeSiri has a reputation beyond reputeSiri has a reputation beyond reputeSiri has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via ICQ to Siri

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wing View Post
It's an interesting theory, we'll see how Einstein goes. Will ball starving be existent though? You could argue that if a human player is good enough to pass a ball directly to the opponent, then starving won't be needed...
I think you're going to see a lot of inbounder blocking in elims.

I hope they start calling hoarding fouls again.
  #13   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-23-2012, 10:44 AM
Technokat's Kodekat
FRC #0045 (Technokats)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siri View Post
I hope they start calling hoarding fouls again.
On the robots or the human players?
  #14   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-23-2012, 10:49 AM
FRC #3310 (Black Hawk Robotics)

Rookie Year: 2010
JohnSchneider has a reputation beyond reputeJohnSchneider has a reputation beyond reputeJohnSchneider has a reputation beyond reputeJohnSchneider has a reputation beyond reputeJohnSchneider has a reputation beyond reputeJohnSchneider has a reputation beyond reputeJohnSchneider has a reputation beyond reputeJohnSchneider has a reputation beyond reputeJohnSchneider has a reputation beyond reputeJohnSchneider has a reputation beyond reputeJohnSchneider has a reputation beyond repute

Our inbounder actually had shoulder surgery right before the season started so he has trouble throwing the ball down through the slot normally.

Instead he uses a full-body-thrusting motion(Sort of like a "drop it") - that while fun to mock - makes him the most accurate of any inbounder Ive seen.

In 2 events hes only ever missed getting 2 balls over the fender. And both times it was because a robot drove in the way.
  #15   Spotlight this post!  
Unread 04-23-2012, 10:55 AM
Dare greatly
no team (Referees)

Rookie Year: 2007
Siri has a reputation beyond reputeSiri has a reputation beyond reputeSiri has a reputation beyond reputeSiri has a reputation beyond reputeSiri has a reputation beyond reputeSiri has a reputation beyond reputeSiri has a reputation beyond reputeSiri has a reputation beyond reputeSiri has a reputation beyond reputeSiri has a reputation beyond reputeSiri has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via ICQ to Siri

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clayton Yocom View Post
On the robots or the human players?
Human players. Drives me crazy when we're blocking the inbounder slot.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: